• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diversion of route outside León

Tarquin

Am byth yn bererin
Time of past OR future Camino
1 '2017'
For info , as I don’t know how much publicity will be given , the Camino Frances route has undergone a significant diversion on the outskirts of León.
The blue footbridge just outside Valdelafuente has been closed off and the route diverted up towards Alto del Postillo where the large transmission masts are located. It then takes a left turn off the road and down a very steep and uneven dirt track. Cyclists may have an issue braking due to the looseness of the surface.
Point to note is that at the bottom of this dirt track I realised it crosses what I was told later is an established cycle route. In fairness to the cyclists using the established route , they will be approaching that section over a blind summit and may not have time to change direction as they ride over it. I am assuming it’s a work in progress and that warning signs or something similar will appear. The workmen were in the process of putting up the way marker by the mast turning when I got there this morning.
There are yellow arrow markers on the diversion route, which rejoins the original not far from Puente Castro. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just walked this “diversion” today! Was initially very impressed walking up to the blue pedestrian overpass. However, it’s entrance is taped off, and instead there are arrows to the right. After a while one walks past derelict apartments with bricked in doors and windows - (What is their history?) and eventually, as Tarquin says, past transmission masts and then down the steep dirt track - wouldn’t want to walk it in the rain. This route is quiet and away from traffic - there is even bird song, so walking it does have its own peace and quiet

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I came through in August and this diversion is still in place. Does anyone know how long before they reopen the old route?

Gerald

I walked this route in the rain just over a week ago. In the rain the dirt turns to thick sticky clay which is almost impossible to walk on and makes a real mess of your shoes, There were a group of us sliding about in the mud on that slope! There was a queue at the next water fountain in town where everyone was washing themselves off.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I came through in August and this diversion is still in place. Does anyone know how long before they reopen the old route?
Here is a recent article: https://www.lanuevacronica.com/santiago-entra-en-leon-con-mas-pendiente-pero-mejores-vistas . Not really an answer to your question but it states that the roadworks that are the reason for the deviation of the Camino de Santiago path just before Leon will be finished by the end of 2018. Apparently, at that point in time the footbridge that crosses the road and was a part of the Camino de Santiago before the deviation will be open to pedestrians again.

Plan to walk Camino Francis in 2020 and would like to know for sure if the footbridge outside Leon is definitely open for pedestrians again.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back