• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll Do I absolutely need sunglasses for the Camino Frances in June?

Is it NECESSARY for me to bring sunglasses on the Camino Frances in June?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

jsmck2

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2018)
I'll be doing the Camino Frances throughout the month of June, but will be leaving overseas in a week. I stupidly didn't think of the necessity of sunglasses until now. The problem is that I wear prescription glasses and so can't just buy a pair of sunglasses - would need to get prescription ones and won't be able to get them in time. I'd also prefer not to buy prescription sunglasses anyway because they would be very expensive for me - just my lenses by themselves cost $500... (Incidentally, I could've gotten prescription sunglasses at half price a few weeks ago when I purchased a new pair of prescription glasses, but stupidly didn't think of it at the time.)

I'll have a hat and my glasses have lenses which feature an anti-reflective coating and provide 99.9% UV protection.. So I'm really hoping I won't need sunglasses..

How many people on the Camino where them?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wear sunglasses that fit over my prescription glasses. They hang on a cord around my neck so that I can slip them off and on easily. They go everywhere with me, home and abroad. I wear cocoons, but there are other brands.

jsmck2, I hope you have a great Camino. I would recommend wearing sunglasses. Even though I have reactalite lenses, I bought wraparound sunglasses, cheap as dirt, that covered my prescription glasses and ensured that I was in no danger of harm from the sun, even from the sneaky corners of my eyes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do you normally wear sunglasses? I don't. And I live in Australia (very sunny)
I think if you have a hat with a peak/brim you'll be fine.

Having said that, because I wear glasses, I did get prescription sun glasses to wear on Camino.
Not sure why, I thought they might be more comfortable. As I said, I'm not normally a sunglasses person.
I would be just as happy with clear lenses I think.

You could get 'clip on' tinted lenses to put on to your normal glasses?

I've always worn sunglasses while walking the Camino, but they are not a necessity. A good, brimmed hat of some sort is, though. I least to me it is, and that brim shades your eyes as well. You will be just fine with a good hat/cap.

I'll be doing the Camino Frances throughout the month of June, but will be leaving overseas in a week. I stupidly didn't think of the necessity of sunglasses until now. The problem is that I wear prescription glasses and so can't just buy a pair of sunglasses - would need to get prescription ones and won't be able to get them in time. I'd also prefer not to buy prescription sunglasses anyway because they would be very expensive for me - just my lenses by themselves cost $500... (Incidentally, I could've gotten prescription sunglasses at half price a few weeks ago when I purchased a new pair of prescription glasses, but stupidly didn't think of it at the time.)

I'll have a hat and my glasses have lenses which feature an anti-reflective coating and provide 99.9% UV protection.. So I'm really hoping I won't need sunglasses..

Hi there,

The great thing about walking the Camino Frances is that you're walking from east to west so the sun being in your eyes really doesn't trouble you that often. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Sunburn on the back of your neck? Now that's a different story.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I got glasses that go over my prescription ones , about £7 sterling. I cycled one day, quite a dull day, without sunglasses and the next morning my face swelled up like an elephant! Really - I walked into the shower room and thought 'poor disfigured woman' then realised it was me... Took 3 days for the swelling to go...:cool::cool:o_O

I too wear prescription glasses and had no problems without sunglasses.
I wear a Tilley hat - wide brim and keeps the sun off my ears and neck, no need for sunglasses with a good hat IMO.

It's really hard for anyone to answer this for someone else - sunglass wearing is such an individual thing! Personally, if I step outside on a sunny day I can barely open my eyes without sunglasses, and a hat doesn't help. But that's me - everyone's eye sensitivity is different. If you think you might need them I would say go with the suggestions above and find a pair that will fit over your prescription glasses. If you don't have time you could see how you go for the first few days on the Camino then try to find some in e.g. Pamplona if you need them. But if it was me I would not want to risk a few days of what would be (for me) great discomfort, and I'd try to get some before leaving home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are walking the Camino Frances, you will be walking primarily from East to West. Thus, the sun will be over your left shoulder most all day, while you are walking.

On three journeys along this route, I have used only my eyeglasses with Transitions lenses in them. This provides near 100 UV protection, plus some glare reduction. When I first did this, I carried separate prescription sunglasses, but ditched them starting with the second, due to weight issues.

I would say that, unless you are highly susceptible to problems from glare, you should be fine. If, however, you eyes are sensitive to glare (or bright sunlight) try to find some sort of clip-on or snap-on that will get you through it.

As an FYI, in mid April, I will walk from Ponferrada on the Camino Invierno, as I have not done this route yet. I will NOT be bringing sunglasses, for all the above reasons. However, I will send them ahead, with some other supplies, to be at Santiago waiting for my arrival.

Hope this helps...

If you have access to Costco either on line or walk in they sell excellent over the glasses sunglasses that also shade perrifial vision. I forget the SPF factor but it is good. I use them all the time now after my first camino. I bought clip ons and combinrd with a sweaty nose the wait was enough to keep them sliding down my nose. The Costco ones fit tightly, come with a silky bag and a string to hang around your neck when you dont need them

I did CF-Fisterra-Muxia mid-September thru October and used my sunglasses almost every day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most people are aware of how harmful UV radiation is to the skin. But we don't realize that UV radiation can harm the eyes as well. My optometrist recommends that everyone, even children, wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from harmful solar radiation.

Absolutely ? No.

But the answer as to whether YOU need them or not is in your eyes, not this forum.

Most people can get by with a brimmed hat against the sun (and rain), but anyone with delicate eyes will need more than that.

Listen to yourself and to those in your life who love, live with, or care for you directly, not to anyone with whatever opinion in here. You cannot afford to subject a medical question to the opinion of unqualified random strangers on the internet, though we do collectively I think wish the best for you.

One's necessaries on the Camino should most certainly not be bypassed.

Most people are aware of how harmful UV radiation is to the skin. But we don't realize that UV radiation can harm the eyes as well. My optometrist recommends that everyone, even children, wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from harmful solar radiation.
I agree with this - I live in sunny San Diego and wear sun glasses all the time I am out doors - even on the rare cloudy days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would not even be able to open my eyes outside without sunglasses in the daytime.. I wore sunglasses on the Camino (I went in May/June and Sept), but then I wear them at home as well. I have light sensitive eyes, regardless of whether I'm looking into the light or not.
Whether or not you need sunglasses will be an individual thing - but I would go prepared if I was you. You can buy cheap but quality fit-overs, they are light and wont break the bank. And no-one cares what you look like on the Camino.

€46,-
I'm among the minority that does not wear sunglasses. I did not take any with me, and I did fine. I get my eyes checked regularly, and they are fine too.

I wear sunglasses that fit over my prescription glasses.
So I think you have had a vast assortments of replies, jsmck2!
If you don't normally wear sunglasses, don't bother.
But remember - you can buy sunglasses that simply fit over your normal glasses: they are very inexpensive - about 3 Euros.
Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wouldn't go anywhere without my sunglasses because I hate glare. However if you have managed without sunglasses until now, you will probably be fine with a wide brimmed hat, or wrap around glasses like other forum members have suggested.

I bought clip-on sunglasses through Amazon for my glasses (see the profile pic) for about $10 US. Easily put on in bright sunlight, or removed in the evenings and morning.

Thanks so much for all your replies - really appreciate it!! I've purchased some prescription sunglasses, which I ended up getting at half-price. Am now just hoping they arrive before I leave! They're expected to arrive within a few business days, but it can take longer than expected and there's no guarantee.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It depends on you because everyone has different eyes.

If below case, YES, you may need.
You need sunglasses on normal daily life.
You are a slow walker, so you may still walk after 2pm most of days.
Otherwise, NO, you may not need it.

I walked Camino Frances two times during middle of May to Jun. I got sunglasses but I couldn't feel that I need it. I think sunglasses over your eyeglasses is more uncomfortable than without sunglasses.
I will start walk this May again but still sunglasses is not important consideration of me. Buen Camino.

I need sunglasses in Australia but just take my prescription glasses with transitional lenses on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Nope. I wear glasses. I broke contacts but broke my sunglasses on Day 2 and never replaced them. This was in 2012 during a heat wave. My sun hat worked fine.

If you have 99.9% protection in your prescription lenses you are probably safe.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A wide brimmed hat is not a solution. A lot of eye damage is caused by reflected UV light not just from water but from stones glass and white washed walls. If your clear prescription lenses are as you said 99.9% UV protection then you should be OK. The wrap around UV protective designs sound like great idea.

At this writing, I am 26 days from cataract surgery on my left eye and had a minor bleed in my right eye 5 days ago. (It will need cataract surgery after I return home from the CF some time mid Summer). I have protected my eyes all my life and will never stop doing so. Sight is one of the greatest gifts we have been given and definitely worth protecting. I wear sunglasses even on cloudy days.

In this case, jamck2, consider the "over the glasses," or, "flip up / down," type to ensure safety. It is a long time to spend outside under the Sun, every day for more than a month.

€46,-
I had the cataract surgery some years ago, it was a miracle. However my eyes are much more light sensitive than they were. Sunglasses are are a necessity, unless its actually raining.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I got transition lenses for my prescription glasses, so they darken in the sun and act as sunglasses. They aren't cheap but they have changed my life. No more having to carry extra sunglasses and no more lost sunglasses. When I go to bed, my glasses go next to the bed. When I get up, I reach over and put on my glasses and I'm good to go. If it gets bright out, my lenses darken and I look even cooler than I normally do!

I need to agree with you...well, because I've learned this the hard way. I developed severe cataracts within a 5 year span that necessitated surgery in both eyes just last month. I always thought cataracts was an 'old persons' issue. As my eye surgeon said, it isn't so much attributed to age, than it is to sun exposure. ( obviously, the older one gets, the more exposure over time ) Very young people, especially those in sunshine sports, get cataracts at early ages . In my case it was walking the camino ( and the training beforehand ) for months and months in the sun without sunglasses every year for the past 7 years. Hard lesson learned.

Absolutely wear sunglasses the harm that can be caused by the sun even in moderate climates is worrying i always carry sunglasses and i am a weight obsessive id rather have my sunglasses then gloves.
Please be careful even when using a hat but then im fair skinned and have very light sensitive eyes. Good luck

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got transition lenses for my prescription glasses, so they darken in the sun and act as sunglasses. They aren't cheap but they have changed my life. No more having to carry extra sunglasses and no more lost sunglasses. When I go to bed, my glasses go next to the bed. When I get up, I reach over and put on my glasses and I'm good to go. If it gets bright out, my lenses darken and I look even cooler than I normally do!
My husband Mike wears transition lenses in his prescription glasses and they were what he wore on his one and only Camino in June 2018. We live in San Diego Southern California where we have sun 90 percent of the time. I wear sunglasses but that is what transition lenses are for... so you don’t need sunglasses.

I bought a pair of the flip up sunshades to attach to my regular glasses. Works fine

My wife and I had a long conversation with an internationally renowned eye surgeon a couple of years ago. He gave us his top two pieces of advice for eye heath: eat a ‘rainbow’ of vegetables ever day and wear good quality sunglasses outdoors every day. He said that the the latter was especially important if your eye colour was anything other than brown. I don’t know why, but I take his advice. I don’t know the HMRC tax code inside out, but I do what my accountant says. The eye advice is more important IMHO.

€46,-
Wide brimmed hat such as Tilley and end of last year I carried, my fourth camino I convinced myself that my Raybans would come in handy. I wore them with hat walking over Pyrenees and kept removing them to talk to people, who said eyes are windows to soul. I was concerned that I might drop them, leave them behind so I placed them in my pack and they never seen light of day after France. If not wearing hat or hat with narrow brim then yes but no as trusty Tilley kept sun Uv and rain at bay plus can't attach my pins to my sunnies 🤠

I think its like walking poles and phones, there nice to have but not necessary. It's the individual, whether they think its essential or not.

You can get 'over' sunglasses which you put on over your prescription ones.. They sell them for driving and fishing - very good anti glare and strong protection. So that might be worth a try... Available online in usual tax-avoiding stores!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't like wearing sunglasses while walking on camino (or any type of hiking), but I bring them for afternoon exploring.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.