• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do any albergues still lock people in?

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Further to recent discussion on another thread, I was wondering if there were any albergues on any of the caminos covered by this forum which still lock people in at night, i.e. they cannot open the main door from the inside in the event of an emergency?

Please only give information on this thread if you know that this is current (i.e. seen in 2017) practice at the albergue in question. I will make a list for the resource section if need be.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Which route are you asking about? We were never locked in on the Primitivo. The doors were locked but we could get out. We stayed at albergues, municipal and private; pensiones, and hotels. Never an issue.

All routes covered by this forum. I include instances where there was a hidden key, or something you needed to know about to get out, that not everyone would know about. But I am not interested in tales of derring-do from yesteryear.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I recently read in a book that pilgrims are locked in , was a bit surprised ( and a little panicky) and wonder if this is the truth. I cant imagine from a public health concern this would be allowed.
Will await posts from others

I booked beds at Gite Azkorria in St. Jean for 2 nights. Sept 2017
When the info came back it stated "breakfast at 6:30am, you can not leave until after 6:30am". Did a bit of checking and they do lock the doors.
I canceled the reservation.

Calm down peregrin@s, that really is a thing of the distant past ;-) Even if a place states 'you can't leave before xyz hours' they still have an emergency exit route for - emergencies ;-) BC SY

PS If you really come across the very, very, very odd case that does this - please report them to the local authorities as it is illegal!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The municipal in Burgos. I can't remember what time they open the doors in morning, but I met up with a guy who wanted to start early, but couldn't because he was locked in.

The municipal in Burgos. I can't remember what time they open the doors in morning, but I met up with a guy who wanted to start early, but couldn't because he was locked in.

When I stayed there in 2016 you could just push the horizontal bar across the main door and you were out in the street. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But I am not interested in tales of derring-do from yesteryear.

Well, you sure take all the fun out of the, "My cousin worked with this guy, who had a neighbor, who found out from her mail carrier that twenty years ago on the Camino that . . . " posts.

On 15 March 2014, I stayed in the Benedictine albergue in the old quarter of Leon. They locked the doors until 7.30am. It was quite full, but
I'm not sure how many were actually doing the camino as I saw practically none of them on the track or in other albergues either before or after. Some had been there up to a week it seems. Apparently in winter some albergues do this to keep the cash flow going.

Anyway, there was a pilgrim meal that night but I was the sole guest, which was a bit of a shame as they had gone to a lot of trouble. The others were out surfing the Tapas bars. They seemed to stagger back in up to 2am or later.

I'm very quiet at leaving in the mornings but wouldn't have felt too much compunction at making a bit of noise at 6 that morning when I attempted to head off. I doubt whether even a bomb would have woken up many of them. ( And here was I praying to be given more compassion and understanding as part of my pilgrimage, ouch!).

Anyway the door was locked and I was admonished by the few staff present for breaking the house rules.

"No puedo dormir por el ruido!"

"Entiendo. Es vale. Buen Camino."

And the door was unlocked!

De Colores

Bogong

Usually the albergues are "locked-down" just to maintain curfew. 10pm or 11pm in the summer, somewhere. Never had an experience that was impossible to get OUT, it's the getting IN that's a problem.
Although nobody really tells you how to get out. And that's the problem fire-security wise for example. Hospitaleros go home and you're kind of locked in. But in my experience that isn't really the case if you do a little bit of "research" on your own ;)

A bank vault could be broken in so can be albergue doors opened from the inside...

I am interested in fire safety. For a building to be fire safe you should never need to do 'research' to get out. That is my point in starting this thread.
Note that notion900 is looking for specific instances.
She is to be commended for her efforts.
It is also a hobby horse of mine.
I have several times over the years raised hell over unsafe conditions in hostels. One of the worst incidents I was involved with is noted in Wikipedia. I find it helpful to imagine what 15 burnt youngsters look like.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childers_Palace_Backpackers_Hostel_fire

Always ensure you check the your fire exits in any accommodation.
Regards
Gerard

I am a retired firefighter. Although I can't meet your criteria of a recent occurrence I can suggest that you try the opening mechanism before you kick the door down.
Regards
Jim

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am interested in fire safety. For a building to be fire safe you should never need to do 'research' to get out. That is my point in starting this thread.

I have found myself "locked-in" in both public and private albergues on ocassions. However, the locked doors I experienced were only closed/locked to prevent entry.

I have never found myself unable to exit at will.

Buen (safe-exiting) Camino

The only albergue where I have experienced a lock-in is Meson El Acebo in Acebo on the Frances. Also the water was turned off at night so one couldn't flush the toilets until the owners opened up at 8am. It is also the only albergue that I have been bitten by bed bugs. And I stayed there twice on separate caminos. Same both times. How stupid can I be!

Thanks @gerardcarey
My interest stems from having been in a backpackers that caught fire in the night, in Wellington, New Zealand in 2008. It was caused by an accumulation of rubbish and leaves under the decking that ignited when someone threw down a cigarette, and smouldered before catching light after everyone had gone to bed. Travellers to the Antipodes may know that many old buildings in those parts are entirely made of wood. Thankfully there were adequate fire escapes on that occasion.

Also to avoid wrongful blame, please DO NOT post reports from years ago on this thread, or second hand stories, only problems seen by yourselves in 2017. Many albergues have work done on them in winter, so even a report from last year may have been rectified by now. Please delete any postings that do not meet this request.

My God I feel like im in the Hotel California you can check out anytime you want but you can never leave!

Calm down peregrin@s, that really is a thing of the distant past ;-) Even if a place states 'you can't leave before xyz hours' they still have an emergency exit route for - emergencies ;-) BC SY

PS If you really come across the very, very, very odd case that does this - please report them to the local authorities as it is illegal!
Some pubs in Ireland have lock ins but that's only to keep the authorities out after official closing:p:p:p

Often, but not always, the 'sneak out route' for very early risers and the emergency exit routes are two very different things. The emergency exit route is normally signed clearly, BUT the door might be alarmed to prevent misuse. BC SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Further to recent discussion on another thread, I was wondering if there were any albergues on any of the caminos covered by this forum which still lock people in at night, i.e. they cannot open the main door from the inside in the event of an emergency?

Please only give information on this thread if you know that this is current (i.e. seen in 2017) practice at the albergue in question. I will make a list for the resource section if need be.

Yes. I was locked in Salamanca april 2017.
Very rare but it happens. I normally check and leave if i find it so

Note that notion900 is looking for specific instances.
She is to be commended for her efforts.
It is also a hobby horse of mine.
I have several times over the years raised hell over unsafe conditions in hostels. One of the worst incidents I was involved with is noted in Wikipedia. I find it helpful to imagine what 15 burnt youngsters look like.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childers_Palace_Backpackers_Hostel_fire

Always ensure you check the your fire exits in any accommodation.
Regards
Gerard

I was on a bus that dropped people off at that hostel the day before,i've always wonderd and hoped they had moved on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Would you be willing to post this (in simple English) in a review on www.gronze.com ? Spanish hospitaleros rarely read this forum, but I think they do read Gronze, as it's one of the most influential sites for Spanish pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes it is tru

Yes it is true, it happened to me 3 days ago. i was a few Km from isla on the camino norte about 350 km from santiago. a small nice little albergue /bar / restaurant and i was locked in with 2 big wood doors and no way out except a 3 story window down to pavement. i didnt realize it at the time ,but when i was ready to go in the morning i was stuck, i tried everything, then finally at 7:00 am i started knocking very loudly , the lady woke up and her husband came out and unlocked the doors. i was really pissed. this should be illegal, i am a big strong guy and could have broken the doors in case of fire, but if it was a small person they might die if there was a fire. this could be very serious. im sure people would like to know the name etc, but i want you to just check before and think ahead. no need to do anything else. if the owners do this practice it is their country and their property. so just tell them you will not agree to this practice and you will not stay unless they allow you a key. that is my approach. shawn corrigan

I'm telling you it

i'm telling you it is real. I dont have the info to do the reporting(I could spend some time and find the name of the town if i was asked), i dont like using the government for forcing people either.that is my opinion and i am not wanting any discussion on that topic,but i just want people to know that it is real,and they should think ahead and not assume that a building has everything they way they think it should be. many buildings are very old and have some quirks. i agree that it should be perfect in regards to fire safety but i accept that it is not. shawn

Yes it is true, it happened to me 3 days ago.

Would be good to name the albergue here to warn others.

I don't think 'old buildings' is ever an excuse to lock a front door from the inside and not leave the key visible.

By starting this discussion I am encouraging people to post a 'Recomendado? - NO' review about any albergues they find doing this on www.gronze.com as this website is widely influential in Spain and is certainly read by albergue owners. Look for the Commentarios tab on the albergue's page.

I appreciate @SYates 's comment that not many do it. which is why there is no excuse for anyone to endanger people like this.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm telling you it

i'm telling you it is real. I dont have the info to do the reporting(I could spend some time and find the name of the town if i was asked), i dont like using the government for forcing people either.that is my opinion and i am not wanting any discussion on that topic,but i just want people to know that it is real,and they should think ahead and not assume that a building has everything they way they think it should be. many buildings are very old and have some quirks. i agree that it should be perfect in regards to fire safety but i accept that it is not. shawn

Hi Shawn,

It would be really helpful, and would give your post more credibility if you could name town and albergue. Thanks, SY
PS And even more helpful if you report it to the local amigos organization and/or any other organization that can reinforce the health and safety regulations that the albergue have to adhere to.

Would be good to name the albergue here to warn others.

I don't think 'old buildings' is ever an excuse to lock a front door from the inside and not leave the key visible.

By starting this discussion I am encouraging people to post a 'NO' review about any albergues they find doing this on www.gronze.com as this website is widely influential in Spain and is certainly read by albergue owners.

I appreciate @SYates 's comment that not many do it. which is why there is no excuse for anyone to endanger people like this.
It only takes one. I wouldn't personally feel comfortable sleeping in a building that I could not escape from. Fires can start for any number of reasons especially if the wiring is old and in poor repair. A hostal can be quirky but it must also be safe. Any building that allows access to the public should be rated by the local Fire dept and proof displayed in the entrance to say that it is so . An unhindered viable means of escape in the event of a fire etc should also be pointed out to patrons on admittance.

Thanks for the support on this @Kieran Kenneally

When I think of the thousands upon thousands of words of fretting about bedbugs expended on this forum, and yet something more serious and dangerous is given so little regard, and treated as unimportant or a bit of a joke even, it makes me wonder.

Locking people in is not a harmless eccentricity, a quirk, or funny, and being locked in is not an opportunity to be adventurous to do some 'research' to see how you can 'sneak out'. If you are reading this and have not visited Spain yet, and you think this is irrelevant to you, let me tell you that 99% of buildings in Spain have bars on the ground floor windows, permanent bars that you cannot open.

So we have a number of actions you can take if you find that an albergue locks you in:

@SYates recommends
Tell the local Amigos group - although how you are supposed to do this is rather obscure, if you don't speak or write Spanish, or know which Amigos cover the albergue in question
Tell the local authorities - again, how you do this isn't easy, if you don't speak Spanish and will be leaving early the next morning

Maybe she could compose a letter for you if you contact her in a private message?

Or alternatively you could do what some of the posters above have done, which is leave / cancel your booking, and tell the proprietors why. A pain in the wallet is an excellent way to get a point across.

Or I can suggest you post on www.gronze.com or Trip Advisor a Not Recommended review (in English) stating that fire safety is a problem.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tell the local authorities - again, how you do this isn't easy, if you don't speak Spanish and will be leaving early the next morning ...

Actually this one is quite easy as ALL commercial establishments have to provide hojas de reclamaciones/ complain forms. These are also available in English and they have to give them to you if you ask for them. As they are numbered, the business can't easily temper with them and the copies get forwarded to the authorities.

Please be careful! These are a very powerful method and can get a business into trouble if used 'on a whim' like in 'the water was luke warm and I paid 3 Euro for the albergue and expected better'.

BC SY

Very interested to hear Salamanca albergue (not commercial) is still being locked and it's not possible to get out. Although 'ancient' news.... in 2011 some friends went out to eat, missed the evening curfew at Salamanca, tried knocking (naughty I know) Then when pilgrims inside the locked albergue tried to let them in, or just to give them their packs and gear, the door could not be opened from the inside.

I hope to be a hospitalera next year, in Salamanca or Zamora, and would really like to find out more about this and do something about it. Not comfortable with being locked in, even if there is an internal courtyard.

Very interested to hear Salamanca albergue (not commercial) is still being locked and it's not possible to get out. ... Not comfortable with being locked in, even if there is an internal courtyard.

Actually you can get out, but the emergency exits are into the park, which is closed at night. You can open the ground floor doors into said park, which is spacious, but not the main albergue door. Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Come to think of it, there are still some peculiar situations in France (not necessarily on the major routes) where you might find yourself locked in.

Some of them I cannot elaborate upon, for secrecy reasons, but there are some Monasteries and so on where you are locked in, but a friar or such will keep vigil during the night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Which are the ones that really lock you in? BC SY
I can't remember b/c I don't stay there anymore, but Joe's coming over for a meeting tonight and he has a memory like an elephant. He'll remember the name. I just remember REALLY being concerned that if there was a fire, there was no escape.

I can't remember b/c I don't stay there anymore, but Joe's coming over for a meeting tonight and he has a memory like an elephant. He'll remember the name. I just remember REALLY being concerned that if there was a fire, there was no escape.

Looking forward to Joe's answer! BC SY

We just came back from walking Burgos to Leon. At the Parrochial Albergue de Santa Maria in Carrion de Los Condes we were told that the door would be unlocked at 6am but not before. There was a queue of people waiting to get out by the time it opened. I questioned the hospitalero/volunteer about it as we were leaving. She made the following points:
1. If we allowed people to leave earlier nobody would get any sleep because some people would get up at 3.30 etc.
2. There is an emergency exit through the garage, and if you follow the fire exit signs it will take you that way
3. This was confirmed by some Camino friends of ours, who actually left the Albergue at 11pm, so they could walk the first stretch (17km) where there are no services, by the light of the full moon.

I think if they lock the front door but there is a clearly signposted and unlocked exit elsewhere, that's OK. Also monasteries where the perimeter is locked but you have an exit into the grounds also ok.

@CaroleH have you read the reviews of Salamanca albergue on Gronze?

Events of today should bring this issue into the minds of many, sadly.

We just came back from walking Burgos to Leon. At the Parrochial Albergue de Santa Maria in Carrion de Los Condes we were told that the door would be unlocked at 6am but not before. There was a queue of people waiting to get out by the time it opened. I questioned the hospitalero/volunteer about it as we were leaving. She made the following points:
1. If we allowed people to leave earlier nobody would get any sleep because some people would get up at 3.30 etc.
2. There is an emergency exit through the garage, and if you follow the fire exit signs it will take you that way
3. This was confirmed by some Camino friends of ours, who actually left the Albergue at 11pm, so they could walk the first stretch (17km) where there are no services, by the light of the full moon.

Yes -- actually last time I slept on the garage floor, and I can confirm that you can exit through there at any time -- I made the good decision to get to sleep earlier than usual that night :p

I know several folks who are active on this thread have walked the VdlP. It seems to me that we were locked in while at the monastery albergue in Alcuescar. I do not recall if there was an emergency exit, but I'm certain that we were waiting in a group for the front door to be unlocked in the morning. Anyone else remember an emergency exit? I probably should have asked when I was there! This is a thought provoking thread, which will modify my approach in the future.
Mike.

The municipal in Burgos is weird. Mandatory departure 08:00, and at 07:55 the guy turned off the lights, leaving more than a dozen pilgrims trying to find shoes, backpacks, sticks, etc. in the dark. I and at least one other said out loud that unexpected blindness is not going to speed us up!

But the facilities were nice.

Looking forward to Joe's answer! BC SY

It was years ago and it was San Rafael, we believe, in Ages.
We stayed there two different years and both times they locked us in until morning.
The second time was not by choice, the other albergues were full.
I was pretty nervous.
It's otherwise a lovely albergue but I did NOT like being locked in.

Well they have there rules. I have been locked in private Alburgue. However the owner sleeps there so she handles emergency. Its on the co
And has the pool.
In Galicia They lock the doors and ask we do not open them for any reason except emergency. Boom as soon as the employee leaves. People open the doors to go smoke and what ever. In ourensr they taped the catch so they could get back in. I now have a number to call when this happens again. They will not be allowed to sleep in Galicia mini Alburgues for a year. Sorry. And please no debate.

I now have a number to call when this happens again. They will not be allowed to sleep in Galicia mini Alburgues for a year. Sorry. And please no debate.
Wait, wait, they have them in some sort of data base? Love it.

Please spain has fire inspections often as well as police. They do a fine job and are trained in all aspects. Respect.

The only albergue where I have experienced a lock-in is Meson El Acebo in Acebo on the Frances. Also the water was turned off at night so one couldn't flush the toilets until the owners opened up at 8am. It is also the only albergue that I have been bitten by bed bugs. And I stayed there twice on separate caminos. Same both times. How stupid can I be!
El Acebo is one of the very few places where I ever remember being locked up. The water being turned off had something to do with the big pool another albergue or hotel had. In 2016 they were making jokes about bed bugs but still seemed to try to fight them. However, we did get bites there. Not long after El Acebo a lot of people started having stomach problems. It might have absolutely nothing to do with the place but the lack of water for flushing the toilets or washing your hands made you feel a bit yucky about the place. Being locked up for the night seemed like a minor thing.

Most read last week in this forum

I was walking on this part of the trail at around 8 am this morning. I noticed some strange materials along the path (some condoms, a pornographic picture, a pair of male underwear). The path is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back