• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I Need Sleepingbag In May?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am having the same debate re VDLP May 5th. All I can contribute is that departing SJPP early June 2015, I never needed more than a liner.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am having the same debate re VDLP May 5th. All I can contribute is that departing SJPP early June 2015, I never needed more than a liner.
I seem to remember one albergue on the early stages that is an old wine cellar. That albergue is cold! Can anyone remember where it is?

As one who walked last May with just a liner, I would say yes, bring a sleeping bag. I will the next time.
Aaaaahhhhh!!! Now, would a light covering on top of your liner have been enough??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Aaaaahhhhh!!! Now, would a light covering on top of your liner have been enough??
I actually had 2 liners, a rectangular one that I put down on the mattress and over the pillow and the mummy shaped one I slept in. Also had a fleece wrap that I used inside the one I slept in, and wore a fleece pullover nearly every night. Was not really too uncomfortable, given that in May the albergues are not heated (it's Spring!), and in most places the windows are open at night. A single sleeping bag would be at least as warm and more efficient, especially when packing up in the morning.

Sorry I can't remember, it was 3 years ago and unusually hot for May when I was there, I just remember the creepy albergue!

I never even debate whether to bring a sleeping bag, I took one on the Primitivo last July and did use it. When I bought mine 10 years ago I bit the bullet and paid a lot for a superlight (0.5kg) 45 farenheit down one. I think it was nearly £200 and I nearly died spending so much at the time, but I have used that thing so much it's nearly worn out and it has been worth every penny. I recently saw a new 788g rectangular one is now in the same range, and am sorely tempted. I'd like to see how small it is in its stuff sack though.

I don't know, I just feel vulnerable without it, nothing makes you feel more rubbish than being cold overnight (I once foolishly 'slept' on an unheated boat in a harbour in the UK in February and I think I am scarred by it!)

Sorry I can't remember, it was 3 years ago and unusually hot for May when I was there, I just remember the creepy albergue!

I never even debate whether to bring a sleeping bag, I took one on the Primitivo last July and did use it. When I bought mine 10 years ago I bit the bullet and paid a lot for a superlight (0.5kg) 45 farenheit down one. I think it was nearly £200 and I nearly died spending so much at the time, but I have used that thing so much it's nearly worn out and it has been worth every penny. I recently saw a new 788g rectangular one is now in the same range, and am sorely tempted. I'd like to see how small it is in its stuff sack though.

I don't know, I just feel vulnerable without it, nothing makes you feel more rubbish than being cold overnight (I once foolishly 'slept' on an unheated boat in a harbour in the UK in February and I think I am scarred by it!)
I do not disagree one bit. But it is really shitty to spend money, when it turns out one didn't need to spend it and to lug something around that one doesn't end up using.

Off-topic.....I won't run without carrying water. Even if I never take a sip, even if it's a short run, but I ran a marathon once on a really hot day without any and the water stations ran out of water. I was traumatized and have never run without water ever since.

Maybe I'll go look at sleeping bags. Mine, even in stuff sack is still a good size and weighs 2 pounds, so 1 kg?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked in August/September last year and brought a silk liner and this 6.9 ounce/197 gm down throw blanket, which I tucked into my silk liner on the few rare cool nights. When it was really hot I put it underneath my silk liner to provide insulation between myself and the rubber covered mattresses.

Depends...do you sleep hot or cold?
I would say a liner, but if you are a cold sleeper, I don't recommend bringing a sleeping bag heavier than about 680 grams.
ultreia

I will start from SJPP May 4. Do I need to have with me sleepingbag or silk liner.
I walked 25 May - 23 Jun 2013. I carried a very lightweight sleeping bag (good from 3 degrees Celsius) and was very happy that I did. People forget that much of the Camino Frances is walked on a plateau and not a sea level making some evening very cool and sometimes outright cold. Yes to the sleeping bag.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I seem to remember one albergue on the early stages that is an old wine cellar. That albergue is cold! Can anyone remember where it is?
If you're looking for a cold place to sleep, don't miss the old schoolhouse, i.e. Municipal Albergue, at Villadangos del Páramo (21 km west of León). I almost froze there on April 24, 2015. Brrr!

I will start from SJPP May 4. Do I need to have with me sleepingbag or silk liner.
Might want to take that bag - a lightweight one will do. Last year in later May there was sleet and hail over the Pyrenees. Make sure you are watertight that day because although Roncesvalles has dryers, you have to wait until the laundry is open (freezing and wet) and then there is a "System" whereby you must have things both washed and dried only by staff (nominal fee), which is another 2 hours (i.e. you cannot use only the clothes dryer and can't use either washer or dryer on your own). The men's bathrooms were out of hot water, which was the other option for getting warm.

If necessary, you can buy a sleeping bag from the front desk in Roncesvalles - about 22 Euro was the most inexpensive.

We're walking the Arles Camino in May, has anyone had the experience of sleeping bag or not as most of the time we'll be in demi-pensions where sheets and blankets are generally provided. Thanks in advance

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's in the town where the fort is..El Real de la Jara. The claustrophobia got me so I slept upstairs.

It's in the town where the fort is..El Real de la Jara. The claustrophobia got me so I slept upstairs.
I just passed through Real de la Jara and did not hear of this albergue. Where is it located in town?

I just passed through Real de la Jara and did not hear of this albergue. Where is it located in town?
It's right at the very start of the town as you walk in and is on the left hand side built into the hill. The stairs are next to the road. it was an old water cistern from memory, not a wine cellar. It is the municipal albergue, there are other private albergues further in.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's right at the very start of the town as you walk in and is on the left hand side built into the hill. The stairs are next to the road. it was an old water cistern from memory, not a wine cellar. It is the municipal albergue, there are other private albergues further in.
Oh, I stayed there. I just could not imagine it being an old water cistern, not wine cellar. It has the tourism office just in front of it, one large dorm upstairs, a kitchen, patio and two bathrooms. Your standard muni.

This was a shot taken from the albergue. I don't have one of the albergue.
Oh, I stayed there. I just could not imagine it being an old water cistern, not wine cellar. It has the tourism office just in front of it, one large dorm upstairs, a kitchen, patio and two bathrooms. Your standard muni.
Are we talking about the same thing. It was the very first building as you walk in. From memory it had 2 vault like dorms and low doorways. The kitchen was downstairs , a tiny entrance lobby and a dorm upstairs. I don't remember a tourism office.

Attachments

• IMG_3352.JPG
    IMG_3352.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
This was a shot taken from the albergue. I don't have one of the albergue.

Are we talking about the same thing. It was the very first building as you walk in. From memory it had 2 vault like dorms and low doorways. The kitchen was downstairs , a tiny entrance lobby and a dorm upstairs. I don't remember a tourism office.

My mistake, I was thinking Castilblanco. To tell you the truth, I can't remember the albergue in Real de la Jara, only the delicious meal at Meson La Cochera. Ah, yes. First albergue into town is the first builing, brick. I stayed a few doors down. The man with the mule had recommended against the first one.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In May I would take a sleeping bag, mine weighs about 750gms, mid-season rating. I used it plus a blanket one year. It isn't worth being cold and not sleeping well. If weight is an issue take the bag and not a liner.

My mistake, I was thinking Castilblanco. To tell you the truth, I can't remember the albergue in Real de la Jara, only the delicious meal at Meson La Cochera. Ah, yes. First albergue into town is the first builing, brick. I stayed a few doors down. The man with the mule had recommended against the first one.
Eat at Restaurante El Rinconcillo in Monesterio, especially the Rabo de Toro. Also there is a good restaurant near the albergue in Zafra. Ask the hospitarerio. The remainder of my meals until Zamora we forgettable. Enjoy, it's a great walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Eat at Restaurante El Rinconcillo in Monesterio, especially the Rabo de Toro. Also there is a good restaurant near the albergue in Zafra. Ask the hospitarerio. The remainder of my meals until Zamora we forgettable. Enjoy, it's a great walk.
Oh, I did eat there. A crujiente de morcilla for starters and a burger made with local meat. Both, with a glass of wine, for the price of a menu del dia anywhere else. And I think the one you are thinking of in Zafra is the Comeedor, a restaurant that raises it's own animals, tranforms kts meats, and focuses on local food. Had a partridege salad with foir gras there.

I walked the Frances May 23rd 2016 and used a sea to summit silk liner.
I specifically remember 3 out of 28 nights I wished I had a sleeping bag.
If you are a bit damp or if the windows are open it is will be a cold night.
Sometimes there are pilgrims blankets, however, you may opt against using one if you worry about bed bugs. That being said I never had trouble with bed bugs.
This year I am walking the San Salvador and Primitivo and bought myself a Marmot sleeping bag 680gm for $89 CAD.
As an alternative you can always buy a second cotton liner for cheap and bring it too.

JT

If it is a cold spring (like 2013) you will need a sleeping bag! If it is warmer a silk liner will usually suffice, but who can predict the weather? I did the CF in 3 legs, once with and twice without a sleeping bag, and I was lucky that my choices aligned with the weather in those years. Do remember that places like O Cebreiro are quite elevated and the albergue there offers no blankets - since that year I only had the silk liner that was a cold night for me! I would always carry a bag now, unless it was high summer. The absolute lightest-weight one you can purchase.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.