• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

do people bring gifts to give to other pilgrims?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kati, I've only seen it once on the Camino, but it's a lovely practice. I walked with a woman from England one day, and she gave people little shells from Northumberland. We still correspond, and every time I run across that shell it reminds me of what a pleasant time we had walking together and what a gracious gesture it was to do that.

This isn't a present, of course, but I take a baggie with pre-written slips with my contact information to keep in the waist-compartment of my backpack. It's a good way to stay in touch with others you might want to reconnect with later to walk with for safety or to just keep track of how each other are doing, which can give a nice sense of connection if you walk solo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'll be starting my Camino in two weeks. I plan on giving different kinds of gifts during my 40 day Pilgrimage. I along with my sister have made small bracelets that can be worn as or hung on a backpack. They are all unique with crosses, beads and shells. I also will be offering massages along the way and pilgrim picnics on short walking days. Buen Camino.

When I travel I usually bring along some small gifts -- for people I meet as I travel and become friends with or who help me in some way. Do people do this on the camino and if so what are some things that would be appreciated?

Buen camino all!

Kati
in my experience it's a lovely gesture - and kindness.
i've taken along some small and lightweight gifts - with the intention to gift to hosts when suitable.
and i was very glad i did. - a few extra grams weigh nothing when it can convey another expression of appreciation.
best wishes and buen camino - C

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I travel I usually bring along some small gifts -- for people I meet as I travel and become friends with or who help me in some way. Do people do this on the camino and if so what are some things that would be appreciated?

Buen camino all!

Kati
I have brought a few small zipper-pull type compasses to give away. They are light and inexpensive but have seemed to carry both practical and symbolic value.

I read a blog a while back on a Canadian fellow that gave away Canadian pins or badges, I cannot recall which. Reading his blog I could sense his gentle enthusiasm and desire to share something from home with others he met. He must have brought a rather large bag of them because he gave several out every day it seemed.

I think such an act is remarkably kind and thoughtful. Obviously, you have a very good heart.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What a lovely thought.

I'm taking 200 pairs of ear plugs. Super lightweight and hopefully will help people to forgive my snoring.

Don't bother - they don't work (at least not for those of us who are light sleepers, the people most affected by snorers). I brought some lightweight earplugs but they had minimal if any difference where snorers were concerned. An Australian woman told me she bought a $50+ pair of earplugs designed for people working in high-noise environments and they were they only earplugs she found effective in blocking out the annoying snoring. So please leave the super lightweight ear plugs at home - most peregrinos will already have some in the deluded hope they will help.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
a while back on a Canadian fellow that gave away Canadian pins or badges, I cannot recall which.
He must have brought a rather large bag of them because he gave several out every day it seemed.
There is some Canadian government office where you can order bags of these flag pins for free. Used by many comlankes on commercial missions etc. I don't like knick-knacks. And then the person feels obligated to wear said knick-knack? It's like a hostess gift: it should be perrishavle or eatable, so you don't expect to see it next time you visit and get uoset when you don't.

Buy a round of drinks, help someone carry their backpack up a flight of stairs. Invite someone to join you for a meal.

Buen camino all!

Kati
I met one pilgrim who gave refrigerator magnets of his home and finger flashlights. I met another giving out religious medallions. More meaningful to me was a Japanese peregrina who made origami paper peace cranes because I responded by making her an origami rabbit. She was surprised and delighted because it was the animal of her zodiac year!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A massage is an excellent gift!
Pilgrims don't need more things, but kindness is always appreciated.
I'm excited to give people the gift of relaxation on the Camino. I've also been having some great experiences while making my Camino bracelets. I've been making them at my local senior center and in the process many people have asked for prayers for themselves and others during my Camino. Most of them have never heard of the Camino and are excited to hear about my adventures when I return. Everyone wins!

I'm going to give free yoga classes, starting in Sarria on Sunday, May 21 and ending in Santiago on Saturday, May 27. Not sure where, but in town plaza or a park if nothing else available. These classes will be for all--ultimate beginners to advanced--I've been teaching yoga for 15+ years. If anyone wants contact info and intermediate stop schedule, please PM me.

We (4 kids and me) walked most of the Primitivo with a guy who had six little bells jingling on his pack - one for each of his Caminos. At the end he gave us each one of them - very special.
When we were back in Madrid en route to the Via de la Plata we met for a meal and I was able to return the favour by giving him a blanket I crocheted for his young daughter!
But actually his biggest gift was simply walking alongside and chatting with the kids on long stretches.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen camino all!

Kati
I too like to give gifts, but most of my Caminos have been quite long and hence I don't want to take extra weight, and neither do my fellow Pelerin's / Peregrino's / Pilger's. On my second Camino I adopted the habit of giving a song, by accident.

I sing for myself and for my friends in the Churches along the way, where my mediocre voice sounds much better, and for people who do things for me. I have learnt the phrase "this is my gift for you" in the French, German, and Spanish to explain to them. One day, in France, a lady went home and made me a bottle of hot chocolate and brought back to me, along with some pan du lait. I had already been into the church and had a sing on my own and was preparing to leave when she returned (I didn't know she was doing this). I didn't know whether to pay her or not and so I took her by the hand into the church and sang a couple of hymns for her (in English!). I mimed that she had given me a gift and that my singing was my gift for her. She was in tears, clinging to me for some time. I think it was an appreciated gift.

Just one of dozens of stories such as this that I have experienced. Janet

Buen camino all!

Kati
I think an appropriate pilgrim gift is a random act of kindness along the way. It weighs nothing and means infinitely more than nothing. If you carry gifts, I fear they would become an albatross around your neck.

Buen camino all!

Kati

I had lots of small hearts which I gave to fellow pilgrims but more to Spaniards who were exceptionally kind to me or another pilgrim. Some were stone or glass hearts, some strong on my pack or tiny wooden hearts glued to tiny tiny clothes pins which I'd "pin" on people. It was a beautiful way for me to say thank you. ❤️

Buen camino all!

Kati

We had "business" cards made up with the scallop shell which made it easy for others to carry and keep in contact with us afterwards. :)
View attachment 33828

Attachments

• Camino Card (3).jpg
    Camino Card (3).jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This made me smile...I am the Canadian pilgrim referred to earlier by Michael B. In the 2,600 km walk (split over 3 trips) I gave out somewhere over 2,000 small Canadian plastic lapel pins. I took a lot of ribbing about carrying extra weight but I simply enjoyed the small act of giving something to people who helped me or simply pilgrims I met along the way.

Some of my best memories came from doing this...the elderly gentlemen (let's say 90+) in Switzerland who was cutting tall grass with a scythe. I asked him for directions...and then gave him a Canadian lapel pin. He looked at it quizzically...then as I went on my way I looked back. With a shrug of his shoulders he pitched in the grass...a lesson learned about accumulating things.

In Conques in the pilgrim accommodation hearing a group of people talking about having received lapel pins...then pointing to me and then having a dozen or so pilgrims come to talk to me and receive pins.

Somewhere in Spain...meeting a group of Korean pilgrims and giving them pins...then have them excitedly reach in their bags to give something with the Pope on it.

A barkeeper proudly taking me to a glass case where he kept his valuables...opening it and placing my ridiculously small pin with his possessions.

In France staying in a convent of very elderly nuns (name escapes me) and during supper walking around and handing lapel pins to the 15 or so nuns present.

To my walking pilgrim friends who would ask me "did you give him/her" a pin.

It's not for everyone however for someone who is not naturally the extrovert type it gave me so many individual contacts and memories.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Korean and Japanese pilgrims often carry little gifts, theirs are gift-giving societies. Our house has little good-luck charms hung on door knobs of the the pilgrim rooms, left by gracious asian pilgrims. One favorite gift came from a Korean football fan. The South Korean team that year reached the semi-finals in the world-cup (or some such worldwide competition), a huge achievement. Paddy and I each received a bright red kerchief with a dragon face S. Korea team logo and "WE ARE TWELFTH!" in flaming letters.
Coming from a country that cannot bear to be any less than Number One, I always get such a charge out of this wonderful bit of national pride, where 12 is so worth celebrating!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I usually carry five or six amate bark paper bookmarks in my travels (not only in the Camino). They are typical of my country, are hand painted in a naif but stylized design, weigh nothing, could be useful, and I can (if needed) add my e-mail. I don't give them to everybody I meet -just to people whom I have walked or travelled with for some days and have shared some good moments. They are always well received.

I carry "business cards" that have one of my photographs on them and my contact information. I don't give out too many though. You can get the same info by clicking on the link in my signature line.

Don't bother - they don't work (at least not for those of us who are light sleepers, the people most affected by snorers). I brought some lightweight earplugs but they had minimal if any difference where snorers were concerned. An Australian woman told me she bought a $50+ pair of earplugs designed for people working in high-noise environments and they were they only earplugs she found effective in blocking out the annoying snoring. So please leave the super lightweight ear plugs at home - most peregrinos will already have some in the deluded hope they will help.

Having worked 35 years in the "heavy: construction, building and the repair of refineries, fossil fuel power plants, nuclear power plants, etc , it was an extremely high noise (decibel 120-140 ) area. We wore lightweight foam earplugs that you can buy in most stores. Here they cost about $3.00 USD for 25 pairs. at Walmart and they are the same thing we wore in work. They come in sizes. You just roll them between your fingers and insert, they expand to give a tight fit. They also make noise level drastically lower, almost to whisper levels. So for mere pennies, one can sleep uninterrupted. We brought them the last time and will this time and extra for those who have to endure our snoring close by . They work !!!

I read a blog a while back on a Canadian fellow that gave away Canadian pins or badges, I cannot recall which. Reading his blog I could sense his gentle enthusiasm and desire to share something from home with others he met. He must have brought a rather large bag of them because he gave several out every day it seemed.

I think such an act is remarkably kind and thoughtful. Obviously, you have a very good heart.

Yes, I brought little Canadian flag lapel pins to offer to all when I was Hospitalera in Viana last year. My first Camino I carried a little card with printed message "Don't give up.....when things go wrong.....rest if you must, but don't quit. As I gave them out in what looked to me like challenging situations, I also added the person to my prayer list for a few days. Note to self; go back to carrying these, ongoing.

.........the elderly gentlemen (let's say 90+) in Switzerland who was cutting tall grass with a scythe. I asked him for directions...and then gave him a Canadian lapel pin. He looked at it quizzically...then as I went on my way I looked back. With a shrug of his shoulders he pitched in the grass...a lesson learned about accumulating things.
This made me smile. I, also, am one not to accumulate things. :)

I got two gifts from locals. At a bar I was given a small religious medal on a string that I hung with my shell. Much later, after dropping some cans into a recycling bin, I was given a ball cap with a recycle on the Camino slogan on it that I wore in place of the one I brought from home.

And I got a gift from a Korean as a thanks for attempting to take his picture. I think it was really for my patience for waiting for him to clear out memory so the picture could be taken. We went through several unsuccessful tries but I was presented with a small stationary set from the Korean Presidential Palace (or whatever it is called) where he was a guard.

One could bring along some silk scarves for fancy gifts; they don't weigh much or take up too much room.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having worked 35 years in the "heavy: construction, building and the repair of refineries, fossil fuel power plants, nuclear power plants, etc , it was an extremely high noise (decibel 120-140 ) area. We wore lightweight foam earplugs that you can buy in most stores. Here they cost about $3.00 USD for 25 pairs. at Walmart and they are the same thing we wore in work. They come in sizes. You just roll them between your fingers and insert, they expand to give a tight fit. They also make noise level drastically lower, almost to whisper levels. So for mere pennies, one can sleep uninterrupted. We brought them the last time and will this time and extra for those who have to endure our snoring close by . They work !!!

All I can say is that they don't work for me and that is a sentiment I've heard echoed from several other people who tried them on the Camino.

All I can say is that they don't work for me and that is a sentiment I've heard echoed from several other people who tried them on the Camino.
It could be a sizing issue. There are various sizes and shapes. My wife had to try out about six different types until she found one that worked for her. I hope you find something, as we both know, it can get loud .

As follow up to@notion900 's earlier comment, I gave out 100 custom made guitar pics two years ago on CP and 200 now on the VdlP. Just today in Castro Dozon I gave away the last one. They are very popular.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1495135587237.jpg
    FB_IMG_1495135587237.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 33
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As follow up to@notion900 's earlier comment, I gave out 100 custom made guitar pics two years ago on CP and 200 now on the VdlP. Just today in Castro Dozon I gave away the last one. They are very popular.
Fantastic! May I make a suggestion for what I think is an improvement? Never mind, I'll give it anyway. Leave a bit of room at one of the corners and for a good number of the ones that you have ordered drill a hole there so the recipient can hang them off a pack, a loop of string or use it as a zipper pull.

Buen camino all!

Kati
Hi Kati
I have just come across your post from 12 months ago as I too am keen to take small gifts for those I meet who I feel 'need a little gift'. I'm interested to hear whether or not you took small gifts? and if so, what did you take? Now that you have most probably finished "your way", do you have any suggestions of what would be appropriate or anything that in hindsight you would have taken? I'm thinking also of those I meet who actually live along the way, in the villages etc, hosts etc.

Large stones from my yard to give to people who didn’t bring their own for the Cruz de Ferro?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Many people wouldn't want any extra weight, so your gift should be fairly weightless.
I often make and take St. James Chaplets made of cord.

My husband and I intend to bring small St Christopher (patron saint of travelers) medallions to give away, one for each day we’re travelling — light weight and inexpensive.

We bought some cookies for the hospitaleros in El Burgo Ranero last time around - in turn the Canadian hospitalera presented us with pins of the Canadian flag. We thought it a great idea for our pilgrimages in Japan so bought from a Taobao site 100 enamel Union Jack flag pins to reciprocate with when we received "ossetai" from locals. Still got some left which will go on our next Camino.
Another gift we saw offered in Japan was a postcard with a view of your home town - we might copy that one too!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My husband and I intend to bring small St Christopher (patron saint of travelers) medallions to give away, one for each day we’re travelling — light weight and inexpensive.

A couple of years ago I tripped en route to Estella and hit my face on the pavement. As I sat on the kerb, nose bleeding and mouth cut being helped by my pilgrim friends, a lovely lady stopped and gave me her St Christopher (which I still carry on my pack). She seemed so upset by my face and sadly I never saw her again to show her that actually I was fine and no harm done. And I also still have my little pilgrim wire figure made at an alberugue in Los Arcos

It is lovely to be on the receiving end of a gift :)

I had a bowl of Canadian lapel pins ( from our MP ) at our registration desk in Viana the 2 weeks I was Hospitalera.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What a lovely thought.

I'm taking 200 pairs of ear plugs. Super lightweight and hopefully will help people to forgive my snoring.
Thanks you for the idea which will save from a life time of ridicule for my snoring. I am not ashamed to say I stay at albergues, either.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back