• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I pack it, or don’t I?

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
My sixth camino is fast approaching and I am having a problem with a few items :(. Do I pack it, or don’t I? I put it in, and next day I take it out. Then I put it in . . . . then take it out. This is driving me bonkers. It’s not as though I’m new at this :D! You’d think I’d’ve worked it out by now :confused:.

To put things into context, I will be starting in France (at Le Verdon-sur-Mer near Bordeaux) on 22 Sep, walking the Voie Littorale to Irun (2 - 3 weeks), then onto the Norte to Santiago.

I think I know what the problem is: it’s the first couple of weeks in France. Lots of access to beaches, but a change of season (end of summer), and few (if any) albergues.

So, the offending items are:

Swimming costume – am I likely to use it or not? After all, I shall be following the coastline the whole way, and I love swimming. However, one year I carried it all the way from Le Puy-en-Velay to Santiago and used it once! (But that one long lazy afternoon by the pool in the campsite at Aire-sur-l’Adour was one of the best days . . . . . :rolleyes:)

Electric coil for boiling water – I wouldn’t dream of taking this on the CF, but I know I will use it every day while in France, where a cup of coffee can cost twice as much as in Spain. But what about the next six weeks from Irun? I’ll then be in albergues or pensions most nights, with a café/bar on the corner. 200g is a lot of additional weight to carry for 6 weeks and not use. Has anybody else taken their electric coil with them on the Norte :cool:?

Sleeping bag liner – I will have my light sleeping bag with me, which is good on its own in spring, summer and autumn. In another thread I posted about my “poncho tent”, so I can stay in campsites and save on hotel costs in France. I always carry a space blanket for emergencies. But it could be chilly end of Sep / beginning of Oct, and if I’m sleeping outside my light sleeping bag may not be warm enough, and I’ll need the liner as well. Or will my fleece jacket be enough to wear at night, with the space blanket lightly over me? But then again, the liner could come in useful at the Xunta albergues in Nov where there are no blankets. I should add that my sleeping bag is washable, so I don’t usually carry a sleeping bag and a liner :).

Windproof jacket – this folds up tiny, and weighs only 50g, but do I really need to take it? It’s not waterproof and has no warmth, but it’s fantastic as a windproof, and I’ll be on the coast where it could well be windy. I’ll be taking my poncho and a fleece jacket, so do I really need this in the top pocket of my pack as well o_O?

Oh, decisions, decisions :(.

Jill

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Swimming costume – Do you have a bra/underwear combination that could pass as a bikini? Then take that, if not take a swimming costume and ditch it when the weather gets too cold.

Electric coil for boiling water – Take it as long/far as you need it and ditch/donate it. Unless it is a designer item, it is hardly a major investment ;-)

Sleeping bag liner – In your specific situation, I would take it. Is it silk? If yes the weight will be bearable ;-)

Windproof jacket – Only 50g Take It!

Buen Camino, SY

My sixth camino is fast approaching and I am having a problem with a few items :(. Do I pack it, or don’t I? I put it in, and next day I take it out. Then I put it in . . . . then take it out. This is driving me bonkers. It’s not as though I’m new at this :D! You’d think I’d’ve worked it out by now :confused:.

To put things into context, I will be starting in France (at Le Verdon-sur-Mer near Bordeaux) on 22 Sep, walking the Voie Littorale to Irun (2 - 3 weeks), then onto the Norte to Santiago.

I think I know what the problem is: it’s the first couple of weeks in France. Lots of access to beaches, but a change of season (end of summer), and few (if any) albergues.

Swimming costume – am I likely to use it or not? After all, I shall be following the coastline the whole way, and I love swimming. However, one year I carried it all the way from Le Puy-en-Velay to Santiago and used it once! (But that one long lazy afternoon by the pool in the campsite at Aire-sur-l’Adour was one of the best days . . . . . :rolleyes:)

Electric coil for boiling water – I wouldn’t dream of taking this on the CF, but I know I will use it every day while in France, where a cup of coffee can cost twice as much as in Spain. But what about the next six weeks from Irun? I’ll then be in albergues or pensions most nights, with a café/bar on the corner. 200g is a lot of additional weight to carry for 6 weeks and not use. Has anybody else taken their electric coil with them on the Norte :cool:?

Sleeping bag liner – I will have my light sleeping bag with me, which is good on its own in spring, summer and autumn. In another thread I posted about my “poncho tent”, so I can stay in campsites and save on hotel costs in France. I always carry a space blanket for emergencies. But it could be chilly end of Sep / beginning of Oct, and if I’m sleeping outside my light sleeping bag may not be warm enough, and I’ll need the liner as well. Or will my fleece jacket be enough to wear at night, with the space blanket lightly over me? But then again, the liner could come in useful at the Xunta albergues in Nov where there are no blankets. I should add that my sleeping bag is washable, so I don’t usually carry a sleeping bag and a liner :).

Windproof jacket – this folds up tiny, and weighs only 50g, but do I really need to take it? It’s not waterproof and has no warmth, but it’s fantastic as a windproof, and I’ll be on the coast where it could well be windy. I’ll be taking my poncho and a fleece jacket, so do I really need this in the top pocket of my pack as well o_O?

Jill
Swimming is it burka like or just as good as your birthday suit? If it is not a 1/2 pound your good

Coil there is enough kitchens & your not from England

Liner no

Light coat does it breath better than the poncho? Are you simply better looking wearing it? If so take it

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When you arrive in Spain from your walk in France think about mailing the stuff you know you won't need any longer to Ivar in Santiago or to the Santiago main Correos - within Spain the cost to mail a package isn't much. I LOVE the folks at the Correos!! Some may not smile a lot, but they are always helpful - in my experiences! Conversely, mail (within France at the beginning of your chemin) the stuff you know you won't use during that walk to Irun.

The main Spanish Correos (Plaza de Cibeles) advised me one time to mail to myself to the receiving correos and use the same info as my return address. Add in parentheses peregrino/a, and, at least in Spain, your package will be kept for some time! It's worked for me at least 3 or 4 times - twice from Madrid to Carrion, Sahagun, and Leon.
Buen Camino!

Swimming costume – Do you have a bra/underwear combination that could pass as a bikini? Then take that, if not take a swimming costume and ditch it when the weather gets too cold.

Electric coil for boiling water – Take it as long/far as you need it and ditch/donate it. Unless it is a designer item, it is hardly a major investment ;-)

Sleeping bag liner – In your specific situation, I would take it. Is it silk? If yes the weight will be bearable ;-)

Windproof jacket – Only 50g Take It!

Buen Camino, SY

Agree with all the above! I have the same type of windproof jacket and it's very useful. So light it's definitively worth taking.
Yes to the liner! Especially as you are camping. I used both in the tent.
I made the mistake of bringing a swimsuit this camino, dead weight, didn't need it. On previous walks I swam in my underwear (with a light t-shirt on top).
My only problem is the coil: very useful I agree but when camping, where will you plug it? :confused:

Buen camino :)

I think I would be arrested if I appeared on the beach in my sexy (ha, ha!) bra and dinky undies. I rummaged around in the cupboard, and found an old, badly fitting (but fitting my age), swimming costume. Decided to take that and toss it when no longer needed :); so I put it in the pack, but then took it out again o_O, as great idea :rolleyes:!, I could wear a thin hiking t-shirt over sexy :p bra and dinky undies instead.

When staying in campsites I could plug the electric coil into any publicly available socket (e.g. the laundry room or ablution block), but it’s not an option to toss it, as you can’t buy them in South Africa. And many overseas online retailers won’t post here :mad: as too many of their packages go missing. I use the coil here too while travelling around (the previous one burnt out when I left it plugged in and nearly set fire to the whole resort :oops:), so I don’t want to lose it, and they are not so easy to find in Europe while on camino trails. I like the suggestion of posting it on to Santiago after I’ve left France ;).

The liner weighs 200g . . . the jury is still out on that one.

I look awful in the windproof jacket (it’s bright luminous purple :D, don’t ask me why, it’s the only one they had in the store), so I will definitely not be wearing it to the Ritz for dinner :cool:, but it will certainly come in handy if it’s windy (and cold), but not raining. I think that’s probably staying in.

Thanks guys! :):):)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Instead of a heavy electric coil how about purchasing a lightweight backpacker's stove and buy the fuel canisters at outdoor shops on your Camino route? The hardware for the stove is supremely light. The example below is 85g without the fuel canister. This way you also have no issues with finding a power source (current bush anyone?:p).
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4015-419/PocketRocket-Stove
That way you can have your hot cuppa whenever you do desire.

Instead of a heavy electric coil how about purchasing a lightweight backpacker's stove and buy the fuel canisters at outdoor shops on your Camino route? The hardware for the stove is supremely light. The example below is 85g without the fuel canister. This way you also have no issues with finding a power source (current bush anyone?:p).
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4015-419/PocketRocket-Stove
That way you can have your hot cuppa whenever you do desire.
That is a very good suggestion as the canisters come in small approx 4 days of cooking 3 meals for 2,so would last much longer. Medium canister almost 8 day the largest never have packed. If the OP is interested I can weigh the canisters & my very small Stove. Just a warning never use in your tent. Besides all those bears in France might join you. :cool: Down side is the canisters may not make it thru the checked luggage but they must sell them in France. I may have to consider this for my next Camino to boil eggs for breakfast on the Madrid to Leon to Ovidio to Santiago. You gave me something to research to see the availability in Spain.
Keith

I think I would be arrested if I appeared on the beach in my sexy (ha, ha!) bra and dinky undies. I rummaged around in the cupboard, and found an old, badly fitting (but fitting my age), swimming costume. Decided to take that and toss it when no longer needed :); so I put it in the pack, but then took it out again o_O, as great idea :rolleyes:!, I could wear a thin hiking t-shirt over sexy :p bra and dinky undies instead.

When staying in campsites I could plug the electric coil into any publicly available socket (e.g. the laundry room or ablution block), but it’s not an option to toss it, as you can’t buy them in South Africa. And many overseas online retailers won’t post here :mad: as too many of their packages go missing. I use the coil here too while travelling around (the previous one burnt out when I left it plugged in and nearly set fire to the whole resort :oops:), so I don’t want to lose it, and they are not so easy to find in Europe while on camino trails. I like the suggestion of posting it on to Santiago after I’ve left France ;).

The liner weighs 200g . . . the jury is still out on that one.

I look awful in the windproof jacket (it’s bright luminous purple :D, don’t ask me why, it’s the only one they had in the store), so I will definitely not be wearing it to the Ritz for dinner :cool:, but it will certainly come in handy if it’s windy (and cold), but not raining. I think that’s probably staying in.

Thanks guys! :):):)
At least the drivers will see you if your crossing the street.
I use my hairy old body to chase off anyone in good swimming holes. Or if I need a bath.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I checked the Decathlon website and they carry canisters. You would not be able to pack them in your luggage. This is something you have to buy at destination and dispose of the canisters before you fly back home.

I take swimming costume that can double as underwear rather than other way around and then wear the T-shirt of the day as it will need washing anyway. After leaving half my pack contents in SdeC to walk to Finisterre last year I vowed to only ever walk with a 5kg weight in future (must remember this!!) so anything that can fulfill more than one use is a winner.

I take swimming suit no weight to it. I use it in pools along the way. I have a bright pink rain jacket which folds into a small drawstring bag. I tie it on to my backpack. I've never wore it but my husband has out of handiness and didn't care about the bright pink as he says noone knows him and walking back paths only other pilgrims see him and they'll hardly care if he looks silly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Instead of a heavy electric coil how about purchasing a lightweight backpacker's stove and buy the fuel canisters at outdoor shops on your Camino route?
Before going with a canister stove check out this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/buying-camper-stove-fuel-on-the-trail.42513/

The problem is one type of canister is plentiful in France and another in Spain and a cheaper third type has some safety issues. I made a number of posts to that thread as I learned new things. The last post is the best one but the earlier ones may be useful too.

Last edited:

Jill
Jill.. YES to all of these items. You could also get a water proof windproof jacket. Light, effective and very useful. Importantly: make sure you are warm and dry. Does a lot for one's well-being. I love a good morning coffee :). And if you can save a few cents making your own, go for it. Money saved in the pocket is very comforting, motivating and gives you that extra bounce as you go along. Its true !! I limit my clothing to two sets ONLY, but underwear and socks... NO COMPROMISE. I have to change them every day. You can carry 3-4 clothes pegs, hand wash your stuff, and on a sunny day, clip them on to the backpack and walk. They'd be good and dry in no time and you have the head start that you've got clean stuff with you. Buen Camino :), Caesar

Jill.. YES to all of these items. You could also get a water proof windproof jacket. Light, effective and very useful. Importantly: make sure you are warm and dry. Does a lot for one's well-being. I love a good morning coffee :). And if you can save a few cents making your own, go for it. Money saved in the pocket is very comforting, motivating and gives you that extra bounce as you go along. Its true !! I limit my clothing to two sets ONLY, but underwear and socks... NO COMPROMISE. I have to change them every day. You can carry 3-4 clothes pegs, hand wash your stuff, and on a sunny day, clip them on to the backpack and walk. They'd be good and dry in no time and you have the head start that you've got clean stuff with you. Buen Camino :), Caesar

well folks, I carry big safety pins rather than pegs. Work the same (nappy pins are good) and weigh less. Even little safety pins work as nifty pegs

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love how everyone has a different opinion!
I say no to the extra jacket and coil (but I don't drink coffee) and yes to the silk liner and togs (unless you're comfortable in undies and a tshirt)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.