• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I really need a sleeping bag in Sept/Oct?

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi All,

My Camino starts on the 20th Sept from SJPP, do I really need a sleeping bag and if so, any suggestions on the type of bag I should buy or can I get away with just a silk linear?

Thanks again
Sonia
:D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sonia - check temperatures on some of the many weather sites like: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Europe.htm. Others may disagree and advise simply a liner with the option of using blankets or extra clothing. However at that time of the year I'd use a sleeping bag - I use a topbag which is very light and is designed to use with a mattress - less than .5k. Down filled topbags can be a little expensive but an investment you may consider making.

I agree with johnnalexander that a sleeping bag is probably necessary. I have a snugpak traveller (900 gr) for warmer months but it's rated to 5c. Nothing worse than not being able to sleep because of the cold

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A sleeping bag , definitely yes ............but not because of the cold, last September I found the nights pretty warm, but because some of the refugios the beds are not the cleanest.

Hi All,

Once again thanks for your thoughts. I've decided (thanks to you guys) I'll take a sleeping bag with me.

Yet again, another question answered, onto the next one... :lol:

Thanks all
Sonia

In my opinion it's a good decision, Sonia. I ALWAYS take a sleeping bag. One on summer, another one much warmer on winter.

Several years ago, I had to sleep in Manjarin. Not exactly the cleanest place. Sleeping bag recommended.
Some times I've had to sleep on the floor. Can you be sure it will not be your situation?
At earliers October in Monte Irago or Cebreiro can be colder than you think. Or in Villafranca Montes de Oca. It's very possible radiators doesn't work at this time.

Have a good Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get a light sleeping bag as the temperature may vary. There are places in high altitude that may get cold even in summer.

At least get one rated at 10 degrees C. They are very light and small. I use them for my camino in Apr and May. It the temperature gets even colder, I just put on my walking pants and pullover.

http://camino.wificat.com

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi All,

Thanks for the input guys.

I stumbled across another forum and someone suggested a linear and space blanket (emergency blanket) would do the job as well.

Has anyone used one of these space blankets before? If so, do they make alot of noise? Would it keep me warm at night? Do they take up much room?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone
Cheers
Sonia

I guess most of the replies here are in favor of a sleeping bag. I have not seen anyone in the camino using a space bag. If you intend to use it, just make sure that it is rugged enough to last the duration of your camino, especially the folding, in and out from your rugsack and unfolding.

Buen Camino!

http://camino.wificat.com

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Sonia,
We walked the Camino last september and had the same question, sleeping bag or not?
Finally we packed a light 500gr sleeping bag and I bought also a white bed-linnen (2x2.5m) after I had been bitten by bed-bugs the second night. During the hot nights in Navarra, I wrapped myself just in the linnen, and later in Galicia we were very glad with our sleeping bag.I always spread the linnen over cushion and matrass. Think of the extreme differences in temperature, from 30° in Navarra down to 4-5° on the Cebreiro, although every summer can be different.
We are just back from the Camino (Pamplona-Leon) and I carried the same equipment again, used it every night and would do it again the next time.
Buen Camino,
Jupp

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back