• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need rain gear in April and May on the Via de la Plata. What kind of sleeping gear I need?

Julio Rivera

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Camino Inglés, Camino Portugués, Camino Primitivo, Camino del Norte, Camino Aragonés
Hello:
I got two questions:
1. Do I need rain gear for the Via de la Plata on the months of April and May?
2. How cold it is to sleep at the albergues. I am bringing a lightweight cotton Coolmax sleeping blanket but I am not sure if it is warm enough. Any ideas? I am in the United States so it must be something that I can buy locally or from Amazon.com
Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I haven't done the Via de la Plata, but I would bring rain gear for any Camino in any season. My friend just recently received this poncho from Amazon, and it looks like it will be great for the Camino. At 9.5 ounces it's pretty lightweight, and has a full zip front, which make it easier to put on, and provides ventilation when needed.

It also comes in a lot of different colors and patterns. I did notice that there are a couple that are slightly different, with snap front that may have a different weight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075J7NJV2/?tag=casaivar02-20

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My Via de la Plata started end of April and a silk liner was enough for me most nights. I did not bring a sleepingbag for the first time at this camino but brought a rescue blanket 1,60x210, which I always carry with me skiing in winter, it is some kind of metal folie, weighs nothing and help a victim to retain body temperature.
It helped me the couple of nights the linen was not enough. Nearly cost nothing as well.
Raingear, YES, there were days, with very heavy rain, lots of mud (gaters). But weather is not easy to tell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I walk Via de la Plata last april and may. Left Sevilla on april 7. I used a puncho for water protection and next time i would bring gaters too.

I had a light sleeping back and at time it was a little fresh. You have to realise that when we leave Sevilla the temperture is nice. But the more you go to the north the colder it get. We got freezing rain and saw snow on the ground. We have met people that walk in 2 inchs of snow along the way. ...

With climate change you can face many surprise along the way.

I had a cold walk in April last year, but it was fairly unusual for the regiobn, a mere 10 degrees centigrade off...
Never discount raingear on any Camino, is my advice....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You will need rain gear for any Camino you do and I would rec if you have a poncho to also bring light weight rain pants. The rain pants could give you another layer if it gets real cold and doesn't weigh much. i have only used a light weight sleep sack for 2 spring Caminos and 3 fall ones.

I walk Via de la Plata last april and may. Left Sevilla on april 7. I used a puncho for water protection and next time i would bring gaters too.

I had a light sleeping back and at time it was a little fresh. You have to realise that when we leave Sevilla the temperture is nice. But the more you go to the north the colder it get. We got freezing rain and saw snow on the ground. We have met people that walk in 2 inchs of snow along the way. ...

With climate change you can face many surprise along the way.

I forgot to say that my girl friend was sleeping with all her cloths because of the cold in certain areas of Vdlp.

I let you decide what to bring in april on Vdlp...

Bring rain gear!

I walked the VDLP April/May too. One Korean lady dumped her sleeping bag early on as it was hot, and she regretted this. I had to give her all my spare clothes at night so she could sleep warm! I would take a lightweight sleeping bag (I did and I needed it too).

Davey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is not an overkill to be prepared for daytime temperatures ranging from 10s to upper 20s.
Remarkably, I only remember one very cold, and one very wet days.

IMG_1757.PNGIMG_1756.PNG

Hello:
I got two questions:
2. How cold it is to sleep at the albergues. I am bringing a lightweight cotton Coolmax sleeping blanket but I am not sure if it is warm enough. Any ideas? I am in the United States so it must be something that I can buy locally or from Amazon.com
Thank you.
Haven’t done via de la plata. But have entered Galicia 4 times from two different directions in spring and in autumn. It rained every time.

Yes, it will rain and did rain quite a bit on my walk from Seville to Salamanca in May this year. And it was a cold, cold rain. I always take a poncho. Also, the VDLP is large measure (when it's not running along highways) runs through fields that seem to be composed of soft powder like clay which becomes the most amazing glue to your shoes when it rains. Unlike the Frances which has more gravel roads, the first half of the VDLP seems to run more through fields with the associated mud tracks in any kind of rain.

I completed the VdlP last April/May: Rain will happen, it always does. As for sleeping I use a double cotton fitted sheet and airline blankets, sleep in my clothes when I have to. There are some really crappy Albergues, like Grimaldi with windowless dorms and there are some great ones, just like every other Camino.

Definitely take rain gear. I took a waterproof jacket and trousers. One day (late April this year) it even snowed.
As for sleeping, I took a lightweight sleeping bag (1-2season, 500g) and a silk liner. I was still really cold several nights. Many hostels on the VdlP have blankets, but not always enough to go around. A number of hostels also have sheets and even duvets - relative luxury compared with the Frances!
Have fun. It was a great time of year to walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello:
I got two questions:
Thank you.
I walked last April and May and got bitterly cold. It snowed 2 days as well. So, yes rains gear is essential plus a warm sleeping bag. My sleeping bag covers temperatures from 6 degrees and I was warm enough. Not all albergues provide de blankets

Rain protection essential as rain unpredictable at that time of year. Personal view would be to walk in shorts on wet days rather than carrying waterproof trousers. Tend to get hot and condensation damp in them and my legs don’t feel the cold at that time of year. Good luck.

Hi, Julio, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

There are a couple of examples below that would work well for you for sleeping.

As far as rain gear, I prefer the Frogg Toggs Ultralite poncho. Easy to put on, covers the pack, keeps condensation to a minimum, multi-functional as a groundsheet, tarp, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9HXP35/?tag=casaivar02-20
[/QUOTE
Does anyone know the exact weight of this down throw?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello:
I got two questions:
Thank you.

I walked VdLP April/May 2018. The sun gods were smiling down on me, as I experienced very little rain, and managed to get by without a proper rain coat easily. However, I bought one at the Decathlon outside Zamora, and was glad I did. I only needed it for rain a couple of times, but it was cold in Galicia, and I was glad for the extra warmth.

I was also glad to have a light sleeping bag, for comfort and warmth, the whole walk.

Buen camino!

Only walked VdLP in September. Temperature was okay but I sleep warm. Several days of horizontal rain. Glad for my Altus poncho, old Golite rainpants, and all my gear in waterproof baggies.
I have gotten less wet in river raft upsets.
Raingear--yes.
Sleepingbag--YMMV

Hello:
I got two questions:
Thank you.
Hi there. Good luck with your Camino. We live 100 km north of Seville, quite close to the route of the Camino so are very familiar with the weather. You should definitely expect to get rained on, especially earlier in April. The other side of the coin is that night-time temperatures should have risen by then making a lightweight cotton blanket sufficient to keep you warm. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.