A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Distant Bells on the Feast Of St James

mspath

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
I wrote these thoughts last year, but for me they are timeless. ...

Soon it will be July 25, the Feast of St James. Multitudes will convene and celebrate this historic Catholic event in Santiago de Compostela.

Government officials, church dignitaries, ordinary citizens, and, of course, thousands of actual pilgrims will be present. They will assemble to actively participate in age-old ecclesiastic pageantry and tradition. Imagine if they could be magically joined by all past pilgrims. Such a super-giant throng of celebrants would stretch back one thousand years!

Whatever our ethnicity or beliefs, all pilgrims who have walked the Camino share common bonds. All surely remember their personal thrill on arriving at last at the great cathedral, touching the hallowed stones, weeping with joy, and giving thanks as the great bells tolled.

At home in France I shall, as always, also remember and listen for those far-distant, celebratory bells.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Advertisment

colinPeter

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-SDC (2009) Somport-Jaca, Burgos-SDC, Cee-Muxia (2012) Le Puy - Aumont-Aubrac (2014) SJPP-SDC (Oct 2015)
Hola Margaret
A lovely post.
Buen Camino
Colin

jennysa

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Camino Aragones 2012, 2017, Via Francigena 2016 & 17,
So sad that it is not going to happen this year. We will be celebrating St James' Feast day in Kwa Zulu Natal in South Africa on Sunday and will start by spending time thinking of all those who died or were injured in this terrible tragedy.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 22 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 76 16.0%
  • May

Votes: 131 27.6%
  • June