• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do and Don'ts on the Airplane

RobertS26

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, (2013)
Camino Frances, (2014)
Camino Frances, (2015)
Last week someone posted a thread on the do's and don'ts in albergues. Here is my list of do's and don'ts on the airplane as you head to the Camino:

Do:
1. Follow the Golden Rule: treat others like you would want to be treated.

Don'ts:
1. Do not take the opportunity of a ten-hour flight to clip your toenails.
2. If you are in the window seat in Economy, do not take off your shoe and slip your bare foot between the bulkhead and the seat in front of you. That passenger does not need to look at your foot while they eat their meal.
3. If you are in the aisle seat, do not place your legs into the aisle while you are trying to sleep.
4. If you are seated in the window seat, place everything you might need during the flight in a small bag and tuck it between your seat and the bulkhead. There is no need to get up eleven times during a 10-hour flight to get something out of your carryon bag in the overhead bin.
5. Do not babble on and on about your hobbies and favorite movies if the person seated next to you has a book in their hands. Know your audience. Read the room. They are clutching the book in a desperate attempt to get you to stop talking about macrame and Forrest Gump.
6. Do not snap your fingers at the flight attendant. Simply making eye contact and nodding your head will notify them that you want another drink.
7. Do not get intoxicated. No one likes a sloppy drunk in a confined space. Seriously. No. One.
8. Do not watch movies without headphones. You might be surprised at how many people do not find your video selection to be interesting.
9. If you are seated at the window, lower the window shade after takeoff--especially if other shades are already lowered.
10. Leave your Japanese Natto dish at home. Yes, you love to eat it and you do not mind the smell, but believe me, everyone around you is gagging at the nauseating odor.
11. You know the perfume/cologne you love to pour all over your body? Don't. See number 10.
12. When getting up, do not grab the seat ahead of you. Push yourself up from the armrests. The person sleeping in the seat in front of you will be grateful that you allowed them to continue sleeping.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And sit in your assigned seat.

Or else.. the wordsmith who paid for a window seat, who gave you enough hints your in the wrong seat to make it painfully and fully obvious your in the wrong seat....
Will talk to you, and only you

Non stop for the next 4-6hours
Non stop
Forcing your attention
Making you rue the day you decided to steal someone elses seat paid for from low to no funds for an emergency flight home.
Rue the day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
1. When using the lavatory, do your bit to keep/make it clean. Empty the basin and wipe it down with the paper towels provided. And dispose of said paper towels in the receptacle, pushing them down so they don't hang out.
2. A handbag is meant to be small, not a second carry-on! Taking up all the overhead locker space is selfish (the exception to this is parents with small children).
3. Be considerate of the staff. They don't control the number of chicken portions that are loaded (its a mystery who eats the beef), nor the number of passengers, nor can they do anything about delays.

I've just returned from a 26 hour journey, the last portion of which was 14 hours in a fully loaded A380, in sardine class. Aaaaagh.

Lots of good tips. Except this:
9. If you are seated at the window, lower the window shade after takeoff--especially if other shades are already lowered.
This is a pet peeve. I get a window seat to look out the window - it less claustrophobic, keeps my stomach happier, and I never tire of the view of the world from above. Having to close my window so people can gaze dumbly at their tiktok videos? Sorry. Just no.

Edit. I DO shut the shade when it's sleep time, but now they seem to want the shades down even at midday. Perhaps it keeps the mob pacified? I would hate to be a flight attendant now, with so many angry people.

Last edited:

This is a pet peeve. I get a window seat to look out the window - it less claustrophobic, keeps my stomach happier, and I never tire of the view of the world from above. Having to close my window so people can gaze dumbly at their tiktok videos? Sorry. Just no.
I aggressively (!) agree with you. On one flight I complained to the staff, I got so uptight about it. And you're right, the response was that they couldn't do anything about it because the passengers like to see their screens. Actually I think it's just peer pressure gone mad.
@Kanga, did you have 14 hours of black-out? That would drive me insane.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What a good idea of where to put unruly children! (This is meant to be funny and not to upset anyone!).
I am old enough to have travelled in a bed/bunk in a Lockheed Constellation (I think it was) in 1959, with my mother. The beds were where there are now overhead lockers. They were curtained off and I remember the "air hostess" as they were called, waking us up in the morning with a cup of tea. Here is an article with a photo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am fortunate in that I can pay for a flight that is direct and only 9 something hours to Europe from western Canada. It’s not first class but the extra $200 it cost is well worth it and I wouldn’t go back. I’m also a window sitter and I prefer it open so I don’t feel claustrophobic.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Your days of gazing are numbered. Both the 787 and A350 have dimming features controlled by the flight crew. No more glaring sunlight from one window filling the cabin as world travelers try to sleep. Based upon positive feedback, that feature will be incorporated into all new designs.

I love all the ideas above. As a global traveler for nearly 50 years, I endorse every one of them.

Personally, when I travel to Spain or Portugal, I have a car take me to Miami International. They drop me about 50 feet from the Iberia check-in counter. From MIA, the nonstop flight to MAD is about eight and a half hours.

Another tip is to buy your ticket early, and look for cheap upgrades to Premium Economy if possible. Sometimes it is only a couple of hundred dollars more - roundtrip. You typically get a much more comfortable seat, better service ad two checked bags.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The bare foot coming forward through the bulkhead to rest on the forward armrest actually happened to my young at the time daughter. My husband rolled up the in-flight magazine and swatted the offensive appendage. Also my father-in-law had to put up with a woman in the seat in front of him putting her long locks over the back of her seat and directly onto his tray table. Disgusting!

Or else.. the wordsmith who paid for a window seat, who gave you enough hints your in the wrong seat to make it painfully and fully obvious your in the wrong seat....

Non stop
Forcing your attention
Making you rue the day you decided to steal someone elses seat paid for from low to no funds for an emergency flight home.
Rue the day.
Couldn’t you get the flight attendant involved and show your seat in your ticket? That person has to move.

Bring chocolates for the flight attendants. They will LOVE you! I never knew this until a retired United flight attendant house & dogsat for me and gave me this tip. The look of joy and delight on their faces when I boarded and handed them the chocolates was priceless.
I did this in the flight over here to Spain. They did love it!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Two additions: 1. Please bathe or shower before your flight, wear clean clothing, and use underarm deodorant (not too strong smelling). Any other personal hygiene actions that have been suggested in the past are also welcome.
2. If you are elderly and/or frail, you may appreciate the extra space that is available in the emergency exit row. Don't sit there. On some airlines, you may have to tell a flight attendant that you are capable of opening the exit door. Lying about this may be the last sin that you ever commit.
Both the above are from personal, uncomfortable observation.

I am fortunate in that I can pay for a flight that is direct and only 9 something hours to Europe from western Canada. It’s not first class but the extra $200 it cost is well worth it and I wouldn’t go back. I’m also a window sitter and I prefer it open so I don’t feel claustrophobic.
I prefer the aisle seat...that is far less claustrophobic to me. I now pay a bit more for the luxury of sticking my foot out in the aisle as long as I don't trip anyone who is heading to the bathroom.😅

I love all the ideas above. As a global traveler for nearly 50 years, I endorse every one of them.

Personally, when I travel to Spain or Portugal, I have a car take me to Miami International. They drop me about 50 feet from the Iberia check-in counter. From MIA, the nonstop flight to MAD is about eight and a half hours.

Another tip is to buy your ticket early, and look for cheap upgrades to Premium Economy if possible. Sometimes it is only a couple of hundred dollars more - roundtrip. You typically get a much more comfortable seat, better service ad two checked bags.
The only upgrade I paid for recently on American Airlines was for a coveted aisle seat...worth its extra $13 in gold.😅 I wore a mask and it made me feel a bit UNclaustrophobic...otherwise I fly "bottom of the barrel" overseas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I start from home by bike, so no aircraft rules required. Then I can either return by bike or get the train. More traditional, n'est-ce pas?

As a retired international flight attendant of 31 years—thank you for saying what we tried to accomplish on every flight—decency, cooperation, courtesy!
Yes, chocolates were ALWAYS appreciated, but just a thank you was more than we often received. People always thanked the pilots, but remember this: in a crash, the pilots escape route is through cockpit windows. It’s the flight attendants who stay behind to get you off the plane!
Don’t expect the flight attendants to put your “way too heavy” bag in the overhead bins! It’s not their job. They need those arms and back to open the emergency doors, release the life rafts, perform CPR! I used to always lift the bags, but with upwards of 400 passengers per flight, I paid the price and, shortly after retirement, had ribs removed and muscles cut that were crushing the nerves in my arms. It’s one bag to you, but 400 every trip to us!
As to the window issue, here is the reasoning behind it: if you’re flying through the night and the sun rises early, we had you close the shades to allow you to sleep as long as possible. In the old days of the single movie screens, it also made movie viewing impossible. And sometimes the sun is so bright through your window that it’s blinding the person across the aisle. I like to see the view when I travel, too, but be aware of others.
One thing you might not know: during take off and landing, make sure your shades are up: if you have an emergency, you’ll want to know if there’s fire near your exit or if there’s water ( you can’t open certain exits in water) or another danger on your side of the plane. We know when to open or leave that exit closed, but an excited passenger might not, and it’s too late if there’s fire or water. Cabin lights are turned low for takeoff or landing in the evening because we want your eyes adjusted to the dark in case an evacuation is necessary.
And keep your shoes on for takeoff and landing! Emergencies happen and it could make your exit through a debris field a lot more comfortable. Having shoes on in the lavatories is a good idea, too. That is not water on the floor and we don’t have mops to clean up after a slob!
The most important thing to know? In an evacuation LEAVE YOUR BAGS BEHIND! You will puncture the slide , cause a slow down of the evacuation while you struggle to get your bag, your bag could fly out of your hands and kill someone as the slide is very fast, and NOTHING in your bag is worth someone’s life. In the US, our planes are certified on being able to evacuate a plane in less than ninety seconds. Hard to do if some clown is worried about their bags. You see how boarding is congested; now see what happens in a crash! And if you watch any TV reporting of people evacuating, look how many take their luggage!
Sorry for all the “crash” talk, but once a flight attendant, always a flight attendant. Safety was our primary job, not food and beverages.

€83,-
If there are snorers on the flight...rejoice.!!!!
This is your apprenticeship not an annoyance.
So true! It is an apprenticeship of the annoyances to come for a month+ if you sleep in albergues...should you so choose to partake of them. I kind of have liked that communal experience in retirement...where else can we rub shoulders with "the young and restless" who are generations younger than ourselves!🤷...makes me feel young!😅

I agree 100%! I love looking out the window and always book a window seat. I much prefer watching the landscape below, or clouds, to gazing at a screen, which I can do any time at home...I always close it on an overnight flight.

Couldn’t you get the flight attendant involved and show your seat in your ticket? That person has to move.
I've had that happen to me. When the squatter was reluctant to change seats. I politely asked the attendant to find me another seat. I ending up having an entire row and an attendant who made sure I was comfortable for the entire 14 hour flight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will say that often on overseas flights, when I used to love having a window seat, that cloud cover totally turned the window into "nothing much" for the majority of the flight. I now prefer the aisle seat for eight hours. I now prefer to bide my time with movies and less claustrophobia in that "back corner"...makes the time go faster as I can not sleep anyway.

Last edited:
I've had that happen to me. When the squatter was reluctant to change seats. I politely asked the attendant to find me another seat. I ending up having an entire row and an attendant who made sure I was comfortable for the entire 14 hour flight.
The flight was full,sigh

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a good idea of where to put unruly children! (This is meant to be funny and not to upset anyone!).
My ex-wife was a flight attendant. On a flight from Rome to London an Italian lady tried to give her baby over to the flight crew for the duration. Told that this was not their job she then asked if she could put the child in the overhead locker . . .
I thought my wife was joking until I saw the look on her face.

I am not on tictock, nor shall I ever be. You do not speak for many of us on long-haul flights. In fact, my phone is on airplane mode for the whole duration.

As a retired international flight attendant of 31 years—thank you for saying what we tried to accomplish on every flight—decency, cooperation, courtesy!
Yes, chocolates were ALWAYS appreciated, but just a thank you was more than we often received. People always thanked the pilots, but remember this: in a crash, the pilots escape route is through cockpit windows. It’s the flight attendants who stay behind to get you off the plane!
Don’t expect the flight attendants to put your “way too heavy” bag in the overhead bins! It’s not their job. They need those arms and back to open the emergency doors, release the life rafts, perform CPR! I used to always lift the bags, but with upwards of 400 passengers per flight, I paid the price and, shortly after retirement, had ribs removed and muscles cut that were crushing the nerves in my arms. It’s one bag to you, but 400 every trip to us!
As to the window issue, here is the reasoning behind it: if you’re flying through the night and the sun rises early, we had you close the shades to allow you to sleep as long as possible. In the old days of the single movie screens, it also made movie viewing impossible. And sometimes the sun is so bright through your window that it’s blinding the person across the aisle. I like to see the view when I travel, too, but be aware of others.
One thing you might not know: during take off and landing, make sure your shades are up: if you have an emergency, you’ll want to know if there’s fire near your exit or if there’s water ( you can’t open certain exits in water) or another danger on your side of the plane. We know when to open or leave that exit closed, but an excited passenger might not, and it’s too late if there’s fire or water. Cabin lights are turned low for takeoff or landing in the evening because we want your eyes adjusted to the dark in case an evacuation is necessary.
And keep your shoes on for takeoff and landing! Emergencies happen and it could make your exit through a debris field a lot more comfortable. Having shoes on in the lavatories is a good idea, too. That is not water on the floor and we don’t have mops to clean up after a slob!
The most important thing to know? In an evacuation LEAVE YOUR BAGS BEHIND! You will puncture the slide , cause a slow down of the evacuation while you struggle to get your bag, your bag could fly out of your hands and kill someone as the slide is very fast, and NOTHING in your bag is worth someone’s life. In the US, our planes are certified on being able to evacuate a plane in less than ninety seconds. Hard to do if some clown is worried about their bags. You see how boarding is congested; now see what happens in a crash! And if you watch any TV reporting of people evacuating, look how many take their luggage!
Sorry for all the “crash” talk, but once a flight attendant, always a flight attendant. Safety was our primary job, not food and beverages.
Of course the other reason for having the shades up for take off and landing it that if you do have a hard landing the crews on the crash wagons can see if there are still people/bodies inside . . .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Of course the other reason for having the shades up for take off and landing it that if you do have a hard landing the crews on the crash wagons can see if there are still people/bodies inside . . .
Hard landing? The euphemistic equivalent for rock-climbers was “uncontrolled descent”. The consequences of either are probably similar.

Last week someone posted a thread on the do's and don'ts in albergues. Here is my list of do's and don'ts on the airplane as you head to the Camino:

Do:

Don'ts:
2. If you are in the window seat in Economy, do not take off your shoe and slip your bare foot between the bulkhead and the seat ahead of you. The passenger ahead of you does not need to look at your foot while they eat their meal.
3. If you are in the aisle seat, do not place your legs into the aisle while you are trying to sleep.
4. If you are seated in the window seat, place everything you might need during the flight in a small bag and tuck it between your seat and the bulkhead. There is no need to get up eleven times during a 10-hour flight to get something out of your carryon bag in the overhead bin.
5. Do not babble on and on about your hobbies and favorite movies if the person seated next to you has a book in their hands. Know your audience. Read the room. They are clutching it in a desperate attempt to get you to stop talking about macrame and Forrest Gump.
6. Do not snap your fingers at the flight attendant. Simply making eye contact and smiling or nodding your head will notify them that you want another drink.
7. Do not get intoxicated. No one likes a sloppy drunk in a confined space. Seriously. No. One.
8. Do not listen to Tik Tok or YouTube without headphones. You might be surprised at how many people do not find your video selection to be interesting.
10. Leave your Japanese Natto dish at home. Yes, you love to eat it and you do not mind the smell, but believe me, everyone around you is gagging at the nauseating odor.
11. You know the perfume/cologne you love to pour all over your body? Don't. See number 10.
12. When getting up, do not grab the seat ahead of you to get on your feet. Push yourself up from the armrests. The person sleeping ahead you will be grateful that you allowed them to continue to sleep.
I’m sorry, but if we are to the level that someone has to tell us how to act on an airplane, well, I’m in the wrong generation or wrong forum.

Edit. I DO shut the shade when it's sleep time, but now they seem to want the shades down even at midday. Perhaps it keeps the mob pacified? I would hate to be a flight attendant now, with so many angry people.
Having read stories of unruly passengers being duct taped to their seat, I briefly considered wearing a full roll of a cute pattern as a bracelet. I dare say it would have made it through security-no metal parts. I did not and am grateful to not have needed to regret my decision to leave it behind.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your days of gazing are numbered. Both the 787 and A350 have dimming features controlled by the flight crew. No more glaring sunlight from one window filling the cabin as world travelers try to sleep. Based upon positive feedback, that feature will be incorporated into all new designs.
This will definitely be welcome to me. It will allow the crew to sensibly manage our screwed up diurnal rhythm. My upcoming flight from London to Perth departs at about noon, and arrives at noon (local), but takes 17.5 hours flight time. It will be interesting to note at what "time" we are offered daylight. The Aus -London leg doesn't present a problem, departing at night and arriving 5am. I note that the aircraft is a new generation 787.

I found it interesting this spring that on one international flight we had to take off our shoes, but they didn't want us to take our quart bag of liquids out of our luggage. Going home they didn't want us to remove our shoes, but made a big deal to take out the bag of liquids...completely opposite...go figure.🤷

Thank you. Now this is a contribution that I can get behind - a very welcome counterbalance to some of the content in this surprising thread.

Last edited:

I used to love the window seat to see the view. Some memorables - the incredible 'architecture' of central Australia, the desolation of Afghanistan, the stark white peaks of the Himalayas. Do the planes fly higher these days because all I seem to see now is glaring white daylight - or black night.

If there are snorers on the flight...rejoice.!!!!
This is your apprenticeship not an annoyance.
Excellent point.
Your Camino actually begins with your first step out of your front door - (or more accurately the moment you decide to go, but that's another story)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used to love the window seat to see the view. Some memorables - the incredible 'architecture' of central Australia ...
You just reminded me of my first flight out to Australia in a charter 707 full of migrants from the UK in 1970- the Aussies used to call us "10 pound Poms". The sun came up and we gazed out at the blood red desolation of Australia for hours. There was a palpable sense of a plane-load of people thinking "My God! What have we done".

I saw that happen a few years ago on an overseas flight. An older, well dressed woman took the aisle seat in front of us. A man asked her to move as it was his seat and showed her his ticket. She shook her head vehemently "no" and refused to move. He kept asking, and eventually a flight attendent came over and still could not get her to budge, so the man, a true gentleman, eventually took her assigned window seat instead..she had a sense of false entitlement, but she still got her way.

Last edited:
I found it interesting this spring that on one international flight we had to take off our shoes, but they didn't want us to take our quart bag of liquids out of our luggage. Going home they didn't want us to remove our shoes, but made a big deal to take out the bag of liquids...completely opposite...go figure.🤷
There is a reason airports keep you guessing—those that aim to do harm actually do reconnaissance to find patterns. The hijackers on 9/11 flew on our flights for a year to see what the passenger loads were to determine how much fuel we’d be carrying, how many crew members would be working the flight, how strict security was. Nine of my friends were aboard those flights, so I still follow regulations closely. Flight attendants were the ones who called on the air phones to report where the hijackers were seated, what they were carrying, etc. Information that proved valuable then and still helps the authorities today. The shoe bomber was caught by a flight attendant while he was trying to ignite the bomb in his shoe. So, a little bit of keeping you on your toes and not knowing what to expect from security is a good thing!

Thank you. Now this is a contribution that I can get behind - a very welcome counterbalance to some of the content in this surprising thread.
Happy to give insight into something I do know about and that isn’t ever explained well to the public. There are good reasons for most things and, like most people, I want to know why!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
2. If you are elderly and/or frail, you may appreciate the extra space that is available in the emergency exit row. Don't sit there. On some airlines, you may have to tell a flight attendant that you are capable of opening the exit door. Lying about this may be the last sin that you ever commit.
My wife and I always try to get allocated extra leg room seats, typically exit rows. These days there is almost invariably a small extra cost for this. On one trip, she injured her knee and was in a cast. The cabin crew would not allow her to remain in the exit row on take-off and landing, and found us other seats. We were able to return to our allocated seats for the bulk of the flight.

Hard landing? The euphemistic equivalent for rock-climbers was “uncontrolled descent”. The consequences of either are probably similar.
Two more for your lexicon:

lithobraking - deceleration due to sudden impact with the ground

RUM - rapid unscheduled disassembly a TLA favoured by the UK's Highway Agency Traffic Officers on the motorways.

On aircraft that I have flown in with this feature, there has always been a control at each window that allow the dimming to be reduced so that one can see out the window. Other than over-riding anyone trying to dim the window on take-off and landing, it would be a shame to see the option to look out the window from time to time removed.

Do:

Don'ts:
2. If you are in the window seat in Economy, do not take off your shoe and slip your bare foot between the bulkhead and the seat ahead of you. The passenger ahead of you does not need to look at your foot while they eat their meal.
5. Do not babble on and on about your hobbies and favorite movies if the person seated next to you has a book in their hands. Know your audience. Read the room. They are clutching it in a desperate attempt to get you to stop talking about macrame and Forrest Gump.
6. Do not snap your fingers at the flight attendant. Simply making eye contact and smiling or nodding your head will notify them that you want another drink.
8. Do not listen to Tik Tok or YouTube without headphones. You might be surprised at how many people do not find your video selection to be interesting.
12. When getting up, do not grab the seat ahead of you to get on your feet. Push yourself up from the armrests. The person sleeping ahead you will be grateful that you allowed them to continue to sleep.
Agree with most but Definitely will Not sit for 10 hours straight on the plane. Health wise, it is very important to get up and move around for blood circulation and drink lots of water. Also, will not fly with windows blacked out for 10 hours straight unless it’s sleep time or movie time or it is extremely bright outside. Agree with everything else though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When the elderly and frail woman in the exit row behind me asked her husband how she should answer the flight attendant's question (about whether she was *able* and willing to lift the 35lb (15.9kg) window hatch)....he told her to say yes.

I resolved at that moment that, if we were to crash, I was going over my seat and over her to open that hatch if she was directed to do so.

We didn't, but that event burned itself into my brain.

I am old enough to have travelled in a bed/bunk in a Lockheed Constellation (I think it was) in 1959, with my mother. The beds were where there are now overhead lockers. They were curtained off and I remember the "air hostess" as they were called, waking us up in the morning with a cup of tea. Here is an article with a photo.
What a wonderful story!! Thank you for sharing!

Bring chocolates for the flight attendants. They will LOVE you! I never knew this until a retired United flight attendant house & dogsat for me and gave me this tip. The look of joy and delight on their faces when I boarded and handed them the chocolates was priceless.
I've been doing this for years, as a military spouse who has spent LOTS of time on long, long flights. The flight attendants are USUALLY friendly and polite, seem to appreciate the gesture. Those that are not, well, they're only human!!
Word of warning, as much as you want to bring the home-made stuff, stick to packaged products. Besides, what is a run-of-the-mill product for you in your country may be a treat for a flight attendant who is not from that country. And, yes, security.

Why were you on that flight, out of interest?

€83,-
This will definitely be welcome to me. It will allow the crew to sensibly manage our screwed up diurnal rhythm. My upcoming flight from London to Perth departs at about noon, and arrives at noon (local), but takes 17.5 hours flight time. It will be interesting to note at what "time" we are offered daylight. The Aus -London leg doesn't present a problem, departing at night and arriving 5am. I note that the aircraft is a new generation 787.
On my recent flight Sydney - London it was dark from a couple of hours out of Sydney. On the return flight it was dark the entire way.

I might add: DO NOT FLIP YOUR NASTY LONG HAIR OVER THE BACK OF YOUR SEAT!!! Keep your hair to yourself, preferably tied up neatly. No one wants your hair on their lap, in their food, on their tray...just gross.
Whilst air travel is an exercise in communal living and how to tolerate each others differences perhaps a simple request would solve the problem.
If this proves futile then could I suggest quietly administering a substance on the ends (Gravy; Coke or chocolate will do) and offer your sincere apologies that it would seem that the hair had strayed into your refreshment tray.
I should add that the planes I have travelled in the seats and headrests are above head height.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Do:

Don'ts:
Thanks for this--especially 10, 11 and 12! Even after all these years I still feel panic that I will get stuck next to a man or woman who is dosed in scent like I experienced in my youth. I will add 13, which is related to your number 12--please use the remote to change things on your seat-back screen instead of jabbing your finger--those seats may look 'beefy' but they are not!
As to number 3, I have a sad story--one time I stood up to go to the loo and stepped into the aisle. In the dim light I did not see the dark trouser leg and sock, and inadvertently stepped on this man's foot. The air turned blue with the words he called me, as if I had done it on purpose.

€60,-
I might add: DO NOT FLIP YOUR NASTY LONG HAIR OVER THE BACK OF YOUR SEAT!!! Keep your hair to yourself, preferably tied up neatly. No one wants your hair on their lap, in their food, on their tray...just gross.
Ugh! Happy to say I have not experienced that one, KJFSophie, and I hope I never do!

Thanks for the trip!

€46,-
Jeeez guys, ye are taking all the fun out of flying, 😂 I'll just have to walk from now on. ☺️
TBH, you get the option of taking the slow, calm boat to Bilbao or Santander. Why would you subject yourself to an enclosed environment with many diseased people trying to give you colds, flu and possibly worse, just before a long distance trek. ;)

I often feel sorry for people who have to fly to France/Spain, as they can't experience that calm feeling of being rocked to sleep on the ferry to Santander (or watching all the green people with their heads over the side doing what they do). The last time I went out I slept outside on the bench, in the observation area, at the front of the ship. It was a good sleep. :)

My endearing memory of flying was coming back from Hong Kong as a kid with my parents and one of the engines falling off the wing of the plane. We then spent some days in Tehran waiting for a replacement to be flown in. Those fun things that happen to you as a kid. Still I managed to visit Iran, at a time of reasonable stability, so some positives.

wonderful story from Mariana Gosnell...

Non stop
Forcing your attention
Rue the day.
The number of times I’ve had to tell people they are in my seat is astonishing. “You’re in my seat” “But I’m sitting here” “It’s not your assigned seat, you need to move.” “But I’m sitting here” “You are currently sitting there, but the seat is assigned to me. Please move before I call a crew member to move you.” GAH!!!

€83,-

Do:

Don'ts:
Awesome post, let’s hope lots of people take notice!!

Brilliant reply!

I do not recommend opening the window on overseas flights.
I'm against opening the window on any flight!!

My guess is that it was a joke; a play on words on opening a window for some fresh "air", like one might do at home.
I took it that @Albertagirl was referring to the window shade, but couldn't resist taking advantage of the opportunity of reading her post literally and responding. :)

Edit: re-reading this, @Albertagirl was also taking the opportunity to have a sly dig at a previous post.

Last edited:

€46,-
My father was a pilot (not commercial airline), but he always said to keep your seat belt fastened at all times, just loosen it a bit so you can sit comfortably and sleep. Having the belt fastened keeps you in your seat in case of turbulence.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My ex-wife was a flight attendant. On a flight from Rome to London an Italian lady tried to give her baby over to the flight crew for the duration. Told that this was not their job she then asked if she could put the child in the overhead locker . . .
I thought my wife was joking until I saw the look on her face.
Omg 😳

I get you @Miki Goldie. In spite of many many flights, my emotional brain completely overwhelms my logical one and I'm a nervous flyer.

I think the best line offered to me was on entering a small 8 seater for a regional flight. I remarked to the (sole) pilot as I climbed aboard: "This is my first flight in one of these". His response: "Mine too."

He was, of course, joking. Or at least I hope so!

So I suppose we could add to the list of do's and don't's - ask permission before clutching the hand of a stranger on take-off and landing.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back