• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I push back my Camino from March to May?

Bauer6408

Time of past OR future Camino
March, 2015
Hello all!

I have been saving to do the Camino for my 30th birthday (March 26), and was all set to go, but now I'm getting nervous about the weather. I had planned to go the 19-31 of March (yes, I know that's in two weeks), but now am wondering if I should wait to go until mid-May for better weather. (I can only get 2 weeks off from work, so am walking from Ponferrada to Santiago.)

I'll be going on my own, and while I want some time on my own, I would also like to meet other people and experience that aspect of it. I planned to book my flight today (having been told about 2 weeks ahead is the cheapest if flying from the US), but now don't know what to do.

Also, in either case, I have a pair of large, sturdy North Face hiking boots. They are the real deal. But I also worry they may be a little too much--they're a little heavy. Should I go for something closer to a tennis shoe if I'm only going for two weeks, or do I stick with the hiking boots?

Thanks, everyone!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have to check with someone else on weather but i'm leaving SJPDP on about May 18th :D

For long hikes I personally don't like big boots but really it depends on what you're used to. If you know you can do 35 KMs in a day in those boots and not get blisters then you'll likely be fine.

You are just suffering from normal Camino nervousness ;) The weather is always a mix of luck and preparing for the worst. You can be lucky and have beautiful weather in March or be unlucky and have horrible weather in May. Even in March there are plenty of people on that stretch of the CF, so you will rarely feel lonely. As for boots, take those that feel comfortable to your feet, nothing else matters. Buen Camino! SY

Hello all!

I have been saving to do the Camino for my 30th birthday (March 26), and was all set to go, but now I'm getting nervous about the weather. I had planned to go the 19-31 of March (yes, I know that's in two weeks), but now am wondering if I should wait to go until mid-May for better weather. (I can only get 2 weeks off from work, so am walking from Ponferrada to Santiago.)

I'll be going on my own, and while I want some time on my own, I would also like to meet other people and experience that aspect of it. I planned to book my flight today (having been told about 2 weeks ahead is the cheapest if flying from the US), but now don't know what to do.

Also, in either case, I have a pair of large, sturdy North Face hiking boots. They are the real deal. But I also worry they may be a little too much--they're a little heavy. Should I go for something closer to a tennis shoe if I'm only going for two weeks, or do I stick with the hiking boots?

Thanks, everyone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Steady on pilgrim! Bauer6408 your dates are good, you won't be alone in any sense of the word at this time of the year. That nervy, breathless, distracted feeling is actually excitement-scary, giddy excitement-but still mostly excitement. And you know how to handle excitement……just enjoy it ;) Your head is doing what it should acting as a firewall for anything new, strange unchartered or different. And it's doing a really good job so say thank you….. and now listen to your heart and gut (yes I know your heart is probably a bit fluttery and your tummy may be feeling sort of shaky but that's just the pilgrim giddiness). Listen to those pilgrims coming 'off the hill' down into to Ponferrada, where your journey begins, and take advantage of their experiences. By the time you get to O'Cebriero you will have made friends, even become part of a little pack or troop if you want to, so IF the weather is a little bit tricky, you'll have others to consult with and decide if you have to walk along the main road rather than on the track. You'll be walking at one of the most beautiful times of the year late March into April. All will be well and remember those pilgrims on the road ahead of you…... well they're just friends you haven't met yet. The only downside is that I, and everyone else on this forum who isn't setting off on the 26th, are going to be feeling a bit jealous….actually a lot jealous :D .
Go well
N

Last edited:
We'll be walking through Ponferrada in a couple of days. Our weather since Leon has been sunny, not a cloud in the sky, and about 16 degrees... every day! That being said, we're prepared for rain.
Don't worry about the weather. It could be pouring rain in May!
Buen Camino!

Ron and Michele

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You will be fine; leave as planned. Unless you have trained really long in those boots I would replace them with something light.

Thinking of fears and anxieties the following quote comes to mind:

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity.” Paul Coelho
As others have stated better than I could, prepare for the poor weather and enjoy each step on a Way that millions have walked before you. You join a pilgrimage ages old and all those who have gone before you support you, pray for you, and are eager for you to join the family of Camino pilgrims.

Hello all!

Thanks, everyone!
Hi Bauer6408
Just adding a couple more thoughts for you... I'm a huge fan of walking in the winter months. The Camino is 'yours' when you want it to be but even in January and February I had other around to spend time with, make communal dinners with, etc in the evenings. Because many Albergues are closed in the winter months it actually helps bring people together more!
As for boots, if you're concerned there are many options as you've seen already. For my liking, I use Lowa mid cut boots. They are very light but waterproof and have a great vibram sole for when you do come across wet, slippery, icy or snowy conditions which you're likely to see in March. The best part about these boots is that they don't really need any breaking in. I'm on my second pair now and right out of the box they are great! If you walk in them for a couple of weeks your feet will seat in the insoles and you'll have warm, dry feet. My thought about wearing only shoes is that you may find times when you're ankle deep in either snow up on O'Cebrieo or creeks overflowing throughout Galicia.
Whichever way and whenever you go, I hope it's a great trip for you!
Buen Camino!
Jordon

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello all!

Thanks, everyone!
Bauer6408,

I am starting my first Camino on 29 March -- will travel by train from Brussels to SJPdP on the 28th -- hope to see you on the trail -- I will be the guy wearing the Red Nebraska Hat -- I am wearing Lowa Renegade Mid-Height Boots -- I am a boot person -- I guess the key for boots or shoes is that your feet and body are used to walking in them while wearing your pack -- BTW what a great Birthday present to yourself -- see you on the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back