• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ditch Pigs Camino Cleanup 2016: They're BACK!

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
The Pigs are Back! We'll converge at Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos on the 27th November to work our way across the wilds of Palencia for the following four or five days, clearing up trash from Puente de Itero to Sahagun. Don't complain about the trash on the trail, come and be part of the solution!

We have a new furgoneta, as well as a brand-new TrashWagon to break in, thanks to a grant from American Pilgrims on the Camino!

There's room for FOUR in the big house, and SIX if two extra souls are hardy. Contributions are cheerfully accepted to pay for gas for the car and food for the volunteers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear @Rebekah Scott , this is such a valuable service, and we are in your debt once again, especially as your life has many demands. I really, really would like to come and help - but three days of flying and travel to get there and three days to get back, let alone the couple of thousand dollars for the airfare ..... I will just have to make a donation to the cause and hope some of our closer members can substitute for me.

Those of us who complain about litter on the camino - here is a chance to help, preferably with labour and in person, but if that is not possible by a donation in support.

Thank you to all who volunteer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Pigs are Back! We'll converge at Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos on the 27th November to work our way across the wilds of Palencia for the following four or five days, clearing up trash from Puente de Itero to Sahagun. Don't complain about the trash on the trail, come and be part of the solution!

We have a new furgoneta, as well as a brand-new TrashWagon to break in, thanks to a grant from American Pilgrims on the Camino!

There's room for FOUR in the big house, and SIX if two extra souls are hardy. Contributions are cheerfully accepted to pay for gas for the car and food for the volunteers.
Thank you!

Here's a gentle bump on the PayPal contributions???????

The link to the Paypal Donation button can be found here: http://moratinoslife.blogspot.com in the top right corner ;-) And I am sure that Rebekah will appreciate a note/comment with your PayPal stating if it is especially for the clean-up or for the general 'Feed a Pilgrim' fond ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Thank you. For the last 5 years i pic litter from my caminos.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Awesome work!!!! If I could I'd join you !

But as mentioned on the first Post, in the next month I'll be going through the Aragones and Frances, always carrying a huge plastic bin bag with me and will try to be as Ditch Pig as possible during this next journey!

Let's always try to engage as many people as possible so they can help out during their trips. If every pilgrim not only clean after their own mess, but - lets say - also collect one other bag of trash... Things will be much better ( and easier for the Ditch Pigs Crew!!)

Happy cleaning pigs!!!!!

Thank you !!!!

:):D:rolleyes:

Not sure if I'll still be around then, but willing if so. When you say you have room for "six if two extra souls are hardy" do you mean a mattress on the floor or the porch of the church?

My girlfriend will kick my shins if I go off to Spain again without her. Just out of interest, though...is there still space?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ok, leap of faith, travels are booked, will arriving Saturday evening the 26th November in Biarritz and then travel together with @biarritzdon to Moratinos on Sunday. See you there and Buen, Limpio, Camino, SY
Life is very good (and way too full to be spending much time here at all) but I'm still envious.
Brava to you, Reb, and to all the 2016 Ditch Pigs...hoping you have a LOT of laughs together while you're cleaning up the way!

It looks like we are now at capacity, if not a little bit OVER! Two will have to sleep in the Priest Hole, which might be a bit chilly, and/or on the sofa, which includes your choice of dog. My thanks to all the kind people who've sent support for the effort.

We may have to hire a logistician to figure out how to best cover the mileage with the available equipment and personnel... but then, we have T2Andreu.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh goodie! Whilst all you folks are sleeping with dogs (I'm somewhat allergic), and roughing it in the "priest hole," perhaps Rebekah and Paddy will take kindly to the 60-something guy who snores and needs the toilet during the night. Dibs on the guest room?

I need to make reservations. But my plan is to fly from MIA to MAD, rent a car and drive. This provides the most flexibility and is not all that more expensive. Plus, we could use the extra carrying capacity for the "pig crew." Also, I may arrive a day early to help with shopping to feed the crew, so a car is useful.

:);)

Last edited:
Thanks do much Ditch Pigs - I would love to be part of a solution to put you out of work ... to create awareness for the environment and our responsibility to it! We do not have to trash!! We can repair the trail, stop erosion etc. but trashing (not) is every one's own responsibility!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If we have too many ditch pigs, I'll volunteer to go to the abattoir (so to speak). I've been fortunate to take part several times, and we don't want anyone taking the dogs' beds from them, do we? Have fun!

Acch, Tyrrek. You know there is no such thing as too many Ditch Pigs; just sometimes not enough ditch ;)

I'll not be there this year - so that will reducing the snoring by at least one entire Tinker - and we all know that SY will sleep standing up if she has to. Don is 'too much' to be bothered by mild inconveniences and Tom will be able to talk you all to sleep no matter the storms that rattle.

I have family and tribe stuff to do and am honoured by my obligations but I still wish I could be there with you amigo, in the frosty, misty morning - scooping pilgrim trash with my Marigolds and tongs.

A Tinker's blessing on all Ditch Pigs.

I'll send you all a drink

So the list is like this:
Biarritz Don
SYates
T2Andreau
O'Malley
Kieran
Me and (sometimes) Paddy.

I think we'll pull this off.
Just bought a big box of trash bags, and some spankin' good picking-up tongs. Bring your boots and a hat, and vitamins. We may go back far as Castrojeriz, I am told the Alto is really bad.

Someone needs to remember to get the industrial sized Volatren...you know the one-liter pump bottle... This group of lumpy, achy, on the south side of 50 folks is going to need it at the end of each day.:eek:

Oh, and don't forget the case of vino tinto...;) Perhaps a nice Tempranillo, or a full-bodied Rioja? Better yet, two cases...why be forced to choose...?

Someone needs to remember to get the industrial sized Volatren...you know the one-liter pump bottle... This group of lumpy, achy, on the south side of 50 folks is going to need it at the end of each day.:eek:

Oh, and don't forget the case of vino tinto...;) Perhaps a nice Tempranillo, or a full-bodied Rioja? Better yet, two cases...why be forced to choose...?

Just for the record: a lot of full-bodied Rioja IS Tempranillo.
Tempranillo is the grape. Rioja is where the wine is made.
At Peaceable, we often go for Tempranillo from Ribera del Duero.
Or Rioja from the chicken-feed store in Carrion de los Condes!

I always say, go with what you know best. Make it two cases...unless Don is bringing ample vino de Francia...:)

Hi fellow ditch pigs,

I have good news, I can get rubbish tongs to Moratinos - no more twisted-aching backs in the evenings ;-) OK, perhaps a little still. I already PMed @Rebekah Scott but she doesn't seem to be at her computer ;-( Can somebody of you that knows her correct postal address PM it to me and also how many rubbish tongs do we need - 6? Buen Camino, SY

PS To see how the rubbish tongs story developed have a look here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/dont-rubbish-the-camino.44176/#post-458978

Hi fellow ditch pigs,

I have good news, I can get rubbish tongs to Moratinos - no more twisted-aching backs in the evenings ;-) OK, perhaps a little still. I already PMed @Rebekah Scott but she doesn't seem to be at her computer ;-( Can somebody of you that knows her correct postal address PM it to me and also how many rubbish tongs do we need - 6? Buen Camino, SY

PS To see how the rubbish tongs story developed have a look here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/dont-rubbish-the-camino.44176/#post-458978
Hi,
Address as follows:
edited by moderator. Please use PM for exchanges of personal information.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems auto-correct got you there, that should be Palencia - correct? SY

Last edited by a moderator:
Go ahead, all copied, corrected and email send - was just about to suggest to mods an edit - Great minds/two fools ;-) SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please a bit more notice. I am in Spain and would have loved to have helped but Im booked on a ferry from Cherbourg on the 2nd Dec. I even have my own accommodation re small motor home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok fellow Ditch Pigs, my fellow countrymen came back with an offer to me:

First thing - We get a substantial discount if we provide pictures of 'the action'. At the moment I am (nearly) camera less (only an iPhone 4) so is somebody else bringing a camera? Important the people (us) don't have to identifiable in the pics (I rather prefer not to be identifiable myself!) just a few pictures before/after (ideally with way marks to show it was indeed taken on the Camino) and a lot of filled rubbish bags will be enough for them. Is that ok with you? I will take care of the pictures and a short report in German for them - just need a camera or - in a pitch - will use my old iPhone.

Also - who wants a rubbish tongue (https://www.allbuyone.com/de/produk...inigung-und-muellentsorgung/muellzange.html)? They are 93cm long and sturdy, so should prevent twisted backs ;-) I will order one for myself, but how many more are needed? See list in next post.

I need to know how many to order ;-) Thanks and looking forward to meeting you all, SY

Last edited:
Oh, forgot to mention - I am happy to take the rough spot for sleeping ;-) I just borrow a dog or two to keep me warm SY
Hi Sybille - the dogs might not really want company??!! Thanks for the link - I think I can manage a small donation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola @Rebekah Scott; Like Kanga I just cannot see my way clear to join the clean up. But as per my "don't rubbish the Camino" post I will try to "do my bit" whilst walking. Cheers

@rebekah, unfortunatly I was unable to get a Salvador companion and will not be walking this fall.

This being said, there are so many of us on the Forum walking here and there and at different times, and there is no bad time to pick up trash, on any route.

I am wondering if there is a way to organise "micro cleaning campaigns". Perhaps have a few friendly albergues store bags and gloves, as well as accept trash. Have volunteers wear a "Ditch Pig" badge and have them encourage their... oh, I hate this term but here goes.... "Camino Family" join in the project.

Bags can be smallish so no vehicle is needed. These would be fabulous for the unspeakable dropings; would it be possible to find sponsors for them? :

https://www.google.ca/search?q=poop...&hl=fr-ca&client=safari#imgrc=XlsaHDei_NuOPM:

And then, the dream... less fancy and perfectly fine mojones being replaced by practically identical once and have the "authorities" install bins every 2 or 4 km, even every 6?!

Surely a lot more work than it may sound like, but you have lots of soldiers on the ground with is here.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am wondering if there is a way to organise "micro cleaning campaigns". Perhaps have a few friendly albergues store bags and gloves, as well as accept trash.
I like this idea! One could plan a shorter day, do some clean up, have the place to dispose of the bag, and then the recognition received at the albergue would be a hint to other pilgrims!

This being said, there are so many of us on the Forum walking here and there and at different times, and there is no bad time to pick up trash, on any route.

I am wondering if there is a way to organise "micro cleaning campaigns". Perhaps have a few friendly albergues store bags and gloves, as well as accept trash. Have volunteers wear a "Ditch Pig" badge and have them encourage their... oh, I hate this term but here goes.... "Camino Family" join in the project.
Not a bad idea at all methink. Maybe even with fluorescent vests with clearly printed signs of "ditch pigs" or similar which could be distributed in albergues. No need for vast numbers of them though as info would spread I think. And when you're done with litter picking or your Camino you can leave the vest in any albergue? Even if people wouldn't choose to wear that vest and pick litter along the way they would be more aware of "leave only your foot-prints" along the way.

the only problem I see with trash bins along the way is someone would have to go out to empty them. I think along the Frances the towns aren't much more than 5-6km apart in many places...if people won't carry their trash to the next town to throw away, they are too lazy to carry it to the next bin. Actually, I see another problem. Some self-entitled fool would scribble something stupid on the bins. I like the idea that everyone pick up a little trash...maybe during the summer rush bed priority could be given to those who arrive with a bag of it:)

Yes, I will gladly use a longer rubbish tong.

As my German is horrible, I cannot sort the search function out on the above site.

Will reimburse you when we meet.

Thanks for coming up with this back-friendly idea.

Tom

sorry guys. I am up to my eyes in a huge translation project, and avoiding too much internet interaction due to the stress of the US elections. And winding up the season at Albergue Villa de Grado too.

All the programming stuff looks very fine and sane, but right now just the Ditch Pigs program "as is" is all I can deal with. There's only one of me. If anyone else wants to step up and start something and run it, by all means go for it, you'll have my full support!

As for rubbish tongs, I have what I need here already. I avoid making promo deals before I see and use a product; it's putting my integrity and "brand" on something I don't know anything about yet. With the ample support we enjoy from the people here, we can afford to pay full price for the material we use and the skilled people we employ. If we really love something, we can send nice letters and photos to the vendor after we've made our determinations. Not that I don't really appreciate all the groundwork you are doing, Sybille. We need about six of you over here, to get things going and keep them running efficiently.

The Germans completely understand that, they don't want a 'promo deal' they want photos of what we have done AND if the tongues don't work out that will be also be said/shown.
I think I just order 3 then (I am paying them, so no extra costs for the ditch pig fund ;-) for @t2andreo and me and one extra to try out for the rest of you ;-) SY

Got a big tube of Voltaren today, as well as a big box of Paracetamol tablets. The feed-store Rioja is set up and ready to tap, once the crowd arrives...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Germans completely understand that, they don't want a 'promo deal' they want photos of what we have done AND if the tongues don't work out that will be also be said/shown.
I think I just order 3 then (I am paying them, so no extra costs for the ditch pig fund ;-) for @t2andreo and me and one extra to try out for the rest of you ;-) SY
the pick-uppers arrived in fine shape. We'll give 'em a good workout!

The work continues apace. The trash cart arrived today at Peaceable, David the Builder and I went to the metal shop for iron and wire-mesh and other fascinating things needed to make it Just So... It's gonna be great! I have reflective vests and bags and tongs for everyone, as well as Voltaren cream and legal pain-killers of various types for apres-pig afflictions. Paddy's planning the evening meals and breakfasts.

Please, all Pigs, be sure you have adequate insurance cover, should something untoward happen to you. We are a totally non-profit, volunteer enterprise. You gotta make sure to take care of yourself while you're here, we don't have the resources to cover you ourselves.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
... Please, all Pigs, be sure you have adequate insurance cover, should something untoward happen to you. We are a totally non-profit, volunteer enterprise. You gotta make sure to take care of yourself while you're here, we don't have the resources to cover you ourselves.

Just to take a bit of stress out of your life - I am covered insurance-wise, so if I am getting eaten by the dogs or one of the ditch pigs hits me 'accidentally' over the head with a rubbish tong - no problem for the Peacable Kingdom ;-) SY

Please, all Pigs, be sure you have adequate insurance cover, should something untoward happen to you.
Sound advice. In my 4 years as a Ditch Pig I've suffered no more than a groin strain, a near-death flu, and gunshot wounds. You might not be so lucky.

Seriously though, have a great time and thanks to you all!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That is why:
1. My tetanus vaccination is current...
2. I am bringing several pair of work gloves...
3. I also have a few pair of rubber gloves...
4. I packed my carbon fiber walking staff with the tungsten pointy bit for stuff needing a REALLY long pole...:eek:
5. I have a neon, safety lime-yellow knit watch cap for my head.

Rebekah is supplying safety-colored vests and pick-up tongs for the "Piggy Crew." SYates is bringing my "special," longer über tongs made in Germany...THIS I gotta see...I just LOVE German engineered products!

One can never have too much protection. I have seen what my fellow peregrinos, albeit the piggy type, as opposed to the "pack-it-out" folks who grew up in the US and maybe Canada during the late 1960s and into the 1970s with the teary-eyed Iron Eyes Cody advert on the TV, leave behind...eeeuw!

As a former Boy Scout, one is always prepared.;)

Putting the finishing touches on packing now...I hope the dogs like their US vaca chew bones...

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Today it was Puente Fitero - Itero de la Vega - Boadilla - Fromista. Crew is showing signs of wear and tear. The trail is looking GOOD!
Tomorrow, Fromista to Carrion, and then the little strip from San Nicolas del Real Camino to the Leon border.
Then, Et voila!

Hi to the wonderful and lovely ditch piggies. All my sympathy.

€149,-
It's a great privilege to be a second-time ditch-pigger. The weather is even better than last year in that we don't have to survive an early morning ground frost before we begin to enjoy the warmth of the some bright, sunny days.

A big thank-you must go to those who have given moral + financial support for Rebekah's project. We seem to get a fair amount of praise for our efforts (having fun, really!), but your contributions also need to be acknowledged. They are certainly appreciated!!

IMG_5427.JPG IMG_5430.JPG IMG_5402.JPG IMG_5407.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is the first I've heard of a Camino Association doing a clean-up. And it's so close to Moratinos that I can't help but think that Reb's ditch pigs were the example.

http://www.ileon.com/actualidad/pro...-las-verguenzas-del-camino-de-santiago-leones.

Actually there were many in the past, both by local amigos, the hospitaleros voluntarios - you name it. Those efforts simply have not been translated for the English speaking world/published on the interwebs, but they do and continue to exist. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pigs on the Road: Alto de Mostolares, Castrojeriz View attachment 30572
Hi @Rebekah Scott I met you guys right up there on this day! I`m not sure if you guys will remember but we stopped (me and my wife) to chat with you a little while but then I had to move on... Schedule thing! Hehehe
Once again, kudos to you all for doing this... I found the CF part way much cleaner in 2016 than the previous time in 2013! Maybe thats just because of the season but, deep down I hope its a trend and that less people are trowing garbage around and more people are helping to clean!

Ps: ROughly 01 hour later on that same day I also met @SYates (SY! It was a pleasure to meet you that day!!! :) ) resting from the hard work under a tree ! I mean... I met several others of you guys that day, but couldn`t recall all of your names!
Regards

Vagner

Hi @Rebekah Scott I met you guys right up there on this day! I`m not sure if you guys will remember but we stopped (me and my wife) to chat with you a little while but then I had to move on... Schedule thing! Hehehe
Once again, kudos to you all for doing this... I found the CF part way much cleaner in 2016 than the previous time in 2013! Maybe thats just because of the season but, deep down I hope its a trend and that less people are trowing garbage around and more people are helping to clean!

Ps: ROughly 01 hour later on that same day I also met @SYates (SY! It was a pleasure to meet you that day!!! :) ) resting from the hard work under a tree ! I mean... I met several others of you guys that day, but couldn`t recall all of your names!
Regards

Vagner

Sounds like the Ditch Pig may be calling your name! Check back here late in the year to see what's the PLAN!

Sounds like the Ditch Pig may be calling your name! Check back here late in the year to see what's the PLAN!

Thats right @Rebekah Scott ! It seems like the "Camino" has decided to call me to do it differently next time!! ;)

Count on me! Who knows right!? Maybe next time I`ll join you guys!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back