• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do i need to plan?! Advice

lynda2017

Time of past OR future Camino
start end aug 2017
Hello there,
I recently quite my job after a stressful year or 2, I am doing the camino starting late aug 2017. I am hoping to find some peace and maybe some new direction in life/time to reflect as I don't think i will return to my stressful profession so am trying to be open to opportunities.

I have a tendency to over plan and have been told time and time again that I need to live in the moment and not overanalyse the future and I agree. I have booked flight to biarritz, assume dont need to book bus and train to SJPP but I still want to! I will book a hostel for SJPP, then also a hostel in Huntto (if they reply) as I have had a knee problem in past so want to split this first day.

I don't think I need to book any other places... I do want to try and stay in donation only hostels so will try to compile a list of these.

-what is appropriate donation for these hostels?

-do most hostels have plenty plugs for charging? I am going to be wearing fitbit to use to estimate walking distances but not worth taking if difficult to find plugs everywhere

-I have seen chat on some threads about some parts of the way have 2 options for the route, can someone advise me where these are so I am not caught out?

-Also are there any other days which are long due to lack of accom (except for first day)? It would be handy to know these.

-I will fly from Glasgow but can return to Scotland or London, just wondering what people did about getting home, did you book flight in advance? I plan to finish when I finish really but don't want to finish much later than mid oct

-finally, do most people just fly with hand luggage and buy any small items they need like nailscissors in SJPP?

-i have footprint focus andy symington guide, worth taking?

I want to try to do minimum planning but know I should do a little.

Thanks for any advice, I hope I can relax on the camino as I really need this. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

-do most hostels have plenty plugs for charging?

-I have seen chat on some threads about some parts of the way have 2 options for the route, can someone advise me where these are so I am not caught out?

-Also are there any other days which are long due to lack of accom (except for first day)?
Let's see...

In a donativo albergue the appropriate donation is the same amount you would have paid formthe same service elsewhere. And in my mind a bit extra to contribute to the operations so that the albergue can keep inviting in those who cannot pay or pay very little. 20€ is about standard: 10€ formthe bed, 10€ for dinner and somesort of breakfast.

Electric outlets are not an issue. Many of the new albergues even have an outlet by each bunk.

Detours: too many to get into. Just bring a guidebook, they should be in there. If in doubt, just pick one set of arrows and go.

Longest stretch without stops would be 17km or so from Carrion de los condes, but the food truck might be there as well as the little pop up cantine. Also the stretch into Najera, which is 15km or so. Bring a guidebook, it's all in there.

I see that Anemone has answered some of your questions, while I've been writing away, but I'll go ahead and add my comments...

-what is appropriate donation for these hostels? - What you can afford, recognizing that volunteers are contributing time and effort to your comfort, and if you don't contribute enough, others will have to make up this difference in maintenance cost. Many of us who "can afford" regular albergues (or more) think one should pay at least the same amount, i.e. 10-20 Euros, depending on whether you have a dinner and breakfast.

-do most hostels have plenty plugs for charging? I am going to be wearing fitbit to use to estimate walking distances but not worth taking if difficult to find plugs everywhere - Plugs are generally available, but it is good to take a charger that will allow at least 2 USB cables to charge at the same time. Then you can share. Do not leave valuable devices unattended, ever.

-I have seen chat on some threads about some parts of the way have 2 options for the route, can someone advise me where these are so I am not caught out? - If you look at one of the common guides the routes will be shown. If you are following yellow arrows or scallop shells, you are on one of the paths to Santiago.

-Also are there any other days which are long due to lack of accom (except for first day)? It would be handy to know these. - Again, reviewing the maps in a guide book would be helpful. The stretch from Carrion de los Condes to Ledigos is 17 km with no facilities at all, except a couple of picnic benches to sit on.

-I will fly from Glasgow but can return to Scotland or London, just wondering what people did about getting home, did you book flight in advance? I plan to finish when I finish really but don't want to finish much later than mid oct - I travel from Canada, so I don't really have the option of not booking my return flight. So, I estimate the time I need, add a few days of buffer, and hope for the best. Coming from Glasgow, you would probably have more flexibility.

-finally, do most people just fly with hand luggage and buy any small items they need like nailscissors in SJPP? - That is what many people do, same as travelling anywhere. Others check a disposable bag/package containing their sharp items and walking poles, and carry on their backpack with everything else. Regular walking poles will most likely not be allowed on board, folding walking sticks are often allowed (but only at the discretion of the security agent at the time), and no type of pole is EVER allowed on the flight home from Santiago.

-i have footprint focus andy symington guide, worth taking? - Since several of the above questions, and many more you haven't thought of, can be answered from a guide book, I would say yes, take one! (Or, is taking a guide book or application considered to be over planning? :rolleyes: )

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @lynda2017 -

I think a plan outline is good, full plan might be tough. Smart to book something in SJPDP but if you are looking to best break up the leg to Roncesvalles you might want to consider the Valcarlos route which becomes 2 13kms+/- days rather than the Napolean which with an overnight in Huntto would give you a 5km day and a 22km day ovedr the Pyrenees. Zubiri can be challenging to find a place too. Once you're past Pamplona things usually get a little easier for rooms/beds.

I've only stayed at one Donativo (in Granon) and it was a wonderful experience. I was happy to give generously. I'm not sure that there is an appropriate amount but I guess a starting point would be the average you'd pay at any Albergue 5-10 Euros for most Municipal Albergues I think is a fair range.

Lots of power plugs but never a bad idea to babysit your charging items as some have grown legs and walked their own Camino. You'll also need an adapter for the plugs.

Hard to answer about accommodation because in August you may be walking with many people around you so your 1st (or 2nd or 3rd...) Albergue option may not be available. However things just seem to work out for the best on the Camino so try not to worry too much about this.

I'm not familiar with your guide book but probably as good as any of them. If you want an option to shave a few grams you can also get an app on your phone (I have Wise Pilgrim) and it does a fine job of giving the big picture. Combine that with a list I received of Albergues along the way from the Pilgrim Office in SJPDP it was more than enough to get me through to SDC.

Good luck with the planning you need to do and I hope you are able to realize into your Camino and go with the flow!
Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with a well thought out and researched plan, with that being said during day one the Camino throw it out the window and guided me to the plan and lessons the Camino wanted to give me. Yes it's good to plan but the Camino might change that plan for a reason

Hello there,
I recently quite my job after a stressful year or 2, I am doing the camino starting late aug 2017. I am hoping to find some peace and maybe some new direction in life/time to reflect as I don't think i will return to my stressful profession so am trying to be open to opportunities.

I have a tendency to over plan and have been told time and time again that I need to live in the moment and not overanalyse the future and I agree. I have booked flight to biarritz, assume dont need to book bus and train to SJPP but I still want to! I will book a hostel for SJPP, then also a hostel in Huntto (if they reply) as I have had a knee problem in past so want to split this first day.

I don't think I need to book any other places... I do want to try and stay in donation only hostels so will try to compile a list of these.

-do most hostels have plenty plugs for charging? I am going to be wearing fitbit to use to estimate walking distances but not worth taking if difficult to find plugs everywhere

-Also are there any other days which are long due to lack of accom (except for first day)? It would be handy to know these.

-I will fly from Glasgow but can return to Scotland or London, just wondering what people did about getting home, did you book flight in advance? I plan to finish when I finish really but don't want to finish much later than mid oct

-finally, do most people just fly with hand luggage and buy any small items they need like nailscissors in SJPP?

Thanks for any advice, I hope I can relax on the camino as I really need this. :)
You'll do fine with a good guide book listing albergues and describing distances between villages as well as water and alternate routes. My advice is to have faith that you will find places to stay, food you need, and friendship when desired along the way. I just walked the Camino in May and I never booked ahead, always had a place to stay and as long as I had bread, nuts and a piece of fruit with me i was OK. Enjoy this time to think about your life and how you want it to look in your future. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a lot of advice given above, the planning stage of any camino is fun but can be too restricting, just think of everyday as an adventure and not knowing what's around the corner can be exciting. Just remember that you may walk alone but you'll never be alone and whatever happens just go with the flow.
Have a wonderful journey and throw caution to the wind.

There is a lot of advice given above, the planning stage of any camino is fun but can be too restricting, just think of everyday as an adventure and not knowing what's around the corner can be exciting. Just remember that you may walk alone but you'll never be alone and whatever happens just go with the flow.
Have a wonderful journey and throw caution to the wind.
Couldn't agree more! Common sense and a bit of research into the historical elements on the way will stand you in good stead.

Some albergues don't accept reservations. Too easy for a pilgrim to have inaccurate ideas of his/her kilometers/day.

Some have plenty of outlets, some have none. One had four outlets, only reachable over the first guy in the room, who of course picked that bunk.

Inthe albergue I spent several months in, pilgrims were always plugging things in and walking away. No one in the four or five months I was there ever complained of anything stolen. But when I was at another albergue, some one stole my charger..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One thing to add, Huntto is 'only' 5km after SJPdP making that day a very short stage, try instead to get a reservation at Orrisson which will break up the stage SJPdP > Roncesvalles a bit better imo. But by all means, if you can get a bed in Orrisson (you DO need a reservation there!) go with Huntto. Buen Camino, SY

Whoa. Get here. Your lfe will change. Planing is just that. EVERYTHING changes. Walk where and how you want!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would endorse SY's suggestion re Orrison. Its a bugger of a climb on your first day. You can email them (if you have some French it is appreciated). If you cannot get a bed at Orrison consider the valley route - its any easier first day to Valcarlos; but day 2 still has a climb from 350 metres to over 1050 metres - plus you have a few km walking beside a main road. There is one advantage of breaking the first stage into two parts - you should arrive in Roncsvalles well before opening time and thus be amongst the 183 who can be accommodated. If there are problems getting a bed there, its about 6.8km to Espinal where I recommend Haizea. As stated earlier after Pamplona accommodation option increase and you can readjust your days to suit.
One other small piece of advice - the Camino does not promise to "clear your head/mind" in terms of career options, but it will help with your physical fitness and probably double your friends on Facebook - more free beds if want to travel!!?? Buen Camino:):D

One other small piece of advice - the Camino does not promise to "clear your head/mind" in terms of career options, but it will help with your physical fitness and probably double your friends on Facebook - more free beds if want to travel!!??
It may well make you realise you need a job that pays more and offers more paid holidays so you can come back and walk year after year. :D

Hi lynda2017
I too over plan and over think. Just do it. Chuck out stuff you don't need like the Fitbit, prepare very well what you decide to take then just do it. I did and it's very liberating; there'll be the odd problem but you'll soon adjust and have fun. Good Luck.
Ultreïa

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello there,

You have a condition common in "Western culture".
It's called, IneedtoknowbecauseIdon'tlikesurprisesandbyplanningevdrysecondofmydayIremaininabsutecontrol.
The cure for which is to leave your device at home (where you won't need a charger), walk every day with a prayer and the mantra, I am open to what the Camino provides and I will be ok.
Yes, really. I walked sans device but with my ukulele.
I planned nothing and took my time.
The best is to just let go, take deep breaths when you get anxious about not knowing. Drop the expectations.
We have been on Earth for tens of thousands of years. We survived very well on very little.
It's gonna be great! Relax...
Buen Camino

Control is an illusion. Make your plans and expect them to not work.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi
Lynda2017! I enjoy planning and looking at all the options. I found a happy medium most days on the Camino by doing some planning--usually only one or two days out--and then found flexibility when we wanted to change. As suggested above, we always gave 20 Euros person at each donativo. At some places we gave a little more when we knew there were some staying who could not give anything or very little.

You can take the bus or train into SJPDP or you can engage Express Bourricot which is a shared ride service from the airport into town. You must do this in advance so it will help you with your desire to plan.

I also have sore knees so I would consider using one or two hiking poles on your trip over the Route Napoleon. The worst part for my knees was coming down and I suggest you take the "alternate route" down. It is easy to miss the turn off so inquire about it at the Pilgrim office.
Janet

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For what it's worth, I only planned the first 5 days/nights plus my return flight home. I booked, and sometimes prepaid (cancelable and refundable), SJPDP, Orisson, Roncesvalles and Zubiri. I figure that having these first days already planned out, I make it easy on my jet-lagged self.
After that, I plan to gather enough local knowledge to wing it the rest of the way. Adventure!

Hello there,

I booked a taxi from Biarritz to St Jean, Express Bouricott, and booked Orisson for my first stop. For me Orisson was the best choice. I have read recently that in the busier months, you should also book Roncesvalles in advance. After that, my only plan was to keep putting one foot in front of the other. No return flights. I booked that about a week before Santiago. Meant I could walk as slowly as suited me and take short days when I fancied. You can fly Ryanair to Stanstead then on to Scotland or Aerlingus to Dublin then on to Scotland, lots of options. You will of course pay a bit more booking relatively last minute but it is worth it to not have a deadline hanging round your neck. Donativo is a persona decision. If its a particularly good albergue with a good communal meal, I work on what I would have paid in a pay for albergue and menu de peregrino so between €20-22. Regular pay fors average €8-10 but you may find it difficult to always find donativos. Charging points? You pays your money and you take your chance. Some are good others may have only one or two for a large dorm. Options are not usually a problem, just follow the arrows, you will get there. But if you want to know in advance, buy a guide and study it. The shop attached to this forum has a couple at the minute and they come with free credencials. Personally, I stick my rucksack in the hold so I can bring my walking poles and knife. I found the price for decent poles a bit dearer than bringing my own. Had to replace one last time and bought a cheap one in Pamplona. Not as good as the ones I bought in Lidl which lasted me years. I do the minimum of planning, never use baggage transport as I cant change my mind if I want to, never book ahead and only a couple of times allowed myself the luxury of a hostal rather than albergues. So dont give in to your tendencies, leave the planning behind and surrender to chance

You will be traveling the Camino in September for the most part. At that time there are a lot of pilgrims and finding accommodations may not be as easy as at other times the of the year!

Many folks going to Roncevalles send their pack ahead.

I am an unapologetic planner. I do not like the crowds in September or waiting for a half an hour on a line to order a cup of coffee...Or to use a bathroom. Or making calls to numerous places to find that they are full...

Having done one camino in September, I prefer March and April. In the early Spring, although fewer establishments are open, coming in without accommodations in major towns is not an issue!

I go into towns with knowledge of where the bars, restaurants, banks and supermarkets are. I make up a small little book with my own maps . I book the first town, the starting point, of my camino in advance, and the last section from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela.
Last year we entered Santiago during Semana Santa which was during the first third of April and some towns had no availability! No matter when, I head out each day with a destination in mind and a place to stay!
I do not judge others who prefer to wing it! Good for them!! But I enjoy peace of mind and can let go, knowing I do not have to rush, or go out too early, or scramble to get a place to stay!

We can all tell you what we would recommend...but ultimately you need to know yourself and your tolerance level for uncertainty. There is nothing wrong with planning if you need it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do not judge others who prefer to wing it! Good for them!! But I enjoy peace of mind and can let go, knowing I do not have to rush, or go out too early, or scramble to get a place to stay! … There is nothing wrong with planning if you need it!
I used to plan a lot. Or rather, try to. But it seems I am incapable of it. So I've had to learn to just enjoy (or complain about) the surprises. Today, a website said that EVERY albergue in Santiago was full, and all those I checked with confirmed it. But the website didn't say anything about the Polish place outside of town. So I biked out there (four or five kilometers) to find a sign "cerrado por reformaciones." On the way back, took a picture of a "tenda do Monica" because Monica was my late wife’s name. She was Polish, by the way. Then walked into the first albergue I saw on the way back. "¿Hay sitio?" Yep, they had just had a cancellation. Also, I biked around Santiago from two AM till about eight. I came in at two on a bus because the trains were full the day I had to be here. And about the middle of the day, I realized I was a day early!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back