• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

do i need a sleeping bag?

megs 52

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk the camino in june 2015
Starting my camino journey from St Jean on 29th June. Do I need a sleeping bag?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would at least take a sleep sheet or liner.
In some places, the sheets can be quite dirty.
Most places, except for Roncesvalles, provide mantas (blankets)

All you really need is a loin cloth - and that only to prevent you from being accused of being an exhibitionist.

Everything else is a matter of choice.

Anyone can be uncomfortable along the camino. You're an adult so no one will take offence if you freeze at night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So you better look good in a loin cloth

When I went thru Roncevalles there was a picture of a guy that was wearing one & some type of cape. If anyone can find that picture it will give an idea of the loin cloth style. OOps this is about sleeping bags no take a liner. The loin cloth dude didn't even have a pack, if I remember...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Minimum would be a silk type liner my amigo....I went last May/June 2014 and used these in pic below. Two night were really cold and so was I .....

Attachments

• Sleep system used 2.JPG
    Sleep system used 2.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
If you do find yourself in a situation where you are cold, don't forget your ALTUS raincoat (or other raingear for that matter) works GREAT as a barrier against the cold. I slept one cold night in Roncesvalles with nothing but the ALTUS to cover me and I was fine.

Also, just put on all your layers and sleep with your clothes on.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
All depends if you are warm or cold blooded surely,can get cold at night up in the high plains,also some hardy pilgrims like the windows open,

Amazing.....how many threads currently deal with the exactly same topic!
A quick search on "Sleeping bag" reveals a more than ample coverage of this subject.
Come on, folks: take a look first, before posting! Thank you!

Sometimes it is good to re-hash old discussions to drive new thoughts and products that were not on the market in the past. New ideas are always welcome.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All depends if you are warm or cold blooded surely,can get cold at night up in the high plains,also some hardy pilgrims like the windows open,

That would be me. :p
Those albergues with all of the sweaty, coughing, farting pilgrims can get REALLY stuffy.
I always try to get a bed by the window so I can crack it open just a bit.

Those albergues with all of the sweaty, coughing, farting pilgrims can get REALLY stuffy.
Ditto. I had no interest in inhaling in other pilgrim's funk all night, and it would just plain get humid and stuffy. I would open one up every chance I got and if possible took a bunk next to it so I could keep opening it back up as other pilgrims came and closed it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Simple answer, no. I started on April 15th and carried my sleeping bag from St Jean to Logroño using it only once in Jesus y Maria in Pamplona. I sent it home and carried on with just my liner. Almost every albergue had blankets available although most nights, the liner was enough. In July, it is highly unlikely you will need a sleeping bag

Now I know who opened that dammed window,,,because of the sweaty,coughing, pilgrims as for the farting even her Majesty the Queen farts.

Amazing.....how many threads currently deal with the exactly same topic!
A quick search on "Sleeping bag" reveals a more than ample coverage of this subject.
Come on, folks: take a look first, before posting! Thank you!
Didnt you know some of us,have a thing about sleeping bags

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back