• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need a sleeping bag?

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
I am planning walking the Le Puy Route in September. Can anyone tell me if I’ll need to take sleeping bag or liner or do all the bites supply sheets or blankets. I’ve walked the Camino Frances and Camino Portugues and in both occasions I hardly had to use my sleeping bag. It would be good if I didn’t have to take the extra weight and bulk of my sleeping bag liner this time. Thanks for any information.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am planning walking the Le Puy Route in September. Can anyone tell me if I’ll need to take sleeping bag or liner or do all the bites supply sheets or blankets. I’ve walked the Camino Frances and Camino Portugues and in both occasions I hardly had to use my sleeping bag. It would be good if I didn’t have to take the extra weight and bulk of my sleeping bag liner this time. Thanks for any information.
I don't think that gites d'etape supply sheets (some blankets). They won't let you sleep directly on the mattress, so you need something. A heavy sleeping bag should not be necessary.

A sleeping bag liner is all you need. Communal gites only supply blankets, but most private gites will have fully made beds.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have read in a number of, possibly outdated, guidebooks, that the French are more reliable at providing sleeping bags than the Spanish. I'm planning my first Camino for this coming April, starting in Leon, so I would appreciate any advice about the availability of bedding on this last stage.
Thanks in advance
C

September on the Le Puy will be warm and occasionally hot. So a liner is plenty and you'll need to take one. Blankets are readily available if you ask.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have read in a number of, possibly outdated, guidebooks, that the French are more reliable at providing sleeping bags than the Spanish. I'm planning my first Camino for this coming April, starting in Leon, so I would appreciate any advice about the availability of bedding on this last stage.
Thanks in advance
C
Hey, Im starting as well from Leon in april!!!! hope to see you on the way

Thanks in advance
C
None of them provide sleeping bags. If you choose to stay in the more basic pilgrim dorms (i.e. "albergues") you should not expect bedding, except sometimes a bottom sheet. If you stay in private accommodation in a "hostal" (small hotel) - in a single or double room - they are very reliable at providing bedding. If you stay in private albergues, there can be anything from no bedding to full bedding, and the price might reflect it.

If you want flexibility, I'd suggest carrying a very light sleeping bag and/or liner, with layers of clothes that can be worn to bed if necessary.

The Le Puy route varies from year to year--two years ago there was a heat wave, last year was cooler in September. That being said, you probably won't need a sleeping bag until mid-October and then only in the higher altitudes like the Aubrac. Like others have said, bring a sleep sack or a sleeping bag liner and use the blankets that are available at most of the gîtes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’d play it safe and bring a light weight sleeping bag - they’re not bulky and you will probably use it more than once regardless of the weather. Better safe than sorry!

It depends on whether you are planning to continue to Santiago. September in France is usually mild, so liner is all that is needed. However, if continuing on, the weather in October on O'Cebreiro etc usually requires a sleeping bag.

It depends on whether you are planning to continue to Santiago. September in France is usually mild, so liner is all that is needed. However, if continuing on, the weather in October on O'Cebreiro etc usually requires a sleeping bag.
Though last September when I started, tge first ten days were freezing! I started around Sept 9 and it was a shock!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry. Help needed as I've read this but still don't know whether I need a bag or a sheet! I am starting out from Pamplona on 22 April, walking CF to Santiago with a small pack. Thanks

I think you need a sleeping bag. But then... I always take a (light) sleeping bag! I wouldn't go without.
Up to you....

I think you need a sleeping bag. But then... I always take a (light) sleeping bag! I wouldn't go without.
Up to you....
I will then but I travel light with my loaded 30 lltre pack weighing 5kilos so needed to be sure! Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Rossco!

I started in mid-August from Le Puy to SJPP. I carried a liner and was fine the entire way as most my chosen accomodations had blankets provided.

If I was walking in September, I would still take the liner, but also bring along warm sleeping clothes. Merino wool is very warm for the weight! You can also layer your rain jacket/poncho over top for some additional warmth in the albergues without blankets.

Hello Rossco!

I started in mid-August from Le Puy to SJPP. I carried a liner and was fine the entire way as most my chosen accomodations had blankets provided.

If I was walking in September, I would still take the liner, but also bring along warm sleeping clothes. Merino wool is very warm for the weight! You can also layer your rain jacket/poncho over top for some additional warmth in the albergues without blankets.
Thanks Sara

Hello Rossco!

I am walking May so do you think that is just a liner? I wonder if I need to treat it for bed bugs?? Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am walking May so do you think that is just a liner? I wonder if I need to treat it for bed bugs?? Thanks

Hi Tina!.

It will be chillier, so it depends on your sleeping comfort level if you are unable to get a blanket.
I would still walk without one on this camino.

I did not encounter any bed bugs last autumn.

Hello Rossco!

Thanks Sara. I’ve watched some of YouTube posts on the Le Puy. Very interesting.

Have only walked the CF so feel free to ignore this post. Also have only walked in spring and autumn.
I regard my ultralite sleeping bag as insurance and carry it happily. Of course I have real travel insurance but this is insurance about a) getting a good nights sleep in unheated albergues and b) in the unlikely event I do not get a bed or c) in the probably even more unlikely event that I get caught out on the path when the weather turns really really nasty. What is it they say about packing our fears? Or is it just a sensible precaution?
I have read that gites on the Le Puy generally provide bedding. Whatever you decide, you can buy sleeping bags along the way. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have only walked the CF so feel free to ignore this post. Also have only walked in spring and autumn.
I regard my ultralite sleeping bag as insurance and carry it happily. Of course I have real travel insurance but this is insurance about a) getting a good nights sleep in unheated albergues and b) in the unlikely event I do not get a bed or c) in the probably even more unlikely event that I get caught out on the path when the weather turns really really nasty. What is it they say about packing our fears? Or is it just a sensible precaution?
I have read that gites on the Le Puy generally provide bedding. Whatever you decide, you can buy sleeping bags along the way. ;)
Thanks Heda, Can you buy lightweight walking poles too? Flying with just hand luggage will not allow poles on aircraft...

Hi Tina!.

It will be chillier, so it depends on your sleeping comfort level if you are unable to get a blanket.
I would still walk without one on this camino.

I did not encounter any bed bugs last autumn.
Thanks!

Thanks Heda, Can you buy lightweight walking poles too? Flying with just hand luggage will not allow poles on aircraft...
Starting in Pamplona I would say definitely yes. The first place I would try is Caminoteca. It is a shop on the camino itself, shortly before you get to the cathedral. It is owned by someone who has walked the camino. Multiple languages spoken including English. Their website is:
https://www.caminoteca.com/en/content/183-our-shop
You can see what is available.
Buen camino, peregrina.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bought a set of trekking poles at the huge Decathlon store in central Lyon beside the big train station. Very handy to purchase them there if you are taking the train (or Blablacar ride share) from Lyon to Le Puy-en-Velay. Otherwise, you can get them in Le Puy also!

I was very happy with two of these poles:
https://www.decathlon.fr/baton-de-randonnee-for-500-vlt-id_8270740.html
I'm going to purchase the same model when I arrive in Seville tomorrow for the VDLP!

Starting in Pamplona I would say definitely yes. The first place I would try is Caminoteca. It is a shop on the camino itself, shortly before you get to the cathedral. It is owned by someone who has walked the camino. Multiple languages spoken including English. Their website is:
Buen camino, peregrina.
Thank you for this.

I bought a set of trekking poles at the huge Decathlon store in central Lyon beside the big train station. Very handy to purchase them there if you are taking the train (or Blablacar ride share) from Lyon to Le Puy-en-Velay. Otherwise, you can get them in Le Puy also!

I was very happy with two of these poles:
https://www.decathlon.fr/baton-de-randonnee-for-500-vlt-id_8270740.html
I'm going to purchase the same model when I arrive in Seville tomorrow for the VDLP!
Thank you and have a great VDLP trip! I am trying to locate a shop near Biarritz (where I fly in from London) but no luck yet

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi. Even if the poles are collapsed and in your pack? I've always taken my poles with me to quite a few countries, so far without problem though I know one can't fly from Santiago with poles in hand luggage. I also carried a sleeping bag with me my first two caminos and never used it. I've left it at home ever since, but maybe I was just lucky with the weather? This fall I'll carry a very light down blanket and a silk liner to walk mid-September to late November.
For sure you will have a great time sorting and resorting your gear...then resorting it yet again:) Part of the process!

From my experience....always bring a sleeping bag. It's a staple for pilgrimage, as you never know what is gonna happen during the Camino. It doesn't need to be a thick and heavy one, just a standard one from Decathlon will do.

€83,-
From my experience....always bring a sleeping bag. It's a staple for pilgrimage, as you never know what is gonna happen during the Camino. It doesn't need to be a thick and heavy one, just a standard one from Decathlon will do.
OK, thanks, and do you treat it with some bug proof spray? I was thinking that it would be easier to treat a cotton sleeping bag liner, than my lightweight silky/polyester bag!

OK, thanks, and do you treat it with some bug proof spray? I was thinking that it would be easier to treat a cotton sleeping bag liner, than my lightweight silky/polyester bag!

Some folks will spray with permethrin, but that is largely ineffective since it doesn't really repel bedbugs, but kills them after they have been exposed. The kill isn't immediate, so the bedbug can still survive long enough to bite and feed.

Deet has some repellent effect, but it is short acting (10-12 hours) requiring reapplication. It can also damage some synthetic fabrics and plastics. Deet is better at repelling mosquitoes than ticks.

What the research has demonstrated, though, was that the attraction of food and other pheromones will overcome the repellency of those pesticides. This means that if bed bugs are hungry they will cross surfaces treated with the pesticide to get to the food. :-O

I don't treat my stuff but have used a 'bed bug sheet' (sometimes). I honestly don't know if it works but ... we do pack our fears (in this case, I did! ;)). I didn't get bitten the year I used it but then neither was I the following year (when I didn't use it) ...
You're starting in Le Puy? There is a spray available in France called 'Clako', google it, I have never used it but I was told it was very good (by hospitaleros).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1erkfJads6V-w3zWi0Pj7OYj06ZODkIwaFBkqv_rC9UQ/htmlview

Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen camino, peregrina.
Thank you for this. However their website says they are closed on Sundays so hoping to find somewhere to buy poles on Sunday in Pamplona as I wonder where the next opportunity is?

Thank you for this. However their website says they are closed on Sundays so hoping to find somewhere to buy poles on Sunday in Pamplona as I wonder where the next opportunity is?
Sorry that was my sum and total knowledge of any hiking shops in Pamplona. Though I am wondering if Corte Inglés has treking poles? It’s a big department store. They would be open on Sundays (excluding siesta hours). I suspect they might have an outdoor section but they won’t be cheap. Hopefully someone who knows more than I do will chime in.

Sorry that was my sum and total knowledge of any hiking shops in Pamplona. Though I am wondering if Corte Inglés has treking poles? It’s a big department store. They would be open on Sundays (excluding siesta hours). I suspect they might have an outdoor section but they won’t be cheap. Hopefully someone who knows more than I do will chime in.
Thanks, very helpful. If not I will have to start without any...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, very helpful. If not I will have to start without any...
Coming down from Alto de Perdón on the first day’s walk from Pamplona was one of the places where I was grateful to have poles. If you can’t find poles in Pamplona - ask the staff where you are staying or ask the kind staff at the tourist office - then maybe buy one of the wooden pilgrim staffs that are sold in many locations? Still hoping someone who knows more than I do will post.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.