• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need an special adapter to charge my iPhone?

Diegomartine

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 1st. (2014)
Hi guys!

Do I need an special adapter to charge my iPhone on the camino?

Or I can use the default charger?

Thansk!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,677
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I believe the iPhone charger is the right voltage so you don't need a converter...all you should need is an adapter. Of course if I am wrong, one of the camino pros (I am a camino newbie) will lead you in the proper direction.

Check the voltage.
If it is 110 volts you'll need a converter (from 220 volts to 110 volts) and probably also and adapter. If it is 220 volts you'll need only an adapter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
miamijhp said:
Check the voltage.
If it is 110 volts you'll need a converter (from 220 volts to 110 volts) and probably also and adapter. If it is 220 volts you'll need only an adapter.

Do you know how the adapter looks like and where can I buy it?

Thanks!

Diegomartine said:
miamijhp said:
Check the voltage.

Do you know how the adapter looks like and where can I buy it?

Thanks!
Hi...
You'll need an adapter and converter if your phone is US. Go to Best Buy, an electronics store or a travel store. They can show you which one is good for Spain. It will also work in France if you start out from SJPP. I actually left the adapter part in an albergue and had to buy another in one of the larger {towns in Spain. Get one where the converter and adapter is in one device. My first one wasn't and that's how I accidentally left the adapter in the recessed socket.:(. Make sure you keep an eye on your phone while charging it or it may get stolen. Just saying...be cognoscent of your important items. Most all of the pilgrims are honest, but don't assume that all are.
Buen Camino! It is an amazing adventure!!!
Bozzie
(Dee Anne)

One last word on the subject, there are few electrical outlets in most albergues so the need for electricity far exceeds the capacity. As long as you are going to Best Buy get electrical socket expander, you know a small square=ish bit of plastic that plugs into a one outrlet and turns it into 4. You will be showing courtesy to other pilgrims and since its yuours you are first in line!
0_1343095251988_l.png

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
1. Adapter - Yes, they are cheap (less then $10) and can be purchased at most electronics stores. For Continental Europe (most of it anyway, definitely Spain and France), something like this is what you need:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 5a4cfeen02

For the record, the UK actually has a different plug.

2. Converter - Absolutely not. They are heavy, expensive and most importantly, completely unnecessary. Virtually all modern electronic devices like cell phones, camera batteries and such are dual-voltage. I can guarantee the iPhone is, spent seven weeks in Europe last summer.

Thengel1 said:
1. Adapter - Yes, they are cheap (less then $10) and can be purchased at most electronics stores. For Continental Europe (most of it anyway, definitely Spain and France), something like this is what you need:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 5a4cfeen02

For the record, the UK actually has a different plug.

2. Converter - Absolutely not. They are heavy, expensive and most importantly, completely unnecessary. Virtually all modern electronic devices like cell phones, camera batteries and such are dual-voltage. I can guarantee the iPhone is, spent seven weeks in Europe last summer.
You are correct Thengel, an adapter but not a converter.
And that adapter looks spot on diegomartine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi DiegoMartine,
You can also go to the Apple store and buy an International Travel Kit (or online: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB974 ... dapter-kit) , which comes with different plugs for travel to different countries. We live in Spain and have various Apple products, and the Europe plugs work fantastically here. It's about $39, though, which may not be worth it for you. But if you plan to take your IPhone on future travels, we believe it's a very good investment.

Your charger is 110/220v, so no transformer is required (it steps it down to USB level DC power anyway). I lost my plug adapter, and went to two hardware stores and a cell phone store, and did not find a new one. I finally found one in a "China store", the term for the stores that sell everything made in China. It was about 1E.

The important thing Diego is to make sure that they adapter has the round pins aqs per the illustrations kindly provided by some and NOt the flat pin one you showed.
allan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here is my adaptor...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361112366.790075.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361112366.790075.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,344

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.