• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

DO NOT burn your clothes at Finisterre

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It was certainly tolerated when I was there in 2008. Mostly socks and boots.

However, more recently (I forget which year, 2016 maybe) pilgrims managed to set fire to the hillside and the practice was banned.

I also saw it in 2012 and it was talked about then as being a tradition. My walking gear was too valuable to me at the time as I had other walks to do so I burned nothing. It was banned a few years later.
Edit:
Just to add, I would be totally against the practice, its dangerous and unnecessary.

Last edited:
It was certainly tolerated when I was there in 2008. Mostly socks and boots.

However, more recently (I forget which year, 2016 maybe) pilgrims managed to set fire to the hillside and the practice was banned.
Tolerated by whom?

It wasn't banned in 2016, it has always been illegal and remains so. All fires require permission from the local town hall, in Finisterre and everywhere else in Galicia. And those permissions are never granted once the rainy season ends, and I can guarantee never for burning boots.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe folk are burning the cheap, disposable poncho they were 'advised' to purchase en route...

There have been some recent isolated comments about some sort of “tradition” of burning clothes at Finisterre. This is illegal and a very bad idea.

PLEASE, if you have heard any noise about this, do what you can to dispel the myth. This is not a hallowed tradition, in fact, it is an anti-environmental narcissistic act.
When I was sitting on the rocks at the end of the world in December there is a sign that about this if I remember correctly. There were some "burnt offerings" near where I was sitting. They are gross and a complete eyesore not to mention the danger of burning anything. I always thought it was a moronic and selfish practice no matter when or by whom this "tradition" started.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
M
I grow more Gallego by the day, and would like to ask that while in Galicia you not burn anything anywhere!

I realize @peregrina2000 had in mind the foulness that is burning synthetics at such a beautiful site... and wanted to add that fire moves fast in these parts.
My four adult children and their families live in California, US; all but my oldest daughter has had to evacuate, two of my children twice from wildfires absorbing towns. Whole neighborhoods and countless businesses in one town, were lost, in another all my oldest son's neighbors lost their homes in the mountains. As @wisepilgrim accurately states, fire move FAST.

It was a dumb idea at the beginning and nothing has changed...except our climate.

An important thread.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
M

My four adult children and their families live in California, US; all but my oldest daughter has had to evacuate, two of my children twice from wildfires absorbing towns. Whole neighborhoods and countless businesses in one town, we're lost, in another all my oldest son's neighbors lost their homes in the mountains. As @wisepilgrim accurately states, fire move FAST.

It was a dumb idea at the beginning and nothing has changed...except our climate.

An important thread.
My sister in law and her husband just escaped the Oakland FIre in 1991. They lived just up the hill from where it started. They got out with their lives only. Everything was destroyed. Fire surrounded their car by the time they got from the house to the street to get in their car. It was literally a matter of seconds.

This is a message that is best given to all who enter a Pilgrim Office, or even a church to ensure that it is disseminated to the highest possible number of Camino participants. To ensure full compliance, signs erected before reaching the Lighthouse stating restrictions would be applicable and advisable, for all to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for AFAIK, JabbaPapa because I like to learn something new everyday. So know that I know "as far as I know" I have fulfilled my learning requirement and can go back to bed for the rest of the day.
Here's another one for you - TIL (Today I Learned)
TIL that @lt56ny just learned what AFAIK means. 😄

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There have been some recent isolated comments about some sort of “tradition” of burning clothes at Finisterre. This is illegal and a very bad idea.

PLEASE, if you have heard any noise about this, do what you can to dispel the myth. This is not a hallowed tradition, in fact, it is an anti-environmental narcissistic act.
Thank you, I am all for participating in 'traditions" - but perhaps a celebratory glass of wine by the lighthouse while watching the sunset would be a better tradition?

This is a message that is best given to all who enter a Pilgrim Office, or even a church to ensure that it is disseminated to the highest possible number of Camino participants. To ensure full compliance, signs erected before reaching the Lighthouse stating restrictions would be applicable and advisable, for all to see.
I think I did see at least "a" sign near the lighthouse or by the rocks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start another tradition of donating any wearable gear to one of the clothes banks you see in Spanish towns and cities.

My sister in law and her husband just escaped the Oakland FIre in 1991. They lived just up the hill from where it started. They got out with their lives only. Everything was destroyed. Fire surrounded their car by the time they got from the house to the street to get in their car. It was literally a matter of seconds.
Fire is so emotionally devastating. I'm sorry for their loss.

I’m planning a trip to Fisterre this summer. During my research I’ve read about this tradition several times. The problem is that many reputable tour companies and bloggers are almost promoting it :(

I’m planning a trip to Fisterre this summer. During my research I’ve read about this tradition several times. The problem is that many reputable tour companies and bloggers are almost promoting it :(
It would be great to know the names of these places, not for purposes of public shaming, but so that we could send our earnest hopes that they will stop.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It would be great to know the names of these places, not for purposes of public shaming, but so that we could send our earnest hopes that they will stop.
Yes, I’m not into naming and shaming. But you only have to type Camino Fisterre Burn into Google and you get a long list

A famous YouTuber talked about it, and burned some clothes on the beach. I commented on his video, and he said that he thought that it was tradition, but now he knows better and won't do it again or promote it. Unfortunately, I think that it's still in his video.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From the Camino with Correos website:

6. Things you SHOULD NOT do​

In addition to our recommendations, we also want to point out some things that you shouldn't do when arriving to Finisterre, so that together we can help to preserve this magical place.

Burn clothing

This practice may be a reproduction of the medieval ritual of burning clothing on the Cruz dos Farrapos ('Rags Cross'), now situated on the roofs of the Cathedral de Santiago. The origins of this false ritual do not concern us as much as the fact that it continues.

The Fisterra Town Council itself takes time trying to educate pilgrims about why it is inadvisable to continue this supposed rite and have even placed several signs noting its prohibition. Burning clothing there alters and dirties the environment and can also pose a significant fire risk, since the winds in this area are very strong and changing, and even if you think nothing will happen, sometimes the unexpected occurs. Case in point: just two weeks ago two pilgrims burning boots caused a fire in the cape.

Leaving your boots

We're sure that they're destroyed and may smell. But the "tradition" of leaving your boots and other items of clothing that you've taken on the Camino is almost as bad as burning it. We hope you'll be someone who takes care of your surroundings and not follow this bad example!

Th
Perhaps it would be a good idea to start another tradition of donating any wearable gear to one of the clothes banks you see in Spanish towns and cities.
The logistics might be against this; but I suspect there are thousands of walking poles donated in Santiago with an equal quantity being bought in St Jean.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Th

The logistics might be against this; but I suspect there are thousands of walking poles donated in Santiago with an equal quantity being bought in St Jean.
Yeah, it been discussed before but the economics incentive is the issue. The cost of having a depository for poles in SdC and then paying to ship them one way or the other, in bulk or not, to a repository in SJPdP requires some young entrepreneur who doesn't understand the concept of how to make a profit.

Here's one option of what to do with poles in Santiago.
I live in Santiago and I’ll gladly take People’s poles and put Them to good use with other pilgrims.
I Can be contacted on Messenger JT Pedersen or Instagram thedanishvikingpilgrim

Yeah, it been discussed before but the economics incentive is the issue. The cost of having a depository for poles in SdC and then paying to ship them one way or the other, in bulk or not, to a repository in SJPdP requires some young entrepreneur who doesn't understand the concept of how to make a profit.
I spent most of my career not making a profit, to the disappointment of the shareholders; but for every backpack transporter travelling full in a westerly direction, there’s another travelling empty in an easterly direction.

Oh, never mind; best wishes Don

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I spent most of my career not making a profit, to the disappointment of the shareholders; but for every backpack transporter travelling full in a westerly direction, there’s another travelling empty in an easterly direction.

Oh, never mind; best wishes Don
That's not their interest, i.e., humping used polls back to some place in the east. Who's going to pay them and what?, No way!
Henrythedog it looks like a great new venture for you to invest your money in.

It was talked about when I was there in 2013, I don't know anyone who actually did it.
I agree with Wayfarer, my boots and socks, were my most loyal companions during my Camino. I would not dream of sacrificing them at the end (I still have the boots).
Few know how to start/control/contain a fire. I like the idea of a celebratory glass of vino blanco!!

I grow more Gallego by the day, and would like to ask that while in Galicia you not burn anything anywhere!

I realize @peregrina2000 had in mind the foulness that is burning synthetics at such a beautiful site... and wanted to add that fire moves fast in these parts.
Walking in Galicia after months away from Australia the Eucalyptus trees were a reminder of home, but like Australia they burn and cause great damage so be careful. Burning your cloths at the end is something so stupid as it shows very little respect for the country that welcomed you, would you do it in your friends front yard when leaving. I think these people are far from being pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tolerated by whom?

It wasn't banned in 2016, it has always been illegal and remains so. All fires require permission from the local town hall, in Finisterre and everywhere else in Galicia. And those permissions are never granted once the rainy season ends, and I can guarantee never for burning boots.
On the other hand the local shops are pleased to deliver you the fuel as a contradiction 🤭

Attachments

• 81DFCBC9-2BC9-4CE2-BFDB-8CCE25B1C650.jpeg
    81DFCBC9-2BC9-4CE2-BFDB-8CCE25B1C650.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 18
Tolerated by whom?

Tolerated by the Authorities responsible for policing and enforcing the laws relating to boot burning at Fisterra. If they are not policing and enforcing, then they are tolerating, regardless of the reason for not policing and enforcing.

In 2008 there were a number of low level fires in action burning mostly boots and socks in what looked like well used makeshift fireplaces. There was nothing furtive about this activity.

Attachments

• CNV00003.JPG
    CNV00003.JPG
    858.7 KB · Views: 178
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tolerated by the Authorities responsible for policing and enforcing the laws relating to boot burning at Fisterra. If they are not policing and enforcing, then they are tolerating, regardless of the reason for not policing and enforcing.

In 2008 there were a number of low level fires in action burning mostly boots and socks in what looked like well used makeshift fireplaces. There was nothing furtive about this activity.

View attachment 122264
Smelly, nasty and so just plain a dumb thing to do.

Nice to see the quick response from CaminoWays. So it is worth sending a couple of emails!

https://caminoways.com/fisterra-pilgrims-legend-and-beauty
That's a good change, but I'd be happier if they stressed the negative impact of burning on the environment, and didn't mention that it is something that has been done in the past. Many people think if people did something in the past that makes it a "tradition."

I wish that they had left this out:

In the past, Pilgrims often burned some of their clothes or walking shoes at Cape Fisterra as a symbolic end to their long journey.

That's not their interest, i.e., humping used polls back to some place in the east. Who's going to pay them and what?, No way!
Henrythedog it looks like a great new venture for you to invest your money in.
If I were going east from Santiago in a motor vehicle, I would be happy to put some poles into the corners of my load. The extra weight will cost me less than a café con leche in fuel. If my profit isn't higher than that, I'm in the wrong business!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Picture below: A Galician farmer trying to warm up his cows in a barn. Smelled like burning tyres (tires?). Photo taken 6 days ago on a chilly morning on Camino Primitivo.

Attachments

• 20220403_103543.jpg
    20220403_103543.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 36

Well said!

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.