• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do private rooms at albergues generally have private bathrooms as well?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Just wondering, when booking a private room at an albergue does that also mean a private bathroom/shower? Or it's just the bed that's private and you're still using the same bathroom/shower as everyone else?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the quick response. Noted that private rooms may or may not share a bathroom.

I anticipate wanting/needing to stay in a private room every week or so, to give myself a break from the snoring, or because I'm taking a rest day and want to sleep in a bit.

I also anticipate wanting/needing to stay in a room with a private bathroom/shower every week or so, to give myself a break from sharing a bathroom - the least anticipated part of my camino. I'd choose a private bathroom over private sleeping quarters if I had a choice. Never been a fan of public bathrooms, but I'm going to have to suck it up and get communal I guess, as I will be staying at a mix of municipal and private albergues. Doubt I will want to spring for an actual hotel room or pension, except perhaps at the very end.

“I anticipate wanting/needing to stay in a private room every week or so, to give myself a break from the snoring, or because I'm taking a rest day and want to sleep in a bit.”

Just be aware that if you are taking a rest day, a pension or hotel may be a better choice, because I believe even in a private room in an albergue, you are still meant to leave by leaving time, and many only allow a 1 night stay.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the quick response. Noted that private rooms may or may not share a bathroom.

I anticipate wanting/needing to stay in a private room every week or so, to give myself a break from the snoring, or because I'm taking a rest day and want to sleep in a bit.

I also anticipate wanting/needing to stay in a room with a private bathroom/shower every week or so, to give myself a break from sharing a bathroom - the least anticipated part of my camino. I'd choose a private bathroom over private sleeping quarters if I had a choice. Never been a fan of public bathrooms, but I'm going to have to suck it up and get communal I guess, as I will be staying at a mix of municipal and private albergues. Doubt I will want to spring for an actual hotel room or pension, except perhaps at the very end.
You may find that a room in a pensión or hostal is no more expensive than a private room in an albergue. A hostal is different from a hostel. They are small, often family run businesses with private rooms/baths often on only one or two floors of a building.

Just wondering, when booking a private room at an albergue does that also mean a private bathroom/shower? Or it's just the bed that's private and you're still using the same bathroom/shower as everyone else?
Also, depending upon the size, but all Casa Rurals or similar guarantee a private bathroom. We stayed in a few that had shared toilet/shower down the hall from the rooms.

You may find that a room in a pensión or hostal is no more expensive than a private room in an albergue. A hostal is different from a hostel. They are small, often family run businesses with private rooms/baths often on only one or two floors of a building.

Very true. I've used them a lot. Private rooms in Albergues, Pensions, Hostals, as well as Hostels, Cara Rurals....

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think each type of establishment has advantages and disadvantages so take into consideration the whole package. Is there a private room, private bath, kitchen for pilgrim use, communal meal, proximity to a store, proximity to a bar, pillows, sheets, bath towels, common area, wifi, laundry area for hand washing, laundry machine, clothes drying area, closeness of beds, and costs. Think about what else you find essential as you look for private rooms and baths. We stayed in a private room with bath this year with towels, sheets, and pillows, but no kitchen or proximity to a store or bar so it was a long walk after a long day to get food and drink. Take in the whole picture if you can.

My wife and I made advance reservations for each of the last 3 (of 4) Camino Frances. We always booked private rooms with private baths. We were happy to pay the higher expense to get a nice sleep each night and to have privacy in the room and our own bathroom. We mostly made reservations using Booking.com and it is very easy and clear to see if your room has a private bathroom or shared. Bob

What everyone said above. It depends on the establishment and to an extend - your willingness to pay extra money in some cases (obviously en-suite will cost more).
This past Camino Frances I just finished I had a private room 4 times - all were with shared bathroom. At no point I felt "inconvenienced" by that fact (Heck - given the number of folks\bathroom otherwise in some large albergues .... ;))

My wife joined me on Camino Finisterre and for those 4 nights (plus 3 nights in Santiago proper) we had a private room with en-suite

Good luck with whatever you decide. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all the info. I've become fairly familiar with the dorm room price of albergues - municipal and private, but what is the range of costs for a private room in an albergue or a pension or similar. In other words, not an expensive hotel. Can a private room with private bath generally be found for 50 euros, or would I be looking at more? I know prices vary, but on average. Just trying to get a sense of how many nights in a private room I can afford... :)

Thanks for all the info. I've become fairly familiar with the dorm room price of albergues - municipal and private, but what is the range of costs for a private room in an albergue or a pension or similar. In other words, not an expensive hotel. Can a private room with private bath generally be found for 50 euros, or would I be looking at more? I know prices vary, but on average. Just trying to get a sense of how many nights in a private room I can afford... :)
I can think of a few under 50 euros with private bath. For example at this one in Shahagun it is simple, but a double room is 20 euros. https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/sahagun/albergue-peregrinos-santa-cruz

Can a private room with private bath generally be found for 50 euros,
Yes, you can often get a private room with ensuite bath for 50€ or less.

Look on Gronze and they will show prices for bunks and for private rooms. (you will have to check if the private room has its own bath)

Screenshot_20220824-085609.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
what is the range of costs for a private room in an albergue or a pension or similar.
Look at booking.com. Many private albergues, hostales and casa rurales list both private rooms and dorm beds, and you can get a good idea of what range is available, even if you choose not to use booking for the reservations.

Like I said my were all shared but the highest I paid was 25E and others were in the 15-20 range
So i think you can definitely find something under 50 (as with so many other things - the LOCATION may determine the price)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also, depending upon the size, but all Casa Rurals or similar guarantee a private bathroom. We stayed in a few that had shared toilet/shower down the hall from the rooms.
So you're saying that private rooms in Casa Rurales always have private bathrooms, except when they don't? 😂

Under 50 € depending on season, festivities and weekends.

This one for instance at San Justo de la Vega ( nice sleepy town before Astorga ) will be 43 € next week for a single room.

Be aware that in Spain, like most of Europe, the term "bathroom" refers strictly to the place where one takes a bath or shower. It may or may not be in a separate room from the toilet.

If a toilet is needed in the US or Latin America, ask for a bathroom or "baño".

If a toilet is needed in Spain, ask specifically for a toilet, with "servicios" or "aseos".

-Paul

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am in the process of booking private rooms (most with private baths) for my Camino next year, and I would say the average is probably about 45 euros.

My questions with shared bathrooms are always:
How many bathrooms are avaiable for how many people, and, most importantly, are the toilets separate from the bathrooms...? One bathroom shared by several people with the only toilet INSIDE the bathroom? That's a NO......

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One bathroom shared by several people with the only toilet INSIDE the bathroom? That's a NO....
I've been in that situation twice, and amazingly it worked out!
Though I definitely prefer albergues where shower stalls and toilet stalls are separate.

When I book a private albergue via booking.com., booking indicates whether the room has a private bathroom or a shared bath. However, it does not indicate how many rooms are sharing the bathroom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Occasionally I've had a room in a hostal or pensión with a private bath that was not connected to my room, which was kind of a pain, as I had a separate key for my room and for the bathroom, and every time that I got up in the middle of the night I had to make sure that I had both keys, and locked all the doors.

When I book a private hostel via booking.com., booking indicates whether the room has a private bathroom or a shared bath. However, it does not indicate how many rooms are sharing the bathroom.
When I've booked, I always ask to be sure....... Sometimes the reviews give a clue.

I found that more often than not, private rooms did offer private showers. There were occasions where you had a private room to sleep, but not the showers/toilet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We u

sed Booking.com. Then you will know what you are getting.

Depends is correct. However if you know where you want sleep at sent a text of call the Albergue. Ask if the room has its own privately bathroom. Worked great for me on my last 3 Caminos. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My experience is that they do.

Occasionally I've had a room in a hostal or pensión with a private bath that was not connected to my room, which was kind of a pain, as I had a separate key for my room and for the bathroom, and every time that I got up in the middle of the night I had to make sure that I had both keys, and locked all the doors.
YES! I have had that too and that drives me crazy. I prefer a shared bathroom to a private bathroom that you have to use a key to open and close. Especially at night it was a total pain in the butt! And you feel like you are waking up the entire building because they key is always noisy. I have had that more in Italy than in Spain though

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back