• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I carry a sleeping bag or an ultra light liner bag ?

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Dear all,

I will be walking the camino primitivo late October / begining of November 2019.

I am not sure if I should cary only an ultra light liner instead of a sleeping bag. Do all albergues provide blankets?

By carrying only a liner I will save 400gms of weight.

Could anyone with experience of this route help me to decide?

Thank you and kind regards,
Ray Aquilina

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For me, it's actually the bulk of the sleeping bag rather than weight that makes be bring the liner - I'd be relying on blankets if staying in albergues but could supplement with thermals if needed - closer to the date you can get a better idea on probable low temperatures

By the end of your camino some albergues might be closed which means you need to go to municipals/xunta albergues. In these albergues there are often no blankets, and sometimes also no heating.
I would take a good sleeping bag.
When I did the Portugese in november/december two years ago, I also took extra long underwears which I was wearing every day after the shower. I was very happy with that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for your feedback .. The reason for this is that prior to the Primitivo I will be walking the Mozarabe where I am sure one can do with only a liner ...However I think I will take the sleeping bag...last year I was on the Sanabres after the VDLP the same time of the year and it was very cold. Most albergues had blankets but a few one offs did not ..so better no risk. it can be very unconfortable. I normally take a base layer as well that helps..thanks once more.
Ray

Hello fellow pilgrim,

I walked the camino in July and had a silk Liner instead of a proper sleeping bag.

2 times I woke up in the night, b/c it was very cold. In Burgos we had 34°C on the midday and on the next morning we got temperature around 7°C with wide open windows in the albergue (no Spaniards around).
No blankets and no heating, we were in mid summer, eh?

If I would go in late fall like you, I would take a good sleeping bag with me. OK, it is more bulky and a little bit heavier. But who cares, if you are shivering all night long?

I agree with the previous posters, take a sleeping bag. You don't want to have a bad night sleep because of cold weather, despite there's "natural human heating" generated in communal dorms. I walked the Primitivo the second half of August and there were blankets at all the albergues (municipals and private) but as it gets colder there may not be enough for everybody. And some of the private albergues, as mentioned above, will be closed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My only experience of the Primitivo was in spring, and it was FREEZING. I'd have died without a sleeping bag. Two weeks before I arrived, they'd had a heat wave. Unpredictable mountain weather.

Just curious for those who recommend a sleeping bag, what temp range bag do you take?
I have a very light one 389 gms and 8-10 degrees C rating. As yet untested.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Robo I use a hiking quilt (similar rating to yours) -inside a silk sleeping bag liner.

Last time I took a Costco down throw (which cost all of $35), and it was fine too. I slightly prefer the quilt because the cover feels less slippery.

Just curious for those who recommend a sleeping bag, what temp range bag do you take?
I would say anything is fine, but opinions about this will differ. If it would be too cold you can always wear some extra clothes and/or put your jacket on top of the sleeping bag. And if it seems like freezing the first night, buy something cheap in Grado!

Dear all,

I will be walking the camino primitivo late October / begining of November 2019.

I am not sure if I should cary only an ultra light liner instead of a sleeping bag. Do all albergues provide blankets?

Ray Aquilina
Definitely a sleeping bag - as lightweight and compact as you can get. Merino wool long sleeve top will keep you snug, and you can wear it in the daytime walking if it's cold. You can't rely on albergues to have enough or any blankets.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear all,

Ray Aquilina

For temps above 3.5 c, I use a backpacking sleeping quilt that weighs 312 grams. There are a number of inexpensive products like this that will give a lightweight and flexible sleep system.

Dear all,

Ray Aquilina
I walked in 17 with only a liner. Walked to lugo and took the camino verde.walked in early september and was cold every night. Never saw a blanket until biomorto(for r ent. In oct.,,take a bag. I have one that is small and light. I am on the salvador right now and the low tonight in poladura will be 46

In Spain, I have used a 5 degC bag. I don't sleep well in mummy bags, which means using slightly heavier rectangular or semi-rectangular bags. Last year, for Norway, I bit the bullet, and bought a -1 degC bag that is somewhat more mummy shaped, but not so tight that I wasn't able to move my legs. I don't think that level of warmth is needed on the Camino, except perhaps in winter.

I also think the bag you have will probably be fine for spring/summer/autumn in albergues. It will always be possible to wear more if you are facing a really cold night in an unheated albergue. And blankets appear to be more readily available than they perhaps might have been, although there are mixed message on that score.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear all,

Ray Aquilina
I'd go with a bag. Sea to Summit's one pounder does me well. It'll can be well below freezing then and as mentioned many albergues will be closed. I beat the compression problem by loading it into a loose bag, putting it at the bottom of my pack, and then letting subsequent gear do the compression for me.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.