• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do albergues have lockers or is theft not a problem?

Lyndale

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Aug(2013), Portuguese (2018) Le Puy (2019)
Read that one albergue has lockers. Do any others? Concerned about losing new shoes, clothes, pack - everything. I know to always carry my passport, money and cards but when you get to an albergue, shower and then go out to explore the town - how safe are your belongings left in the albergue?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The only albergue I came across with lockers was the one in Roncevalles. Carry your important stuff with you to the shower and when you go for a walk, meal or explore. Thats all you can do, just be sensible with your stuff and you will be ok. I never had anything taken.

More than 90 days on the Camino and not one missing item. However, I don't have much to be desired anyway. I travel only by backpack. In 29 countries, the Camino is the only place I do not carry my own padlock. Do what makes you feel secure. It is reassuring to know we take care of one another on the Way. Be smart.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wouldn't say theft is a big problem. I'm sure it happens, but people leave out their tablets and phones to charge all the time and you never hear of theft. The only thing I heard that was stolen was a pair of shorts and something tells me that it's more likely someone accidentally picked them up off of a drying rack.

That said, it's always best to be cautious and I kept my money and passport on me at all times in the form of a silk money belt under my pants.

Trust me, your shoes and clothes aren't go anywhere (at least not on purpose...) Only other pilgrims will have access, and they won't take them - then they'd have to carry them! :wink:

On my Camino I heard of a pair of expensive sunglasses and a wallet going missing, both because they were left on a cafe table, and when the pilgrims went back for them, they were gone. Just keep an eye on the things you care about, like you would anywhere. Nothing else is really worth stealing. Your stuff is more likely to be stolen on your way to the Camino than it is on the Camino.

Ultreia,
Lindsey

I lost a pair of flip flops, someone needed them worse than me I suppose. I heard a story from another pilgrim who used one of those passport cases with the string around the neck, someone cut it off him when he was sleeping one night. He remembered a "gypsy" type person who had check into the albergue late that afternoon and wasn't there the next morning. That would seem like a possible scam around some of the bigger cities, this one happened at the municipal in Cizur Menor. You can easily replace just about anything but your passport and money. Take them to the shower with you, walk and sleep with them in your front pocket because no one is likely to be going there without losing a hand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have bought these name tags, with my name on and have sewn them on my clothes.
As you do with children's clothes. :wink:
If there are many people with similar clothes, so when washing them and hanging them to dry, then I will know what was my things.

I have left my iPhone charging at night in the toilet and no one has stolen it.

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
Deva (Gijón) - Lourenzá (Lugo) [2011]
Irún - Santander (2012)
Santiago - Fisterra - Muxía - Fisterra (2013)

I used the same technique I used when hosteling around Europe in the seventies. Bring all valuables to the shower. Keep all valuables with you at all times when out. Roll up pants with passport, wallet, phone and other important stuff and put it in your pillow case so its under your head while you sleep. Everything else is just clothes and can be replaced if taken by accident or otherwise. I was told to be carefull at street side cafes in the bigger towns/cities with mobile phone or wallet left on the table. Never had any problems on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many of the new albergues have lockers. They help pilgrims store items around the bed, but they also indicate that there is a perceived security problem to the architects of these places. So, keeping in mind that thieves go where the "goods" are, be security minded even when there is not a locker to help you. By the way, some of the lockers require a coin!!

I push my pouch down to the middle of the sleeping bag. The only thing stolen was a camera at the train station at Bayonne. On the Camino it has been down to leaving things behind.

I keep my valuables (passport, credit card, money) in the footbox of my sleeping bag at night.
I do NOT leave them if I go to the toilet or to the showers.

I have heard of shoes being stolen, so it DOES happen.
However it is rare.

I've also heard of trekking poles being stolen.

On my first Camino, in Pamplona, three young people left their valuables with a "nice pilgrim" they met on the way who was in their dorm. The girl said she'd watch their items while they showered. They returned to find the "nice pilgrim" gone along with all their cash, cameras, and credit cards. Their camino was over.

Also, just a tip. There is a scam going on at the gangplank, also in Pamplona. A kid on a bicycle hides while two nicely dressed local young people act like lovers. A pilgrim with a nice camera comes alone. They say, "Can we take your photo for you?" The camera is handed over and while they pose, the kid on the bike rides up, snatches the camera and it's gone. This is a pretty well-known technique. One of my walkers last Fall almost got caught in it. So ... I'd say take a little care who you hand your camera to.

But these things happen EVERYWHERE, not just on the Camino.
Just don't do anything you wouldn't do in a big city in your own country and you'll be fine.

Would you leave your expensive iPhone or iPad plugged in at the library untended while you went for food???

Your backpack and clothes are fine...but anything that I can't replace easily, I take along.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you AnnieSantiago for saving my camera that day. I surely would have handed my camera over to that "nice young couple" to take a photo of both of us. Sure enough, there was the unicycle hidden behind a stone pillar. I learned a very valuable lesson that day.

Thanks Annie. I will be in Pamplona sometime soon.

I have to say that the 2 best photos I had taken in 2009 was by passers by.

One was by a young mum with a child in a buggy and the other a solo man. Not appearing rude is a bit of an issue but on the whole I think care is the better of the two options.

Do remember to take valuables with whenever you leave your bunk area. Great idea to put things in sleeping bag while you are around....but the evil doers also are very aware of this tactic as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
stolen goods are usual in the camino..On my second camino I got my back pack stolen in Burgos ( just like it happened in the Movie the Way) then I got my watch stolen a town before La Rioja, (while I took a shower in the shelter and the watch was not even two feet away from where I was...the thief was so smooth and he even denied it with passion!..even though he was the only other person inside the shower room besides me...finally I got my electric razor stolen from my bag in Santiago's municipal shelter just after my arrival...

Thanks for all the great ideas. Will make use of all.
Lynda and Dale

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Kathy, The question should be how do you find an available power point? They are few and far between in aubergues and usually located in public areas, the next problem will be getting someone to share one with you. I found sharing the opportunity to charge electronics is not part of the psyche of many pilgrims :shock:

FooteK said:
So how do you charge your electronics while sleeping (security-wise)?
Kathy

I try to start charging my phone in the afternoon while I can be near it for a while. Sometimes it may take several sessions to completely charge it.
I also charge it in a bar at lunch or coffee stop if power easy to access.
Leaving it plugged in at night is NOT a good idea and you need to work around this.

A good idea is to go to a "China" shop or hardware store and get a cheap plug extender. You can then use a receptacle even if it is full. You can unplug someone and then replug them along with your gear in your double of triple extender.

It is not a huge problem unless you are carrying a lot of electronics that require charging. You just have take care of it each day like you do showering and laundry. Just something you do.

Grumpy old sods like me might suggest that if you don't want to lose it don't take it with you. But, outside of the major cities, theft has never been a problem for me in 30 years of travelling in Spain. Now, Barcellona, Madrid, Valencia: oh boy will you encounter some experts at their craft.

As many have said, normal precautions apply. Don't do anymore or less than you would in any unfamiliar place among strangers or casual acquaintances.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The alberques are safe and the pilgrims are honest. Theft isn't a problem ,,, just don't leave shiny items where they can cause temptation.

Only a few Albergues have lockers.

Two instances of theft:

A fellow was pickpocketed on the Subway in Madrid. Apparently the wallet was kept in a zipped pocket so a real expert was at work. He was having a heck of a time finding a bank to forward his replacement credit card while continuing with his camino. A time consuming obstacle was finding how to contact the overseas operator.

A woman left her pack inside the entrance to the Albergue in Leon to while away the hours till her bus departure; She was finishing her camino there. It wasn't there when she came back and of course no one saw it disappear. She had her valuables with her so no major inconvenience. The only irreplaceable loss was her credential with the record of the places she had stayed.

Theft is a problem, though a locker wouldn't solve it anyway.

Just be sensible, and careful.

Keep your valuables with you, stay with your phone while it recharges, and don't carry anything stealable that you would seriously miss elsewhere than on the Camino.

Not the Camino -- but I had all of my money stolen from me in a monastery on the way to Rome in 2000 (I had to beg the rest of the way).

Thieves are everywhere.

I agree with grayland, the best is to be prepared to share ... I bought a nice 4 x 1 travel extension and I also have a universal plug converter .. Suggestion: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9YN2M/?tag=casaivar02-20

Just don't lose the best of the camino by keeping worried all the time. Take necessary precautions and move on. That's what I'm planning to do anyway.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back