• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need pants in July? - Packing for the Camino Frances

Sara Jean

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning on walking the Camino July (2015)
Hello All!

I've just booked my flight to Bilbao, so I'm feeling all kinds of excited about walking the Camino Frances, since I have this "it's really happening" feeling! :)

I have a question related to packing for everyone... I'm planning what to bring with me and I'm unsure of whether I need to bring long pants, or if a pair of shorts and a pair of capri yoga-style (kind of legging-esk) "pants" will do. I've read a lot about it being super hot in the summer, so I think i'll be fine without long pants, but I just thought I'd throw the question out into the forum to double check. I'm starting the walk late June and will be finishing late July/early August.

Cheers,
Sara

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Sara!

Last summer I walked without long pants all the time, but I used them when I was burned by sun..:) Which was very useful at the moment!

When I walked the Camino from July-August 2013 it was warm and sunny everyday and I wore shorts and a t-shirt everyday. I didn't even have a pair of long pants.
My second Camino I had a pair of lightweight long pants but only wore them while travelling to and from the Camino. You don't have to have them, but they can be handy sometimes. Just keep them lightweight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pants/trousers protect you from sun burn, cutting grass blades ect. They actually keep you cooler than shorts. Buen Camino, SY
You might need them. In case of sunburn as other posters suggested and in the evening when it gets colder. And if you are sunburned you get colder as the temps lower. Might get handy, but keep them lightweight.

Hello All!

I've just booked my flight to Bilbao, so I'm feeling all kinds of excited about walking the Camino Frances, since I have this "it's really happening" feeling! :)
I have a question related to packing for everyone... I'm planning what to bring with me and I'm unsure of whether I need to bring long pants, or if a pair of shorts and a pair of capri yoga-style (kind of legging-esk) "pants" will do. I've read a lot about it being super hot in the summer, so I think i'll be fine without long pants, but I just thought I'd throw the question out into the forum to double check. I'm starting the walk late June and will be finishing late July/early August.
Cheers,
Sara
While your question is gender related, here my general thought: What, if it rains? I don't think that wet leggings would be that comfortable.
My choice are zip-off long (water-resistant-) pants in neutral color (so that they can be worn for dinners at the Parador...:D)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I wore shorts, also had a pair of the zip-off leg pants, but never used the leg part. I did get sun burned but it was my own fault for not putting on sun cream that day :( My wife wore those legging type pants you talked about and she was comfortable the whole trip. Buen Camino :)

Welcome, Sara!
My thought is that you may still want lightweight pants in the airports and on airplanes. It can also get pretty chilly in the mornings in the mountains. But hey, if you bring them and end up not needing them, you can always send them on to Santiago!

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

I wear very light weight pants (columbia brand) with removable leggings. You choose how to go about the day's wear and have the advantage to wash and quickly dry the dirtiest lower parts whilst walking.:cool:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Cheers,
Sara

Just remember that you will be walking all day with your back to the sun. Last year I tried walking in shorts and cooked my calves. If you do walk in shorts, be sure to use good sun-screen.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
... In Spain, appearing in public without pants is considered a faux pas in the least, and illegal in some cases. (see the threads on exhibicionistas)

I think we have a classical British/American English misunderstanding here. As far as I understood it, the OP meant shorts / short trousers/pants versus full length pants/trousers.

Buen Camino, con o sin pantalones cortos, SY

Just remember that you will be walking all day with your back to the sun.
That would be interesting!! Do you get far?

More seriously, I walk in pants, changing into shorts while I am doing my domestic tasks at the end of the day. Maintaining good vitamin D levels doesn't require long exposure times, and beyond that, exposure brings with it more deleterious effects than benefits. A tan might look good, but it isn't necessary for good health, and seeking it out can lead to dangerous, cancer promoting exposure levels.

I know that @Sara Jean was not proposing to walk bare legged, and as a Californian, she is more likely that others perhaps might be about these sun exposure issues.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello All!

Cheers,
Sara

I walked the same time of year you planning, I go to the desert all the time so I know the importance of covering up. I wore a sun hat, long pants and a collared long sleeve shirt during the day and switched to shorts and t-shirt after getting settled in at the albergue.
I stayed cooler and didn't get the life sucked out of me by the sun, look at farm workers, road construction crews, and bedouins, they are all covered up and are cooler than someone in shorts and a tank top. Besides, you don't want to slather sunblock on a daily basis, fine for a day on the beach, but not every day on the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Agree wholeheartedly on bringing zip-off-leg pants and a long sleeve UVA top (light in color and weight).

Bajaracer
I agree on covering up
I am very light skinned and burn like a marhmallow at the drop of a hat.

Too many years of exposure and boom..skin issues.
For me 100% cotton khaki pants and close woven long sleeves may seem hot and heavy,but you get used to it and beats sunburn for anything.
Ime gonna look funny with my kit.

I agree with all of the "Yes, take the pants!" reasons so far. When I walk I have a pair of quick dry nylon pants (I'm Canadian, so for me "pants" means like trousers, not undies), and I also have a pair of Icebreaker merino wool leggings that I wear under a hiking skirt. I love both options for different reasons, but either which way, I prefer to keep my legs covered when I walk. Protection from the sun, getting scratched by plants, avoiding insect bites, dust (that lime-like dust on the top of the mountain on the stretch from the Iron Cross to Acebo... wow, it's intense stuff! It went right through my pant legs and I was amazed at how dirty my legs were!), warmth on chilly days, protection on rainy days, avoiding dog slobber on bare skin, and yes, the "being presentable for going into churches and museums" aspect is worth thinking about too... plus having the pants for the travel part of getting to your starting point... all reasons why they're one of the most important things on my packing list. I've walked the Camino twice in autumn and once in summer. The summer walk was the most recent and I took a pair of shorts with me because I thought they might be nice in the albergue in the evening. I never wore them, not once (I was a little surprised). Your mileage may vary, but I think long pants are a good choice for any time of year.

Buen Camino!

Rachel

P.S. Check your private messages on here, sending you a message. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry, hope this isn't crazy-making, but to add another possibility to the mix: I walk in a slightly longer than mid-calf skirt. It's beautifully cool and easy to get on and off (modestly and quietly) in the albergue. (I deal with the sun on the calves with knee-high socks...)

Trousers are helpful when walking through long grass and may protect you from bites from insects and the like. I've got an extremely lightweight pair that I got from Kathmandu (Women's Coro) and they are incredibly comfy and brilliant during our Wet Season which is hot and humid.

Sorry, hope this isn't crazy-making, but to add another possibility to the mix: I walk in a slightly longer than mid-calf skirt. It's beautifully cool and easy to get on and off (modestly and quietly) in the albergue. (I deal with the sun on the calves with knee-high socks...)

Another adept of a long skirt here! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello All!

Cheers,
Sara

Hi Sara,
I took one pair of shorts and one pair of zip-off quick drying trouser so I had the best of both worlds and I only ever zipped the legs on when it rained as I only had a poncho I'm glad I did as this helped to keep my legs a little warmer "not much but a little" :)
At the end of the day Sara its what you feel most comfortable wearing while walking and having the option to change...
This time I'm taking Paclite waterproof trousers n jacket rather than a poncho...

I see your flying into Bilbao... Where are you looking to start your Camino?
I fly into Bilbao on 16th May 2015 and used this website to book my bus ticket...
http://www.independentrip.com/en/bus-and-train
(it will only allow you to book tickets and print them off 4 or 5 weeks in advance)

Happy planning
Buen Camino
Bryan

Thank you everyone for all of the advise! (And, no, I was not proposing I walk naked! I was considering a mid-thigh length trouser + a mid-calf length tight workout trouser vs. also bringing a pair of long trousers, but I think the question was mostly understood. ;-))

I think I will buy some zip-off trousers, like many of you suggested... the reason I was considering not bringing them is that I'm having a difficult time finding some that fit well... (Decathlon has some and the sizing makes them either too small or too big). I haven't had all that much time to shop around though, so I'm sure I will find something. I'm more committed to finding them now that so many of you have suggested them :)

Also, thank you for the website suggestion for booking my flight, @Heliman1965 . I am looking into that right now. I'm planning on starting at St. Jean Pied de Port. :)

-Sara

Hello All!

Cheers,
Sara

I start walking from SJPDP on June's 30th .. I am not taking any long pants, but may take them zip on/off pants just incase

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you everyone for all of the advise! (And, no, I was not proposing I walk naked! I was considering a mid-thigh length trouser + a mid-calf length tight workout trouser vs. also bringing a pair of long trousers, but I think the question was mostly understood. ;-))

I think I will buy some zip-off trousers, like many of you suggested... the reason I was considering not bringing them is that I'm having a difficult time finding some that fit well... (Decathlon has some and the sizing makes them either too small or too big). I haven't had all that much time to shop around though, so I'm sure I will find something. I'm more committed to finding them now that so many of you have suggested them :)

Also, thank you for the website suggestion for booking my flight, @Heliman1965 . I am looking into that right now. I'm planning on starting at St. Jean Pied de Port. :)

-Sara
Hi Sara...I have struggled with the same concern for my May walk. I also have the same issue with fit. So, I hunted and found that the Prana Monarch (with drawstring) fit pretty well (on sale right now at 6PM.com). However, I've decided to leave them at home in lieu of my usual merino wool skirts and leggings. I read an article praising the insulating power of a legging against the skin vs. a regular pant leg, and since wool is naturally water resistant I decided it was a no-brainer.Hence, I'm going with the combination that I am most comfortable with...Merino leggings and skirt.

Hello All!

Cheers,
Sara
Walk in light pants during the day for comfort and sun protection, bring both superlight shorts or a running skort AND light leggings . YOu never know when it will get really cold even in summer. With this system you can layer. It can get really cold in Galicia in high summer, down into the 50s F.

Walk in light pants during the day for comfort and sun protection, bring both superlight shorts or a running skort AND light leggings . YOu never know when it will get really cold even in summer. With this system you can layer. It can get really cold in Galicia in high summer, down into the 50s F.
I also changed into my shorts when I stopped for the day. Nice to have a change. Shorts and a tank can also be a swimsuit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back