• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I switch routes??

DBB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
My bf and I are currently walking the northern route and silly me didn't realize we'd have so many problems getting accommodation. The bed race doesn't even exist, it far beyond. I'm really worried I won't find anything this weekend and wonder if I should switch to the Frances?? This is my 5th camino and have never had sleep problems this insane. Any advice would help. We have until late August to reach Santiago

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Camino Francés won't be any better! Perhaps if you move ahead and go to the Camino Primitivo - away from the coast, you might find less accommodation racing. August is definitely the worst time to try to get accommodations without a reservation because as @trecile mentions, it is high season throughout Europe and Spain's northern and southern coasts are very popular!
My only recommendation would be that before you leave where you are right now you call ahead to try and find out if you can reserve. You might have to try private albergues, pensiones, casas rurales and, of course hotels, just so that you know that you'll have a place for the night and not worry as you walk during the day. Perhaps you could consider towns in between, or going further using public transportation to where you might find lodging.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Camino Francés won't be any better!
I disagree. The Camino Francés in the summer is not busy until you get to Galicia. Those doing the Frances aren't in competition with those on a beach holiday for accommodations.

This recent thread has information about current pilgrim traffic on the Francés.

If you reach Sarria after the beginning of September you shouldn't have trouble in that stretch either.

I ended up stopping my Camino Del Norte the year before Covid for the same reason. It was August. I ended up on a bus to Portugal and did a tour of Morocco. I took an overnight bus as the only hotel available cost a fortune. I would head to the Camino Frances or Le Puy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry thay you are having those problems. In addition to the fact that there is less pilgrim infrastructure on the Norte, August is high season for tourists on Spain's northern coast.

How far along the Camino are you?
Hi Trecile, we are currently in Santillana Del Mar and there is no availability anywhere (even rural) for miles

I walked the Francés recently and accommodation was no problem at all. Especially in the Meseta.

Just a few days ago there were even walk in beds on the last 100k in the late afternoon in some albergues which I didn't expect because there are so many pilgrims right now.

It is incredibly busy from Sarria but most of the big noisy groups seem to stay in or around the major stopping points. Looking for places between those and further away from the towns should help.

Buen Camino!

I walked the Francés recently and accommodation was no problem at all. Especially in the Meseta. Just a few days ago there were even walk in beds on the last 100k in the late afternoon in some albergues which I didn't expect because there are so many pilgrims right now.

It is incredibly busy from Sarria but most of the big noisy groups seem to stay in or around the major stopping points.
Thank you for this feedback. I am not walking but far away, and I am adding this only because some of those who walk for the first time appear to be really concerned about very large numbers of pilgrims being reported and wrongly assume that they may not get a bed.

As far as I understand it, large group of young pilgrims that are so typical for the summer months in Galicia on the last 100 km or so may be accommodated in municipal sports halls that may not even be accessible for single pilgrims. This was certainly the case during the recent PEJ22 week (European Youth Pilgrimage 2022) but it seems to be common every summer, see for example this article about a controversial recurring theme in Galicia that summer after summer never brings unanimity: the use of the sports halls for groups of pilgrims. This could explain why there are large groups of (young) pilgrims walking on the Caminos in this area but still plenty of beds available for individual pilgrims wishing to stay in albergues.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I disagree. The Camino Francés in the summer is not busy until you get to Galicia. Those doing the Frances aren't in competition with those on a beach holiday for accommodations.
I stand corrected. My mistake! I did say this without stating the obvious, and I apologize.
because as @trecile mentions, it is high season throughout Europe and Spain's northern and southern coasts are very popular!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My bf and I are currently walking the northern route and silly me didn't realize we'd have so many problems getting accommodation. The bed race doesn't even exist, it far beyond. I'm really worried I won't find anything this weekend and wonder if I should switch to the Frances?? This is my 5th camino and have never had sleep problems this insane. Any advice would help. We have until late August to reach Santiago
Sounds like a plan. Why is it so? Less places? More pilgrims?

Just to say I am on the Frances now (in Sarria) and even here it is not too busy. Up to here there have been ample opportunities for beds and accommodation and though I suspect the next few days will be busy it is nothing like as busy as I had heard it was earlier in the year. Anecdotally April and May were very busy but it seems pretty quiet to me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree with Peregrina 2013, I might add that if you’re using booking.com, they only have a couple rooms that they reserve per hostel. If booking.com says no more rooms, that doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s no availability. You have to call/email/WhatsApp the Hostel/Albergues/hotel directly. Hope things are working out for you. Peace.

Oops! That sounds stressful. Sorry I can't help, but I do have a question... Is it only due to crowdedness that you can't find a bed or are many places closed? I am planning to walk the Norte in September - do you think it will be a problem then as well?

I am planning to walk the Norte in September - do you think it will be a problem then as well?
Probably not. As I mentioned above, the northern coast of Spain is a popular holiday destination in the summer months, peaking in August I believe. September should see a large decrease in tourists.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back