• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Do I need both Proof of Vaccination AND a Negative Test for bus from Pamplona to SJPP

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumbolover

Time of past OR future Camino
HI all. New to this forum. :) I start my Camino SF this Sunday. I am so excited but not looking forward to my flight during Covid.

I will be taking train from Madrid Airport and a bus the SJPP. Do I need both Proof of Vaccination AND a Negative Test (or will just Vaccination do) to board the bus from Pamplona to SJPP. The way I read the rules, it looks like I will just need Proof of Vaccination, but just double checking from People who may be on the ground hiking now and traveled similar route.

Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Where are you from first of all? France has a new health pass now, not sure if that will trouble you on the bus or while in SJPP. Maybe consider starting in Ronesvalles and avoid France altogether. Just a thought.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You may wish to use the bus to travel from Madrid airport to Pamplona: it leaves from outside terminal four and with a change at Zaragoza arrives in Pamplona bus station. I downloaded the Alsa app to my phone and when i was safely landed and through customs i bought a ticket online then showed my phone to the driver and that was all ok. This means you avoid the need to go into central Madrid. The times may not work for you but they worked for me. I spent the night in the Pamplona muni and started the next morning.

And as i understand it there are no land travel restrictions inside the Schengen area, only for flights.

CDC issued a warning about travel to France 10/8/21.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is a really important question and I too, would value some thoughts from those who have been in a similar situation.
I hope mmmmarrtin is right but can we be sure?
I am travelling from southern Spain by plane to Pamplona (29th September) and then getting a lift from there to SJDP. I have been told conflicting views on what I need, even for an internal flight.
Is proof of double vaccination enough?

please help! Any advice would be very welcome.

many thanks,

France has the new pass sanitaire. This will apply to SJPP and the restaurants and albergues there. You must be either vaccinated or have a negative test valid for 72 hours - otherwise no service. I don't know exactly how you can come by the pass sanitaire but it might be a good suggestion to not go to France and start in Roncesvalles.

Buen Camino!
Volker

France has the new pass sanitaire. This will apply to SJPP and the restaurants and albergues there. You must be either vaccinated or have a negative test valid for 72 hours - otherwise no service. I don't know exactly how you can come by the pass sanitaire but it might a good suggestion to not go to France and start in Roncesvalles.

Buen Camino!
Volker
Thanks Volker,
I was double vaccinated in Spain a d have the certificate to prove this. My question is, will this suffice? Surely I don’t need a further negative test valid within 72 hours as well as my vaccination certificate?
I really want to start At SJDP.
Thanks in advance,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Volker,
I was double vaccinated in Spain a d have the certificate to prove this. My question is, will this suffice? Surely I don’t need a further negative test valid within 72 hours as well as my vaccination certificate?
I really want to start At SJDP.
Thanks in advance,
Yes, double vaccination is sufficient, you don't need a test. But you need to apply for the new "pass sanitaire" in France.
On this page you can find more information on how to apply for the pass.
From reading about the pass sanitaire I get the impression that this is quite a strong restriction now in France. Personally, I wouldn't bother with that pass and start in RV. But I know that the Pyrenees route is something many people consider as a "must do". That was the same for me in 2015. :)

Best wishes,
Volker

How to apply for French Health Pass in this thread: ‘Health Pass ( QR Code) update for Americans from Le Puy’

Sorry, tried to put link but it didn’t work - maybe someone else can do…

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, double vaccination is sufficient, you don't need a test. But you need to apply for the new "pass sanitaire" in France.
On this page you can find more information on how to apply for the pass.
From reading about the pass sanitaire I get the impression that this is quite a strong restriction now in France. Personally, I wouldn't bother with that pass and start in RV. But I know that the Pyrenees route is something many people consider as a "must do". That was the same for me in 2015. :)

Best wishes,
Volker
Really appreciate your help with this Volker. You’re a star! Thank you.

One more suggestion, if you paid to have travel insurance coverage I would check to see if you are covered after the CDC directive

One more suggestion, if you paid to have travel insurance coverage I would check to see if you are covered after the CDC directive
Brilliant! I do have travel insurance coverage so will ask.
Forgive my utter ignorance, but can you please tell me what the CDC Directive is? It’s clearly something else I need to be aware of in this nightmare situation. thank you, in advance.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was double vaccinated in Spain a d have the certificate to prove this. My question is, will this suffice?
Hi @Luap, yes, it is sufficient.
  • Holders of an EU Digital Covid Certificate (vaccination) are allowed to enter France, without being subject to further restrictions (testing or quarantine). (from Re-open Europe but you find the same on the gouv.fr websites if you search long enough).
The same applies in the other direction from France to Spain.

There are no border or health controls in either direction but it is always good to comply with the rules and you do.

Since you live in Spain and were vaccinated in Spain and you hold an EU DCC, you don't have to fuss around much to get the French health pass / pass sanitaire. Just do this: Download the TousAntiCovid app. Scan the QR code from your EU DCC into it. Done. It's a question of minutes and works just fine. I've done it myself.

One word of advice: During the last update of TousAntiCovid, my EU DCCs were wiped out but I could scan them back in without a problem. It's good to have a printout of your EU DCC QR code for such an eventuality.

I am not sure that the USA's CDC travel warnings apply to your situation as you live in Spain/EU.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
I am Canadian due to leave for Spain in two weeks, having difficulty finding travel insurance to cover a trip because of the covid situation.

Yes, it will be sufficient.
  • Holders of a EU Digital Covid Certificate (vaccination) are allowed to enter France, without being subject to further restrictions (testing or quarantine). (from Re-open Europe but you find the same on the gouv.fr websites if you search long enough).
The same applies in the other direction from France to Spain.

There are no border or health controls in either direction but it is always good to comply with the rules and you do.

Since you were vaccinated in Spain and you hold a EU DCC, you don't have to fuss around much to get the French health pass / pass sanitaire. Just do this: Download the TousAntiCovid app. Scan the QR code from your EU DCC into it. Done. It's a question of minutes and works just fine. I've done it myself.

One word of advice: During the last update of TousAntiCovid, the EU DCC were wiped out but I could scan them back in without a problem. But it's good to have a printout of the EU DCC QR code for such an eventuality.

Buen camino!
Dear Katherina,
You really have taken a huge weight from me, thank you!
This is clear and simple. I’m so grateful for your time. I shall do this right now a d look forward to starting on 29th September. Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi All
The EU is operating an official website for how to travel within the EU.
It is updated and allows to choose differnt transit options

All the best

i just flew from JFK to Frankfort/Brussels. I needed my passport and vaccination card. The only glitch was that the airlines would not let me wear my own face mask and insisted I wear the paper surgical one instead. Rebel that I am, I wore the paper one UNDER my own face mask. I’m not sure how different the rules are from France and Spain. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am Canadian due to leave for Spain in two weeks, having difficulty finding travel insurance to cover a trip because of the covid situation.

Only thing they don't cover is the quarantine-related interruption expenses if the travel is less than 31 days...

God Bless!

Last edited:
What insurance you can buy may depend on what province you live in. As I live in Alberta, I can get AMA. that is, Alberta Motor Association travel insurance. I have just bought my sixth insurance from them for my camino this fall. The cost depends on your age, your medical history, how long you will be away, and possibly other considerations that I am not aware of. You might inquire about insurance with an automobile association in your own province. Good luck. I wouldn't want to travel without it.

i just flew from JFK to Frankfort/Brussels. I needed my passport and vaccination card. The only glitch was that the airlines would not let me wear my own face mask and insisted I wear the paper surgical one instead. Rebel that I am, I wore the paper one UNDER my own face mask. I’m not sure how different the rules are from France and Spain. Buen Camino!
Hello! I will fly from Los Angeles through Frankfort on my way to Porto in a couple of weeks. The airline website made is sound like you needed either a PCR test 72 hours before arrival in Germany or a Rapid test 48 hours before. Did you need a test or was your vaccine card enough? Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Watching. I found the German website unclear about transmitting. I will have my Spanish QR code, will that be the EU pass I need?

Watching. I found the German website unclear about transmitting. I will have my Spanish QR code, will that be the EU pass I need?
No. In France you need their Pass Sanitaire to enter restaurants, bars, public transportation, etc.

Just curious: Was the airline mask an N95 or a simple surgical mask? Did their website warn passengers that they had some restriction on the type of mask travelers wear?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just curious: Was the airline mask an N95 or a simple surgical mask? Did their website warn passengers that they had some restriction on the type of mask travelers wear?
The airlines sent me to the newsstand at the airport to pick up a pack of those blue paper masks everyone is wearing - 3 for $10. I got it, wore it UNDER my homemade mask, and everyone is happy. The airlines (Lufthansa) needed everyone to wear that paper mask. Some on board had the more serious looking one with the nozzle (!) for breathing, but I just have the cheap paper one. When I actually boarded the plane, the flight attendant said I couldn’t get on without the paper mask, I showed here the paper one under my homemade one, she was cool with it. This was the most difficult part of the trip, in relation to COVID restrictions (I’ve been fully vaccinated since March).

Hello! I will fly from Los Angeles through Frankfort on my way to Porto in a couple of weeks. The airline website made is sound like you needed either a PCR test 72 hours before arrival in Germany or a Rapid test 48 hours before. Did you need a test or was your vaccine card enough? Thanks.
For me, coming from HNL to JFK, all I needed was my passport and vaccination card. I think they might have scanned my temp at the desk where you drop off your bag. I would not have been able to get a COVID test in time, since I had just arrived in JFK earlier that morning from non-stop Honolulu. My flight was HNL to JFK, JFK to FRA, FRA to BRU (50 minute hop).
I hope this helps. The information and requirements seem to change day to day. I’m flying back from BRU to EWR in about a week and a half - I hope the requirements stay the same because I don’t know how I would get a test here.

Watching. I found the German website unclear about [transitting]. I will have my Spanish QR code, will that be the EU pass I need?
The Spanish SpTH QR code is of no use outside of Spain. It is not an EU pass. If you travel from the USA and have been fully vaccinated you will just need your American proof of vaccination to fly from the USA to Frankfurt where you change planes for Spain. See https://de.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ and German government websites (15 August 2021)

This is a really important question and I too, would value some thoughts from those who have been in a similar situation.
I hope mmmmarrtin is right but can we be sure?
I am travelling from southern Spain by plane to Pamplona (29th September) and then getting a lift from there to SJDP. I have been told conflicting views on what I need, even for an internal flight.
Is proof of double vaccination enough?

please help! Any advice would be very welcome.

many thanks,
For what it's worth, I flew to Madrid then to Pamplona to take the bus to SJPP on July 12. No one at the bus station seemed interested in checking my vacc status at all. The bus dropped me off in a parking lot in SJPP, I went to the Pilgrim Office then found an albergue down the street. The lady at the albergue asked but did not need to see my QR or vacc certificate. The problem is it can all change day to day! My advice is to get tested the day before you leave so you will be able to travel without worrying!

How long has it been taking to receive the French Health Pass? I submitted the requested documents early Friday AM and have heard nothing but an automatic response saying that they have received my submission. I fly to France on Tuesday and am hoping to have the Health Pass before then.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back