• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need gloves if I am using a Trekking Pole

Bandit33579

Time of past OR future Camino
Should Trekkers that use Trekking Poles wear gloves to avoid Blistering or rashes caused by gripping the Poles? I was thinking it similar to holding a golf club and have experienced blisters and skin tears due to a tight grip and excessive sweating of the hands. What do you say?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use gloves only to keep my hands warm. Most people don't wear gloves, although I have seen a few who wear them as protection from the sun. I would say that you should not be gripping the pole(s) hard enough to cause problems. However, it is certainly possible that a few people might need to wear gloves to avoid skin problems.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use gloves. To stop sun burn on my hands...
And as stated, you don't grip the poles at all. You barely hold them. The weight is on the straps with a very light touch by the fingers merely to guide them.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The problem with putting your hands through the straps is, if you trip, as my wife did, you cannot easily get your hands out in front of you to stop a painful connection with the ground , as my wife did ! One badlly bruised shoulder resulted.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Considering the time I walked (early April) I felt that it was necessary to bring some gloves. This ended up being a good thing as it was rainy/cold/snowy. I used my gloves (really glove liners) every day for most of my Camino. During the last couple of days I switched to my “sun gloves” as it had warmed up a bit. My poles have rubber grips which I thought could lead to roughed up hands after daily use. “Mother says you can always tell a lady by her hands.” ;)

I have since bought a new pair of poles with cork grips to see if I like them better.

As always, YMMV, hike your own hike and Buen Camino!

I use Pacer Poles and I always use cyling gloves / mitts. They cover the top of my hand, but there is nothing on the palm of the hand. With Pacer Poles I feel there is a need to protect from the sun - hence my use of the "gloves". I bought these from the anti cancer store in Australia.

Interestingly, I am often told "the sun is not as hot in Europe". I am currently coming into the final month of a four month journey on the Via Romea Germanica. I have worn the same long sleeved shirt (to protect from sun) every walking day of that journey. It has a UPF number (ex Officio), but now it is not a uniform colour - it is striped. The sun has faded, markedly, the area exposed all day, but the parts hidden by my back pack, the straps etc remain the original colour. Added to that, I hug the shade when walking ad use my hands free solar umbrella. Doing that to my shirt, imagine what damage the sun does to the skin! As my shirt has faded, I have got into the habit of putting sunblock on underneath it each morning as an added precaution.

I wear ankle foot orthotics for foot drop (both sides), and tripped or stumbled several times a day. However, using the poles, and the straps, prevented me from falling. Here's a good video about using the straps properly:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's a valid thought. I think a couple things make it a bit different than a golf club. Definately using the straps allows you to loosen your grip at times. Also you don't need as firm a grip as with a golf club except when truly relying on them to support your weight i.e. when on steep hills. Also, mostly the precise grip doesn't matter, so I vary my grip a lot. Sometimes I have my thumb on top, sometimes i have my whole palm on top, sometimes I hold the shaft, sometimes I'm barely gripping and just using the strap to swing them thru.

I use Nordic Walking poles and yes always with gloves

leki-nordic-walking-pole-handle.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wear microfiber fishing gloves when using my poles in sunny weather. They serve two purposes:

1. The gloves are rated at SPF 50. This protects my exposed hands and wrists from age spots and excess sunburn.

2. In warmer weather, my hands perspire. The microfiber gloves have grippy dots in the palms to help hold on to the poles. In addition, the microfiber material allows the sweat to evaporate.

It is true that they will also protect against blisters. But I view this as an intangible. If you are using the poles correctly, blisters should not occur.

In the past, I have obtained these gloves at online fishing retailers, like Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas. However, Outdoors Research also sells a full line of sun protective gloves. Check here:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/gear-and-accessories/gloves-and-mittens/sun-sleeves-and-gloves/activeice-spectrum-sun-gloves/p/2501520740007?origin=Sun Sleeves & Gloves | Lightweight UV Protection | Outdoor Research

or

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/gear-and-accessories/gloves-and-mittens/sun-sleeves-and-gloves/activeice-spectrum-sun-gloves/p/2501520740007?origin=Sun Sleeves & Gloves | Lightweight UV Protection | Outdoor Research

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Straps have been shown to increase the odds of serious injuries to the hands, wrists and arms when used with poles. I have provided first aid to more than one person who had a pole get wedged into a hole or between rocks and suffer injury when their hand was trapped by the straps. When used properly, straps do not make the trekking pole any more or less efficient to use. In fact, it is far more efficient to not have them when trying to get to water bottles, snacks, camera, etc from a pack while walking. It is also allow me to quickly transition from using my Leki poles, to not using them when I get to short sections where I don't want to use them. Heck, anytime you need your hands free, like for a quick 'nature break'. :)

A few years ago when Leki had me test a new model of pole, they had indicated that they were working on a quick release mechanism for the straps because of the injury issue. As far as I know, they still have not been able to solve the issue of the needed force to trigger a release because of the way people have been told to use the straps with the poles; it could cause undesired releases.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Should Trekkers that use Trekking Poles wear gloves to avoid Blistering or rashes caused by gripping the Poles? I was thinking it similar to holding a golf club and have experienced blisters and skin tears due to a tight grip and excessive sweating of the hands. What do you say?
I work fingerless trekking gloves every day with my poles, my husband did not. I guess it depends on your hands and how you grip.

I wore gloves for two reasons- sun protection and sweaty hands. I found in my first few days as the hours wore on my hands sweat and so I bought a pair of bicycling gloves and found it more comfortable. Some poke grips may Not cause this issue. But my hands did not burn.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Straps have been shown to increase the odds of serious injuries to the hands, wrists and arms when used with poles. I have provided first aid to more than one person who had a pole get wedged into a hole or between rocks and suffer injury when their hand was trapped by the straps. When used properly, straps do not make the trekking pole any more or less efficient to use. In fact, it is far more efficient to not have them when trying to get to water bottles, snacks, camera, etc from a pack while walking. It is also allow me to quickly transition from using my Leki poles, to not using them when I get to short sections where I don't want to use them. Heck, anytime you need your hands free, like for a quick 'nature break'. :)

A few years ago when Leki had me test a new model of pole, they had indicated that they were working on a quick release mechanism for the straps because of the injury issue. As far as I know, they still have not been able to solve the issue of the needed force to trigger a release because of the way people have been told to use the straps with the poles; it could cause undesired releases.

Interesting Dave. I have not tried Leki poles.

Perhaps they have very different handles?

For most poles, not using the straps would be very uncomfortable and tiring I imagine. I have to say that if mine did not have straps I wouldn't bother using them. They are an essential part of the 'system' surely? They take all the weight.

I can't imagine using poles without straps. It would be a totally different technique and feel.

Interesting Dave. I have not tried Leki poles.

Perhaps they have very different handles?

For most poles, not using the straps would be very uncomfortable and tiring I imagine. I have to say that if mine did not have straps I wouldn't bother using them. They are an essential part of the 'system' surely? They take all the weight.

I can't imagine using poles without straps. It would be a totally different technique and feel.

Leki poles are a traditional pole, no different from most others. Actually the technique is the same without the straps. The leverage and unweighting come from the hands to pole through the grip. The straps should have little to do in that regard. :)

We must use poles in a very different way. My hands barely touch the grips/handles. Just a very light touch with a couple of fingers to guide them ( the poles). All the weight is on the strap. In fact it is really only the middle finger that touches the pole handle.

Without the straps, i would actually have to 'grip' the pole/handle. Using the straps, the pole handles/grips are 'almost' not required.

Maybe I'm using them incorrectly, but it works well for me, and i use them up, down and on the flat, all the way.

Last edited:
Leki poles are a traditional pole, no different from most others. Actually the technique is the same without the straps. The leverage and unweighting come from the hands to pole through the grip. The straps should have little to do in that regard. :)
I don't use the straps on mine really either, and the by-product bonus is my fingers and hands dont get swollen.

Just an observation from some of the posts... If you are not using the straps, and not holding the poles firmly (not a death grip mind you) then you cannot realize the up to 25% weight transfer from your back and shoulders to the poles.

I do not profess to fully comprehend the bio-mechanics involved in this minor-miracle. But I can tell you from extensive experience that it DOES WORK. Using two poles in a smooth walking motion reduces stress and strain on my back, shoulders and hips.

When you bear down on the poles when moving forward, or descending a slope, significant weight is transferred to the poles. You can see this in the very slight warping or bowing of the poles under pressure / weight as you bear down.

There are a multitude of videos on You Tube that will show this benefit. Simply search on "How to use hiking poles."

Hope this helps.

The problem with putting your hands through the straps is, if you trip, as my wife did, you cannot easily get your hands out in front of you to stop a painful connection with the ground , as my wife did ! One badlly bruised shoulder resulted.

Put hand upwards through loop and then grip the handle, to avoid bruising and breaking of hands.

If you merely take hand through loops horizontally and take the poles, you will jeopardize your wrists for sure when and if falling. You will not be able to let go of the poles before hitting the ground w/ y hands..

try out both....

this procedure is stressed upon when teaching skiers...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Prior to my first Camino in 2015 I learned that if you're gripping trekking poles so tightly that you blister, you're holding them incorrectly. I loosened my grip and relied on the straps instead to bear the pressure. That made a huge difference. I will wear gloves when I walk next March and April, but that will be for warmth, not protection from blisters.

I use gloves w no fingers like the ones used for bicycles.

I started using poles when I was on a 10-day walk in Japan. After one day I started getting blisters so I bought a pair of cycle gloves and have never had any more problems. They also provide some sun protection too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wear the same fingerless padded gloves I use for cycling when at home. I wear gloves both for the sun protection and any chafing from the poles.
I grip my poles fairly firmly and I put enough pressure on them that my carbon fibre poles bow slightly as I load them up.
If I want to make time on a trail, I actually use a double pole plant, load the poles and then a couple of steps up to the poles. Might sound awkward, but if done correctly, you can maintain a fast pace for hours with little fatigue.
It is kind of like cross country skiiing, without the skii's!

I use gloves only to keep my hands warm. Most people don't wear gloves, although I have seen a few who wear them as protection from the sun. I would say that you should not be gripping the pole(s) hard enough to cause problems. However, it is certainly possible that a few people might need to wear gloves to avoid skin problems.

I have never used gloves, I like the shape and feel of cork handles of my Leki poles. Maybe the type of handle on the pole would influence whether gloves are needed.

Do I need to wear socks if I wear shoes?
C’est comme vous voudrez!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had never thought about using gloves until I started getting blisters or calluses in the webbing between my thumb and forefinger when using my poles. Since I work out and lift weights, I acquired a pair of padded fingerless gloves and thought I would try them out with my poles. The gloves worked brilliantly. They have now become a regular piece of my hiking gear.

Have cork handles and don't wear gloves. No blisters, no sweating.

I have never used gloves, I like the shape and feel of cork handles of my Leki poles. Maybe the type of handle on the pole would influence whether gloves are needed.

I think it maybe more of a personal need and preference :) For example, I use Leki poles with cork handles, too. And while I can use the handles without my lightweight, finger-tipless gloves, I prefer the gloves. I do think that the handles on the Leki are very comfortable, though, and can understand why someone would be just fine without using gloves. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hike the Grand Canyon often and always use bicycle rider gloves (no fingers) with my Black Diamond hiking poles because I get blisters otherwise. I also appreciate the sun protection.

I usually wore gloves to keep my hands warm in the mornings with my poles but no issues with blisters etc... Just very tanned hands despite coating them in sunscreen!

I usually go on the Camino at off times so I always wear gloves..mornings for sure are cold. I also sweat easily. I do not use the straps of the poles and have found my hands occasionally getting tender without the gloves. So yes, I find gloves helpful. I bring two pair..one lite and another a bit heavier for really cold weather.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm glad that I have "idiot proof" Pacer Poles, and don't have to think about straps or gripping too little or too much. :)

I wish I'd had waterproof gloves in the rain. The poles get very drippy as well as my hands outside the poncho.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I only tend to wear gloves when it is cold or wet when I am walking, so most of the time I just have my bare hands on the poles. I have had problems with sweaty hands when it has been warm but it hasn't occurred to me to wear gloves when this happens, as I just expect my hands would get hotter and more sweaty and that this would be a different sort of uncomfortable. Having said that, I do remember little calluses appearing on my hands at one point on the Camino from the poles, but most of the time this doesn't happen.

A cycling glove. It has padding between your hand and the pole. It will wick perspiration. It doesn’t get hot. It gives UV protection. If you fall, you don’t skin your hand.

A cycling glove. It has padding between your hand and the pole. It will wick perspiration. It doesn’t get hot. It gives UV protection. If you fall, you don’t skin your hand.

I have used cycling (fingerless) gloves with my poles on all five of my Camino walks. They work very well. On cooler days I use light ski gloves.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wish I'd had waterproof gloves in the rain. The poles get very drippy as well as my hands outside the poncho.

I never wear gloves while using poles, unless it is raining. I used to have poles with cork handles, though, and they did get kind of yucky-sticky in the heat, but not any worse in the rain. But when it rains, I use gloves. I have walked with some waterproof gloves, but for the last decade or so have used lambswool gloves — at the suggestion of a Scottish pilgrim. I was skeptical, but I would now never go back to any synthetic material. Though the wool is not waterproof, obviously, it provides warmth that the synthetics do not, and believe me if you walk for 6-8 hours in a cold Galician rain, you will be grateful for the warmth.

I always take gloves, and use them when it is chilly regardless of whether I use poles (I always use poles, though). In the rainy season I take neoprene, but they are very hot in summer, but warm in winter. Wet gloves transmit cold, so they can start warm and end the day with your hands freezing. Glove liners work well in the summer on cool mornings; if they get wet, they dry quickly.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.