• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need my passport?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I was out walking today... thinking about my pack and what to take and not take and a question popped into my head... do I actually need to take my passport?

I have a UK passport and UK photo driving license - would the plastic driving license be enough? We're driving down to SJPdP as it's only 3 hours from home. We've never been asked for our passport when we cross between France and Spain or France and Italy... so could I leave it at home? It would certainly be one less thing to worry about?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was out walking today... thinking about my pack and what to take and not take and a question popped into my head... do I actually need to take my passport?

I have a UK passport and UK photo driving license - would the plastic driving license be enough? We're driving down to SJPdP as it's only 3 hours from home. We've never been asked for our passport when we cross between France and Spain or France and Italy... so could I leave it at home? It would certainly be one less thing to worry about?

Carry your valid official national passport with you at all times. From time to time in busy large albergues I have been asked to show this as well as the usual pilgrim Credencial. Often if you stop in regular tourist accommodation you need your national passport. Also carry your valid health insurance card. Last December in all Galician albergues BOTH national identification and the Credencial were required.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Ask yourself this, If there were a family emergency in the UK, would you be able to fly back to the UK without it? I've heard Americans say they left their US passport with family in Germany, imagine if you got injured and had to fly back to the US immediately while on the Camino and your passport was in Germany, or at a friends house in Barcelona, etc., you'd have to go back to get it or call the Embassy and jump through hoops to make it happen all for the sake of saving a few grams.

Ok, not such a good idea then. I was kind of hoping it was one document I could leave at home and not worry about keeping safe or dry.

Bajaracer - I live in France (3 hours from SJPdP) which is why I wondered (because of the Schengen Agreement) if i could do without... I wasn't sure about the Albergues... it would have just been one less thing to worry about... trying to keep things as simple as possible :)

thanks for all the swift answers... I know you'd all know!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The passport, as others have said, is required for ID. A UK driving licence is not considered as ID, so we leave them at home and use our passports, which we have to carry anway for travelling from the UK. They can also sometimes help gain access to some museums as it proves you live in the EU.
All that said we have had some funny entries made from the information on our passports :D

Bajaracer - I live in France

Does France have an ID card? If it does you might be able to travel on that. Most Italians travel on their ID card around Europe. The UK is the only place that causes problems. They accept the ID line the wait is longer.

This question is better posed to the right authorities, specially enforcing authorities, than in a public forum to strangers. Honestly, I much rather worry about my passport while I am carrying it that worry about NOT having one while on travel.

I am sure am missing something....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Once again thanks for the replies... Olivares thanks for the reply but dont worry... I understand what's needed legally, but I wasn't sure if, regardless, I would still be asked for my passport en-route ... Hotels, Albergues and the like... and as so many folks in the know here have said yes it is needed... it will come with me:)

As I understand it, and I may be quite wrong in some of the following assumptios, we are not required by law to have our UK passport with us at all times - the French and Spanish are required to carry their National ID cards with them. So, from that point of view you don't need it with you and there are no requirements to present identity for border crossings within Schengen.
Yes, you need to present photo identity for your credential at albergues, especially in Galicia, and at hotels. This is a legal requirement but not all establishments bother. I have found in living in Spain and France for the past 16 years that my UK driving licence has always been accepted at hotels, albergues and police checks as well as for identity for visa card purchases.
If things go wrong and you are suspected of a crime, the police will want to see your passport but you have no obligation to have been carrying it with you.
Overall you will be met with great friendship nearly everywhere and a desire to help you out. So I still take my Passport with me as a matter of courtesy and for the reasons given by others here - you can't get back into the UK without it and probably not onto most airlines. I keep mine in a pocket of my rucksack in a polythene cover but it usually stays there.

Hi Freescot and thanks for the reply... as you say living in France allows us to move around within the Schengen zone and not get asked for a passport and like you we carry our photo driving license... this is why I got to my lightbulb (daft) idea today ... but as folks have said it's not such a good idea and having my passport will just make life easier for everyone... including me.

thanks for all the replies... passport is back on the list :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ok, not such a good idea then. I was kind of hoping it was one document I could leave at home and not worry about keeping safe or dry.

Bajaracer - I live in France (3 hours from SJPdP) which is why I wondered (because of the Schengen Agreement) if i could do without... I wasn't sure about the Albergues... it would have just been one less thing to worry about... trying to keep things as simple as possible :)

Put it in a ziploc bag and carry it in your pack. Put it in your shirt pocket without fail whenever the pack is off your back.

thanks for all the replies... A passport is back on the list :)
Your question is answered, just would like to add my experience.
Last year I left my Dutch ID card in a hotel on the primitivo. Only the next day I realized this. I got in contact with the hotel, the most easy thing seemed to ask them to send it to poste restante in SdC. Since I still had my driving license I thought it wouldn't matter.
But I didn't count on the state owned Albergues in Galicia. I credential and a driving license was really not enough for them. In one I got in after 15 minutes of talking, one (man [edited by @ivar ]) just didn't let me in.
So to everyone, always bring a passport or an ID card!

Last edited by a moderator:
Off subject somewhat but this will sound very silly, One of my favorite things about my worn-out passport is the stamps from countries I have visited. When I cross into Spain on foot I doubt I will get a stamp. Silly isn't it? Has anyone have some thoughts?
Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Off subject somewhat but this will sound very silly, One of my favorite things about my worn-out passport is the stamps from countries I have visited. When I cross into Spain on foot I doubt I will get a stamp. Silly isn't it? Has anyone have some thoughts?
Thanks

There is no passport control at the old frontier between France and Spain anymore; hence no passport stamps. However you will see out-dated signs announcing where the frontier was. When you do enter Europe on an international flight you can usually ask for an entry stamp to be added to your passport.

If for any reason you need money sent to you via a bank or Post Office transfer system (not card) you will need passport too as well as the codes given for the transfer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree. Passport on you at all times. Be careful with it. In one of my umulating frenzies, I either threw mine out (or I lost it - wasn't sure).
It was a very intense and slightly intimidating process with the government to get a new one - including 2 interviews, swearing an oath that I didn't sell it, a "special" note on my passport that there might be another one out there. Every time I crossed a border after that there was a question about my other passport... So given the traffic in counterfeit/stolen passports, it's an unwanted hassle to replace if it's stolen or goes missing.

We are about two hours from SJPdP, so if you are in the Gers I can give any advice you might need?! (I took my passport as I stayed in the occasional hotel)

Karin

Hi Karin and thanks for the offer -we're a bit further north than you but not too far... I'm east of Bordeax on the Vezelay Route... we had a holiday in your part of the world a couple of years ago... very pretty part of France.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was only asked for it a handful of times, at albergues, but I was glad I had it. I kept it with all the other valuables I carried. I also left a photocopy of the opening page with my family back home in case I needed it. Better safe than sorry.

Yes, your passport is required by Spanish law in every place you stop the night. A few albergues don't ask, but they are supposed to. As in France, you are required to keep your "papers" with you at all times.

When serving as hospitalarios, we only asked for a passport or identity card so we could properly write the name and country information. The Pilgrim Credential has the info but is often impossible to read. The passport/identity number is on the credential. No need of passport if the pilgrim credential is readable.

The staff at the Pilgrim Office often asks for passport/national card for the same reason....to clearly see the name and country.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, your passport is required by Spanish law in every place you stop the night. A few albergues don't ask, but they are supposed to. As in France, you are required to keep your "papers" with you at all times.

Sir John - thank you for your reply but you'll be relieved to learn that this is no longer the case. I've just returned from a half term holiday down near Perpignan on the Med. We hopped across the Pyrenees to Spain for a couple of days and stayed in a small hotel... inadvertantly we forgot our passports but thankfully the spanish hotel never asked for anything.

Also - I think the idea 'papers' in France is also a bit out-dated. I've never been asked for any... I have a Carte Vital but only need this for anything medical as it means I'm in the french health care system... unless I'm misunderstanding your comments (in which case i'm sorry :) )

We only asked for a passport or identity card so we could properly write the name and country information. The Pilgrim Credential has the info but is often impossible to read. The passport/identity number is on the credential. No need of passport if the pilgrim credential is readable.

The staff at the Pilgrim Office often asks for passport/national card for the same reason....to clearly see the name and country.

Grayland - that makes perfect sense and I'm in agreement with everyone else that it's better safe than sorry :)

Thanks
No way: since the Schengen Treaty, there is only the outside border for all countries that have signed it. So no internal border, no control, no stamp. That's what it means to be a union, doesn't it?

if you lose or get your passport nicked (as we did!) you have to show the 'crime' form the police give you instead. We used this at albergues, campsites and at the Post office to get parcels left poste restante. We even used them to get ferry tickets home again - although my (welsh)husband was required to take an 'englishness' test! I assume i didn't look as dodgy as him...!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
and it is always a good idea to have a photocopy of your passport kept somewhere else in your pack
This answer from 2014 is still valid. Also we now leave a copy of all documents, or at least a record of their numbers with a family member. If the original is lost then it is much easier to deal with the issue if you have a photocopy or the relevant details.

No way: since the Schengen Treaty, there is only the outside border for all countries that have signed it. So no internal border, no control, no stamp. That's what it means to be a union, doesn't it?
Just to let you know I made this in feb 2014. Just prior to my walk yes my entire 42 days entering & leaving my U.S. passport never stamped, no worries, the pilgrim passport totally covered :p

Last edited:
I do not understand where people are coming from with this Question, no matter what Agreements , Treaty's, or whether a hospitalarios / hotel manager asks to see it or not .
In Spain, you must carry a valid ID card or passport at all times, so if in your Country you are not issued with an identity card, then like it or not you must carry, your Passport on your person at all times.
I always carry with me in a pocket a photo copy of all my Health /Insurance cards , Drivers License , Passport and Medical prescriptions .
Another thing which might seen to some as a little over the top is a copy of next of kin with full Names, addresses, phone numbers and Email.
I arrange them all so as they fit on a single A 4 sheet, front and back if needed the print off a few copies .
All this is in case the originals get stolen or if I should be incapable of communicating the details.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As I understand it, and I may be quite wrong in some of the following assumptios, we are not required by law to have our UK passport with us at all times - the French and Spanish are required to carry their National ID cards with them. So, from that point of view you don't need it with you and there are no requirements to present identity for border crossings within Schengen.
The Guardia Civil maintains a database of pilgrims and where they stay. Supposedly, all albergues are required to update this database with ID of all their guests. I am well aware that many albergues ignore this. And the only way for la Guardia to detect a violation would be to send someone out posing as a pilgrim, then check whether the correct information was uploaded. All the required data is on any passport or national ID: Name, birthdate, issue date of the ID, country, and ID number. If the pilgrim is Spanish, the database program does verify the data with the DNI database. It probably also verifies NIE for a registered foreigner, but I never uploaded one of those.

Eu citizens within Schengen can fly to another Schengen airport on an official ID card (no passport required to board plane). As a Finnish citizen I therefore don't need to take my passport to Spain, just my ID card. However, the albergues always ask for a passport (maybe just an ID card would be ok too, it's just that there are so many nonEU and non Schengen that it is easier for hospitalarios to default to asking for a passport?).

I'd take my passport anyway, a bit too old fashioned like that...Unlikely to lose my wallet snd passport at same time etc...

However, as hospitalero, I was occasionally presented with a photocopy, which is just as good. All I have to do is record the number, and enter it into an online form hosted by Guardia Civil. And unless it is a Spanish DNI or TIE, the number is not checked against anything. (In fact, I wonder whether anyone looks at that database. More than once, la Guardia has called us on the phone asking if some missing person had stayed with us.)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think there is a cultural/linguistic misunderstanding here. People from countries without a national ID card system tend to say that you need to show your national passport for identification at check in at a hotel or an albergue in Spain but it's short for "national passport if you have the nationality of a country without a national ID card system and are not from the EU/EEA/Schengen area, or either your national passport or your national ID card otherwise" :cool:.

Frankly, I don't even recall what they ask me in Spain, be it in English or in Spanish, but whatever it is that is said, whether passport or pasaporte or something else, I always show them my national ID card, and there's never been any reaction to it, not even a batting of an eyelid. Nor would I expect any reaction.

Here's an easy rule of the thumb: the document that allows you to go through "passport control" at your national border is the document you need to present for identification in Spanish albergues and hotels. :cool:

I think your all missing the point this was the original question.

"I was out walking today... thinking about my pack and what to take and not take and a question popped into my head... do I actually need to take my passport? "

I have to refer back to my original post / answer to Les Brass.

I do not understand where people are coming from with this Question, no matter what Agreements , Treaty's, or whether a hospitalarios / hotel manager asks to see it or not .
In Spain, you must carry a valid ID card or passport at all times, so if in your Home Country, you are not issued with an identity card, then like it or not you must carry, your National Passport on your person at all times.
Its the Law.

I will not address any of the previous comments although I've read them. The following is the law in Spain for the purpose of identification when staying in a hotel, hostel, hostal, pensión, albergue, etc.:

Es requisito legal registrarse en lo que se conoce como registro de viajeros. Deberás presentar un documento, en el momento de completar el formulario, y sólo son documentos aceptados:
  • Españoles:
    • DNI español
    • Pasaporte español
    • Permiso de conducir español
  • Extranjeros:
    • Pasaporte extranjero
    • Carta o Documento de Identidad (para ciudadanos de la Unión Europea, Andorra, Islandia, Suiza, Noruega, Mónaco y San Marino)
    • Permiso de residencia español ("NIE") en vigor para extranjeros residentes en España
    • Permiso de residencia expedido por otro Estado Miembro de la de Unión Europea
Note the last line if you are for example a UK national who is a resident in France.

Note also: What is considered as a valid ID document may depend on the specific situation (is it for travelling and where to, is it for checking into a hotel, is it for taking an exam for getting a driving licence, are you considered as a national or as a resident foreigner or a non-resident foreigner). Depending on the specific situation, the very same document can be a valid ID document or not under the law.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back