• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need a splitter?

psychoticparrot

psychoticparrot
Time of past OR future Camino
April, May (2017)
My husband seems to have the idea in his head that the Camino, like the Appalachian Trail, runs through vast and potentially dangerous wilderness areas. A few weeks ago, he bought some gadget that makes sparks when struck to start a fire if we get caught out in a snowstorm in the Pyrenees. The thing weighs 8 ounces (226g)! I told him I was not taking it along as the risk of dying of hypothermia in the Pyrenees is very small if one checks forecasts and avoids severe weather, a very simple and common-sense thing to do. (We plan to go in April and May 2017 -- not the dead of winter.)

Today, he handed me his newest acquisition, a power cord splitter that weighs 7 ounces (198g) -- ouch! For those who, like me, never heard of such a thing before, a splitter allows two electronic devices to be charged on one electric outlet. He's quite sure it's necessary. I'm not so sure. I'll be taking my Kindle and cell phone, neither of which needs to be charged every night.

So my question is -- is this something that might actually be useful? How plentiful are power outlets in the albergues and other accommodations? If there are fewer than one per bed, and my phone needs to be charged, the splitter would allow me to share an outlet with a fellow pilgrim, should he or she need it too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My husband seems to have the idea in his head that the Camino, like the Appalachian Trail, runs through vast and potentially dangerous wilderness areas. A few weeks ago, he bought some gadget that makes sparks when struck to start a fire if we get caught out in a snowstorm in the Pyrenees. The thing weighs 8 ounces (226g)! I told him I was not taking it along as the risk of dying of hypothermia in the Pyrenees is very small if one checks forecasts and avoids severe weather, a very simple and common-sense thing to do. (We plan to go in April and May 2017 -- not the dead of winter.)

Today, he handed me his newest acquisition, a power cord splitter that weighs 7 ounces (198g) -- ouch! For those who, like me, never heard of such a thing before, a splitter allows two electronic devices to be charged on one electric outlet. He's quite sure it's necessary. I'm not so sure. I'll be taking my Kindle and cell phone, neither of which needs to be charged every night.

So my question is -- is this something that might actually be useful? How plentiful are power outlets in the albergues and other accommodations? If there are fewer than one per bed, and my phone needs to be charged, the splitter would allow me to share an outlet with a fellow pilgrim, should he or she need it too.
Hi, as Scott already stated a splitter will be handy. I have a splitter where you can charge 4 items with.
A lot of pilgrims where happy that I used this.
Wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Whatever about the splitter, leave the spark making device at home. The Spanish have really strict laws about lighting ANY type of fire off your own property - be warned. When traversing the Pyrenees, at the most difficult points there are numbered posts every 50 metres or so. If you get into difficulty call 112 tell the emergency services your nearest post number and they'll come and get you.:)

A multi-port USB charger is actually quite useful. Sockets can be at a premium, so being able to charge multiple items simultaneously is nice, especially if you can get someone to let you take the one they've been using to charge a single device and then let them piggyback on your charger. No impact to them, and you can charge yours.

7 oz seems overkill. I took a 3 oz, four-port charger (and was very popular).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have my phone and my iPad with me. I gave no splitter. I gave had no problems keeping both charged.

I love your husband.
He sounds fun and makes me chuckle.
He likes gadgets.
Mostly gadgets he won't need. :p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm glad i have my dual usb port. It weighs the same as my phone charger head. Sockets have been precious in most of the albergues where I've stayed so far.

Plus one for the splitter - cost you about €1 in a "100 Peseta" store - if Rambo is even thinking about making fire in the mountains get him to look at current newsreel from Alberta.

Canada, my heart goes out to you xx

My rule: carry one "extra" thing that makes you particularly happy or comfortable -but just one. It may be a book a hair dryer, a tea pot, or whatever you like.
And yes, the Camino is not really a walk in the wilderness, and in late April there will be already many, many people, even in the SJPP-Roncesvalles stage. Anyway, if there is a chance of really bad weather, the Napoleon route will be closed -the Pilgrim's Bureau is not currently taking any risk.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Because plugs for European outlets are not sold redily in your local convient store? I'm a cheap poop but perhaps I need to update my electronics.

I'm glad i have my dual usb port. It weighs the same as my phone charger head. Sockets have been precious in most of the albergues where I've stayed so far.
I picked up one of these in the airport terminal from a vending machine. Electronics are amazingly cheap in Spain at least compared to Australia. That spare USB port does make you friends :) The splitter sounds ridiculously heavy. If he must bring an extra gadget, bring a small external battery as phones always die just before you get to the next albergue.

Thanks to all for your replies. My husband has already dumped the splitter and the fire-starter, so he's getting the message, slowly. Told him about the dual USB charger with a European plug.

Thanks, Anenome, for the link. The charger is already in my cart ready to buy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
See, even a Neanderthal can be trained...I know because it is only recently that I learned to walk upright myself..;).

Personally, I am a gadget freak. But, over four Caminos, I LEARNED, evolved, and finally got it right, almost perfect in fact.

THEN on my fourth attempt this year, in April, my hips, knees and ankles all gave out...ironic...no?:eek:

So, I am regrouping, reevaluating, and reinventing a new method to do Camino in future. I will adapt and overcome!

You can find multi-USB splitters in most any mobile phone shop in Europe. But, once in Spain, look for "China Stores." The first one I encountered on my initial Camino Frances was in Pamplona. But they are in most every large town or city along the Camino. In Sarria, there is a very large one across the street from the Caminoteca shop, at the base of the LONG stairs. If you've been there, or are there you will KNOW what I am referring to.

These shops are frequently named something like "Oriental Bazaar," "Asian Bazaar," or something similar. But they ALL are usually run by Chinese immigrants to Spain and contain everything imaginable, all made in China. But, many of the electronics are very inexpensive and suitable to purpose. I always find my 1 to 3 outlet splitters there, lightweight and usually for less than €2.

Also, you can find all sorts of USB cables and chargers there. However, I always advise sticking to proprietary chargers and cables (like Apple or Samsung), or sourced from known multi-national vendors, like: Belkin, Griffin, or Hama, etc. There are many reports of fried mobile devices and even fires caused by inexpensive chargers and cables. So, it is caveat emptor. I have written about this elsewhere on the forum.

FYI, there is a El Corte Ingles department store in Pamplona, near the bus station, that sells name-branded electronic accessories, including Apple. They also have a general electronics department for plug splitters.

Otherwise, the China Stores can provide an almost endless profusion of clever gadgets you never knew existed or could not live without. On my first trip, I bought a dozen micro-fleece tubes that could be worn as a neck protector, balaclava, or a watch cap to give away to pilgrims who needed better head protection. There was a very late winter in April 2013. They cost only €1,20 each at the time. It was a good investment, and good karma too.

I hope this helps.

... A few weeks ago, he bought some gadget that makes sparks when struck to start a fire if we get caught out in a snowstorm in the Pyrenees. The thing weighs 8 ounces (226g)! ... a power cord splitter that weighs 7 ounces (198g) -- ouch! ... I'll be taking my Kindle and cell phone, neither of which needs to be charged every night. ...

Leave both at home would be my simple advice. If you are "caught out in a snowstorm in the Pyrenees" just having "sparks" is not enough to get a fire going, you will need also a sheltered place, dry material to start the fire etc. As for the splitter, a Kindle battery lasts very long, so you will only need to charge your phone regularly and the Kindle only very occasionally. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.