• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Transport on Camino: Can All Albergues Accommodate?

Antonius Vaessen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
Due to kneeproblems I am considering to make use of luggage transport on my next Camino :The central route from Porto. There are a few companies that offer this service. At the moment I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer
- Most companies ask to make a planning of your stages beforehand. How easy is it to make changes in your planning ( eventually on short notice)
- Do all albergues accept luggage transport? (And/ or people who make use of luggage transport) In another thread I read that some companies only deliver at bars. Is this the case?
- Did you use luggage transport specifically on the central route, if so what are your experiences?
I have looked at a few websites of companies, I did not find clear answers to my questions, I send some emails,but did not get an answer yet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No. Most of the private ones do, the Xunta places in Galicia don't, and some of the Parish/Donativo/Municipal places don't - - although often in such situations a nearby bar will be a sending and delivery point.

Due to kneeproblems I am considering to make use of luggage transport on my next Camino :The central route from Porto. There are a few companies that offer this service. At the moment I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer
- Most companies ask to make a planning of your stages beforehand. How easy is it to make changes in your planning ( eventually on short notice)
- Do all albergues accept luggage transport? (And/ or people who make use of luggage transport) In another thread I read that some companies only deliver at bars. Is this the case?
- Did you use luggage transport specifically on the central route, if so what are your experiences?
I have looked at a few websites of companies, I did not find clear answers to my questions, I send some emails,but did not get an answer yet.
We have very successfully used luggage transport on both the Central and Coastal routes in Portugal. To answer your first question, I need to know what you mean by “on short notice.” Without exception, we have contacted our carrier the night before pick-up at our albergue, hostal, or appartment. It was as simple as using Whats App or a simple text to make arrangements for the next morning. No arrangements were made more than one day in advance. The carrier confirmed our pick-up and drop off information and we left our packs with money where instructed (i.e., the room, the lobby, etc.). Even when staying in an apartment, the carriers seem to know where “special” pick ups and drop off need to be made. Most of the time our packs were nicely secured before we arrived. We never experienced any problems. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the name of the Portuguese company we used last spring. On a previous trip, we were very pleased with TuiTrans.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is unusual - I remember a strange private albergue owner in Logrono who did not accept delivery….not sure why? We had to walk a block to pick up our bag up at a bar, which we didn’t know we would need to do. The next morning we had to wait for the company to come pick it up. The owner said he had a “friend” who would deliver it, and that he didn’t want the company to come there. However, he was such a strange character, and I sensed something was “off”, so we waited outside for the company truck and got a late start that morning. Based on the driver’s comments that morning, we made the right decision. Since I have used this company repeatedly, my decision was the right one.

Normally, if you can’t find a listing of the accommodation, email the transport company and they will reply and indicate where you can pick up the luggage/bag.

1. You can use Jacotrans and other courier services without any planning on a daily base from one stage to another. My advice is to call them up every time before 8 am and give them name, a pick-up and delivery place, in addition to filling in and attaching the small envelope to your pack. Just call and say "Hola, estoy [name] en el Albergue [name and place] y tengo una mochila para entregar en el Albergue [name and place]" (Every Albergue provides envelopes, often they have a selection of different ones from a variety of providers and the cost for the service is either printed on or can be asked).

2. A few Albergues refuse to accept receipt of transported backpacks categorically. Mostly, however, (the private ones anyway-) will condone acceptance, when you stay the night with them.
Beware of sending your pack just for your pick-up with the intention of staying somewhere else, though, as, understandably, nobody likes that.

When in doubt or in lacking a delivery address, consult with the courier service, but this will necessitate fair Spanish knowledge, as most courier station managers speak little else. Asking for assistance from the hospitalero may also help.
If you stay in pensions, hostals, hotels, etc, you will have no problems at all getting your pack delivered, often enough, it is already waiting for you in your assigned room.

(Note: My personal experience is limited to Jacotrans and some other private providers, not with Correos, the postal service, which is very good, I heard.)

Most of the private ones do, the Xunta places in Galicia don't, and some of the Parish/Donativo/Municipal places don't
I walked for several days with a pilgrim who was experiencing severe should pain. She found that, even in Galicia, some of the Xunta and Parish albergues accepted her pack in the circumstances. It is probably best to be guided by Correos, or whichever company you choose, as they will know which places will accept your pack, and where alternative arrangements may be made if necessary.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some albergues will not accept either luggage transport or pilgrims who "are walking with support" like luggage transport, taxi/bus, and even in some cases bikes. Those same places often don't accept reservations either. I have worked at one or two of these albergues. There are many private facilities that do accept luggage transport, however, it is good to find out in advance so you are not disappointed.

Just a note, having luggage delivered to a location does not mean you have a bed. That is a separate arrangement.

Walking independently on the Camino Frances last September, it was easy to access the transport services from wherever I stayed (albergue or private room). The tags you use to indicate your name, pickup and dropoff locations, and payment, are almost everywhere. Once you use one company and like them, keep a couple extra of their tags.
- Call the dropoff location to confirm they are open and will accept your 'mochilla'. Most municipal albergues will accept packs and are fine with you taking it somewhere else when you get there. This was never an issue for me.
- Call/message the transport company the night before you want to use them, between 7-9 pm. Expect limited English and that they will be busy. They are on Whatsapp as well. Make sure you receive confirmation that they will transport your pack.
- Exact change in the envelope is a great help.

At various times, I did not write down the drop-off location, forgot to put money in the envelope, requested change (modest success), or sent the pack to a closed albergue. In all instances, it worked out without any significant headaches.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back