• This section is a collection of FAQs on the Camino. No new questions can be posted here, but questions that are asked often will be move here by a moderator.
  • Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Do albergues refuse the pilgrims who don't carry their packs

2020 Camino Guides

Davie Blisters

Camino(s) past & future
Poor @anna*camino

Asked a question on 1st September 2011 and left on 22nd September 2011 - never to return!

I will always wonder if she made it into an Albergue (sans backpack). :)

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
.... and if you look into yours in the morning, look closely, he'll appear to you too!

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Aragones 2008, del Norte 2009, VdlP 2011, Ingles 2014, Camino de Madri 2015, Frances 2017
The monastery at Rabanal refused pilgrims who didn't carry their packs. Only one I found that did that on recent Camino.
The monastery at Rabanal, or the unafiliated albergue that joins it?

Anto

Camino(s) past & future
September 2017 SJPDP to Pamplona
Hi All,
this subject is getting a lot of attention/interest. Obviously whether to carry all your belongings on your back or get your pack transported is a touchy subject with some people .I suppose I should say I have travelled with a group of 4 for approximately a weeks walking at a time for the last 3 years (as far as Burgos this year) .We stay in 2 star or 1 star ( if there is such a thing ) budget hotels/guesthouses and get our main packs transported only carrying a relatively small pack for the days walk. We are ranging in age 55 to 58 .
I have found the Camino to be a marvelously spiritual experience really love the Camino and can safely say I have never experienced anything like it before in life.
Would I enjoy the experience any more if I had a few more lbs in my light backpack, I would say not .
When I retire I may go the albergue route with a full backpack and walk it all in one block God willing but for the meantime you may have to put up with the guy carrying the smaller backpack for another few years

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hmm, I distinctly remember on Oct 23, 2013, I took a taxi from Astorga to Rabanal - not knowing anything about that policy - and was allowed to stay at Gaucelmo. I WAS asked if I had walked, and I said I hadn't. The hositalero said he thought he had heard a car door close... I said, yes, that was probably me. He mentioned their policy, but I was allowed to stay the night at Gaucelmo. There were four of us pilgrims that night in addition to the two hospis. Gratitudes... 🙏
I think the situation would have been considerably different if there had been 20 or 30 pilgrims waiting to get in when you arrived.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
I help to run a donativo albergue in Grado, Asturias, on the Camino Primitivo. We do not accept bags sent ahead. No, It's not because we discriminate against the ill, infirm, aged, or disabled. It's because our volunteers are not always there to receive the bags when the driver shows up. Our volunteers can't be responsible for unattended bags, esp. for people who don't intend to stay with us. And if a hiker can afford to send his bags ahead, he can probably afford to pay for a bed in one of the non-donativo albergues in town.

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
Yesterday I posted something that wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. I'm sorry, I just can't help myself. My brain is doing those things to me every now and then. More now than then...

But seriously, I cannot speak for others or determine how they should approach this subject. I can only speak for myself and how I feel about this.

Personally, I like to carry everything I need on my back. I'd like to start walking in the morning without knowing where I'll end up that day. So I don't like the idea of having to go to a certain place to collect my backpack.

Does that mean I'm opposed to transportation of backpacks? No, it doesn't and I am not.

What I enjoy most is to walk Caminos the way I want to. Regardless of how other pilgrims walk their Caminos. If I meet pilgrims that do things in a different way than me, I'm perfectly comfortable with it. I'm thanking God on my bare knees for creating people in such diversity. It makes life so much more colorful.

I like people. No, that's an understatement. I love people. I love to talk to them, I love to listen to them, I love to hang around with people, I love to laugh with them. I love to cry with them. I like to learn from them. I love it when they are like a mirror to me. Other people help me to reflect on myself (and the things I'm used to doing) and help me not to take myself too seriously.

So, when I meet other people (or pilgrims, who, in my book, qualify as being human beings) I'm interested in a lot of things. And I'd like to talk about or learn about a lot of things. However, transportation of a backpack is not one of them. There's so much more to a person than the fact that he/she has his/her backpack transported.

I think I'd like to be treated by other people in a friendly, loving, not judgemental way. And I believe that, in order to achieve that, I'm most likely to succeed if I treat other people the same way.

Buen Camino to you all, in whatever way you walk/bike your Caminos.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2020
As early as 1994, I have personally suggested to people on the Camino with such health issues to use the JacoTrans.

I think that if you can carry your pack that it's better to do so, and I'm particularly not keen on people transporting entire suitcases along the Francès, but the main reason for it is that if you transport your luggage, then you are programming your route in advance, which will kill versatility and spontaneity ; plus it can leave you in the lurch if you have a sudden emergency, and everything you need for the emergency may be elsewhere and out of reach.
I had shoulder surgery last year and my backpack hurts with any weight past 7 lbs. I plan on bringing a wheeled luggage bag to transport forward every day as I walk from SJPP to Santiago. My reasoning is if my bag is dropped in another spot and I need to carry it even a block or two, it might do some damage.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
To answer the original question.
I am pretty confident that I saw a sign on the Xunta albergue in Ocebreiro that ranked pilgrims in the order they would get a bed if it was busy. This was on Easter Sunday this year.
1. Walkers from SJPP
2. walkers from Burgos
3. Walkers from Leon.
4 Cyclists from the above
5. People with vehicle support.
This might not be totally accurate as I stopped worrying after item 1.
Blimey, so if I get there walking from home, no bed for me then ? grumbles ...

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
I had shoulder surgery last year and my backpack hurts with any weight past 7 lbs. I plan on bringing a wheeled luggage bag to transport forward every day as I walk from SJPP to Santiago. My reasoning is if my bag is dropped in another spot and I need to carry it even a block or two, it might do some damage.
Hi Jeanne,
a wheeled luggage back is only one possibilty which may not be very comfortable to use on some tracks.
Another possiblity is to reduce the content and weight of your backpack as much as possible (easier in summer). I know people who manage to walk with less than 3 kg.

If this is still out of reach for you, it may be possible to combine a small back-pack and a hip-pack, like the "Osprey Talon 6".

I even know a german pilgrim, who only walks with an hip-pack, "bergans langevann 11". He did various Caminos with that, even Caminos where no backpack-transport was available.
Here is a link to his packing-list: hcbukowski and here to his Video on YouTube: packing the hip-pack

So you see that there may be different solutions for your problem.

BC
Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2020
Hi Jeanne,
a wheeled luggage back is only one possibilty which may not be very comfortable to use on some tracks.
Another possiblity is to reduce the content and weight of your backpack as much as possible (easier in summer). I know people who manage to walk with less than 3 kg.

If this is still out of reach for you, it may be possible to combine a small back-pack and a hip-pack, like the "Osprey Talon 6".

I even know a german pilgrim, who only walks with an hip-pack, "bergans langevann 11". He did various Caminos with that, even Caminos where no backpack-transport was available.
Here is a link to his packing-list: hcbukowski and here to his Video on YouTube: packing the hip-pack

So you see that there may be different solutions for your problem.

BC
Alexandra
First of all thanks for the info about the Osprey Talon 6. I am probably going to buy it.

Wow, he packs very light. I'm traveling in early April, hence packing for rain too.
I didn't want to add to my other post, since it makes me sound wimpy, I've also had knee surgery. In training, anything over 7.5 pounds causes shoulder and knee pain. I want to get to Santiago and if transporting a wheeled luggage bag is going to let me, so be it.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed, I'm not judged too harshly. I'm not saying from you, just from other pilgrims who may not understand. I can walk with the best of them. Just not carry any weight. Maybe I should put some kind of sign on the outside of my bag, lol.

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte Plata
Hi Anna,

I never saw a pilgrim turned away for not having a pack...the key to entrance being your pilgrim passport. A municipal albergue may require a sello from the previous night's stay to gain entrance though private albergues (Red Albergue members come to mind) seem to want a full house regardless of how you arrive.

Buen "walking with my pack" Camino

Arn
The St. James Albergue in Rabanal will refuse you if you didn't carry your backpack.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Ymanning Frequently Asked Questions 5
OLDER threads on this topic
Are the albergues heated?

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 47 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 280 24.2%