• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do these earplugs work?

Bob Howard

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 2018 2022
I think I have tried every type of earplug, and I never found any that worked well, for me. I just did a search on this brand in our forums. The last time it was mentioned appears to be 2018. I can't tell from this website whether there are "new and improved" models. Has anyone tried these in the last year or so, particularly the rather expensive Sleep Pro?

SLP-DUL-TI-GRN-1000x1000_180x.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don’t know - but what works best for me is wax ear plugs that I can reshape and mold to fit my ear just right. Nothing with foam has ever worked well for me. Not sure why it needs aluminum/titanium? Sounds unnecessarily expensive to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried these in the last year or so, particularly the rather expensive Sleep Pro?
Looks suspiciously like what is known as a clockwork orange - an unnecessarily complex solution to a simple problem. My partner uses beeswax wax earplugs as her partner has a tendency to snore (and if we are sleeping in an albergue dorm it is harder for her to prod me to make me stop). They mould very nicely. Their only drawback is a tendency to shrink over time but she reckons they work.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Mack’s earplugs are my personal lifesaver. Wax plugs that create a seal over the opening and blocks out the loudest snorers

Interesting -- I thought I'd tried every possible earplug, but I guess not. I've posted this in other threads about earplugs, but the best I have found are the custom molded type. You can get them through an audiologist in the US for $75-100. I recommend a bright color so they are easily found if dropped.

Next best solution are the wax plugs mentioned earlier. Only downsides are they can be difficult to clean and if you drop them on the albergue floor, well, even the 5-second rule won't help. The solution is to carry a few extra.

Next best solution are the wax plugs mentioned earlier. Only downsides are they can be difficult to clean and if you drop them on the albergue floor, well, even the 5-second rule won't help. The solution is to carry a few extra.

Precisely why I order about 4 boxes of 10 plugs before each Camino. I get about 3 uses before they get tossed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m taking the foam earplugs that you get at the Indy 500 (same kind as those used in a noisy factory or in loud construction sites). I’ve worn earplugs every night and in noisy situations for decades and guess what? My hearing is still as sharp as a teen.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think I have tried every type of earplug, and I never found any that worked well, for me. I just did a search on this brand in our forums. The last time it was mentioned appears to be 2018. I can't tell from this website whether there are "new and improved" models. Has anyone tried these in the last year or so, particularly the rather expensive Sleep Pro?

Ohropax Wax Ear Plugs,

On my first camino I was using the earplugs that I bought at the hardware store for about 50 cents US a pair. They weren't working very well and tended to fall out at night. A Brazilian woman told me to twist the plugs up and after I stick them in my ears to turn them in the opposite direction. In that way they form a really good seal. I have not had a problem since. I buy the plugs that are connected by that rubber string. I think that almost all of them come this way. I cut the string on both ends leaving about an inch of so on the end of the ear plug to easily pull them out in the morning. Who knows maybe this will work for you. If you already did it this way then whoops!!!!

if you go to a french pharmacie , they have a small white box of Boule Quies , they are wax and totally moldable. this is for me the best one but have never tried them on the Camino... hope they work in three weeks :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

With all of my ailments sleep of any kind is very difficult to achieve...even in the best environment.
I went and had a custom pair made at a local hearing aide office. Cost about 140 Canadian.
Huge difference and comfortable to wear.

I used these Flare ear plugs when I did my Camino in 2019. They broke within the first few days. The company were good enough to refund the cost to me, once I sent photographs. For my next Camino in May this year I will use the wax earplugs.

My favorite foam ear plugs are Flents Quiet Please (Amazon). I supply my friends as once they try them they want more. But last fall invested in these very expensive QuietOn ear plugs with active noise cancellation. Not perfect but work well. I just started my Camino, they will get a good test at Ronsavalles Albergue soon. Highly recommend getting them well ahead of your Camino to get used to them. I am very light sleeper and seem to help me. Note charging case is few ounces so that adds weight to pack!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Night shift (retired) doctor here. I have used Macks silicone/wax earplugs for many many years. They are the best that I have found. Like all earplugs, they muffle the sound, but these are the best.

Have you looked into Bose Sleepbuds? They are super expensive but the reviews are good, even for side sleepers.

Have you looked into Bose Sleepbuds? They are super expensive but the reviews are good, even for side sleepers.
Unfortunately, Bose is discontinuing the Sleepbuds after a recall and two tries at different designs. I loved these…when they worked. However, I went through five warranty pairs in two years. The good news is they’re decent earplugs even without sound, so at .1 oz, a broken pair will be walking with me anyway. At least it won’t matter if I lose them.

I just purchased the Anker Soundcore Sleep A10s and they have their pros and cons, but are a good alternative for noise masking earplugs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Look up “Loops” ear plugs. They are lovely.

Are you by chance a side or stomach sleeper? If so, how do the Anker's hold up?
Unfortunately, Bose is discontinuing the Sleepbuds after a recall and two tries at different designs. I loved these…when they worked. However, I went through five warranty pairs in two years. The good news is they’re decent earplugs even without sound, so at .1 oz, a broken pair will be walking with me anyway. At least it won’t matter if I lose them.

I just purchased the Anker Soundcore Sleep A10s and they have their pros and cons, but are a good alternative for noise masking earplugs.

Are you by chance a side or stomach sleeper? If so, how do the Anker's hold up?
I am a side sleeper, with small ears. The Ankers are a bit thicker than the Sleepbuds. Not by too much, but enough to feel it. I feel it more in my left ear but not the right, so I’ve started sleeping on my right side more. The right side is more comfortable than the Sleepbuds, but the left is less so. I’m crooked, I guess!

They come with a small option that doesn’t have the ear loops and that seems to work best for me, but they’re VERY tiny with those on. I do worry that I might lose them in an albergue or something, so that’s why I’m taking the old Sleepbuds that don’t work. They’re not great at passive sound blocking, but they’re fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Try doc pro plugs- unvented. They are very effective

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.