• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Distant Bells on the Feast Of St James

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
I wrote these thoughts last year, but for me they are timeless. ...

Soon it will be July 25, the Feast of St James. Multitudes will convene and celebrate this historic Catholic event in Santiago de Compostela.

Government officials, church dignitaries, ordinary citizens, and, of course, thousands of actual pilgrims will be present. They will assemble to actively participate in age-old ecclesiastic pageantry and tradition. Imagine if they could be magically joined by all past pilgrims. Such a super-giant throng of celebrants would stretch back one thousand years!

Whatever our ethnicity or beliefs, all pilgrims who have walked the Camino share common bonds. All surely remember their personal thrill on arriving at last at the great cathedral, touching the hallowed stones, weeping with joy, and giving thanks as the great bells tolled.

At home in France I shall, as always, also remember and listen for those far-distant, celebratory bells.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Margaret
A lovely post.
Buen Camino
Colin

So sad that it is not going to happen this year. We will be celebrating St James' Feast day in Kwa Zulu Natal in South Africa on Sunday and will start by spending time thinking of all those who died or were injured in this terrible tragedy.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.