• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need a sleeping pad? (Frances )

PeregrinoDeNebraska

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
I will be starting in SJPP around May 8, so traffic will be quite high. 2 Questions I have:
1) Will I need to prepare to sleep on the ground at some point, or are there typically enough cots? I am deciding if I need to bring a sleeping pad.

2) I thought I might just bring a very light sleeping bag (or possibly just a liner!) and a pad as opposed to a heavier sleeping bag. What has worked best in your experience? What is the lightest way to go about this?

Thanks! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
PeregrinoDeNebraska said:
I will be starting in SJPP around May 8, so traffic will be quite high. 2 Questions I have:
1) Will I need to prepare to sleep on the ground at some point, or are there typically enough cots? I am deciding if I need to bring a sleeping pad.

2) I thought I might just bring a very light sleeping bag (or possibly just a liner!) and a pad as opposed to a heavier sleeping bag. What has worked best in your experience? What is the lightest way to go about this?

Thanks! :)

1) May is a borderline case for sleeping cases in my opinion ;-) All refuges are normally open and the full masses of July / August haven't arrived yet. There are also restrictions in place (fire and safety) how many pilgrims a refuge may accommodate, so place on the floor is restricted by this. It really depends, imho, if you would like to sleep outside some times (!snorers!), for example in a Church porch or similar and if you plan to make a siesta during the day. I would take in May a very light, fold-able sleeping pad. But I do like my siestas and also love to sleep occasionally, where possible, under the stars.

2. Definitively a sleeping bag and not a liner! It still can be cold at night in the mountains and meseta and the refuges have not much in terms of heating to speak of. And the blankets, let's just say there are very few and rarely washed ... Hope that helps, SY

1) May is a borderline case for sleeping cases in my opinion ;-) All refuges are normally open and the full masses of July / August haven't arrived yet. There are also restrictions in place (fire and safety) how many pilgrims a refuge may accommodate, so place on the floor is restricted by this. It really depends, imho, if you would like to sleep outside some times (!snorers!), for example in a Church porch or similar and if you plan to make a siesta during the day. I would take in May a very light, fold-able sleeping pad. But I do like my siestas and also love to sleep occasionally, where possible, under the stars.

2. Definitively a sleeping bag and not a liner! It still can be cold at night in the mountains and meseta and the refuges have not much in terms of heating to speak of. And the blankets, let's just say there are very few and rarely washed ... Hope that helps, SY
Your advice is MUCH appreciated!! I will look more thoroughly into sleeping bags...I was crossing my fingers that a liner would work, but there would be nothing worse not being able to sleep because I'm too cold! I plan to take some siestas and possibly sleep under the stars as well, so I will look into the foam fold-able pad.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. It's tough to pack when I have no clue what to expect! :)

Blessings,
Brittany

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One of the first items to be discarded at Albergues are sleeping mats. I would wait and see , most Albergues have a few mats when the the need arises.
As for a sleeping bag , take a light one and supplement it with warm clothing when needed.
Most Albergues also have blankets.
As for sleeping under the stars , you need to be more prepared , you will find out soon enough.

RENSHAW said:
One of the first items to be discarded at Albergues are sleeping mats. I would wait and see , most Albergues have a few mats when the the need arises.
As for a sleeping bag , take a light one and supplement it with warm clothing when needed.
Most Albergues also have blankets.
As for sleeping under the stars , you need to be more prepared , you will find out soon enough.
I would agree with Renshaw on this one except I would also bring a silk liner, if its warm use the liner, if its cold/cool use bag with or without liner. I never saw anyone on my camino actualy use their mat.
Buen Camino

I was crossing my fingers that a liner would work
It will!

The blankets are no dirtier than the mattress. I have yielded to the temptation to take a sleeping bag, and mailed it home twice. I do not think you will need it when starting in May. However, only you know how warm you want to be when you sleep. An albergue blanket has always been sufficient with my nylon sleep sack, but that is me.

I have never needed a sleeping mat, and have not carried one since my first camino. I picked up a fantastic, and expensive, Thermarest toward the end of one camino, and it has served me well for camping in the U.S.

If you get really unlucky on finding a bunk, borrow a sleeping mat from a fellow pilgrim. You will have plenty of camino friends who will be willing to help you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Started last camino in early May from SJPdP without a sleeping bag, only a silk liner and had no problem. On the rare cool nights I slept in my clothes. For me the added weight would not have been worth it. Worse case, if you feel that you just absolutely need it, you can pick up one in Pamplona or some other larger town along the way. My guess is that by the time you reach Pamplona you will be thinking about how to shed further weight, not add it.

RENSHAW said:
He he , Completed my first Camino Frances with a 2.5kg goose down Bag ..........never again.! :mrgreen:

2.5 kg! Was the down still attached to the goose?

I guess some Albergue don't allow pets in the dorm

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You all are so wonderful!! Thank you for the advice! This is the reason I'm excited to take this journey...to meet people like you all :D

So...I'm not sure what liners y'all have used or seen but the Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme Thermolite adds up to 25 degrees (Fahrenheit). I feel like that could be warm enough--if not pick up a bag in Pamplona. Is that what you would all suggest?

Not sure how people prepared for these trips before the modern convenience of the internet! :lol:

The Extreme Thermolite Reactor is designed to be used in conjunction with a sleeping bag, not on its own. Its value lies in its interaction with a sleeping bag; used on its own it won't keep you much warmer than any other bag liner. And even tho it's advertised to add 25* warmth, I've found through experience that it only adds about 10* to a sleeping bag. For these reasons this liner should be used in conjunction with a lightweight summer sleeping bag. I recommend a lightweight down bag because they're so compressible/packable, and very light weight for their warmth. Finding a lightweight down "quilt" will allow you the most versatility because you can use it as either a bag or as an open blanket. Try Thermarest, or google "lightweight down quilt". Hope this helps!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.