• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Distances fitness versus tiredness

Locksley

Time of past OR future Camino
“September 2018”
Hi, when others have walked a Camino in the past, have they found they are able to walk further as they get fitter on the Camino or do tired legs counteract the fitness? I’m on the Camino Frances now, currently just outside Logroño and melting in the heat

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I start with only little training my fitness increases walking the camino. After a week it is a great difference. 30 km feel like 20 km felt the first day. After 2 weeks Walking 30 km plus presents no Problem to me. But I can only tell from my experience of 3 weeks continous Walking, never did a long-term camino so far.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Everyone is different - I left an office job and started my Camino without any prior fitness training - Frankly, I was out of shape. The first 15km stage felt hard. By the end of the first week, I had enough puff to walk 25km and I continued to get fitter through the Camino.
On one of the last days of my Camino, however, I stopped after just 18km. My body could have gone on, but my mind said "rest."

Hello Locksley
The answer to that is pretty simple but can vary greatly due to circumstances. Three years ago walking from Geneva i could cover 20 kms no problem. By the time I reached the Norte, (50 days later) 30 kms became the norm. Now I am on the Piemont/ Pyrenees route and have been walking just over two weeks in this heat 30+C each afternoon and I'm happy to cover 20-22 kms a day. I'm also 3 years older than on my previous camino and now I don't really think too much about a daily destination but where accommodation might be. And a short distance is just fine.
Bon chemin

Last edited:
In Pamlona now on caRmino with my aging father and can confirm it is mighty warm.

I think you definitely do gain fitness as time passes and a strategically placed rest day here and there can be very refreshing, rests in Burgos and Leon works for me.

However I think the heat plays a massive part, as a rule of thumb I always reckon that a kilometre walked after noon is twice as hard as one walked earlier. Breaking up the day also helps.

Buen Camino.

Rob.

Last edited:
I've been sitting in the shade out front the gite thinking more about walking and fitness. Like I and several others have noted - walking in the heat is not pleasant. You want it to be (somewhat) fun. One has to remind oneself that it is "the way" and not the destination. I won't reach Santiago this camino, but I will be back, maybe not this year but I will experience the joy of walking into the square in front of the cathedral once more.
Bon chemin

In just my local training I find it easier to go farther in shorter time as I continue to train. Heat slows me down and wears me out. Cool foggy days I seem to have endless energy. I have yet to cross the 6M mark but am closing in. Poles help too! I began about 7 weeks ago and was nearly ruined by a 2.8M walk. Quickly my legs, feet and mind adjusted. I imagine you will find similar results.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are tonight at Lorca and the day was extremely brutal with the heat. And because we are slower, we were exposed longer. Coming into Lorca I felt like I really needed to sit down and never get up. And we had had about two litres of water each and two bottles of Powerade. We have never regretted our ages nor wanted to be younger, but today we seriously would’ve traded some of those young healthy legs. Pity we don’t have anything tho trade.

At the beginning I need to get into the all-day-walking mindset. Once that happens, I don't spend the day expecting the destination to be just around the next corner, so I am not disappointed and tired when I realize I have 10 more km to walk. I don't know how much one's physical fitness can be increased in a few weeks, especially when we are not allowing much physical recovery time. By week 4, I can trudge along all day but in fact my body is getting progressively tired. Perhaps more attention to rest days would help that.

Last edited:
Hi Lockslie, my experience was each day was easier for my legs but after about 4 weeks (with 3 left to go), I was becoming fatigued. Any day of heat slowed me down tremendously no matter how much fluid I drank. Please do not push yourself in the heat; people have died of heatstroke walking the Camino this summer. Listen to your body and don't walk after noon if you are too hot. You can search this site for info about heatstroke. If your legs hurt, take a rest day and ... rest. Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are so much different.
It depends on initial fitness level, your weight and height, weight of your pack, the terrain (hilly vs flat), temperature, how many in-between stops there are, how determine you are to reach exactly the certain destination.
On CF I could allowed myself walk only 8km in drizzle but I did 42km on Levante in scorching over 40C. No real recipe to that question but you will have ups and downs that's for sure. Just listen to your body (and mind) to avoid possible injuries.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are tonight at Lorca and the day was extremely brutal with the heat. And because we are slower, we were exposed longer. Coming into Lorca I felt like I really needed to sit down and never get up. And we had had about two litres of water each and two bottles of Powerade. We have never regretted our ages nor wanted to be younger, but today we seriously would’ve traded some of those young healthy legs. Pity we don’t have anything tho trade.
@MeandIan
At a guess, because you are older you have time to trade, instead of young legs. I know what it feels like to be an older pilgrim walking in the heat (last year on the VdlP). If you are exhausted after a very hot day, shorten your days. That is not so difficult to do on the camino Frances. If you get behind your schedule, give yourselves the possibility of taking transit (bus, train, taxi) to catch up before Sarria. If this is your first really long walk in hot conditions, you may not realize that your body is telling you to ease off, when you feel totally wiped out. Please do take care.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola from the Del Norte midpoint: 417 km done, 417 km to go until Santiago. Weather has been perfect: small overcast all day, light breeze, temps 21-23 Celcius. Been able to do a few 40+ km days, but trained for a month before I started the Camino del Norte. Here's the key: you need to be nice to the TOMORROW you. If you push too hard (drink too much vino), you pay tomorrow. Listen to your feet all the time which is easier if you walk alone. Finally, your biggest enemy is downhills - feels easier, but joint impact is massive: always use a stick. Proud of you all, Semper Deo Vincit!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all for sharing your experiences ... lots of useful advice. We decided to take it easy today, walking 10km to Logroño and experiencing a little of the fiesta.
Buen Camino to those currently walking!

I know everyone is different. I've found that walking too far or too quickly in really cold weather (ie snow etc) makes me muck more incline to injuries like tendinitis than longer stages in warm or hot weather. Just my experience.

In Pamlona now on caRmino with my aging father and can confirm it is mighty warm.

I think you definitely do gain fitness as time passes and a strategically placed rest day here and there can be very refreshing, rests in Burgos and Leon works for me.

However I think the heat plays a massive part, as a rule of thumb I always reckon that a kilometre walked after noon is twice as hard as one walked earlier. Breaking up the day also helps.

Buen Camino.

Rob.
Hi Dorpie - what a wonderful thing it is that you're on camino with your Dad - the times that you'll have out on those ancient, magical and sacred paths will really stay with you both.
Stay cool! Dunk your heads under the spouts at the water fountains on those hot days! I walked with David (fellow Forum member who is on the camino at the moment doing first aid) for a few days back in June and he and a lot of other pilgrims did this at the fountain at Zariquiegui and he said the feeling was amazing! I only go as far as soaking my hat and then plonking it back on my head, which is a pretty good feeling too!
Buen Camino to you and your precious Dad -
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Hi, when others have walked a Camino in the past, have they found they are able to walk further as they get fitter on the Camino or do tired legs counteract the fitness? I’m on the Camino Frances now, currently just outside Logroño and melting in the heat
You will get stronger but still have terrain challenges.

In general your muscles will get stronger and you probably will average longer distances towards the end, unless you start to get joint pain. The last three days before Santiago, my knees started aching. That continued for a month after my return, so I am glad I was done when I was done.

I will say some days I stopped after 8km and indulged in the luxury of an afternoon reading, preparing dinner with volunteers or napping. Another day was 40km. I enjoyed the freedom to choose what I felt was right.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I start with only little training my fitness increases walking the camino. After a week it is a great difference. 30 km feel like 20 km felt the first day. After 2 weeks Walking 30 km plus presents no Problem to me. But I can only tell from my experience of 3 weeks continous Walking, never did a long-term camino so far.
Aren’t you lucky! At 75 and three weeks 8 miles is all I can do so we supppement with rides. So be it.

Hola from the Del Norte midpoint: 417 km done, 417 km to go until Santiago. Weather has been perfect: small overcast all day, light breeze, temps 21-23 Celcius. Been able to do a few 40+ km days, but trained for a month before I started the Camino del Norte. Here's the key: you need to be nice to the TOMORROW you. If you push too hard (drink too much vino), you pay tomorrow. Listen to your feet all the time which is easier if you walk alone. Finally, your biggest enemy is downhills - feels easier, but joint impact is massive: always use a stick. Proud of you all, Semper Deo Vincit!
omg THIS --> be nice to the TOMORROW you. This shall be my new mantra. A heartfelt thanks :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I

I am where you are and the afternoon heat is kicking me in the rear. Now I am getting up early with a headlamp in the dark to avoid it. I am also mightily challenged at this stage.

At the beginning I need to get into the all-day-walking mindset. Once that happens, I don't spend the day expecting the destination to be just around the next corner, so I am not disappointed and tired

I like that mindset. Mind tricks can make all the difference. Thanks for a new one to add to my arsenal!!

Obviously, as I walk longer, my condition improves. But it is more than that, I also learn as I walk. This year, I walked the del Norte and the Primitivo, some 900 km's in 8 weeks. Near the end, I did not need to stop on any hill no matter how long or how steep. When I get tired, I now find out why I get tired, what do I do wrong? Is it my breathing, the frequency of my pacing, make smaller steps? I make my decision and after 5 minutes my tiredness has disappeared. What fun, especially learning this at my age of 82.
So much so that next week, I will walk de del Norte again, but now continue to Ferrol and further on the Camino Ingles - what fun!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did not feel the time pressure to walk more than 20 km each day. I did find over time that I could go uphill with fewer or no rest breaks.

Much depends on the weather, your state of mind, the companions you meet on your camino, the breaks you allow yourself.

In my experience rising early allows you plenty of time to walk and to avoid the main heat. I do not allow myself too many breaks, probably one after the first third, another after 2/3 of the aimed distance. Sometimes a longer (lunch) break gives you energy to walk on for another 5-6 km. But refrain from eating too much or drinking alkohol. Then I do not want to walk any further and the day is done. I rather plan these things as a reward at my final destination.

BC
Alexandra

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back