• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need a Sleeping bag for Via Monastica?

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
I'm walking the Via Monastica (from Holland) in April. Do I need my sleeping bag, or can I get away with a silk liner?

Does anyone know from first-hand recent experence? I'm leaning towards the liner, but even if you only need a sleeping bag once or twice, when you need it you really need it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can you use the slightly heavier liner? Not the silk one? We have one called Thermo-something or other from Sea to Summit. It is orange and has a reflective liner. IT still worked in the summer as well.

Can you use the slightly heavier liner? Not the silk one? We have one called Thermo-something or other from Sea to Summit. It is orange and has a reflective liner. IT still worked in the summer as well.
I have one or the other already, with no possibility of (or interest in) shopping for something new - and just need to choose which to carry.

We plan to stay with vrienden op de fiets and in monasteries, where it sounds like a sleeping bag won't be needed. But there are also a few pilgrim's accommodations, and these may be different. Hence the question for boots on the ground experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm walking the Via Monastica (from Holland) in April. Do I need my sleeping bag, or can I get away with a silk liner?

Does anyone know from first-hand recent experence? I'm leaning towards the liner, but even if you only need a sleeping bag once or twice, when you need it you really need it.
Depending on your accommodation choices, as always, I would take that sleeping bag. April & even May can bite. Last years weather / temperature data here: https://www.holiday-weather.com/amsterdam/averages/april/

It may just be because i'm a wuss but I'll take a sleeping bag to the Sahara ;)

What I have done in the past is to wear the clothes I will be using the next day rather than to carry a sleeping bag. It also means I can wake up, put my boots on and start walking.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Hi
I have done 4 Caminos walking in April, May, June, July. September and October. I have only ever used a liner and have never had any problem. Hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Vince

Enlightened Equipment out of Winona MN USA makes down and synthetic quilts and sleeping bags that are so feather like they and fit quite well in the bottom of your pack without having to roll them at all, I just stuff it in and am ready t go:) My 50˚F quilt (there are other temp. choices) has been perfect for all of my Caminos and will go with me in April.
Take a look if you'd like:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have done 4 Caminos walking in April, May, June, July.
I have done 6 caminos in March, April, May, June, and July. But not in Holland and Belgium. Spain I know well. But it's not the same. So I'm looking only for feedback from people who have walked in Southern Holland and Belgium. Thanks anyway.

Take a look if you'd like:
Thanks, but as I said above, I have both a bag and liner with no possibility of (or interest in) shopping for something new - and just need to choose which to carry.

Doing the Primitivo 1st week in April and leaving the sleeping bag at home for the first time this time in favour of the silk liner, much lighter. As all private accommodations booked only, I feel the risk of the cold being unbearable is low. Will find out I guess.
As you say above you are not sure of the accommodations, then this to me is high risk, whether this is the Low Countries or anywhere else, and would make the personal decision to take the sleeping bag! Via Monastica is new to me, sounds interesting, good luck!

I know you only want information from those familiar with the accommodation options you will meet. I don't qualify. However, you said: when you need it, you really need it. Listen to yourself!
On the Portugues in July or August 2013, we were forced to buy a sleeping bag (the shop only had one at our price!). We took turns at using it as a cover at night, and were we we glad of it! The silk liners were not sufficient. Given that you have one: no pide pan!
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do take the sleepingbag with you! If not needed I will be more than happy to drive to your accomodation and keep it safe for you till after your Camino. Bit like carrying some of your stuff with me on the train when you were walking up to Salvatierra!

Afterall I'm not that far away when it comes to driving in our two relatively small countries.
And it would be a good excuse to have a coffee with you...:)

It sounds like starting out with both could be a good idea. If the sleeping bag is needed, happy days (well, nights actually) you stay warm and comfortable and wake refreshed and ready to walk another day.

On the other hand, if you get to a point where the bag isn’t any use you can always send it home and have just the silk liner to carry on with.

Of course, it does depend on how bulky and heavy your sleeping bag is. Don’t worry, I’m not going to suggest buying a new one as you’ve made it very clear that a pre Camino shopping trip is NOT your list of things to do…..;-))

Most read last week in this forum

Today I arrived in one of my favourite cities in Italy, Palermo, ready to start a solo walk across Sicily on the Magna Via Francigena tomorrow! It’s a ~185km trail from Palermo to Agrigento that I...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.