• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Distant booms

larry1948

Time of past OR future Camino
September 9 - October 15, 2022
SJPP - Santiago
Walked Camino Frances between Sept 9 and Oct 15. Noted noise similar to sonic booms while in the mountainous regions. Does anyone know the source of the booms?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Which areas? Could be many things. I've heard artillery fire exercises when on the Via de la Plata. Not sure about the Frances but there is at least one fenced off military exercise area near Burgos. Military explosives? Quarrying?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Which areas? Could be many things. I've heard artillery fire exercises when on the Via de la Plata. Not sure about the Frances but there is at least one fenced off military exercise area near Burgos. Military explosives? Quarrying?
If I recall correctly it was between Leon and Fonfria. Heard the sound on several days. The booms were irregular in frequency. Quarrying came to mind, but wouldn’t expect the booms to continue over time - blast then move the rock.

If I recall correctly it was between Leon and Fonfria. Heard the sound on several days. The booms were irregular in frequency.

Could it have been gunfire from hunting? A popular sport in the autumn and often takes place very near the Frances. I've walked past groups actively shooting with both shotguns and rifles. My impression was that the shooting was carefully organized and at no time did I feel anxious about it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walked Camino Frances between Sept 9 and Oct 15. Noted noise similar to sonic booms while in the mountainous regions. Does anyone know the source of the booms?

Possibly hail cannons, used to try to prevent damage to stone fruit orchards and vineyards. Early September sounds about the right time. Here's the Wikipedia article.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Possibly hail cannons, used to try to prevent damage to stone fruit orchards and vineyards. Early September sounds about the right time. Here's the Wikipedia article.

Indeed no scientific evidence that those hail cannons work.
Some local farmers here use them too. An utterly annoying sound.

Indeed no scientific evidence that those hail cannons work.
Some local farmers here use them too. An utterly annoying sound.
hmmm, I have come across some such devices seemingly used to scare birds away.

Yes, like our farmers here use in their orchards.
The stubborn crows could not care less...;). But the farmers keep insisting on using them. Some kind of " rural legend " that it works afterall.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The plantation farmers use them here too, to scare birds from the grapes. They are pneumatic. And certainly alarm my dog from 2km away. Easily identified by the constant interval between booms.

I’ve never heard of hail canons for vineyards before but I see now that they do exist. They are different, however, from the “boom” producing devices to keep birds away from the grapes. They look more like shown in the photo below. Depending on the setup, they emit sound at regular or irregular intervals.

When walking in September or October, this would be the first thing I’d think of when hearing these sounds. In second place, I’d think of a hunting party - again especially in autumn.

C5455654-714B-470E-B504-FA55CE42B9DC.jpeg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The plantation farmers use them here too, to scare birds from the grapes. They are pneumatic. And certainly alarm my dog from 2km away. Easily identified by the constant interval between booms.

And I can't understand they still believe it works. See the wikipage @Kanga posted.

Cheers @Jeff Crawley for Baldrick! My favourite character fom Blackadder.

It seems to me all of the posts have merit as possibilities.
Approximately two weeks ago in Italy, we heard loud booming noises sporadically for a half hour or more. We wondered if it could have been military training of some sort, quarries, or construction work for new roads. It was a bit unnerving, but it didn't especially sound like guns, although we did see a few weekend boar hunters ocasionally with their dogs.

I walked the CF over the same period of time and heard them, too. The first time I looked madly around for guidance... should we duck and cover?! Where?! Others either didn't notice or weren't nearly as alarmed as I was. They were indeed irregular, but sometimes, two would come within a minute. Then I might not hear another for days. And a couple of times I'd guessed it was gunfire, likely from hunters.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Could it have been gunfire from hunting? A popular sport in the autumn and often takes place very near the Frances. I've walked past groups actively shooting with both shotguns and rifles. My impression was that the shooting was carefully organized and at no time did I feel anxious about it.
We walked across the Bierzo valley today, and could could hear shotgun blasts, two barrels back to back, and hunting dogs barking. I assumed somebody was bird hunting.

When you hear sonic booms types of noises it feels and sounds very different than gun shots or canons. It’s a weird sensation. I think the air force guy had something that seemed like that’s what it could be. I took this picture once when I heard a boom like that and must have been the exact same time.

Attachments

• C407E38E-B2ED-4705-9754-2CB572208CF5.jpeg
    C407E38E-B2ED-4705-9754-2CB572208CF5.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 30
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the CF over the same period of time and heard them, too. The first time I looked madly around for guidance... should we duck and cover?! Where?! Others either didn't notice or weren't nearly as alarmed as I was. They were indeed irregular, but sometimes, two would come within a minute. Then I might not hear another for days. And a couple of times I'd guessed it was gunfire, likely from hunters.
I heard the same thing for several hours before arriving in Fromista. The locals didn't know.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Most likely to have been either fireworks or a quarry. I have heard booms too at various places and it turned out to be one of those.
I go to fireworks competitions every year. What I heard was definitely not that.

Actually I am working for the AirForce :)
So I know that there are some military Low Level Flight training areas next to the Camino route

I heard such sounds many Caminos ago and I was told the very same thing. I believe that there is a military aerodrome near Valladolid and they would fly over the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I heard such sounds many Caminos ago and I was told the very same thing. I believe that there is a military aerodrome near Valladolid and they would fly over the Camino.
Actually, as far as I know, there is a low flight level Trainings area in a "Canyon" like Terrain... 2016 I saw them flying there as well but at that time I was not in the function of a Flight dispatcher. Now I am since 4 years and I know some of the spanisch Military areas there .
And two of them are mostlikely crossing the Camino Francés

There may be NATO training going on, using different locations to simulate terrain that may be unfamiliar to pilots from different NATO countries. Enough said.

More often than not these noises can be attributed to a small village firing off a cohete. Just fireworks designed ti make noise to announce a local fiesta. From time to time you may even hear a duel between adjacent villages as each believes that their patron saint deserves more bang than their neighbors.

Or it a bear hunter, never can be too careful with those bears.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back