• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Distances on the Camino Portugues, Coastal Route

Hello!

This is Peregrina Nicole and I'm working in the new Oficina del Peregrino from July 15 to 31 as a volunteer. I haven't yet had time to do a 'Live from the New Oficina' update, but will have a go at doing this. The new location is not too far away from the old one but is in a quieter street and there is a lot more space. There is a RENFE (train) and Alsa (bus) office here as well as the Correos (Post Office) if you want to send things back home AND a left luggage place. One of the things that started last year was a 'distance certificate'. You still get the Compostela for free (if you are eligible) but for the distance certificate, you need to pay 3 euros. Tubes are still at 2 euros. The people working at the desks have databases with Latin names and distances, however, not all distances are covered. For example, all the info on distances we have on the Portuguese Route is from the central variant. However, more people are doing the coastal variant, which is described as being 'lovely'. We don't have an official document with these distances and yet people still want the distance certificate.

I've worked out by looking at the new credential that the coastal route goes from Porto to Povoa de Varzim to Viana do Castelo to Caminha to A Guardia to Vigo and then joints the central route at Redondela. I've been told that if you do the coastal variant from Porto should add 20km (i.e. 260 km central, 280km costal). However, this doesn't help people who started north of Porto. So if anyone has info on these distances, please let me know and I'll try to get the ball rolling in the Oficina.

Buen Camino a todos!

Peregrina Nicole

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There's the coastal route out of Porto. There's also the Senda Litoral out of Porto. And there's a coastal route all the way from Lisbon. You can find info about all of them on the web of Luis do Freixo: www.caminador.es I guess from all the info he offers (maps, tracks...) you shouldn't have problems to get the distances.

Hello!

This is Peregrina Nicole and I'm working in the new Oficina del Peregrino from July 15 to 31 as a volunteer. I haven't yet had time to do a 'Live from the New Oficina' update, but will have a go at doing this. The new location is not too far away from the old one but is in a quieter street and there is a lot more space. There is a RENFE (train) and Alsa (bus) office here as well as the Correos (Post Office) if you want to send things back home AND a left luggage place. One of the things that started last year was a 'distance certificate'. You still get the Compostela for free (if you are eligible) but for the distance certificate, you need to pay 3 euros. Tubes are still at 2 euros. The people working at the desks have databases with Latin names and distances, however, not all distances are covered. For example, all the info on distances we have on the Portuguese Route is from the central variant. However, more people are doing the coastal variant, which is described as being 'lovely'. We don't have an official document with these distances and yet people still want the distance certificate.

I've worked out by looking at the new credential that the coastal route goes from Porto to Povoa de Varzim to Viana do Castelo to Caminha to A Guardia to Vigo and then joints the central route at Redondela. I've been told that if you do the coastal variant from Porto should add 20km (i.e. 260 km central, 280km costal). However, this doesn't help people who started north of Porto. So if anyone has info on these distances, please let me know and I'll try to get the ball rolling in the Oficina.

Buen Camino a todos!

Peregrina Nicole
Porto Sé cathedral by the Douro riverside and the Atlantic coastline to Matosinhos 10km
Matosinhos to Vila do Conde 22 km albergue
Vila do Conde to Póvoa de Varzim 5 km albergue
Póvoa de Varzim to Esposende 22 km
Esposende to Viana do Castelo 19 km
Viana do Castelo to Caminha 23 km ferry quai
Caminho to A Guarda by ferry 4 km albergue
A Guarda to Mougas 18 km albergue
Mougas to Baiona 14 km
Baiona to Nigrán 8 km albergue
Nigrán to Vigo hotel ring 16 kms
Vigo center(hotel ring) to Redondela 18 km albergue
Redondela to Pontevedra 20 km albergue
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 21 km albergue o Cruceiro
Caldas de Reis to Padrón 18 km albergue
Padrón to Santiago de Compostela 23 km Cathedral

I count 261 km It may vary a bit but no more than 10 kms in total from Porto

Bom caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Obrigada for the quick response! I'll pass this onto the Oficina. A lot more people are doing the coastal route so the Oficina really does need to produce a separate official distance sheet for that route!

Bom caminho!

@Albertinho

I will doing my first Camino in early August. Because of time limitations, I will be starting in Baiona and following the coast for as much as possible until the route meets up at Rendondela to the Cathedral. From what I’ve read, this is still the route less traveled.

I will be taking the bus from Porto to Baiona. I was wondering if it will be difficult to find albergues on this route? Is there a compiled list? Is the route well marked?

Any information would be greatly appreciated from the seasoned travelers of this route.

Thanks.
Geri

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Albertinho

I will doing my first Camino in early August. Because of time limitations, I will be starting in Baiona and following the coast for as much as possible until the route meets up at Rendondela to the Cathedral. From what I’ve read, this is still the route less traveled.

I will be taking the bus from Porto to Baiona. I was wondering if it will be difficult to find albergues on this route? Is there a compiled list? Is the route well marked?

Any information would be greatly appreciated from the seasoned travelers of this route.

Thanks.
Geri
It is less travelled but you will have to cross a big city, named Vigo.

You could take the bus from Porto to Santiago-starts at Casa de Música metro stop in Porto-and leave the bus at the Vigo busstation. There is a bus to Baiona.
A time schedule I haven't now. Can't remember which buscompany it was to Baiona
The Porto to Santiago bus is from the ALSA buscompany.

Here is something about the bus from Vigo to Baiona
It is the ATSA buscompany and you look at the left colomn and search for a bus which goes as far as A Guarda. Two or three times a day .one at noon

http://atsahorarios.com/entrebaivigo.php

I see they only go on weekdays!?

Last edited:
I will be taking the bus from Porto to Baiona.

Hi Geri G! Welcome to the forum!

There aren't direct buses from Porto to Baiona. You can take a bus from Porto (either airport or downtown) to Vigo with either Autna (www.autna.com) or Alsa (www.alsa.es/en). Choose the bus Company which schedule suits you better. If you like train travel, there are a few trains from Porto to Vigo. From Vigo to Baiona, the bus Company is Atsa, as Albertinho said above.

I was wondering if it will be difficult to find albergues on this route? Is there a compiled list?

Take a look at the web of Luis do Freixo (www.caminador.es) for accommodations (alojamientos in Spanish) between Baiona and Redondela. From Redondela onwards, you can take a look, for example, at http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/portugues

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Geri G! Welcome to the forum!

There aren't direct buses from Porto to Baiona. You can take a bus from Porto (either airport or downtown) to Vigo with either Autna (www.autna.com) or Alsa (www.alsa.es/en). Choose the bus Company which schedule suits you better. If you like train travel, there are a few trains from Porto to Vigo. From Vigo to Baiona, the bus Company is Atsa, as Albertinho said above.

Take a look at the web of Luis do Freixo (www.caminador.es) for accommodations (alojamientos in Spanish) between Baiona and Redondela. From Redondela onwards, you can take a look, for example, at http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/portugues

Thank you for the info!!

Hey Guys and Gals,
I've walked the Camino Frances before with my brother a couple years back and loved it, so I know roughly what to expect. My girlfriend and I are keen to walk the Camino Portugues coastal route starting in Porto this year from about the 29th May to 14th June (15 walking days). Very much looking forward to being a Peregrino once again! :) I've been told the coastal route is a lot less travelled and takes about 10-12 days to complete but we want to take it nice and easy- by that I mean about 20 km a day stretches but have the freedom to stop for a rest day in coastal towns/villages when and where we like, and if we have time left over we may go to Finisterre. Ive obviously got a couple questions and thought I would put them to the veteran walkers and hope for the best! So any help greatly appreciated guys and gals!

1. What sort of cost is it along the coastal route, day to day? Are there frequent albergues? we want to do it on the cheap while also obviously donating and do our part to help keep it all ticking over. Also have occasional rest days in more lavish accommodation here and there. :)

2. Do you guys think it will be a race to get accommodation this time of the year? I do hate it when there is no room at the inn... and you either have to get up at 3am and walk or be prepared to walk 10 more km at the end to find somewhere if your chosen albergue is full. :(

3. Where do you pick up a pilgrim passport, I'm assuming theres an office in Porto?

4. Any other general advice would be great, recommended albergues, places to eat at, things to see, stuff to bring? Im all ears.

Cheers Guys and thanks in advance!

Here is a helpful recent post re getting a Credential in Porto.
Olá.
credentials are available at the catheral in Oporto from 9 am to 6.30 pm during summer. In October and later in the year the cathedral shop is closed for lunch (hora do almoço) from 12:30 to 14:30. The price of the credential is 1.50 €.

~Bom caminho, Rainer[/QUOTEm

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Olá,

On the coastal way there are many albergues in a pleasant distance, private hostels as well. The price is 7 € now. In May it´s not crowded at all.

You´ll get a credential at the cathedral in Porto. The shop opens at 9:30 a.m.

What to spend a day? Well, a good pilgrim´s menu consisting of: soup, bread, a main course (fish or meat) , beer or wine, coffee/desert is for about 5 -7 €. Cafe con leche , Galão in Portuguese, is for 70 - 80 Cents. All is pretty cheap.

If your first stay on the way along the coast will be in Angeiras, I´m very pleased to answer all remaining questions personally.

Olá,

On the coastal way there are many albergues in a pleasant distance, private hostels as well. The price is 7 € now. In May it´s not crowded at all.

You´ll get a credential at the cathedral in Porto. The shop opens at 9:30 a.m.

What to spend a day? Well, a good pilgrim´s menu consisting of: soup, bread, a main course (fish or meat) , beer or wine, coffee/desert is for about 5 -7 €. Cafe con leche , Galão in Portuguese, is for 70 - 80 Cents. All is pretty cheap.

If your first stay on the way along the coast will be in Angeiras, I´m very pleased to answer all remaining questions personally.
Don't forget the pasteís de nata Bernd ! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Olá Albertinho,

every morning starts com uma nata e um croissante, wether in Angeiras or on the caminho, if available.

This is an old thread but I wondered if they are making a difference between central and coastal route (from Porto) on the distance certificate now. Do they write down 280 km for the coastal route now? Or do they write 260 km for both central and coastal routes?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back