• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do we have to pre register before our trip?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If by this you mean can one obtain a pilgrim passport (credential) when you get to St Jean or do you need to obtain one from the UK before you leave both options are possible.

It is not necessary to register on the Camino but whoever you obtain your passport from will take a note of your name etc whether it is the CSJ in the UK or the person/refugio you obtain it from in France or Spain.

Buen Camino
William

Hi Frosty. The only 'registering' that you need is to possess a pilgrim passport. If you have that then you can enter the Camino anywhere and anytime.

When you stay in a refugio you will be asked for your (pilgrim) passport so that they can stamp it. They also tend to look at the previous stamps to see where you stayed last, to check if you are actually a pilgrim or a wanderer just looking for a cheap place to stay ... so, get your pilgrim passport and you are ready to go. :wink:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi I was wondering similar question. But I have my passport but am starting my walk from Triacastella as am geeing a lift and dropped off there. Can you tell me do I just go to a bar or Church to show where I have started from ??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Triacastela has a beautiful church with a very nice sello.

Attachments

• IMG_1687 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_1687 (480x640).jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 4,466
Hi , Time has flown by and I now leave in 4 days to start 100 miles of the Camino. I was talking to a friend who walked from Sarria to Santiago last week and she found it difficult getting stamps. Many of the churches and buildings were closed. She stayed in some Hotels and didn't ask there, Can anyone tell me if I choose to sleep in hotels one or two nights to get a good sleep can I ask albergues for a stamp even though I do not choose to stay there as I pass them or is this rude? Also do any hotels have stamps. Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm planning on starting in Sarria as well. I'm coming from Canada. Would it be better to get a pilgrams passport here (they can be purchased on line, or can you get one for free?) or can you get one when you arrive in Sarria? Are there any prerequisites or advanced notice, etc. for getting one in Spain or is it a simple matter of just getting one when you arrive?
The guidebook that I have shows two locations to get your passport in Sarria: The Concello and Sauta Marina. Is this correct?
My guide book also indicated that if you are doing the last 100km, you need 2 stamps per day to obtain the Compostela when you end. Is this true? Are there any requirements for the stamp - meaning - specific locations you need a stamp from versus a restaraunt or hostel.

thanks for any help

boertjes said:
I'm planning on starting in Sarria as well. I'm coming from Canada. Would it be better to get a pilgrams passport here (they can be purchased on line, or can you get one for free?) or can you get one when you arrive in Sarria? Are there any prerequisites or advanced notice, etc. for getting one in Spain or is it a simple matter of just getting one when you arrive?
The guidebook that I have shows two locations to get your passport in Sarria: The Concello and Sauta Marina. Is this correct?
My guide book also indicated that if you are doing the last 100km, you need 2 stamps per day to obtain the Compostela when you end. Is this true? Are there any requirements for the stamp - meaning - specific locations you need a stamp from versus a restaraunt or hostel.

thanks for any help

It feels great to have a Credential before you leave, but not necessary you can get one before you leave, & yes you need 2 stamps minimum each day to obtain you Compestella, their is plenty of space for more than two, no specific place morning & evening means they check you are not catching buses or taxis(not full proof). The stamps grow on you, hope you get some hand drawn ones :)
Buen Camino
David

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ooops, that was not that clear, was it!

Ordering a Credential before you leave, is great because you feel like you've got your "passport" to your camino. It is not necessary as you can obtain them in Sarria:
el-camino-frances/topic10358.html

We started our Camino @ 0430 in Astorga so was a good idea to have our Credential's.
Buen Camino
David

It always amazes me when folk ask "Where can I get my pilgrim's passport - the credencia?" Look down the bottom of this page!!!

The requirement of TWO stamps per day may relate only to those doing the final 100 kms. I certainly had no such requirement last year walking from Porto.

Buen camino!

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This issue obstinately resists definitive clarification, as it has been raised several times in the past, under various titles, eg see the three sites below for clarification . The entries from our veteran and indeed valiant poster ‘Johnnie Walker’, I would particularly recommend.

soch

el-camino-frances/topic10816.html
“PASSPORT STAMP REQUIREMENT”
20 posts May 2011

el-camino-frances/topic8991.html
The "2-stamps-rule"
15 posts July-Aug 2010

frequently-asked-questions/topic8976.html

“Worried about getting a Credencial or Pilgrims' Passport?”
5 posts June 2010

From the Archdiocese website in English:
The Compostela
From the earliest days of the pilgrimage there was a desire for the completion of the journey to be recognised in some way. Pilgrims used the scallop shell as a symbol of their arrival at the Tomb of St James. However this simple practice was easily debased. Vendors started to sell shells to pilgrims as they entered the city. Due to the prevalence of fraudulent practices the Church had to impose the penalty of excommunication on the perpetrators. From the 13th century onwards documents called “evidential letters” were used as a more effective way of recording a completed pilgrimage. These are the direct roots of the Compostela.

The Compostela was an important and useful document for pilgrims. In the 16th century the Catholic Monarchs constituted the Foundation of the Royal Hospital and ordered the construction of a hospital for pilgrims in Santiago. This was housed in the building now occupied by the Hotel Hostal de los Reyes Católicos . On presentation of their Compostela pilgrims were allowed to stay in the hospital for three days. The hospital looked after pilgrims’ health needs and it became the most important hospital in Galicia. Later in its history it became the centre of the faculty of Medicine of the University of Santiago de Compostela. In 1954 it was converted to a state run Parador hotel. However the hotel continues the tradition of pilgrim hospitality by providing free meals for three days to 10 pilgrims on production of the Compostela.

In the 20th century the growth of pilgrims arriving in Santiago by vehicular transport gave rise to a concern that the aspects of effort and sacrifice previously characteristic of the pilgrimage may be lost or diminished. It was also the case that there was a growth in certificates issued by other bodies which sought to imitate the traditional Compostela. Therefore the Cathedral of Santiago decided that to gain a Compostela a pilgrim had to provide evidence on a credencial that they had walked or travelled on horseback at least the last 100kms of their journey to Santiago and, if travelling by bicycle, the last 200kms. That rule still stands today.

To be awarded the Compostela:

You need to have made the pilgrimage for religious reasons or for a similar motivation such as a vow.
You need to have walked or travelled on horseback at least the last 100kms, or cycled the last 200kms, to arrive at the tomb of the Apostle in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.
You should collect at least two sellos (stamps) each day on your credencial. This will usually be where you sleep and one other place such as a Church, ayuntamiento, café etc. You must ensure that you do this at least in the last 100 kms from the Cathedral of Santiago if you are walking or on horseback and 200 kms if you are travelling by bicycle.

You may walk the Camino in stages: however if you are walking the last 100kms, or cycling the last 200kms, in stages you must obtain a sello with the date in the place you stopped and obtain another sello with the date from the same place on the day you start again.

Children walking the Camino: Children who have made the pilgrimage with parents, or in a group, and who have an understanding of the religious and spiritual nature of the Camino may also receive a Compostela. However if they are not yet old enough a certificate can be provided which bears the child’s name. In the case of very young children their names can be inscribed on the Compostela of the accompanying adult. If you have any questions about this please ask in the Pilgrims’ Office.

If you need to get your passport in Sarria the places are:

1. Santa Marina, Rua Maior: open 11-13.00 and 18-21.00 but closed Mondays
2. Nuestra Senora de Rosario, Gran via Alfonso IX: open 10.30-13.30 and 17-20.00, closed Wednesday
3. Monasterio de Madalena, Rua de Mercede; open 10-13.00 and 16.30-19.00 - knock at the cloister door.
The Concello and tourist information do not give passports now.

Sta Marina is right on the main street and right on the camino, easy to find but the guy keeps Spanish time, for 11.00 read anytime after that.
Whether it is better to get one before you start, or in Sarria depnends on what time you will arrive in Sarria, but if you are going to arrive tired and unsure of your surroundings it may be better to get one before you come.
Whatever you do, buen camino!
Sue

Do I need to show some "real" ID in order to get my credenti

Hi,

I am going to walk part of the Camino Frances in a few weeks (from Burgos to Santiago).

I live in Barcelona, and will travel to Burgos by bus, and I will (hopefully) travel from Santiago back to Barcelona by train.

My question is, do I actually need to bring some "real ID" with me in order to get my credential (camino passport) in Burgos? I will get my credential at an albergue in Burgos, but I dont know if I will need to show some real ID in order to get my credential. I would prefer to not actually bring my real passport with me (its light, but it still weighs something, and its valuable).

Thanks for your help.

Aidan

I doubt that you will need anything to get the credencial. However, your passport will be requested at most accommodations, almost always in hostales and in some albergues, Ferramenteiro in Portomarin comes to mind, where they electronically scan your passport or deny admission (for non-EU pilgrims).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you a Spanish citizen? If so, I think you only need the EU identity card...otherwise you will be asked for your passport at many places including those listed by Falcon.

Can you get another passport along the way if you fill it up with stamps? I sound like such a keener...lol I like stamps.

Can you get another passport along the way if you fill it up with stamps? I sound like such a keener...lol I like stamps.

Yes you can. Many, but not all, pilgrim albergues have additional passports for sale at a nominal charge.

MM

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Yes, you can, just one word of caution regarding "stamp collecting" if all your stamps are only from bars that may raise some eye brows ;-) SY

Make sure to differentiate between a "passport" and a "pilgrim passport/camino passport" or a credencial. You sometimes need both to get a bed in an albergue.
Also, the stamps/sellos are rubber stamps, not stamps you use to mail a letter (does anyone remember what a letter is?).
Different entities provide crdencials with slightly different formats. My first was filled up by the time I reached Rabanal on the CF. I picked up a second and continued. When I arrived in Santiago, no one questioned whether I had two stamps per day - I had two full credencials!!
Just want to make sure there's no misunderstanding.
For me, my credencials were more precious to me than my passport. I could replace my passport. I couldn't replace my credencials.

To the Canadian asking about the credential.......you can get a very nice one from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. Check their website for application, details, etc. you do need to be a member which cost ten dollars and the a small charge for the credential. And you can order a badge to put on your pack at the same time.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not exactly a reply, but a parallel question - if starting in Jaca, credential in hand but wondering if registered, and if not, where to? Thanks
Bunny
Hi I was wondering similar question. But I have my passport but am starting my walk from Triacastella as am geeing a lift and dropped off there. Can you tell me do I just go to a bar or Church to show where I have started from ??

I have just removed a couple of snide unhelpful remarks. It is great to see experienced forum members being helpful and answering questions. We were all new to this once.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It may be helpful for folks new to the Camino or new to the forum to refer to the pilgrim credential/passport as "credential" to avoid the obvious confusion.

As others have posted above.....there is no central place to "register"
Pilgrims start from just about every place along the various Caminos.

The Pilgrim Office in St Jean Pied de Port keeps track of who they issue credentials to..but that is for their records and statistics. Many people start in SJPdP with their own credential issued by their national Pilgrim organization and never go in the pilgrim office.

The stats we see about numbers each year only include those who get a credential in St. Jean and/or obtain a Compostella in Santiago. There are many thousands who are not counted.

Those that start elsewhere or don't go into pilgrim office in Santiago for a Compostella are not included in the statistics.

The Camino is very loosely organized, to the surprise of many.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.