• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do Spaniards srsly eat this much tuna?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m not sure that what we get as pilgrims eating pilgrims menus reflects much of the local food culture in Spain- rather, I think it’s likely to be cheap nutritious food that pilgrims get in pilgrims menus, enabling those pilgrims that couldn’t otherwise be away a month or more and eat out for much of that time, to participate in this crazy beautiful camino experience….

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm done with tuna. How do I avoid it?

And do Spanish really eat that much of it, or is it just a cheap ingredient to push on pilgrims?
Well, you could just master up enough Spanish to ask for "***" "sin atún". The Beloved cruises Spain despite her Alium intolerance by simply requesting "Insalada mixta sin cebolla". I've always thought that sin was a useful word in Spain. And, no, Tuna is not a cheap ingredient. People die catching it. If you want cheap ingredients in Spain go for those parts of a pig that don't make Jamon or Secreto or Morcilla. Oh, yeh, thats called Lomo and it'll give your jaw muscles the work-out in the evening that your legs have had all day.

Well, you could just master up enough Spanish to ask for "***" "sin atún". The Beloved cruises Spain despite her Alium intolerance by simply requesting "Insalada mixta sin cebolla". I've always thought that sin was a useful word in Spain. And, no, Tuna is not a cheap ingredient. People die catching it. If you want cheap ingredients in Spain go for those parts of a pig that don't make Jamon or Secreto or Morcilla. Oh, yeh, thats called Lomo and it'll give your jaw muscles the work-out in the evening that your legs have had all day.
Is it also called bonita ? Or is atun the predominant word for it?

You’re so right…. @Tincatinker - being able to speak a little Spanish has made a massive difference to my experience on the camino, in lots of ways, some big and some small…. not the least of which is being able to ask for exactly what I want (or don’t want) to eat and drink.

Where would I be without the occasional glass of “orujo de hierbas” after dinner!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tuna is good for you. It is part of the Mediterranian diet which allows people to live longer, leaner and healthier lives than most other places in the world, none named here.

Edit: I follow the Mediterranian diet as best I can (tuna/fish, olives, lean meat (calf/lamb/sheep), olive oil, vegetables, etc), and at 69, I am lean, mean and healthy.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am not a huge tuna fan - but I love the Ensalada Mixta as it often has a variety of vegetables and lots of protein. But yes - every once in a while I ordered Ensalada Mixta sin Atun and they always knew what I meant!

Yes they do. About once a week I eat off the carta in a restaurant, and various forms of tuna-- usually bonito or ventresca-- can be had. As well, aficionadi of Spanish grocery and food shops will often note the presence of very pricey tinned tuna-- in private houses, one often finds them as a tapa or racion, and brought out as a treat for foreigners.

For me, the only problem with Spanish tuna is that its higher quality has pretty well destroyed North American tuna for me.

In El Rocio with various chums. Bird-botherers, Butterfly fanciers, Botanists and even some waiting for the revelation and trying not to fall off their horse. 25 - 28 May will be a lot of fun around here and yet we can get just about anything “sin” just about anything except sand. Sand features a lot in El Rocio and when the winds blow (always) sand features in just about anything that doesn’t have a cork.

Sin Atun, Carne, Azucar, cafeína, cebolla, mariscos, ajo: none of these has been a problem other than for me as I try to translate and re-translate and yes, estofado de conejo does have rabbit in it but if I give them 24hrs notice and the cocinero isn’t too busy you can have one without chips…

Meanwhile the Manzanilla is crisp and salty as are the tortillas de camarone. We have warm showers, cold beer and a roof where from the Spotless Starlings chirp us into wakefulness in another sunny day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a ps to the above: there are probably around 1000 residents, bird watchers, painters and decorators, plasterers and men who fix drains scattered about this township. In two weeks time there will be close to a million pilgrims here. If you think Sarria to Santiago is a bit busy….

As a ps to the above: there are probably around 1000 residents, bird watchers, painters and decorators, plasterers and men who fix drains scattered about this township. In two weeks time there will be close to a million pilgrims here. If you think Sarria to Santiago is a bit busy….

Enjoy!
Which I could hear and experience the Salve Rociera. You are lucky.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Any concerns regarding mercury levels and the amount of tuna eaten on Camino? The information seems rather misleading with US info rather more alarming than UK for example. I have read Alice in Wonderland and I do not want a tea party!

Enjoy!
Which I could hear and experience the Salve Rociera. You are lucky.
I’ve been when it was just about empty, and there’s a ‘presence’ which is hard to describe. It’s as though the huge empty space is awaiting the annual arrival, which is on a scale which I would previously only have associated with festivals in India.

As @Tincatinker says, being there in a couple of weeks time would put the annual ‘month of May whining’ on the Frances into perspective.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can't avoid the tuna. It is in tapa sandwiches. Salads. Even some cold pasta dish with boiled eggs and tuna, served cold.

And do Spanish really eat that much of it, or is it just a cheap ingredient to push on pilgrims?
One of my favorite parts of being in Spain is the tuna. Not just on the camino, but everywhere. I especially love ventresca tuna. Unfortunately, Americans are not big fans of this fatty section of a tuna so it’s difficult to find here. But I have found a place in Westport Washington that cans tuna right off the boat. Merino’s. Their ventresca is to die for! And they'll ship it anywhere in the U.S.

Last edited:
I never, ever encountered tuna on a mixed salad until I started going to Spain.... But now a mixed salad sin atun seems downright naked.

(Oh,, and I think I agree with Annie, #10 supra. Tuna in the USA just isn't the same, somehow.)

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
They really do eat that much of it. It isn't just something they push on pilgrims. I was living in Madrid about 33 years ago. Not the tourist section of Madrid, the residential section far from where tourists are likely to venture. I still remember the tuna the local pizza place put on its pizzas because I had never previously seen tuna as a pizza topping.

And if you are sick of the (to me delicious Spanish) tuna, try the canned pulpo - with an apple and some pan - for food on the road. The best!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't avoid the tuna. It is in tapa sandwiches. Salads. Even some cold pasta dish with boiled eggs and tuna, served cold.

Yes the frustration for my vegetarian co-pilgrim was that they would stick tuna on top of everything; 'vegetarian' macarrones, salads, etc.!

At San Anton, Oliver and I would buy a big pie and leave it out on the counter for days to munch on. No flies, no worries.

Look at the bright side. When your Camino is over and you’re back home again, you don’t ever have to eat tuna again! And a sin will be a sin.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tuna is good for you. It is part of the Mediterranian diet which allows people to live longer, leaner and healthier lives than most other places in the world, none named here.

Edit: I follow the Mediterranian diet as best I can (tuna/fish, olives, lean meat (calf/lamb/sheep), olive oil, vegetables, etc), and at 69, I am lean, mean and healthy.
The mercury in it is not so "good for you".

“Good for you” doesn’t mean everyone can stomach it. I also ask for sin atún and I’m a healthy, happy, 64 year old. Enjoy your travels while eating what keeps your own, very unique body, healthy and happy. Buen Camino.

https://news.prairiepublic.org/show/dakota-datebook-archive/2022-05-30/strontium-90-found-in-cows-milk-in-north-dakota#:~:text=In%201959%2C%20radioactivity%20was%20found,Strontium%2D90%20in%20cow's%20milk.

Anything else you want to worry about? Just remember that in the last few decades we have fed dead chickens to live cows; sprayed biocides known to harm bees onto pollination dependent crops, and come to rely on a God called Gle as a source of all wisdom and truth.
Buying Tuna in Spain I’d be more worried about the arsenic in the tin… Except I’m not

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One of my favorite parts of being in Spain is the tuna. Not just on the camino, but everywhere. I especially love ventresca tuna. Unfortunately, Americans are not big fans of this fatty section of a tuna so it’s difficult to find here. But I have found a place in Westport Washington that cans tuna right off the boat. Merino’s. Their ventresca is to die for! And they'll ship it anywhere in the U.S.
We are very fortunate to live 40 minutes away from Westport (and Merino's). Love it!

Oh my g..! I remember this from my Camino back in 2005. Every salad had tuna in it, until I dreaded ordering any salad. Now I quite enjoy a green salad with a can of tuna (olive oil) thrown on top.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And do Spanish really eat that much of it
Not really, no.

The French eat more of it than anyone else in Mediterranean Western Europe, though the Italians are not that far behind.

But even among these peoples, it's hardly a staple !!

Mostly, it features in cheap and easy foodstuffs, between cheap sandwiches and quick home-cooked regardless.

No it isn't -- tuna is caught in the Atlantic.
You are Edit: only partly correct.

And it doesn't matter where it is caught, although much in the Mediterranian: It is an important ingredient of the Mediterranean diet. Go to Greece or Italy, not to mention Spain, which this thread is all about, and you will find out.

Atlantic, Mediterranian, Carribean, not to mention Japan (Pacific).

I have personally caught tuna in the North Atlantic (Norway), outside Florida in the Carribean, and in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in the Pacific. I have not been fishing in the Meditteranian, or I would have caught it there too. Good food everywhere.

Last edited:

€83,-
I'm too tired for the full rant -- but the original so-called "Mediterranean diet" that was vaunted for its health benefits back in the late 1980s early 90s was in fact the diet of the French South-West.

And that is not tuna/fish, olives, lean meat (calf/lamb/sheep), olive oil, vegetables, etc ; but it is fatty meats stewed with various veg in season (beef, pork, rabbit, lamb, etc etc), sausages, pâtés, ham, other charcuteries, cheeses, yes lashings of olive oil, fish and poultry, conserves and pickles, and all manner of the heaviest French foodstuffs ; with little bread, and then wine with it and so on.

As to the fish, it's more likely to be cod, sardines, trout, mackerel, shellfish, crabs, and so on, rather than the more "noble" species like salmon or tuna. And even then, in any significant quantity only near the water.

Wrong region for olives, they have vineyards instead. Figs and other fruit trees though ...

----

Still, I am very glad to hear that your diet is treating you so well !!

Any concerns regarding mercury levels and the amount of tuna eaten on Camino? The information seems rather misleading with US info rather more alarming than UK for example. I have read Alice in Wonderland and I do not want a tea party!
I have read that the older the fish the higher the number of toxins, which makes sense. Sardines have a lifespan much shorter than tuna, so less bad stuff. Surprisingly, Orange Roughy, a small fish lives longer than we do, and this is worse for you than other rock fishes.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back