• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I really need a phone on the Camino? And other phone ?s

WayWalker63

This may have been asked before but do I really need a phone on the Camino?

I bought a pre-paid phone from Tesco last year when I went to Ireland and used it maybe 2-3x. I kept in touch with people back home through Facebook on my iPad when I had wi-fi availability, which was most the time I wasn't driving.

I will be bringing my iPad or maybe a mini with me, as my older eyes don't like the smaller screen of my iPhone as well. And I love to read just before I go to sleep each night or listen to a Yoga Nidra Meditation or music to relax. Also to up load my photos incase my camera gets lost or broken.

Initially I will be walking on my own.

If you think I should bring a phone should I:

1) Bring my Tesco phone ( simple basic phone) and get a new SIM card and adapter for the plug?

Or
2) Bring my current iPhone 4S (knowing me I'll have a newer verision by then) unllocked and just get a SIM card and of course the adapter for the plug?

Or
3) bring what ever my current phone is and just turn on the international plans for roaming? My carrier will most likely be AT&T. I may need to bring this anyway since I would need it before I leave the US or on more likely on the return trip.

Or

4) ? Other?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and tips.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
WayWalker63 said:
This may have been asked before but do I really need a phone on the Camino? I bought a pre-paid phone from Tesco last year when I went to Ireland and used it maybe 2-3x. I kept in touch with people back home through Facebook on my iPad when I had wi-fi availability, which was most the time I wasn't driving.
Use your 'phone with a Spanish SIM-card (you can choose between Movistar, Vodafone, Orange, etc. from 10 Euros) for emergencies and accommodation reservations. iPod, iPad, iPhone, etc. will work, some need WiFi (weefee), and use Skype for out of country calls. It's the cheapest way when you have internet connection. On the Camino Francés most albergues, hostals, hotels, bars, restaurants have WiFi. Bibliotecas in towns have free internet facilities. :wink:

Actually, I would have to say: "Do I really need a phone?" Period. If there is one place to be "disconnected" surely it is the Camino. Just because far too many people these days need to check their e-mail and facebook while walking a pilgrimage route which even predates pilgrimage route. Do you really have to be one of them? Do you want to dilute your Camino with contacts from others who cannot even imagine what you are experiencing?

I walked three Caminos when there wasn´t an internet cafe in sight. It might not have been a medieval pilgrimage but I am grateful for it nonetheless. On my last Camino in 2009 I had a phone at the insistance of my daughter. Most of the time in Portugal I was out of range or it was too expensive (or I ended up paying for half of the cost of people phoning me) or I couldn´t top up my credit, or... In short it became a pain in the ass!
Be brave (and save electricity at the albergues --- they´ll love you for it.)
Ultreia y Suseya!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think that to only reasons I might want a phone, except emergencies,1) is to call ahead to a hotel or Albergue, 2) for the U.S. portion of my return trip to let my bf (my ride home) know of any delays etc. 3) to call a taxi if I just run out of steam and am in between towns. (No I won't 'cheat', I'll just go back to where it picked me up the next morning.)

Actually when I've listed those reasons I've made a pretty good case to bring a phone. And to keep from carrying 2 I'll just bring what ever my current phone is and either get it unlocked before I go or activate an international plan/s.

I really don't feel the need to disconnect from the world, I happen to like it. I also like to share my experience with others even if they can't understand fully what I'm going through.

I might leave my camera home instead since I will have my iPhone (or similar) and my iPad (or mini) both of which have decent enough cameras. Wish they had a zoom, though.

My iphone 4S: how do I love thee? You are my camera, my map, my GPS guide, my foreign language dictionary, my bus schedule, my train schedule, my email, my blog poster, my personal journal, my medical reference. Not to mention, the darned thing makes phone calls home (to keep the spousal unit happy with my separate travel), calls for lodging reservations, and calls to emergency services when help is needed.

"Being connected" is not a binary (all-or-nothing) condition. Some people choose to not be connected at all, and are happy with that choice. Myself - I would be dead if not for my iphone (quite literally - bad accident while walking alone in the Czech Republic last year).

But, gram for gram, it is hard to beat a smartphone as a connection tool.

Thanks Kitsambler! Thanks for pointing out ways that I hadn't thought of to use a smartphone on the Camino. Neither my bf or I are big talkers so keeping in touch by way of Facebook, Facebook Messenger or email is good but the other things in the list would be very nice to have.

I have an iPhone 4S and your right I would be lost without it. My contract with AT&T will be up next March so depending on what Apple comes out with between now and then will be my new phone. I will either bring that or my iPhone 4S unlocked or the new phone.

If others want to use their time on the Camino to step away from technology then that's what they should do but I don't feel the need. I love sharing my travels with those who for one reason or another can do it themselves.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Waywalker63 wrote:
If others want to use their time on the Camino to step away from technology then that's what they should do but I don't feel the need. I love sharing my travels with those who for one reason or another can do it themselves.

Although in my mid-70's my smartphone has become something I carry with me and it has become something I and my family take as a matter of course. With the thousands of apps coming out every day it has apart from being able to phone and sending messages it also does other things Kitsambler mentions which he has found useful for the Camino.

I might leave my camera home instead since I will have my iPhone (or similar) and my iPad (or mini) both of which have decent enough cameras. Wish they had a zoom, though
The iPhone 4S has a very good camera, and you can (your wish is granted) get both an optical zoom and a wide-angle slip-on lens. The iPhone 5 has a better camera and you can use the digital zoom and because of its higher resolution you can use software to crop and cut portions of the photo to bring in the far object nearer with little loss in clarity if you do not want to use the optical zoom lens. (I presume you are not blowing up the picture for posters)

My family would not allow me to go cold turkey and go without my smartphone after being able to contact this old chap at all times for years, particularly leaving the phone when going overseas to a foreign speaking country alone.

I too would feel lost without it. Without the smart-phone I would have to look for a phone to contact them, I would have to depend on others to book ahead for a bed as this old chap does not fancy racing for a bed or carrying a tent and sleeping under the stars. This old chap without his smart-phone would have to carry a camera to show pictures to his family and friends and club. This computer literate old man would have to take his turn to use the computers in the albergue or library to download the pictures he took: to rebookand confirm his tickets; to do his electronic banking if funds are low; and not to do what a 10th century pilgrim would do.

Why deprive yourself of something which has become part and parcel of your daily life?

Thank you for putting in such an apt remark to those who uses the Camino to dis-connect, I am happy to share this electronic device should they need it when I am on the Camino Ingles next month.

Thanks Jalan, "Old Chap"

I have worked my way around to pretty much the same thinking. I will be bringing a Smartphone with me. For all the reasons you, Kitsambler and others have pointed out.

Yes, I know that for a 1000+ years pilgrims have walked the Camino without modern technology but I bet you dollars to doughnuts that they used whatever technology they had at the time.

I will also be bringing an iPad, iPad mini or a smaller tablet with me for the bigger screen for reading maps, books, and viewing photos. Haven't decided between those yet. I have an iPad now but might go with a mini or other smaller tablet for the lighter weight and smaller size. The mini might be more compatible with the technology I already have.

Thanks all of you for taking the time to help me sort out my thinking.

just to answer the question, "no".

I took my iphone4 with no SIM. I checked my email and uploaded all the photos I took onto the web. I could 'Facetime' my husband (able to see him and speak to him - like Skype but better), and Georgia "Facetimed' her girlfriends throughout the walk where she never saw other kids. Facetime ran through Facebook and wifi. I had access to my important people, gave anyone who was interested a dozen photos at a time to look at (so... could follow the stages of the pilgrimage with us), and used it as a camera.

And came home to NO BILL. Never had a SIM in. used all the available internet media for communication purposes, but mostly communicated with Georgia and people we met. But DON'T TAKE A SIM - there's absolutely no need ♥

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carry an unlocked iPhone 4s, and buy a local SIM card when I arrive. I use it more for internet in the evenings, sending emails and updating Facebook, etc. I often turn it off during the day. I also like to be able to access email because I send myself copies of my passport, insurance, etc. In the case of an emergency, I can access emergency info quickly. Plus, I can check flight status, delays, look up local restaurants, etc. If you have an iPhone, you really don't need to worry about an iPad or something larger.

Do you need to bring a cell phone? Probably not. If you are traveling on the CF, there will be many pilgrims who will have cell phones and can make calls for you in an emergency. Do you want to bring a cell phone? Depends. How much do you use it now? If you use it alot, you may feel uncomfortable without that connection. If you rarely use it, you may not even miss it. Especially if you are bringing other means of communication (iPad). I brought a Galaxy S4 with me and purchased a Spanish SIM card. Met all my cell phone needs. Plus, I had my iPad. I also brought a little pocket Pentax for photos (I didn't want to keep taking my phone out for all those spontaneous photo ops - dropping, dirt & dust, etc.)
I would probably do the same again.

I carry an unlocked iPhone 4s, and buy a local SIM card when I arrive. I use it more for internet in the evenings, sending emails and updating Facebook, etc. I often turn it off during the day. I also like to be able to access email because I send myself copies of my passport, insurance, etc. In the case of an emergency, I can access emergency info quickly. Plus, I can check flight status, delays, look up local restaurants, etc. If you have an iPhone, you really don't need to worry about an iPad or something larger.
Actually I do since I don't like reading on my iPhone. If I had to leave one of them at home it would be the phone. I will probably bring a phone, either an unlocked 4s or a Nokia pay as you go phone I got in Ireland last year. I will have to get a Spanish SIM for either and a new charger cord or adapter for the Nokia phone.
I am thinking about getting an iPad mini to bring instead of my iPad. Just waiting for the 2 to come out before I buy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This may have been asked before but do I really need a phone on the Camino?

2) Bring my current iPhone 4S (knowing me I'll have a newer verision by then) unllocked and just get a SIM card and of course the adapter for the plug?

Or
3) bring what ever my current phone is and just turn on the international plans for roaming? My carrier will most likely be AT&T. I may need to bring this anyway since I would need it before I leave the US or on more likely on the return trip.

Or

4) ? Other?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and tips.

First, have AT&T unlock your iPhone 4S, https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Second, get a Spanish SIM card http://tiendamoviles.tuenti.com/tarjeta-sim-prepago
http://www.tuenti.com/movil/puntos-de-venta for 12 euros you can use your iPhone like you would at home with 1GB of data and 50 local calling minutes and free incoming calls included.
I taped my US SIM card and a paper clip to remove/install SIM to a card in my wallet so I wouldn't lose it.

Third, don't bother with an international plan through AT&T, or any other US carrier for that matter, they are all a ripoff, it would be cheaper to buy a Spanish SIM than any "international plan."
Check out Ebay for the dual EU USB plug, you can charge both iPhone and iPad mini at the same time.

I carried an unlocked iPhone 5 with a Spanish SIM card with data, for the price of a bad pilgrim meal, I was able to use my iPhone like I would at home and only a few times I had to ask for the wifi password in the more remote areas of the Camino.
I took a lot of great photos with my iPhone and used the hell out of the panorama feature of the camera.

Last edited:
One of the only regrets I had after completing my Camino was that I brought my iPhone. In hindsight, I never needed it and it proved to be little more than a distraction. I did have to make one emergency phone call back to Canada when I was in Sarria, and did so from one of those Internet/phone cafes, but I'm sure the pension where I was staying would have let me use their phone in that circumstance. The Camino provides a rare opportunity to truly get away from it all, get off the technological grid for a few weeks. I wish I had seized that opportunity and left my smartphone at home.

My son may be maturing. This weekend he said, "Facebook is really irritating."

I responded, "Don't use it."

Ditto the cell phone in your backpack...;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can relate to that ,Falcon......both my sons did much the same,they opened their eyes.took off the blinkers,discovered the world is a wonderful place,experience isn't acquired through a stupid little screen.......:):)..........Vicrev

My iphone 4S: how do I love thee? You are my camera, my map, my GPS guide, my foreign language dictionary, my bus schedule, my train schedule, my email, my blog poster, my personal journal, my medical reference. Not to mention, the darned thing makes phone calls home (to keep the spousal unit happy with my separate travel), calls for lodging reservations, and calls to emergency services when help is needed.

"Being connected" is not a binary (all-or-nothing) condition. Some people choose to not be connected at all, and are happy with that choice. Myself - I would be dead if not for my iphone (quite literally - bad accident while walking alone in the Czech Republic last year).

But, gram for gram, it is hard to beat a smartphone as a connection tool.
I'm with you on this one Kit. Iphone has much more uses then just a phone.....Ed

I think I made the OP sometime last year. Don't know why it's showing up again now but no biggie.
I do plan on getting my 4S unlocked and getting Spanish SIM for it once I get to Spain. I can pre-load maps, use the GPS , call ahead if I'm going to be late getting in (since I walk slowly I won't be the 1st in line at the albergues each day) and I will just feel a little more secure if I'm walking alone and twist my ankle or something. I have a lot of music on my phone and if I'm walking alone it will Help to keep me moving. I'm not a big talker and have about 3 zillion rollover minutes on my phone plan, even with the smallest plan AT&T will let me get.
I will probably also bring an iPad mini. For reading - I read at least a little every night before turning over to go to sleep. It helps me clear my mine and relax my body. I will not be reading instead of socializing with fellow pilgrims, unless I'm with a group that just isn't sociable or something. Also the guidebook I'm planning on bringing is supposed to have an e book out soon if not already so the mini will be prefect for that.
For sharing photos with those back home. Also I'm thinking of blogging my Camino which will be easier from the mini than the iPhone.
I think it's great if others want no electronics on their Camino but that's just not me. What can I say I'm a gadget gal. :rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think I made the OP sometime last year. Don't know why it's showing up again now but no biggie.
I do plan on getting my 4S unlocked and getting Spanish SIM for it once I get to Spain. I can pre-load maps, use the GPS , call ahead if I'm going to be late getting in (since I walk slowly I won't be the 1st in line at the albergues each day) and I will just feel a little more secure if I'm walking alone and twist my ankle or something. I have a lot of music on my phone and if I'm walking alone it will Help to keep me moving. I'm not a big talker and have about 3 zillion rollover minutes on my phone plan, even with the smallest plan AT&T will let me get.
I will probably also bring an iPad mini. For reading - I read at least a little every night before turning over to go to sleep. It helps me clear my mine and relax my body. I will not be reading instead of socializing with fellow pilgrims, unless I'm with a group that just isn't sociable or something. Also the guidebook I'm planning on bringing is supposed to have an e book out soon if not already so the mini will be prefect for that.
For sharing photos with those back home. Also I'm thinking of blogging my Camino which will be easier from the mini than the iPhone.
I think it's great if others want no electronics on their Camino but that's just not me. What can I say I'm a gadget gal. :rolleyes:
Me loves me gadgets as well!!!

I walked the Camino Frances last fall and started with my iPhone. I lost it on Day 2 and first was devastated, but within a day or two it was not a problem and I think it was better not having the phone. I did use the internet almost daily at internet cafes, albergues or bars so i was somewhat connected to friends and famly.

Dan
www.danscaminoravels.wordpress.com

I walked the Camino Frances last fall and started with my iPhone. I lost it on Day 2 and first was devastated, but within a day or two it was not a problem and I think it was better not having the phone. I did use the internet almost daily at internet cafes, albergues or bars so i was somewhat connected to friends and famly.

Dan
www.danscaminoravels.wordpress.com
Sounds like a blessing perhaps?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Qualified long distance runner here in marathon shape, and I will take a phone with me in 2016. Decision based on lessons learned by one of our forum members who suffered an incident en La Meseta and was very glad to have his smartphone to call for help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
During my first caminos my husband and I communicated when necessary by land-line telephone; since 2008 I have carried a smartphone which also serves as my camera and computer on which I write my blogs. Since we both are in our 70's whilst apart we text each other good morning, briefly cite our daily plans, and text again at day's end. Simple, swift and efficacious this helps keep each of us in the other's loop.

While walking a smartphone and European assistance number 112 can provide invaluable emergency help. Luckily I have never personally needed such assistance, but over the years I have called 112 for other pilgrims who needed fast help and either had no phone or were unable to use a phone. ...In retrospect I would NEVER walk without a smartphone. Carrying one may help save someone else's life.

Margaret Meredith

I'm not sure I follow how a smartphone is better than a dumb phone for calling 112, mspath. Can you explain, please? I see you've said this several times in other threads and it always puzzles me. Of course I see that it's nice for other things, but I honestly don't see how it's better for making any kind of non-video phone call.

I'm not sure I follow how a smartphone is better than a dumb phone for calling 112, mspath. Can you explain, please? I see you've said this several times in other threads and it always puzzles me. Of course I see that it's nice for other things, but I honestly don't see how it's better for making any kind of non-video phone call.

Modern smartphones are GPS enabled, it makes is easier to triangulate your location, not sure about bare bones basic cellphones.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, Bajaracer. Pretty nearly all phones in the past few years have this, even my deplorable flip phone that's too primitive to use in Europe.

EDIT I don't mean that I have a GPS that I can use, but you can be sure that anyone who wants to know where the phone is and has the equipment to find it can do so.

You are right, of course! Any cell phone would do. However for photos and blogging a smartphone is my choice.
MM

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think bringing your iphone and getting an international sim is the best option. you can take photos with your phone and call your loved ones too! If you're worried about being on your phone too much just turn it off and throw it in the bottom of your bag :) check out my blog.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back