• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do we need to pre-book on the Camino Frances

Kam Wong

Time of past OR future Camino
First attempt Camino Frances (Sep to Nov 2017)
Hi again

We will start walking our first Camino after September 20. Do we need to reserve any more accommodation on the route?
We have already at Orisson and Roncesvalles online. We do not know how well we can walk and so how do we reserve on the route? We will carry a cell phone.
Where is a must place that needs reservation? We both are "slow" walkers and probably will not get to a public aubergue anytime before 2 pm (even we start at 7 am). Any suggestions? Private aubergue?
Thanks so much

Anjulia and Kam

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The crowds will be thinning by the end of September, so you do not NEED to book ahead. However, if you want peace of mind, you can call a day ahead. Municipal albergues generally do not take reservations. Private albergues and hostales will.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Late september at seven o'clock in the morning will still be dark.....

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Personally, I would book SJPP, Roncesvalles, and Santiago.
The rest of the way should be fine in September.
Of course you'll have to wait until you are close to Santiago to book it. A couple of days ahead should be fine. And I'll put in a plug for the please I stayed - Hotel/Albergue LaSalle. I had sent a suitcase ahead to Santiago from SJPDP using the Express Bourricot service, and Hotel LaSalle provides the storage facilities there, and offers a discount to those who used the service. I phoned them about 5 days before I arrived in Santiago at a very busy time - the beginning of August, and had no trouble getting a room. I had only booked for one night, because I was planning to start walking to the coast the next day, but my plans changed, and they were able to accommodate me for another day. I also stayed there for two nights following my Muxia/Finisterre walk, making that reservation just a couple of days before I arrived.

Hi again
We both are "slow" walkers and probably will not get to a public aubergue anytime before 2 pm (even we start at 7 am). Any suggestions? Private aubergue?
Thanks so much

Anjulia and Kam
Hello to both of you,

To make things less confusing for you, as you seem to be a bit off in your camino terminology:

Albergues can be municipal, parochial, but also private. These are dorm type, with a few of them offering a few individual or double rooms, for an extra fee.

Then there are pensiones and hostales, more along the lines of B&B or what we call in French an auberge.

So you can stay in dorm type places which are private, and which can be reserved ahead of time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked in late September/early October. No problem in general, but I had some inconvenients in Leon (San Froilan feast -beware!) and Portomarin (a big group of cyclists). Both times the hospitalera took the phone, made some calls and got us a bed (in the suburbs, in Leon, in a hostal, in P.). I never met a pilgrim saying that s/he had not found a place to sleep. If you don' t want to worry about this, make reservations just one or two days before.
This time I stayed mostly in private albergues, so I can't tell you about muni or parochial ones.

Hola @Kam Wong; fully agree about booking for St Jean; Orisson; Roncesvalles. If you are intending to stay an extra day in Pamplona you might need to book there. From there on you should have no problems. I would recommend rest days in Burgos & Leon so you might want to book those extra nights - 2 days ahead should be OK (unless there is some festival). I stayed Le Salle in Santiago - not bad for the price, but its a bit out the city centre!

Hola
[QUOTE="Saint Mike II, post: 548154, member: 20994"]Hola [USER=72786]@Kam Wong; I stayed Le Salle in Santiago - not bad for the price, but its a bit out the city centre!
I mentioned LaSalle, because though it is a bit out of the center, they did have rooms/beds during a very busy time. I knew one guy who couldn't find a room in Santiago, and walked back to Monte de Gozo.[/USER][/QUOTE]

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Of course you'll have to wait until you are close to Santiago to book it. A couple of days ahead should be fine. And I'll put in a plug for the please I stayed - Hotel/Albergue LaSalle. I had sent a suitcase ahead to Santiago from SJPDP using the Express Bourricot service, and Hotel LaSalle provides the storage facilities there, and offers a discount to those who used the service. I phoned them about 5 days before I arrived in Santiago at a very busy time - the beginning of August, and had no trouble getting a room. I had only booked for one night, because I was planning to start walking to the coast the next day, but my plans changed, and they were able to accommodate me for another day. I also stayed there for two nights following my Muxia/Finisterre walk, making that reservation just a couple of days before I arrived.

I like staying in the pilgrim rooms at San Martin Pinario, right across the street from the Cathedral - and almost everyone knows when they will be leaving Santiago, so it's not difficult to book ahead. It may be easier to book a hotel.

I like staying in the pilgrim rooms at San Martin Pinario, right across the street from the Cathedral - and almost everyone knows when they will be leaving Santiago, so it's not difficult to book ahead. It may be easier to book a hotel.
But not everyone knows when they will arrive to Santiago. :p

But not everyone knows when they will arrive to Santiago. :p

We could just go back and forth forever about this, couldn't we? :p

I book Santiago every year because no matter how many days I walk, I do know what day I arrive in Santiago and what day I'm leaving. But that's me.

I am now booking a trip for for June 2018 and am finding many places booked up already, so for ME, booking ahead is important, especially in Santiago.

Just a couple of days ago, someone posted that pilgrims in Santiago were having a LOT of difficulty finding beds.

I prefer not to have to worry about that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks all.
We have booked at SKPDP for 2 nights on September 19 and 20. But cannot get one at Orrison on the 21. Asking if we can stay at Gitr Kayola instead. Paid deposit for 2 beds at Roncesvalles for Sep 22.
The worst is to stay in SJPDP FOR extra night before walking

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back