Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need to bring a map for the Primitivo?

nichollsb

Hi, everyone. I'm using the CSJ Camino Primitivo Guide. It didn't come with a map. Do I need a detailed map to figure out where to go?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Nichollsb,

When I walked the Primitivo, I printed out the Eroski Primitivo guide, which has schematic maps and good detailed walking instructions. I annotated it with stuff from the mundicamino site and this forum, and I was fine. I don't bring good maps with me because I am very cartographically challenged, shall we say. They wouldn't do me much good even if I had them.

If you're following Susanna on her Primitivo (she's in Tineo today), you'll see she had a few problems with waymarking, but that may be more going through towns than anything, and maps aren't going to help you with that.

Seems like the Primitivo is crowded these days, when are you going? Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Nichollsb,

When I walked the Primitivo, I printed out the Eroski Primitivo guide, which has schematic maps and good detailed walking instructions. I annotated it with stuff from the mundicamino site and this forum, and I was fine. I don't bring good maps with me because I am very cartographically challenged, shall we say. They wouldn't do me much good even if I had them.

If you're following Susanna on her Primitivo (she's in Tineo today), you'll see she had a few problems with waymarking, but that may be more going through towns than anything, and maps aren't going to help you with that.

Seems like the Primitivo is crowded these days, when are you going? Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks, Laurie! I'm going in October. We start in Oviedo on Oct. 4.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm on the primitvo now, I think the waymarks are very good. There where only two points where I would have liked more arrows. In most cases you then must just go straight ahead. It also depends indeed how your coordination is. I personally like good maps more than a description, my wife has just the opposite

Hi, everyone. I'm using the CSJ Camino Primitivo Guide. It didn't come with a map. Do I need a detailed map to figure out where to go?

I'm sorry to say CSJ guides are generally useless, confusing, and out if date. I have so many times begged them to change format and publish updates but they seem impervious to the real needs of pilgrims. Use Eroski. Buen Camino !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola,
The way marking is generally "ok", but in lots of places it's not enough. Everyone I met complained about the lack of arrows. I got lost many times, and I remember three guys said they once got so lost they had to take a taxi to get back to the camino. It's not fun when you are heading down a hill and starting to wonder if it's really the right way, because if it's not, then it's uphills to go back again. And there are so many uphills one doesn't want an extra uphills as a bonus.;)
Ok I used the Csj guide and the gronze.com website, which has good pics of ups and downs. It's quite nice to know how many 100 m uphills one has to climb the next day. :)

Hola! We just got back from walking the Primitivo...........I had taken the pages that were relevant from the wonderful book, The Northern Caminos : Norte, Primitivo and Inglés (Cicerone Guides) Paperback by Dave Whitson (Author) , laura Perazzoli (Author), grabbed the last few pages to Santiago from the CSJ book, printed out some recommendations from Dave, Laurie and a few other trusted and valuable sources here) and just went for it...........I had a map and sent it home from Lugo, where I sent about 7 lbs of other stuff we didn't need.............we had very few problems. Yes, getting out of some towns/ cities can be challenging, but I am never shy to ask and ask again........in the country at a crossroads, if we weren't sure, we'd just stop, split up and walk a bit in different directions until we figured it out....we got lost one time, for about 50 meters, that was it.....were there some small and various frustrations with not enough arrows, etc....sure, but it was all very manageable.....just get in the river and it will carry you pretty darn well...........btw, we LOVED LOVED LOVED the Prinitivo, the Camino, being perrigrinos, etc..........nothing like this experience anywhere.............enjoy!

If you don't know any Spanish, at least learn Pardon, Donde por favor?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sorry to say CSJ guides are generally useless, confusing, and out if date. I have so many times begged them to change format and publish updates but they seem impervious to the real needs of pilgrims. Use Eroski. Buen Camino !
I have to say that I am sorry but I disagree with you on this. We found the CSJ guide very good, both in format and information. There are some on-line updates, but these will only ever be as good as the input from returning pilgrims.
Eroski we found gave inaccurate elevations and even placed some villages at the wrong place on steep uphill stretches, the Gronze site is much better if relying on an on-line source.

I used the gronze maps and found them generally helpful, especially as they included elevations. There were very very few places where I needed clarity, but a quick enquiry of locals solved every question. The only real problem I had was out of the Museo Etnologico at Castro, but I headed to the left toward the carretera and all was well-- even so, I would not have liked to do that stretch in poor weather.

I used the The Northern Caminos by Laura Perazzoli and Dave Whitson (copied the Primitivo pages and brought just those). Between this excellent guide and the wonderful posts from Peregrina2000, I had all the info I needed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found the maps and elevations pages printed off from the Gronze site very helpful. I only encountered one serious problem in marking, and that was in the km or so after the Ethnological Museum in Castro. Other than that, it was smooth sailing (aside from the climbs!)

We had the relevant pages from The Northern Caminos , a Cicerone guide, and the elevation maps by Gronze. We still got lost.
Twice, we had to flag down a passing car and ask directions. As Susanna says, the last thing you want is more uphills than necessary !

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back