• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need a sleeping bag? Silk? down?

Jeanne F

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hello pilgrims, my friend Marci and I are doing the Camino through May starting at end of April. I'm confused about types of sleeping bags and don't think I want to use provided blankets if possible. However I am worried about the weight. We both are easily chilled. Any recommendations?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Take a sleeping bag. Lightweight two season down if you can afford it, whatever you can afford otherwise. Even late April there will be cold nights especially in the hills. Others might recommend a silk liner plus wearing all your clothes. I don't, Feeling cold or cluttered in clothing are not conducive to a good nights sleep.

Take a sleeping bag. Lightweight two season down if you can afford it, whatever you can afford otherwise. Even late April there will be cold nights especially in the hills. Others might recommend a silk liner plus wearing all your clothes. I don't, Feeling cold or cluttered in clothing are not conducive to a good nights sleep.

I agree. Try to get one under 500 or 600 grams tops, and that zips down to the feet, so for the times it is warmer you can leave it almost open or loosely draped over you. I walked in May both times and was glad to have my 420 gram down bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jeanne, Hope you have a great Camino. One of mine was pretty much round the time you anticipate to do yours. I hate the cold so I would also wear a light weight fleece to bed. It proved invaluable and cosy...I took a liner with me and never used it. Left it in one of the religious hostels, hoping that a religious pilgrim might take it. My sleeping bag was light weight and adequate. Blankets can be pretty grotty but if you're too cold spread over your sleeping bag it's not so bad. Try and get a bed as far away from a window and door as possible and try and shower as soon as you arrive. Hot water can easily be used up by early pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always take a lightweight sleeping bag, and have extra layers that I can comfortably sleep in. I am also easily chilled.

Other people are happy with a liner and layers of clothing. Either way, a down jacket or vest is nice to have in the evenings and then you can wear it to bed, along with long johns and your second pair of long pants.
Try to get one under 500 or 600 grams tops
Only down bags get under 600 g. Anything synthetic that is under 600 g will be more of a liner. That might be enough for May, but you don't really know, and you would want to have good layering. The lightest synthetic bag (good for 7-10C that I've seen is about 600 g and mummy shaped. You can get a synthetic bag of rectangular shape for about 900 g.

You can 'audition' various sleep systems prior to leaving. Just cool your bedroom to the lowest temperature averages during your desired season of travel on Camino. Then use whatever gear you are thinking about taking, to sleep in at while still at home. In this way, you can dial in the gear and experiment until you know what will work for you.

I always take a sleeping bag. Don't understand people who don't but... That's just me! My fears, my problem, my added weight ;)
You can get very good (cheap) sleeping bags that weigh 600 gr. and will be adequate in albergues.
There are other options, have a search through the forum,...people have come up with all sorts of combinations...
To sum up I wouldn't go without a sleeping bag but then I need to be comfortable when I sleep.
Up to you :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another vote for walking with a sleeping bag and or quilt in any season except summer. Mind you I have only walked in spring and autumn. In early autumn I didn’t need the sleeping bag very often but I did use it especially towards the end in October. In early spring I used it every night. Besides my sleeping bag in my backpack on my back is my security blanket. I may have watched too many movies and youtubes about things like extreme weather events or just no available beds! :p:p:p

Yes on the silk liner. Invaluable! I also have a small COSTCO down comforter (I think it's called a Double Diamond). Weighs less than 1 lb. heading from Astorga into mountains tomorrow, and I expect to need it.

I’m currently using the same down comforter, and I’m finding it fantastic. I don’t always like being trapped inside a bag, although often I will just unzip it and use it as a cover.

The Costco down comforter stuffs down really well, and is also big— I want to say 60 x 72. Exceptional warmth, light, and. doesn’t take much space.

For this trip, I was traveling through France to Tournus, where I stayed with a family member.
I even used it there. 20 USD, I think.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello pilgrims, my friend Marci and I are doing the Camino through May starting at end of April. I'm confused about types of sleeping bags and don't think I want to use provided blankets if possible. However I am worried about the weight. We both are easily chilled. Any recommendations?
Our snugpak bags were good for May (no liners) and weighed 750gms each with their stuff bags. One really cold night we did use the albergue blankets over them. The link gives you an idea of the style, and the hood section is good for warmth or as a 'pillow case'.
Very lightweight longjohns are good for warmth at night (not for walking in) and similar long sleeved vest. Mine weigh 70gms each.

oh I wanted to do the same question but I find many good answers! thanks pilgrims.
but it is curious to read in other old threads that in July and August (I do not want to think in April / May) in some CF places, especially in Galicia, there is a need for the blanket at night! is it really possible?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
oh I wanted to do the same question but I find many good answers! thanks pilgrims.
but it is curious to read in other old threads that in July and August (I do not want to think in April / May) in some CF places, especially in Galicia, there is a need for the blanket at night! is it really possible?
Yes! I walked in July and August this year, and there were a few nights that I was happy to have my little (7 ounce) down blanket. In fact the August morning that I left O Cebreiro it was so cold that I wished that I had brought gloves. I put socks on my hands instead.

Yes! I walked in July and August this year, and there were a few nights that I was happy to have my little (7 ounce) down blanket. In fact the August morning that I left O Cebreiro it was so cold that I wished that I had brought gloves. I put socks on my hands instead.
When there is not much indication weatherwise for the need of gloves, using socks is not only a field expedient multitasker that works, but it saves the weight of carrying gloves that are not usually needed and reduces pack volume. Good job. :)

I’m currently using the same down comforter, and I’m finding it fantastic. I don’t always like being trapped inside a bag, although often I will just unzip it and use it as a cover.

The Costco down comforter stuffs down really well, and is also big— I want to say 60 x 72. Exceptional warmth, light, and. doesn’t take much space.

For this trip, I was traveling through France to Tournus, where I stayed with a family member.
I even used it there. 20 USD, I think.

I added snaps to the Costco quilt so it could be used either as a quilt or bag. Me husband is taller so I sacrificed a second quilt bu taking 3 squares off one and adding to the other to make his quilt/bag longer. The added section and snaps brought his bag to 538 g.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I use a silk liner to crawl into but have a 4 oz. down camping quilt to cover with. My 1st Camino I used a 40 degree ultra light sleeping bag, I prefer the quilt.

I use a silk liner to crawl into but have a 4 oz. down camping quilt to cover with. My 1st Camino I used a 40 degree ultra light sleeping bag, I prefer the quilt.

That sounds like a good quilt. What brand is it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also have a down Costco quilt (they are in the camping section). Very cheap and it is fabulously light, but does have a very slippery cover. I've now sewn a few press-studs on the quilt with receptors on my silk sleeping liner, so the quilt stay on. In summer I prefer this combination to my sleeping bag. Much easier to regulate body temperature.

My only query with the Costco quilt is whether it can go into a hot dryer if there is a bed bug problem. Has anyone tried it? Dry heat is not a problem with my down sleeping bag, but the Costco quilt has a thin shiny nylon cover and I do wonder how the cover would react to high heat.

I have done this in a regular home dryer with no problem. With a commercial dryer, I wouldn't suggest the hottest temperature. You only need about 50-60°C (which is not super hot) for 20-30 minutes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are albergues with no blankets provided whatsoever. A lightweight quilt sleeping bag will almost guarantee a warm night's sleep. Check out the Sea to Summit Traveller Tr I for example, for only 389 grams you will be snug as a bug with the option of opening it up like a proper quilt. Enjoy! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.