• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need to bring an inflatable mattress on the Camino

Michael Purvis

Time of past OR future Camino
i plan to walk the Camino in2016
Ii am planning on walking the Camino in the near future but i'm not sure if I need to bring a bedroll or an inflatable mattress. I plan to stay in albergues in which I understand that beds with mattresses are provided and all in need to bring is a sleeping bag and an inflatable pillow. Is that correct or will I need to bring some kind of mTtress with me?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum. Don't bring any kind of sleeping mat. All albergues provide mattresses, even Granon where it is a 2-inch mat on the floor. Almost all albergues provide pillows as well. On the rare occasion where they don't (e.g. Granon) you could roll up some clothes to use.

Welcome to the forum. Don't bring any kind of sleeping mat. All albergues provide mattresses, even Granon where it is a 2-inch mat on the floor. Almost all albergues provide pillows as well. On the rare occasion where they don't (e.g. Granon) you could roll up some clothes to use.
I agree that there is no need to bring a mat or mattress. Overflow accommodation varied when I walked, but generally did not include a bed in the sense of some structure to keep a mattress off the floor. I experienced rubber covered mattresses on the gym floor in Zubiri and gym mats in the overflow hall in Granon, but there was always something. If you are not in the overflow, there was always a bed or bunks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The trick to make your own pillow 'on the go' is to stuff the bag of your sleeping bag with the clothes you are not wearing. As for mattress, I agree with what the others have written. Buen Camino, SY

Welcome. I agree with the others. You can pack your backpack... then empty the contents on your bed and take only half of what you packed. Even so.... you will realize you won't need some of the stuff you packed. Fill your pockets with adventure, love and smiles and you'd have a great way ahead of you. Buen Camino :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Slept on HARD floors 3 times and was glad I carried a sleeping pad. Before you decide to carry a pad or not, go sleep outside on your sidewalk for a night and see how comfortable it is. And lot of people decide to sleep in adjacent fields or woods for a few nights while walking the Camino.

We also found that many people who told us to get rid of our "heavy" (to them) sleeping pads were also spending nights in hotels, not albergues. Lot of free advice on the Camino from people using taxis and staying in hotels.

I too agree with others that neither is really necessary. I have a couple of Camino friends who took liners and got by. I did take a cross between a liner and a light bag 'Intrepid Traveler' and even though I used it a few times, I could have done without it. Welcome and Buen Camino.

... We also found that many people who told us to get rid of our "heavy" (to them) sleeping pads were also spending nights in hotels, not albergues. Lot of free advice on the Camino from people using taxis and staying in hotels.

Nops, never used a taxi and only very occasionally a hostel and always only because I wanted to, but never because I needed to. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No mattress necessary but I always took my own pillow case. The pillows provided aren't always... fresh ... shall we say, and if all else fails you can stuff it full of clothes.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back