• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do bedbugs wear wicking underwear?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In preparing for my first Camino, I was paranoid about bedbugs, not just being bitten by them, but bringing them home on my pack. I really agonised over it for ages. it was one of the things I was most concerned about. I hadn't actually encountered them before.
Eventually we treated the packs and sleeping bags with permethrin, and took a list of instructions in terms of what to do if we did encounter them. (Mainly - put everything through a clothes dryer on a high heat). And I took a prescription ointment just in case we were bitten.
We didn't get bitten, but couldn't put that down to the treatment, or the lack of bugs. Likewise the second Camino. At Pamploma though, I saw a young guy with rows of bites all over his arms, and they were driving him crazy. I have to admit to staying some distance from him.
Then at the end of the last Camino, we went to Finisterre and stayed in a really nice apartment for a couple of days. There were 3 bedrooms, we had a room each. It was so hot I didn't wear anything to sleep. And I left my pack in the lounge. The only thing I took in the room was a book, and the clothes I had been wearing.
The bed had lovely white cotton sheets and the place seemed spotless.
I woke up the next morning and realised I had been severely bitten during the night. I had rows of bites all over me, my arms, legs body, even my toes.
Promptly showered, covered myself in the creme, washed and put my stuff in the dryer. Locked the door to that bedroom and never ventured there again. Lucky the place came with a clothes dryer.
No-one else was bitten. Everyone treated me like a leper. The dryer ran for hours as everything went through it. I abandoned the book.
I guess the one fortunate (unfortunate?) thing is that I have so many allergies I live on antihistamines. So oddly enough the bites cleared up quite quickly. My sister had been bitten whilst travelling years ago, and it been a terrible experience with them driving her crazy and getting infected.
We went to Paris on the way home, and I was so embarrassed to have these bite marks all over me, but no-one seemed to notice.
Weird though, never getting bitten on the Camino, but later on, when we had finished.
So next time, I'll do the Permethrin thing again.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back