• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need a power coverter in Spain?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. A prong adapter is all you need.

Except for the matter of access to an outlet.

Might I suggest bringing a solar panel?

And, if I recall correctly, many of the electrical sockets over there are recessed and, because you don't see it, it's easy to leave the adapter in the socket when you remove the charger. I've don't that. Out of sight, out of mind. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I need only to recharge iPhone and iPad, do I need just a prong adapter for the round Spanish outlet plugs? Thanks.
Bama Bill

Do it at the same time every day when you are in the Albergue, Pension or Parador otherwise you will join the queue of having one stolen or forgotten.
Its one of the reasons private rooms are very popular.
On the Norte just this year i pulled out the phone that was charged overnight and forgot you know what.
Only on reaching the next village were we saved as family friends of the albergue owners worked in the previous town.
And we have been doing this caper for many years and still errors occur Bill.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I need only to recharge iPhone and iPad, do I need just a prong adapter for the round Spanish outlet plugs?
Yes. But tape the two pieces together. I've left the plug converter in the wall when I pulled out the USB charger.

However, it is simpler and probably just as cheap to buy the USB charger in Spain. It will have the right plug. And do get a charger with multiple ports. Outlets often are outnumbered by people wanting to charge their devices.

Check your iPhone USB adapter to see if it is rated to 240V. If it is, you will not need a converter. However, if it is not then you will need to step down the current to 110V with a converter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Check your iPhone USB adapter to see if it is rated to 240V. If it is, you will not need a converter. However, if it is not then you will need to step down the current to 110V with a converter.

These things are digital relying on diodes and other electronic components to convert from line ac voltage to usb dc voltage and are not voltage sensitive in terms of 120/240.

However, it is simpler and probably just as cheap to buy the USB charger in Spain. It will have the right plug.
In Pamplona I went to the Apple Store to replace the adapter I had left in the socket in the SJPP hotel. Apple could only offer me a USB charger for 20 Euro. At a nearby department store I found a replacement adapter for 3.50 Euro. Others' experiences may differ.

I've heard you can mount the solar panels right on the outside of the rain water collection container as long as it fits under the wind turbine!
Amazon.com has several solar powered phone chargers. You can charge while you walk.

€149,-
A smart idea? A safe practice?
It appears lots of folks, me included, have left their adapter in the socket when removing their charger. The adapter usually being pretty small, some smart folk use colourful electrical tape to bind the the two items together.

As an aside I have twice seen drawers in hospitaliers desks that were absolutely chocker with left behind adapters, chargers and leads of various kinds. We've all lost leads right?
Don't be shy about asking.
Donativo wouldn't hurt.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
The appears to be the same item, similar price (once you select a mainstream device). There is more information (and a photo that you can zoom in on to see input is 100-240V).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2A-Max-EU-P...Power-Adapter-Charging-Universal/131740420915

Honestly, I would just a little nervous about using an unbranded charger without a bunch of reviews available from a credible source.

If you do buy a really cheap one, see if a friend has one of these (to test the output). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3JSEG6/?tag=casaivar02-20
I bought one because I have ended up with so many charging blocks I wanted to make sure I was using good ones.

I like the concept, and bought the following two port charger (which failed after about 2 weeks - not recommended by me) - which has 3.9 out of 5 stars based on 364 reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MV6UBIC/?tag=casaivar02-20

¡Buen Camino!

The appears to be the same item, similar price (once you select a mainstream device). There is more information (and a photo that you can zoom in on to see input is 100-240V).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2A-Max-EU-P...Power-Adapter-Charging-Universal/131740420915

Honestly, I would just a little nervous about using an unbranded charger without a bunch of reviews available from a credible source.

If you do buy a really cheap one, see if a friend has one of these (to test the output). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3JSEG6/?tag=casaivar02-20
I bought one because I have ended up with so many charging blocks I wanted to make sure I was using good ones.

I like the concept, and bought the following two port charger (which failed after about 2 weeks - not recommended by me) - which has 3.9 out of 5 stars based on 364 reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MV6UBIC/?tag=casaivar02-20

¡Buen Camino!

This is not rocket science guys.
If you loose one go to a general store and buy an adaptor/charger that happens to be used by the population of Spain.
If you are in the middle of the desert then the albergue owner will point you in the right direction.
Gerard has already mentioned how many are floating around in albergues.
If you have one look after it.
This life is a very simple expedition please don't get carried away about unbranded appliances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back