• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ditch Pigs

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
IMG_0750.JPG
A proposal to everyone who loves our Camino: Let's expand the clean up efforts!
It could and should be year round event.
The ditch pig event late in November centered on the Meseta which has been organized by Rebekah Scott for several years should be expanded. The amount of trash we picked up this year in November between Castrojeriz and Bercianos was amazing. The wind and rain is not going to take away the disgusting amount of toilet paper and other debris left by our fellow pilgrims.
I don't know where to take this request other than to say to a bunch of like minded folks who want to contribute their time to keeping the Camino clean and create an organization to keep the Camino pristine and spend several days/weeks a year being "litter gitters."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
View attachment 31887
A proposal to everyone who loves our Camino: Let's expand the clean up efforts!
It could and should be year round event.
The ditch pig event late in November centered on the Meseta which has been organized by Rebekah Scott for several years should be expanded. The amount of trash we picked up this year in November between Castrojeriz and Bercianos was amazing. The wind and rain is not going to take away the disgusting amount of toilet paper and other debris left by our fellow pilgrims.
I don't know where to take this request other than to say to a bunch of like minded folks who want to contribute their time to keeping the Camino clean and create an organization to keep the Camino pristine and spend several days/weeks a year being "litter gitters."
I am a Camino virgin, however if I translate what I do in my 'normal' life, it would be to take a light supermarket bag with me attached to my pack and pick up offensive rubbish as I walk...depositing it in a bin at the next town. If every like minded pilgrim did this...the poor darling ditch pigs would have a lighter load.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Saw this post while searching for packing it out, thank you for posting solutions instead of venting. I've been seeing a lot of negative posts lately, and this one made my forum day. Thank you! :)

I've worked the MOOP squad at many an event; it's gotta be easier than a regional Burning Man. I can't imagine taking a picture of others' used TP instead of bagging it up, or really of taking a pic-o-poo in any context. I can't look away for my own piece of mind either - if I see it I bag it. Others do what they may, and it's silly to get annoyed by something so simple to help fix. It's just not my way.

So I'll be quietly packing it out, de-mooping, or whatever non-swine thing it's called, along the way. Starting on 5/22. :)

Buen less trashy camino,
~MOOP mamasita~

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I picked up trash along VDLP on a stretch where it all of a sudden materialise. Bottles of sunscreen, yogourt cardboard, plastic water bottles. Had a grocery store plastic bag filled in a metter of minutes, and that was while not picking up the large 1.5l water bottles.

I am thinking that mojones should be shapped as garbage cans, or simply put garbage cans out there as mojones.

And what about using those backpacks as marketing billboards, but sewing patches that remind people to pick up their trash?

Encourage albergues to put the plastic nags we leave behing after shopping by the frontdoor with a sign asking people to use them to pick up as they walk. 1 bag each per day wouldmake such a difference. Or ise the crendencial as a way to spread the word: mail/hand them out with a few thin plastic bags in them. Make those bags high vis yellow so people see you using them and are encouraged to do the same.

Or, being evil here, only give access to a bed in exchange for a bag of trash. :D

I picked up trash along VDLP on a stretch where it all of a sudden materialise. Bottles of sunscreen, yogourt cardboard, plastic water bottles. Had a grocery store plastic bag filled in a metter of minutes, and that was while not picking up the large 1.5l water bottles.

I am thinking that mojones should be shapped as garbage cans, or simply put garbage cans out there as mojones.

And what about using those backpacks as marketing billboards, but sewing patches that remind people to pick up their trash?

Encourage albergues to put the plastic nags we leave behing after shopping by the frontdoor with a sign asking people to use them to pick up as they walk. 1 bag each per day wouldmake such a difference. Or ise the crendencial as a way to spread the word: mail/hand them out with a few thin plastic bags in them. Make those bags high vis yellow so people see you using them and are encouraged to do the same.

Or, being evil here, only give access to a bed in exchange for a bag of trash. :D

Here are some practical ideas from a 2008 post but still very valid by sillydoll re spreading the word/picking up the spread of trash.
I would like to ask all new pilgrims to please keep the camino free of litter.
There is nothing more awful than seeing a Coke can, plastic bottle or candy wrapper on an otherwise pristine path.
Actually, there is one thing, a pile of toilet tissues behind a bush or in a clearing off the path – YUK!! Keep a small plastic bag with you and put all your litter into it – then chuck it into a garbage bin when you reach a town or village.

The Canadian Company of Pilgrims started a litter campaign in 2007 named Take a Day to Make a Difference. They decided to include a litter bag with all credentials that they were issuing for 2008. Everyone who received a credential for 2008 also received a litter bag and the request to Take a Day to Make a Difference and collect litter along the way.

In 2008 CSJ of SA member Margi Briggs started a Spring Clean Up campaign and had 10 000 (132kgs) garbage bags printed with the CSJ of SA Logo and a message in several languages. Each South African pilgrim will be asked to take a bag on the camino and help clear up litter along the way. The Flemish CSJ actually asked us to make this project an international one and we are working on it.

The 2nd request is this:
Gordon Bell - our man on the camino in Casa Banderas just outside Portomarin - asked us to include a message in our newsletter:
So, don't walk off the path into a vineyard to pick grapes (they might have been recently sprayed with insecticides anyway!) and don't try to pick fruit off the trees in orchards along the path. Pilgrims have 'right of way' through many properties and it must really irritate farmers when they help themselves to fuits or vegetables just because they are in reach.

Remember, good pilgrims don't litter and they don't steal!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I plan on taking a bag for trash pick-up at least one day per week on my camino. It may be my first camino, but I'd like to leave it cleaner than when I start.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back