• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do Trains Sell Out

CSmith

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2017
Hey all,

After a wonderful Camino experience last year, I am coming back this year to walk a different part with my daughter. We will fly into Madrid and site see in other cities before making our way to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Regarding our entire trip in Spain, is it prudent to pre-book train tickets or is it safe to assume one can show up at a train station on the day of and always get a ticket?

Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can't speak to the entire trip, but due to illness I took a train from Mansilla de las Mulas to León and merely had t show up, and then, at the end I had unexpectedly to return home quickly from Santiago, rather than head on to Portugal and so I had a last-minute booking to Irún, and then another last-minute connection to book from Hendaye to Bordeaux. It was all quite easy and effortless.
At one point I put a friend on the bus from Viana into Logrono because his feet were so injured with blisters etc. That was also easy -- one merely paid the driver. Waiting for the bus seemed like forever.
On other trips in Spain, I've taken the train to and from a variety of locations and never had trouble with a last-minute trip.

For long-distance trains you always need a reserved seat and in busy periods it is quite possible that all seats have been sold. If I needed to travel at a particular time on a given day then I would book in advance. There is also the possibility of a sizeable discount for doing so in the less busy periods.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One place where trains are often sold out is out of Santiago to Madrid. I always recommend that you should book your train as soon as you get to SdC as soon as you know your Madrid date. There is a RENFE agent right beside the Pilgrim Office where one gets the Compostela (but I think that, if you are getting your 60+ discount tarjeta dorada, you need to get that at a station, although this may have changed recently).

There is a RENFE agent right beside the Pilgrim Office where one gets the Compostela (but I think that, if you are getting your 60+ discount tarjeta dorada, you need to get that at a station, although this may have changed recently).

Can one get the 60+ discount if your from outside Spain? or the EU?

One place where trains are often sold out is out of Santiago to Madrid. I always recommend that you should book your train as soon as you get to SdC as soon as you know your Madrid date. There is a RENFE agent right beside the Pilgrim Office where one gets the Compostela (but I think that, if you are getting your 60+ discount tarjeta dorada, you need to get that at a station, although this may have changed recently).

Yes trains sell out. Especially during summer months at popular places. i.e. San Sebastián (Donostia) to Irun... Seville to Lisboa.... Cadiz to Seville during holidays...etc

Can still get your Tarjeta dorada at the train station. Well worth the price in savings. But, not valid on the AVE runs.

Buses are a great option as well.

With either one, train or bus, buy ticket or make reservation, as soon as you can.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes trains do sell out. Sometimes when you look on line at Renfe.com you will see that the trains are sold out. If you definitely know when you are returning suggest you purchase in advance. One can usually buy the high speed trains cheaper 60 days out. most of the time you can’t but it any sooner.

If you want further train info look at
https://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm
Mark’s website should answer any other questions and you can send him a message if you can not find the answer there!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, you can get senior discount on line. But only if you have the Tarjeta Dorada card already.

BTW sometimes Renfe is not user friendly. man in seat 61 reviews the various options besides Renfe for purchasing tickets on line.

Last edited:
Here is what man in seat 61 says about senior discount in Spain

• Seniors over 60: In most cases the best advice for a visitor to Spain making one or two pre-planned train trips is to forget being senior, just go online in advance and buy a cheap advance-purchase Promo fare, which is up to 60% cheaper than the Flexible price whatever your age. However, if you are over 60 you can buy a Tarjeta Dorada card for around €6 which gives a 25%-40% discount on Renfe's Flexible full-price fare - no discount on Promo or Promo+ fares. You can only buy a Tarjeta Dorada card at Renfe stations or agencies when you get to Spain, and you can only buy reduced-fare tickets at stations or online at Renfe.com when you have the card number. You'll find full details if you go to www.renfe.com and look for the Tarjeta Dorada page.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm far from an expert but when I travelled Santiago to Madrid the train was full and people could not travel, luckily I had bought my ticket the night before. Madrid to Seville I had a booking and the train seemed prety full as well.

Hey all,

After a wonderful Camino experience last year, I am coming back this year to walk a different part with my daughter. We will fly into Madrid and site see in other cities before making our way to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Regarding our entire trip in Spain, is it prudent to pre-book train tickets or is it safe to assume one can show up at a train station on the day of and always get a ticket?

Thank you.

If you are travelling during a holiday season or on one the major Spanish public holidays then yes they do fill up, especially if you wish to travel first class with a guaranteed seat. You can book on line via the RENFE site up to 50-60 days in advance. But as you will be in Madrid you can "wing it" and book when you arrive. From memory there are only two (maybe three) trains from Madrid to Pamplona. I know one departs from Attocha station around 10.00/10.30 and gets in around 2.30 (but don't hold me to these times). Buen Camino.

Can one get the 60+ discount if your from outside Spain? or the EU?
I bought my ticket whilst I was in Leon, but even after showing my passport of Áussie drivers licence which showed my age (over 65) I don't think I received the seniors discount. I seem to recall I did get it when I booked on line. If you are an EU citizen then yes you will get the discount.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey all,

Thank you.
Pre book

I left booking a train from Lugo to Madrid until 2 days before and it was completo so I had to take the bus.

To get the discount you have to buy the Tarjeta Dorada, which costs less than 5 euros and is good for a year. That then entitles you to a huge discount on trains (up to 40% I believe), including the Cercanías line. As others have said, your passport is proof of age.
So this means you have to buy the card beforehand, in Spain? That means it is not possible to book online before you go to Spain?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So this means you have to buy the card beforehand, in Spain? That means it is not possible to book online before you go to Spain?

I have never seen any online purchase option, and I have always bought it at a RENFE office or station (easiest place for me is at the RENFE office at the entrance to Cercanías in T4 in Barajas. I infer from this posting in Spanish by RENFE about the card that purchases must be done in person. http://www.renfe.com/GA/viajeros/tarifas/tarjeta_dorada.html

Regarding our entire trip in Spain, is it prudent to pre-book train tickets or is it safe to assume one can show up at a train station on the day of and always get a ticket?

Thank you.
If you are past 60, you can buy a senior discount tag. You can buy it at the same time you buy the ticket. at the station It will last for one year from date and entitles you to 25% (!) discount on most trains in Spain. I bought one this March, and will use it for my September Camino :) Buy it at a RENFE office (train station). I have never in all my years in Spain experienced a full train at show-up the same day, but I usually buy my ticket 1-2 days beforehand, for planning purposes, and also because you will get a good discount in addition if you buy in advance. Buses are a very good alternative: They stop every 3-4 hour at a cafe for a good rest/food (and a cigarette...).

In general, public transportation in Spain is highly reliable, regular, friendly, siviliced, and would you believe: Much more trustworthy than in my own country, Norway, which is considered to be a developed country.. which Spain is much better at. In all matters.

Edit: To make it clear: My comment is based on the fact that when I am in a place and want to leave the next day, I walk to the station, buy my ticket, check the surroundings, so I am prepared for the next day's travel. But I have also just gone to the station the same day, bought my ticket, and jumped on the train. Has always worked.

Last edited:
I have never seen any online purchase option, and I have always bought it at a RENFE office or station (easiest place for me is at the RENFE office at the entrance to Cercanías in T4 in Barajas. I infer from this posting in Spanish by RENFE about the card that purchases must be done in person. http://www.renfe.com/GA/viajeros/tarifas/tarjeta_dorada.html
Thank you for your answer. I have always booked tickets beforehand earlier. This time I will arrive in Madrid and stay overnight before going to Oviedo by train. So (thinking aloud) I could go to Chamartin station and buy the card and the ticket for the next day? Or do you know if there is a Renfe office at T2?

Thank you for your answer. I have always booked tickets beforehand earlier. This time I will arrive in Madrid and stay overnight before going to Oviedo by train. So (thinking aloud) I could go to Chamartin station and buy the card and the ticket for the next day? Or do you know if there is a Renfe office at T2?
Chamartin is a long way from the centre of Madrid. I recommend a taxi. Or take a short walk to the Atosha station in the centre of Madrid.

Last edited:

Hi, Tulle,
There is no Renfe office in T2, only in T4. But it is easy enough to get there from T2, just take the intra-airport but (free) over to T4. That would be the easiest way to get a ticket for the next day on Renfe, IMO.

From T4, you can then take Cercanías into Madrid (only goes into T4), which I think is the best way to get into central Madrid from the airport. Faster than metro or bus, no pickpockets, great service. Your tarjeta dorada will also give you 40% off on Cercanías tickets, but that is minimal since the tickets are so cheap.

The card does not give you a discount on the cheaper express trains. See my post above. Therefore, you are financially better off buying in advance as long as you are sure you can make that train as the cheap tickets do not allow refunds for changes.
Trains do sell out!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The card does not give you a discount on the cheaper express trains. See my post above. Therefore, you are financially better off buying in advance as long as you are sure you can make that train as the cheap tickets do not allow refunds for changes.
Trains do sell out!
Tarjeta dorada holders get discounts on all trains. It is true that sometimes PROMO fares are cheaper than tarjeta dorada fares, and you can’t double up your discounts.

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/tarifas/tarjeta_dorada.html

Yes, to further clarify, the Promo fares (which are the cheaper fares that one books in advance) are usually the cheapest fares one can get. Think about them like you might be buying a cheap airline ticket. The closer you get to departure time the less likely they will be available depending upon demand. So buying 60 days out is preferable. You will not get a discount on these Promo tickets (cheaper seats) as they are usually cheaper than one would get with the discount card.

If you are sure you can make the train...Promo fares are usually the best deal.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.