• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I have too much time on my hands.....?

witsendwv

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
...or does anyone else make their own shells. I have seen lovely handmade credentials, but not so many shells. I got the idea from Liz Brandt two years ago when we walked the Camino Primitivo. She posted her shells and I made similar ones that were beige with red stiches. This past week I have been working on shells for the end of the month. (My pack is not full and the laundry is not done, but I am sewing.) They are Flecha yellow and Camino blue. The front says Camino Portugues and A Guarda, Galicia. The back of one has an arrow with Ultreia and the other Et Suseia. As I said, I must have too much time on my hands, and a sewing machine that is smarter than me. We will be starting our walk on Nov. 24.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My sister and I walked together in 2016. Our shells were from a collection we found 40 years ago on a family trip to the coast. I drilled the holes by hand with a Swiss Army knife and threaded a ribbon through each. The ribbon came from a gift my sister gave me and Bears the name of a much loved Australian designer. My shell has seen two Caminos!

Attachments

• IMG_2320.JPG
    IMG_2320.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know! So beautiful. That was the first time I saw the them too. I didntnitice them in 2016 otherwise I would've bought one!

My shell is quite small. I picked it up on the beach in the Sultanate of Oman, in the middle east, shortly before we finally returned home after nearly a decade living there. It went with me on all 5 of my Spanish caminos. This summer, I walked my first French camino, starting in Le Puy. I had put my shell in my carry on bag for safety, but when I got it out in the evening, ready for the start the next day, it was broken at the top. Not sure if it was trying to tell me something.....

I bought this decorated shell in Santiago this year. It may go on my backpack for my next Camino.
View attachment 48428
If you want to have a try yourself here are some guidance pamphlets. Once you know the secret it's quite simple but getting a smooth, parallel set of lines takes patience.
Apparently the secret of how these were drawn was a mystery for years until somebody found an uncompleted one and noticed the the matrix of dots around which the lines are drawn.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• ck_tutorial_07.pdf
    421.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Exercise.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 20
  • posteren.pdf
    659.6 KB · Views: 22
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The shell I use on my backpack is a smaller size (weighs less 😉). It is from trips we've made to warmer shores in winter and it's been with me the 4 times I've walked caminos.
While waiting at the airport gate in Chicago for my Madrid flight last year a man came up to me to inquire if I was going to be walking the Camino Frances as he had noticed my shell. We struck up a nice conversation as he was starting his first camino and had some questions. I then saw him periodically the whole way to Santiago...sometimes it's a small world!

My sister and I walked together in 2016. Our shells were from a collection we found 40 years ago on a family trip to the coast. I drilled the holes by hand with a Swiss Army knife and threaded a ribbon through each. The ribbon came from a gift my sister gave me and Bears the name of a much loved Australian designer. My shell has seen two Caminos!
I love that idea. I have shells from other trips, but I am not brave enough to try and drill a hole in one. I think I would end up with bits and pieces.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you want to have a try yourself here are some guidance pamphlets. Once you know the secret it's quite simple but getting a smooth, parallel set of lines takes patience.
Apparently the secret of how these were drawn was a mystery for years until somebody found an uncompleted one and noticed the the matrix of dots around which the lines are drawn.
Enjoy!
I downloaded these to read later. I don't think my hand would be so steady or my eyesight keen enough to follow through! Thanks.

I love that idea. I have shells from other trips, but I am not brave enough to try and drill a hole in one. I think I would end up with bits and pieces.
Not too close to the edge, try a small "pilot" hole first, little bit of lubrication (cooking oil will do!), then a slightly bigger hole once you've broken through. Practice on a piece of stiff plastic first!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do you remember where you purchased this shell? It is beautiful.
I saw them in several tourist shops in Santiago. I don't remember exactly which one. Most had St James sword on them, but I wanted the celtic design.

does anyone else make their own

I did'nt make my own.

But I carry two shells picked off beaches near where I live by friends and given to me. They are on either side at the top of my pack. They are both small - about 25 mm (1 inch) each.

One is, of course, a scallop shell.

The other is found around the Pacific. It is a Paua (north Americans might say Abalone) shell It is special to me as a nearby village is called Paua'ta'ha'nui. Translated from te reo (the language) Maori it says the place where Paua were gathered.

If people ask me about the shells I say one indicates my destination and the other where I have come from.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back