• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do we have to stop at a border crossing to show passport?

rsloss

Hello, if we are starting our pilgrimage on the French side, do we have to show our passport at a border crossing when we walk into Spain?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you go over the Napoleon Pass, right at the top - some 5,000 feet, there is a small timber guard post where the customs officials wear traditional Napoleonic era uniforms (some hangover of tradition I suppose), and you have to trade in your French Euros for Spanish Euros ..

the exchange rate is 1:1 :wink:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I walked over the Napoleon Pass, I somehow missed realising that I had 'changed over' into Spain, until I saw this sign along the path, and I realised I wasn't in a French-speaking land anymore!

Attachments

• IMG_2195.jpg
    IMG_2195.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 972
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes - the Euro is named the Euro as it is European currency and Napoleonic uniforms at a Spanish border the Spanish would not find funny at all! :wink:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The day that we crossed the Pyrenees from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port the weather was very poor with freezing rain at the top so we took the van ride with the backpacks that other braver pilgrims didn't want to carry. At the point where we crossed over into Spain the van was stopped by the Guardia Civil,
one of whom was carrying a machine gun. They were very polite and checked everyones passports or European Identity cards, I had a feeling there might be a problem when I gave them my passport because when I flew into Paris from Canada it wasn't stamped at the airport. I was right they gathered into a huddle with my passport some distance from the van and after a few minutes sent one of the younger guards who spoke very good English over to talk to me. After I explained that I entered Europe at Paris and my passport wasn't stamped and that the year before I had flown into Rome and had the same experience there he smiled, returned my passport and waved us on.

Might have been around a time that ETA was acting up. The last time I was there (Sept 2007), the authorities had luckily foiled a car bomb plot in Logrono just days before I got there. There was still police tape up the morning I walked out of Logrono & there were wanted posters up in every albergue.

Kelly

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back