• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do tiny rocks jump into your boots? Cheap, easy, lightweight solution

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
Last year when I wore runner's tights for walking, I found that on some surfaces I had little rocks jump into my boots every ten minutes. Very annoying, and probably also the cause of a blister on the side of my heel.

I didn't want to get heavy waterproof gaiters. Here's a solution that I don't recall ever reading on this forum - it is easy, almost free and weighs only 15 g. And STYLISH like you wouldn't believe.

Take an old pair of women's knee high stockings, preferably the heavier opaque type rather than sheer. Cut off 5-6" (10-15 cm) of the toe end. Pull over foot to sit around the ankle, put on boots, pull cut end down over top of boot, tidy the arrangement, and you are done! I was afraid that they would ride up, exposing the boot top, unless I fastened them somewhere on the shoe. However, I just did a 8 km test walk with no fastener and they did not move. That might depend on your boots and the particular stocking. Also, it might not work with lower shoes, but it is worth trying.

As for Camino chic, my husband (not understanding) said they were ugly. But just check out the photos. I intend to cut these shorter although if too short they might not stay in place.

Attachments

• 20160207_105101[1].jpg
    20160207_105101[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 425
  • 20160207_131742.jpg
    20160207_131742.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 447
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you want to spend money these Dirty Girl lightweight gaiters do the same thing and are cute. But I like your idea of repurposing something you already have.
Yes, I found the Dirty Girl gaitors website, which is what got me thinking about some alternatives. Now that I've confirmed that this works, I am thinking about using something more colourful. The amount of stretch has to be just right in order to stay in place without velcro or other fastener.

I guess they would look quite silly with your sandals!

Yes, although looking silly is my situation normal on camino.. Tap tap, tapping my toes to remove pebbles is a good excuse to pause whenever a hill gets too steep.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bet your idea is also good to provide some extra protection against cold weather as it 'seals' the top of the shoe! I feel very cold there and may apply your technique!

I have a couple of comments on this.......

I have never had a tiny rock jump into my boots on any surface :)
Are you perhaps not lacing up your boots?
Or maybe you walk like a disgruntled teenager kicking up the dust as you go ;) But glad that others have a solution..........:)

As for DirtyGirl Gaiters! What can I say.:rolleyes: Is this a marketing folly? Are they just products for girls? The centre image on the homepage seems to be of a 'girl' with a moustache and beard o_O Or maybe it's my eyesight :eek:

But they do look cool................

At my local pharmacy I was asked a few months ago if I would like to join their 'Girls Club' loyalty program :oops: They have a big push on women's health which is great.

So maybe I am indeed a perfect customer for some Dirty Girl Gaiters........ :rolleyes:

Note. That pharmacy has now started a Boys Club as well ;)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are you perhaps not lacing up your boots? Or maybe you walk like a disgruntled teenager kicking up the dust as you go
Yes, it is curious. I don't think I'm a messy or heavy walker, but maybe have some peculiarity that causes it! It is true that my boots are fairly open at the top. I don't like having them tied especially tightly and I do have skinny ankles. Or it could just be the style.

Yes, it is curious. I don't think I'm a messy or heavy walker, but maybe have some peculiarity that causes it! It is true that my boots are fairly open at the top. I don't like having them tied especially tightly and I do have skinny ankles. Or it could just be the style.

I have the same problem, no matter what boots I'm wearing. So I always wear gaiters.

Then it sounds like you need a pair of those 'Dirty Girls' Gaiters... ;)

I must have fat ankles.... :oops:

Or maybe I walk so slowly, I don't even raise any dust :(

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I am walking in shorts and there is a possibility of kicking small rocks or even sand into my footwear, I wear a simple cotton boot guard. You can find an example here, but there are other variations, colours, etc. They work just as well for shoes as boots. Here in Australia they are normally found in hardware stores, building / trade suppliers and work clothing outfitters.

Last edited:
I like your clever solution! Last year I was finally given a trail name (always wanted one but worried it would be something like Snailpace or Puffy) and it was Pebbles, due to the amount of debris I can collect in my shoes during the day. @C clearly told me about the Dirty Gail gaiters and they seem perfect so far, so I have got two pairs already ... don't judge me. Hopefully I will now need a new trail name.

Last year when I wore runner's tights for walking, I found that on some surfaces I had little rocks jump into my boots every ten minutes. Very annoying, and probably also the cause of a blister on the side of my heel.

I didn't want to get heavy waterproof gaiters. Here's a solution that I don't recall ever reading on this forum - it is easy, almost free and weighs only 15 g. And STYLISH like you wouldn't believe.

Take an old pair of women's knee high stockings, preferably the heavier opaque type rather than sheer. Cut off 5-6" (10-15 cm) of the toe end. Pull over foot to sit around the ankle, put on boots, pull cut end down over top of boot, tidy the arrangement, and you are done! I was afraid that they would ride up, exposing the boot top, unless I fastened them somewhere on the shoe. However, I just did a 8 km test walk with no fastener and they did not move. That might depend on your boots and the particular stocking. Also, it might not work with lower shoes, but it is worth trying.

As for Camino chic, my husband (not understanding) said they were ugly. But just check out the photos. I intend to cut these shorter although if too short they might not stay in place.
Great idea! Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please correct me if I am "seeing" this incorrectly, but, if I roll my two-pair of crew socks over, so the elastic rim of the socks rides just over the scree guard of my mid-height hiking boots, would this not do the same thing, with less weight?

Just thinking out loud...

It might, but then you might find bits of grit and small twigs getting in your socks (I tried various solutions before I settled on gaiters).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Never had a problem with bits getting into my footwear which is why I always go for lightweight mid height boots and not low height shoes or sandals. Each to their own I guess.

Please correct me if I am "seeing" this incorrectly, but, if I roll my two-pair of crew socks over, so the elastic rim of the socks rides just over the scree guard of my mid-height hiking boots, would this not do the same thing, with less weight?
Just thinking out loud...
Yes, that definitely might work just as well. It depends on the shoes/boots and the socks. I wear a lighter sock that doesn't have enough foldover.

I bet your idea is also good to provide some extra protection against cold weather as it 'seals' the top of the shoe! I feel very cold there and may apply your technique!
Yes, it was quite cosy on a cool day and you could even use a heavier knit like a tall sock. However, I was thinking that heavier material could get hot.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As for DirtyGirl Gaiters! What can I say.:rolleyes: Is this a marketing folly? Are they just products for girls? The centre image on the homepage seems to be of a 'girl' with a moustache and beard o_O Or maybe it's my eyesight :eek:
I've used Dirty Girl Gaiters for years when backpacking in shorts. Great for keeping pebbles and those annoying burrs out of my shoes and socks. I'm a boring, dark grey, unisex Dirty Girl, and not very photogenic, so the beard and mustache aren't mine.

Dirty Girl gaiters worked great for me. Mine were psychedelic blue. When I posted a Facebook photo of myself found out my 27 year old nephew wears the same brand but with a dog print. @dougfitz I couldn't find the link to the boot guards but I'd like to try to make some that are waterproof too. With light rain the DG gaiters got wet before my socks did but were understandably useless during a heavy rain.

@dougfitz I couldn't find the link to the boot guards but I'd like to try to make some that are waterproof too. With light rain the DG gaiters got wet before my socks did but were understandably useless during a heavy rain.

You can find an example here
The link is in the word 'here' - repeated above. Mine are cotton, but I have seen waterproof ones, but never contemplated using them in preference to a conventional hiking gaiter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, the fabric looks similar to the Buffs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
C clearly, I like your idea and I will keep it in mind. And pack a pair of nylon stockings cut offs. Good thinking.

Since we usualy have a few pairs of nylon knee-highs anyway to avoid threatening blisters, this looks like an good on-the-Camino solution.

For me, the number of pebbles varies widely with terrain and shoes. But there are always a few.

Love this idea. I’m all for repurposing in this throw away disposable world. Recently I have been thinking about home made ways to keep rain from running into my boots when I’m wearing shorts. I think I’ll try this quick n easy solution. I’ll need to find the right six or I may just end up with soggy ankles.
Thx for a great idea

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Mar Orego
English is not my first language but I will try my best.
I see you are interested to this topic so I will reply even is an old topic. For myself I had this problem when I walked the Camino I had to stop very often to remove these little rocks inside my shoes and sometimes they was as little than 3 millimeters. But I one day I remember I had with me "dirty girl gaiter" and after this moment no more little rocks.

I have no commercial interest with this brand, they are so lightweight, do their job and they no cost a lot

La Brique

Gaiters.. love em in the rain and love em in the sun.They can be water tight or highly breathable and are available in various weights and lengths to fine tune your concerns/needs with comfort. I bought Outdoor Research verglas gaiters for my last camino in early April and they kept my boots dry and my pants clean. Oh ya.... they kept rocks from hopping in my boots too, a win win!

The link is in the word 'here' - repeated above. Mine are cotton, but I have seen waterproof ones, but never contemplated using them in preference to a conventional hiking gaiter.
link goes to overall selection of accessories, such as polish, insoles...nothing that would keep rocks out of shoes, though. Maybe they dropped your product?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a couple of comments on this.......

Are you perhaps not lacing up your boots?
Or maybe you walk like a disgruntled teenager kicking up the dust as you go ;) But glad that others have a solution..........:)

But they do look cool................

At my local pharmacy I was asked a few months ago if I would like to join their 'Girls Club' loyalty program :oops: They have a big push on women's health which is great.

So maybe I am indeed a perfect customer for some Dirty Girl Gaiters........ :rolleyes:

Note. That pharmacy has now started a Boys Club as well ;)
Yes its a thing. I'm one who always gets stones- in gumboots Im the one who wipes up up my legs with every step. Clearly I am a messy walker. I can walk with 4 other people and be the only one getting gravel in my shoes.

I wear socks with somewhat tall tops. Then I scruch the excess down in the top of my boots. That makes a second rate block for most small "things" that I pick up when hiking.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.