• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

DIY hiking wool?

Gwaihir

Time of past OR future Camino
2019: Nijmegen-Fisterra
2022: Trans-European Trail
Hi!

I´m looking into blister prevention techniques.
I know (from here on the forum), that NOK cream and hiking wool work.

The thing is, hiking wool here (brandname) sells for 19,00 euros (40 grams) and the site says it will only last for about four times of application. That´s not going to cut it - I will be walking for 4 months.

The main"ingredients" are pure lambs wool and lanolin. I can buy a bottle of lanolin (10 euros) and I can buy 1kg of pure lambs wool for also 10 euros.

Does anybody know if this DIY idea will work?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Someone must have come up with the idea of doing that and finding out that it worked well. Then someone figured out a way of overcharging for the same thing.

That´s what I thought Rick. Wool is not that costly. I think I´m just going to try it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It´s amazing what people will buy Rob! I think I ought to start my own store, selling something cheap for ridiculous pricing :p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Is "lambswool" actually wool from a lamb? If so why not just pick it up from the brambles and barbed wire surrounding a field containing lambs. Do you just stuff this in your shoes to stop blisters?
Because you can’t find a lot of lambs or their wool between The Netherlands and Santiago? At least not in my experience, I don’t think I could have picked up enough wool for one foot and one day of walking ... 😊.

Because you can’t find a lot of lambs or their wool between The Netherlands and Santiago? At least not in my experience, I don’t think I could have picked up enough wool for one foot and one day of walking ... 😊.
Detour through Kent (include the Via Francigena in your Camino!) come shearing time the wire fences around here look like Tibetan prayer flags - you just need to tease out the twigs and leafy bits. The lanolin come free of charge too!

Hi!

The thing is, hiking wool here (brandname) sells for 19,00 euros (40 grams) and the site says it will only last for about four times of application. That´s not going to cut it - I will be walking for 4 months.

The main"ingredients" are pure lambs wool and lanolin. I can buy a bottle of lanolin (10 euros) and I can buy 1kg of pure lambs wool for also 10 euros.

Do you know someone who spins wool,? A 'spinning' friend of mine gave me a small bag of her carded wool, which I gave to another friend to wrap her toes. Seemed to work just fine,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Detour through Kent (include the Via Francigena in your Camino!) come shearing time the wire fences around here look like Tibetan prayer flags - you just need to tease out the twigs and leafy bits. The lanolin come free of charge too!
So not only a spatial but also a temporal challenge! I picked up sheep wool from barbed wire fences along the South Downs Way but it was autumn and would not have been enough for a 2000+ km walk as @Gwaihir envisages.

@Gwaihir, Amazon.de sells Heilwolle for 8€ per 100 g. You would have to add delivery cost to the Netherlands but it’s not a lot. Less in any case than when you order the Original Hikers Wool from New Zealand. I have ordered and used both, btw.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How about substituting dust bunnies from under the bed, or collecting the stuff out of your clothes dryer vent screen! 😂
Dust bunnies = hair/dead skin/bed mites so YUK!
Dryer fluff is always magenta in colour so might clash with socks? (does make good kindling though!)

Dust bunnies = hair/dead skin/bed mites so YUK!
Dryer fluff is always magenta in colour so might clash with socks? (does make good kindling though!)
Yes, Jeff, but the stench of sweaty Camino feet kills off all the cooties!🐜
P.S. My dryer stuff is not magenta...you must be washing too many pairs of RED socks at a time.

Hi!

We've used natural carded wool, bought in a skein from a yarn/knitting store. It is anti-bacterial, light weight, really cheap and you pull off as much as you need to protect tender spots on your feet. You can re-use it as many times as you want. We usually put Neutrogena Norwegian Formula foot cream on our feet first (a tip we learned from a reflexologist on our first Camino). It works great and, so far, haven't gotten blisters with this protecting our feet. We always take extra to give away on the Camino too!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you can have the wool from other resources take it there. The world market price of 2017 was less than 15€/kg, which makes a 5€ wool T-Shirt unlikely, but 100g could be in that range.

I'm about sure to see at least 100 wild boars before one sheep will show up in my town. Therefore I'd go to Spain during spring and autumn (sheep shearing season) and keep the eyes open. I'd say I've seen a shepherd with flock at least once in any 2-3 weeks camino.

I’ve matured from a person who never had a blister during a hike into a person who gets blisters under the pinky toes after the second day of consecutive hiking. Guaranteed. It’s not the shoes, it’s not the socks, and neither Compeed, nor five toe socks, nor gel tubes, nor taping, nor any kind of wonder cream helps.

Hikers Wool turned out to be a godsend because it’s very fluffy. It will compress during a day of walking and you can then pull it apart to make it fluffier again but after a few days this will no longer be possible. That’s the reason why you have to change it. I’m just adding this because this is an important feature for me and my foot problems, and I can see from the comments that not everyone seems to be aware of this.

If I just wanted to wrap a bit of wool around my feet I would knit myself a pair of woollen socks. Heck, I even know how to do this, five knitting needles, heel and all. 🙃

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Am I missing something here...what about good ol'Compeed? I love the stuff!
If you are referring to my post, yes, you missed the line where I said that Compeed doesn’t help. I am a fan of Compeed, btw. I’m happy to explain why but it’s nasty stuff. Google triangle toes and try to find it on the website of the Fixing your feet guy, another favourite of mine. Triangle toes and walking lots can lead to a toe sock and that’s really really nasty to have ... fluffy hikers wool helps avoiding it. Compeed doesn’t.

@Kathar1na, if what you mean by toe sock is a bunching up of fabric in the space by the littlest toe you might want to try a pair of socks that come shaped for the foot; one for the right and one for the left. Yes, they exist. That doesn't leave extra fabric to bunch.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Kathar1na, if what you mean by toe sock is a bunching up of fabric in the space by the littlest toe you might want to try a pair of socks that come shaped for the foot; one for the right and one for the left. Yes, they exist. That doesn't leave extra fabric to bunch.
That’s not it. Honestly, you don’t want to know ... I’ve done a few (slow) half marathons in an earlier life and a lot of jogging, nearly all my socks have the letters R and L on them. 😊

I picked up sheep wool from barbed wire fences along the South Downs Way but it was autumn and would not have been enough for a 2000+ km walk as @Gwaihir envisages.
As @Jeff Crawley said, there is plenty of sheep wool to be picked (free) in Kent 😀
I also found - but that could just be me - that you don’t need it after the first 1000 km...

I use hiker's wool. You don't need to add lanolin as sheep's wool naturally has lanolin. I wouldn't use raw unwashed sheep's wool because you could risk infection (sheep's woo is quite dirty). What you want is carded wool rovings or ropings, or wool that's been washed and ready for spinning. You should be able to get some fairly inexpensively at a woolen mill, or even a knitting shop. Or if you know someone who spins and weaves. I had ordered some hikers wool from a company and realized it was carded wool and luckily my mother is a spinner and weaver so she has some 60 huge bags of carded wool all ready to be used for my hikes!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi!

I’ve walked 7 different Caminos, all 5-6 weeks in length and have never had any blisters- I’m sure it’s because of using untreated sheep’s wool. I first heard about it from an old shepherd here in the Uk- just take some from the hedges. When I feel a ‘hot spot’ I put first a small bit of Vaseline on followed by a generous lump of wool. It becomes felt after a few days. In Uk Boots the chemist sells it, but have to ask at the counter as it’s not on general display...

That’s not it. Honestly, you don’t want to ...
“Toe sock” is a not very scientific name for what can happen after you get a “pinch blister” under your pinky toe (not due to tight shoes but due to the anatomy of what I like to call mature feet 😊) and there is “graphic evidence” on the internet. Pinch blisters are not unknown to participants in an endurance sports event (ultramarathon and longer).

Btw, I never used the small ball of sheep wool I collected along the SDW. It sat around for a while in my house and eventually I discarded it. I considered the risk of an infection as too great for me and my toes.

Last edited:

€46,-
Wow! Blisters r a interesting topic. We walked del norte 2017 and just used micropore on any hot spots. It just a paper tape super cheap and used as a prevented works 100% ...for us anyway Burn Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I bought some really cheap ‘animal wool’ from amazon. £2.25 for 25g. Worked a treat. Add the word ‘hikers’ and you can charge 10x more. The brand was Carnation.

Hi!

Raw wool already has the Lanolin in it, from the sheep's back (or front)

Another DIY solution for those who REALLY want/need some wool for their toes and are not around sheep is to pluck some from the tops of their socks.

The idea came to me in a weird moment.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wouldn't use raw unwashed sheep's wool because you could risk infection (sheep's wool is quite dirty)
100% agree, from bad experience.
But soft lamb's wool is an essential part of my foot bag - for the same reasons @Kathar1na describes.

And compeed?...Chris and I obviously disagree. Enough said. ;)

Hi!

I am tempted to say: "ask the sheep" :) but Godspeed and good luck! I use a compeed stick for prevention and then compeed plasters when all else fails.

Yours aye

The Malingerer.

Hi!

Take a look.

ENGO Rectangle Blister Prevention... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QLQJ64/?tag=casaivar02-20

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Take a look.

ENGO Rectangle Blister Prevention... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QLQJ64/?tag=casaivar02-20
I think these can also be bought at Rebecca Rushton's blister prevention website. Aussies and Kiwis can show their appreciation for her help by buying these from her.

On this webpage she tells about some things that keep the Engo patches from doing their best:

A definite must read website.

Hi!

Best way to prevent blisters is to make sure your shoes or boots fit well, no hot spots and that you tie them snug and loosen them as your feet swell. Soak your feet in the streams and other cold water sources as you go or at least take your feet out of your shoes or boots a few times a day and massage. In the morning lube your feet with lanolin, vasoline or something greasy, reapply as needed during the day. Your feet are your temple. Listen to them. No blisters on my Camino de Frances.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi!

One old soldier in the Army told me of a trick where you soak your feet in cold tea to toughen them up. He swore by it. I think in Europe you can buy cream with tannin in it. Might be a long slow process but the idea of toughening the skin has merit.

Hi!

I loved the hiking wool. Half a pack lasted me the Camino BUT I gave a lot away and half way through my stash has dwindled. I washed it at the end of each day. Let it dry and combed it out to make fluffy. And used it to the end. Just got me through. Next time I would take 1 or two packs and share half and use more fresh wool. It weighs nothing. It’s so fine. I wouldn’t waste money on anything else. I only had 2 blisters in 1000 kms. I love hiking wool.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I loved the hiking wool. Half a pack lasted me the Camino BUT I gave a lot away and half way through my stash has dwindled. I washed it at the end of each day. Let it dry and combed it out to make fluffy. And used it to the end. Just got me through. Next time I would take 1 or two packs and share half and use more fresh wool. It weighs nothing. It’s so fine. I wouldn’t waste money on anything else. I only had 2 blisters in 1000 kms. I love hiking wool.
BTW. I didn’t use any lanolin.

I wouldn't use raw unwashed sheep's wool because you could risk infection (sheep's woo is quite dirty).
😱 of course you wash it!
Oh and regardless of how clean it is, you don’t use it on broken skin. By then it’s too late. It’s only good before a blister forms.

Half a pack lasted me the Camino BUT I gave a lot away and half way through my stash has dwindled.

Hi Julia, do you remember how much grams you bought or the price?

@Craig Towers interesting! I´m looking for ways to save money though. Two patches for 12,00 bucks? Still expensive (specially if you need more patches, which I probably will in 4 months)

@malingerer I will ask them! If I can figure out their answer I will let you know.

@Rob the Slob "moral socks" that´s brilliant man

I did not know about washing the wool! What´s the best way to wash it without damaging it?

This is the site I want to order it from: https://www.purewol.nl/spinwol. The wool is meant for spinning. I don´t know if they washed it, but I can ask :cool:

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also figure I might as well just bring along a set of cutters so I can shear the sheep on the go (kidding)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.