• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I have to reserve from Sarria onwards?

Deanpf

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2016 from Burgos to Finisterre
hi

I am in triacastela now and so tomorrow will be in and around sarria. I'm going to try and avoid the big stage ending towns but wondering if I have to reserve ahead of time. I've made it this far without.
I have no phone and my Spanish is poor at best so reserving is not always easy. And I also love not knowing where I am going to end up on a day. That said I don't want to be homeless for the last days.
Thanks for any advice.
Dean

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
There are xunta and some other albergues from Sarria on that cannot be booked. You make the decision about when to start looking for a place, and if there is a free bed whether it is worth the risk walking on to the next one and finding it full.

You might find leaving reasonably early so that you reach your preferred destination before it fills part of your pattern if you are not already doing that.

I would consider to walk tomorrow only the path to Samos if you have not problems with your return date. It is a short stage and there are wonderful landscapes there. This way you can avoid the main towns of the rute, resting between them, where usually there are much less beds demand, but still a lot of them available.
Buen Camino to you all, honest people.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
After Sarria, several Camino routes converge, many pilgrims start their pilgrimages here, and the flow towards Santiago is logically much heavier. You are well-advised to make onward reservations, unless you are willing to take your chances on your first-choice of lodging being "completo" each evening.

You see, everyone else is going the same way as you, and everyone else wants what you do, a bed for the night. The good news is that it is only five or six days from Sarria to Santiago.

In your situation, one tactic that can work is finding someone who can speak Spanish, and who can use YOUR mobile to call ahead for reservations. The guide books have phone numbers for private albergues and hostals. if you do not have a mobile, someone else does, or the place you are staying may have a "land-line." If you have a guide book, consider a private albergue or hostal slightly before or slightly after you day's destination. I personally prefer slightly after, so I have less to walk the next day, in case it is wet, windy, and raw.

Absent having a walking companion who can help you, ask the hospitalero or hospitalera at your present lodgings (assuming they speak at least some English) to use your mobile (or theirs) to call ahead to book you a room. I have done this using gestures, a guidebook (pointing to the property or writing the name and number on a slip of paper), and my mobile. On some occasions, the person making the call for me had to call two or three places, but it still worked.

I have done this in my early Caminos, before I learned about Google Translate and Booking.com. IT WORKS!

Having said that, if you make a verbal booking this way, SHOW UP TIMELY! Usually the onward lodging will hold your room until about 1600. After that, you are likely to be dumped from the queue. Please, do act responsibly and with consideration and get there. If your plans change, DO find a way to contact the lodging and cancel the reservation so another pilgrim might have a place to sleep that night.

This will NOT work for public albergues. It usually only works for private albergues and hostals, on up...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I am past Sarria and having no trouble getting a bed. I'm in Melide at Pereiro Albergue, it's 9pm and none of the top bunks are occupied in my dorm. There are also lots of albergues in small hamlets along the way.

Or,
There are xunta and some other albergues from Sarria on that cannot be booked. You make the decision about when to start looking for a place, and if there is a free bed whether it is worth the risk walking on to the next one and finding it full.

You might find leaving reasonably early so that you reach your preferred destination before it fills part of your pattern if you are not already doing that.
Or, if you don't want to walk with the early crowd, plan to STOP early and get a bed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hi

I am in triacastela now and so tomorrow will be in and around sarria. I'm going to try and avoid the big stage ending towns but wondering if I have to reserve ahead of time. I've made it this far without.
I have no phone and my Spanish is poor at best so reserving is not always easy. And I also love not knowing where I am going to end up on a day. That said I don't want to be homeless for the last days.
Thanks for any advice.
Dean
Fairly full but not 100% in Ribadiso. Hotels in Arzúa have been full the last two nights

hi

Thanks for any advice.
Dean
I didn't and had no problem finding Albergues, even when arriving late in the afternoon (6.30pm) I always found space, often lots of space. (This was from 9th to 14th October). Hope this helps

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Not speaking Spanish and also being a slow walkers we often asked the hospitaleros to book the next place. Occasionally I did manage a phone call in very basic Spanish, amazingly I could make myself understood. (September 2016).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back